Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Alfond378 t1_itxdixk wrote

They should just get rid of them outright. Massachusetts doesn't use temporary tags. You get your metal plate from the dealer when you purchase the car or register it first at the registry of motor vehicles before you drive it off the lot. It's not that hard of a system to implement.

Kitchen_Software t1_itxdy3f wrote

I thought that was the case. Bought a car in Boston 10 years ago and could’ve sworn I walked out with metal plates

Snow_source t1_itxoen4 wrote

MA does have temp tags, it’s just they’re only issued in limited circumstances, like you ordered a vanity or specialty plate. All the RMVs can give you a normal plate pretty much on-demand, hence why the dealers can get ahold of them prior to you driving your car away.

Susurrus03 t1_itxxf3t wrote

To be fair, when I registered my car in DC (transfered from elsewhere), I got my tags then and there.

Though, my other car around the same time I bought at a dealer in Virginia and it needed long enough to get my DC tags that I needed new temp tags.

Odd enough, the first car has a higher number than the second car despite me getting the first car's tags earlier.

Throwaway2theplate t1_itxgaw3 wrote

But pointless government jobs!

−15

Obvious-Design8030 t1_ity80iy wrote

What does that have to do with anything? You would still need the government to register and issue a plate, regardless of when and where it occurs. This is because car dealers want a step less friction to sell their wares.