Submitted by DerErdkundeMeister t3_ybl14s in washingtondc

I love going to repertory screenings for classic films, and now that I’ve moved here, I would love to find people to meet up with to go to places like Suns, Landmark E Street, AFI Silver, etc. Does anyone know of any good film appreciation club/meetup groups in the DC area that I could check out? I browsed Meetup.com but haven’t had much luck there (unless I’m missing something), and sadly there’s not much interest among my work colleagues for this kind of stuff.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Solid_Quail t1_itgxgkz wrote

Alamo Drafthouse has a film club and it's a pretty good group of folks. You can message them on socials or just go to an event marked film club, and talk to the host there for more info! Good mix of classic, campy, and cult classic films.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlamoDC

DerErdkundeMeister OP t1_itinq7q wrote

Thinking this just might be the move! Thanks. How’s turnout for the Film Club series usually? Is there a chance to chat with people before/after the screenings?

twenty-six-sixty-six t1_itho7uj wrote

I've been looking for something similar. I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and make a meetup group. I'll make another comment here when it's ready.

NPRjunkieDC t1_ithmkav wrote

There's a few showings in a small space in Mount Pleasant (between Adam's Morgan and Columbia Heights ). Indie /Film club movies

retrohangglider t1_itvrous wrote

Also in Mount Pleasant, Lost Origins Gallery is starting an "Altered States"-themed film series next week.

elephantsarechillaf t1_itogy79 wrote

If you're down to start one I'd help you out! Maybe we can do a discord? I go to 3 films a week usually and am always trying to find a group of people who love film just as much as me.

NPRjunkieDC t1_ithmu5c wrote

Recommend Argentina 1985 streaming. It was a big hit at the recent AFI Latin American festival .

This is a list of movies my friend liked at the festival

Argentina 1985+Plaza Catedral +15 ways to kill your neighbor (Petite Fleur)+ Chile 1976+ Wandering heart (same director Relatos Selvajes) +the Silence of the Mole .+ Empleador y el Empleado Uruguay

−1