Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dcmarkie t1_ixxcss8 wrote

DC follows the National Electric Code for all buildings.

GFCI is required within six feet of any sink or water source.

mmarkDC t1_ixy2irw wrote

This is incorrect.

Some versions of the National Electrical Code require GFCI, and some versions do not. Which one applies to a particular building in DC depends on the date of construction, date of most recent renovation, how many units the building has, and a few other factors. DC does not apply NEC updates retroactively by default.

alumni_audit OP t1_ixxnd4y wrote

Source?

dcmarkie t1_ixxrvr4 wrote

The 2017 DC Construction Codes consist of the 2015 International Code Council (ICC) family of model codes, the 2014 National Electrical Code... https://dob.dc.gov/page/dc-construction-codes

Section 210.8(A) of NEC https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/all-codes-and-standards/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=70

alumni_audit OP t1_ixxsb7p wrote

MVP!!!!!!!

kungpaochi t1_ixxv8rg wrote

Here's the catch though. That's for new construction. Whenever renovations are done, new code applies, but you do have tons of buildings like yours where it's not up to current code and that old stuff gets grandfathered in. If it met code when it was made then it can stay.

violet-shift t1_iy01w1h wrote

I'm curious if the fact that it already shocked someone makes a difference, though? That implies its actively unsafe, not just potentially so.

I think its still worth it for the OP to reach out to the OTA for advice.

kungpaochi t1_iy02mfi wrote

It's still worth asking yes. But no, that doesn't change anything. For reference I'm an electrical engineer in building design, I've designed many of the residential mixed use high rises in DC. There might be some route I'm not aware of. The owner can't be compelled to change it just by the fact that it doesn't meet current code, but the owner should definitely hear about it. They can also just give that branch a GFCI breaker without replacing the outlets.