Submitted by Chaiwok t3_zpy5it in washingtondc

The Anthem has now added two shows for the Death Cab/Postal Service tour after pretending that the only available tickets were at Merriweather. These tours are meticulously planned. Are we supposed to believe that these were just added into the calendar at the last minute? How is this allowed to happen and not deceptive advertising and creating artificial scarcity?

https://twitter.com/TheAnthemDC/status/1604884463317618688

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

St1834 t1_j0veaow wrote

The first Anthem show was actually added an hour before the general on sale.

And yes, it's common for tours to have additional dates and venues "on hold" to announce if tickets sell well. It's part of the meticulous planning. They probably added the first Anthem date because pre-sale at MPP went well. Then they added the second Anthem date because the on-sale for those two shows went well.

Chaiwok OP t1_j0vh4rv wrote

This show was announced well after the pre-sales that were basically open to the public. Lots of people bought tickets with no idea that another show was coming, exactly as you pointed out.

These "additional dates" are now about as genuine as an encore. They're carefully planned to maximize revenue. Death Cab has played at least two shows at the Anthem (including one this year), so the promoters/venue owners already have a great sense of the demand for these tickets.

−14

St1834 t1_j0vj9i7 wrote

It's actually the opposite. They keep these dates in reserve and only actually go ahead with them if there's demand. Especially now, with the exorbitant cost of touring, you don't want to do multiple shows in a location unless they're sell-outs or close to it.

So, of course, with the Death Cab show from this year at the Anthem, they would be cautious about doing too much in the DC area. And the demand for that show doesn't really tell them anything about what it'd be like at the much, much larger MPP. But, they saw from the demand there that it was worth adding one show at the Anthem. And they saw based on the sellout there that it was worth adding another.

Evaderofdoom t1_j0w1f59 wrote

Jeez, I've never seen someone so mad at additional dates for bands they I suspect like? It's weird, that your so worked up, bands add and change dates all the time. It is far from a new thing and will happen again. Everything is flud...

floppydisk1995 t1_j0vp5k2 wrote

I'm shocked that MPP sold out already. Did Gen Z recently discover Postal Service or something?

topher180 t1_j0vuz3w wrote

No it’s just us old millennials with disposable income who have been itching for live music and love reminiscing on our youth.

braaaaaaaaaaaah t1_j0xd49l wrote

Didn’t Postal Service only ever tour like once before? Seems like an incredible opportunity for most fans to see them for the first time, rather than just a reunion tour.

RemySchnauzer t1_j0woe3s wrote

I was also surprised but I recently relocated from NOVA to the Raleigh, NC, area and know a handful of people from here that got tickets to MPP (and I don't exactly have a lot of friends). I think lots of people are willing to travel for this show.

I personally missed out on the MPP tix and am very excited to have snagged tix to the first Anthem show.

madmoneymcgee t1_j0vlntx wrote

So maybe I didn't just completely skip over the Anthem dates when I was looking up the the Meriweather "DC" date.

[deleted] t1_j0xo749 wrote

[deleted]

rlpw t1_j0ytm8q wrote

Cries in millennial 😭 I saw Death Cab in 2007(?) at DAR Constitution Hall. I saw this popped up and my bones couldn’t react fast enough lol

VoodooGirl47 t1_j0zxwpd wrote

I'm assuming by another comment that this is about Death Cab For Cutie and not some other band. I saw DCFC a few times at 924 Gilman St in Berkeley when I worked there back in the late 90's. Good band but I never really got into their music personally.

hipoetry t1_j145ktc wrote

Your post alerted me to the Anthem shows and I was able to get tickets. Thanks for posting!

Chaiwok OP t1_j148o4l wrote

Haha, glad someone benefited from it!

milo2049 t1_j0vdowh wrote

UGH- I bought seats to Merriweather & would prefer not to trek that far! If I would have known

Animaled t1_j0vki0i wrote

Damn, they sold out the lawn at Merriweather? Does someone know the max amount of people that Merriweather holds? Edit: it's 18,000!

I got tickets for Merriweather and the first Anthem show. They're over a week apart so it might be fun to go to both or I can always sell my seated ticket for Merriweather later...

madmoneymcgee t1_j0vmegh wrote

Yeah, DCFC sold out their last show at the Anthem (back in September) I'm pretty sure so I thought it was pretty obvious they'd do a bigger venue if they could for this. I couldn't figure where exactly *inside dc* but once I heard it was Meriweather I thought it made sense.

​

But now they've done this and I wonder the same as you if I just go ahead and try for this and worry about Merriweather later.

Animaled t1_j0vnsby wrote

Postal Service are the bigger deal band here, I saw them do the 10th anniversary show at you guessed it, Merriweather 10 years ago. Though, I guess I have seen Death Cab there too but that was mostly so I could see Explosions in the Sky who were an interesting tour opener for them.

Anyway, I'm glad to see these two bands get over their differences and play together since it's widely known that their lead singers hate each other.

RVABleedsGreen t1_j1vhwys wrote

There are tickets available via re-sell for both MPP and The Anthem.

For those who have seen The Postal Service before, do you think one venue would be better than the other for this particular show?

JoeTheEliteOne t1_j0vhuf6 wrote

If I didn’t love Merriweather so much, I’d be more annoyed by this. Really wish they’d just let us know all the options at once. Also wish one was a weekend…