Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TripleJumpToTheMoon t1_iu2kr4s wrote

As a Canadian, it’s not about being better than the US (I mean that was never a challenge), but it’s about being honest!

Jk tho it’s really not about being better tbh I’m just glad they didn’t waste time arguing over this

shpydar OP t1_iu2ngxy wrote

>I’m just glad they didn’t waste time arguing over this

The TRC's 2015 final report citing Cultural genocide was originally rejected by the Canadian Government and it has taken us 7 years to finally acknowledge the residential school system was genocide.

I wished we hadn't wasted so much time arguing over this.

TripleJumpToTheMoon t1_iu2plm5 wrote

True, I was just considering this time in particular. Although it took so long, I’m glad they’re done arguing about it

Happy13178 t1_iu3o2fp wrote

It is about being better, just not in some weird competition. It's being better for ourselves because it's the right thing to do and helps us move forward collectively with a lesser burden of sins from the past.

SomeDrunkAssh0le t1_iu4glbh wrote

We're always telling ourselves that we're better than the americans.

TripleJumpToTheMoon t1_iu5w7yr wrote

At the same time, I know Americans who think Canada is better, Americans who think america is better, Canadians who think america is better, and then of course Canadians in majority think Canada is better.

Personally I would love to try living in the US for a year or so just to see how it’s different than Canada (other than the obvs like health care making you broke in US, too much religion in the US, different climates, etc.)

−1