Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

EvenHair4706 OP t1_iyb64st wrote

The British philosopher Bertrand Russell described him as “the hardest to understand of the great philosophers”.

PimentoCheesehead t1_iyba2bu wrote

I always kind of assumed he was indecipherable because his original writings were in German. Everything I’ve ever tried to read in translation from German has been incredibly dense and hard to follow.

Spoonfeedme t1_iybdnus wrote

A greater part of the problem is that much of Hegel's work is transcripts of lectures for people who also spoke the highly technical philosophical language he did. The lay audience was not the intended reader.

conspicuousperson t1_iybtkug wrote

Hegel assumes a high amount of knowledge of early 19th-century German philosophy, and many of his technical terms are untranslatable. He especially loved compound words.

EvenHair4706 OP t1_iybapmw wrote

Some translations of Nietzsche and Schopenhauer are quite good. They were better writers

guysguy t1_iybq8tf wrote

And Schopenhauer invented the word "hegelei" to basically describe incredibly smart sounding bullshit. The word was then used by Nietzsche and others to describe the same thing. Still in use today, though not as much anymore.

I can’t find an English article but here’s the German wiki for it. Maybe readable with a translator.

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hegelei

gazongagizmo t1_iyc12nj wrote

In North-West Germany "Hegel" has become a slang insult, used sarcastically and non-maliciously.

"Was für ein Hegel!" (or in dialect, "Watt'n Hegel!") is said about someone to call them a sort of buffoon. "What a Hegel you are."

Arrathir t1_iyb87lf wrote

David Hume could out-consume Wilhelm Freiderich Hegel

redmambo_no6 t1_iyba3to wrote

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine

Who was just as sloshed as Schlegel

I’m pretty sure there’s a version that replaces “Wilhelm Friedrich” with “Schopenhauer and”

tpchnmy t1_iybjljy wrote

I drink therefore I am...

Hargrave1991 t1_iybqxds wrote

I can only imagine how hard it is to translate; my 341 logic class is dense enough.