Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

funwithtentacles t1_ixzvmdd wrote

Oh boy, everybody is going to love this comment, but...

Seems a little one sided here...

Now, I'm not a Modi fan, but why exactly should India allow cheap US made crap to enter their country to directly compete with the cheap crap the can make themselves?

On the Telecom/Internet side, India hardly needs US monopolies to take over their own thriving IT ecosystems.

India does well in safeguarding their own economy here and slow the progress of mostly needless foreign imports at their own detriment.

United Fruit is neither a company nor a history to be emulated again in the 21st century.

fred1445 t1_iy1md3p wrote

thats why only gmo cotton is grown there i think they dont want monsanto and cargill to come in and take over all thier food crops like in most other countries that let them in!! as a farmer in the us i know this too well!

Anti-Podal t1_iy2prj9 wrote

Protectionism is not necessarily in the interests of Indian society, although it certainly benefits some. It protects and shields domestic monopolies who then have little incentive to innovate or moderate prices.

wired1984 t1_iy3o8pf wrote

Protectionism doesn’t speed economic progress, more the opposite. Nor are imports the bane you are making them out to be. The US has more imports than just about any country - still plenty of growth

Robw1970 t1_iy0i8ay wrote

Well basically because of a written agreement.

−14

funwithtentacles t1_iy0rz8v wrote

Elaborate? What written agreement on what? What trade deal? What anything?

Robw1970 t1_iy1sq8u wrote

The agreement is India Eye's Agreement. It's a left over agreement from the Trump administration, of whom Trump authored out the agreement almost instantly, through the extremely rare stable genius, "mental thought grant".

−4

sheeeeeez t1_iy17vib wrote

You're just advocating for protectionism.

−15

[deleted] t1_iy18nb1 wrote

[removed]

Anti-Podal t1_iy2qgii wrote

Yeah man you get it. Iranians would be perfectly content with their theocracy if it wasn't for the Cia and their mind control rays. And we would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids.

And sheesh he was talking about the concept of protectionism, the merits of which can be debated without reference to the US. You were just looking for an excuse to rant after ingesting internet rage fuel and third worldisms all day. Take a break.

−4

nad09 t1_iy33bxm wrote

He was talking about overthrowning Iranian democracy in 1950s. Read history to not make a fool of usrself.

Anti-Podal t1_iy6hpuw wrote

The coup of Mossadegh is the laziest talking point. If you think there is a straight line to 1979, or that Mossadegh's shaky government would have inevitably defused the problems that led to it, then it is you who haven't read history. Pretty sure you ingest it one 140 character tweet at a time.

stalinsilver t1_iy203r9 wrote

US has a huge trade deficit with India. It's only fair for US to ask for better deal or restrict trade from India

−16

funwithtentacles t1_iy2hlfx wrote

To whom?

SnooLentils4790 t1_iy2pe9k wrote

When people trade they want fair trade

−3

funwithtentacles t1_iy2ps8t wrote

Excuse me???!! When exactly has the US ever given a single flying fuck about being fair to any other nation, rather than just bullying them to get their way?!

SnooLentils4790 t1_iy2pzqt wrote

There are countless countries that receive free gifts from the United States. It is the single largest donating country in the history of the world. Countless charities uphold the poor throughout the world both private and public. India follows this path as well with its donations of food, but strictly for strategic purposes -- donating to countries local to India. Whereas the United States of America donates even to its enemies.

Indeed, the U.S. has even used its military to protect India's borders indirectly, and seeks to maintain peace worldwide as the active defensive force giving teeth to the U.N.

Continue your spite and anger. Your friends, other nationalist, bitter Indians, will surely approve.

−13

funwithtentacles t1_iy2sxyn wrote

Pure altruism I'm sure...

Did you know Germany is the second largest foreign aid provider in the world according to the OECD?

SnooLentils4790 t1_iy2u5hs wrote

Is this the part where I sarcastically accuse altruism in reply? Please guide me, guru.

−7

[deleted] t1_ixzz3l2 wrote

[deleted]

−17

funwithtentacles t1_iy021c0 wrote

Considering the US has been aggressively outsourcing their IT services to cheaper countries like India...

First of all US companies don't want to pay their workers a fair share, so would be reluctant to pull back, and second of all it would only help US workers in salary negotiations...

Now go start some unions.

beansirr t1_iy0i5yb wrote

“Thriving” because of USA. Without usa. It’s dead

−40

funwithtentacles t1_iy0kltx wrote

Again, if the US is no longer willing to pay the cheap rates for outsourcing their IT, it's only to the benefits to US workers actually being able to ask for better wages...

I'll happily wait for US companies actually wanting to go that route though...

funwithtentacles t1_iy0sgx0 wrote

When has the US ever improved the lives and economy of second world nations not bowing down to US economic interests?

I mean, the US just usually engages in overt/covert regime change is things don't go their way economically...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_involvement_in_regime_change

Sigmars_Toes t1_iy0zyme wrote

India is literally the leading nation the term "third world" was coined to describe. America bad all you like, but at least regurgitate with a bit of care

−22

funwithtentacles t1_iy10s8l wrote

The simple fact that you're still rating India as a third world country kinda says enough here...

choomba20 t1_iy2fh27 wrote

India is 3rd world. But not in the definition "Le Dumb Redditor" interprets as but rather in the true meaning of the term meaning unaligned to any power bloc that exists now or before.

−3