Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

snakesnake9 t1_iycahch wrote

Literally thought police ala 1984.

[deleted] t1_iycso0s wrote

[deleted]

−27

masterfCker t1_iycx90p wrote

Well, in Western countries, the protests were more about the vaccine which is a different subject than this.

The white, anti-vax protestors were called conspiracy theorists for a reason. As of course were any "coloured" anti-vax people called by the same name.

Representative_Pop_8 t1_iyczsmw wrote

they were called whatever, but the police didn't knock on their door, bor do they get punished by the government

neotheseventh t1_iycjhz5 wrote

Not that I support Chinese action, but this is not what "thought police" means. Here the user is taking an action by endorsing using "like", so it's action, not a thought.

−28

snakesnake9 t1_iycjvm4 wrote

I mean they're taking that liking action because they have a certain view/thought, and then getting in trouble for it. I think this is policing people's thinking.

Milith t1_iycp7iu wrote

If someone steals because they think stealing is ok we don't call it a thought crime. What's being punished here is open support for the protests.

−23

masterfCker t1_iycx09q wrote

And this punishing is put into action to affect the thoughts and opinions of the people, to make them not support the protests.

justtheprint t1_iyd5tpm wrote

huh maybe all non-negligent crimes should be considered thought crimes.

anyway, back to what you said; all punished thoughts have to be observed by some sort of expression. That expression could be setting a building on fire. That doesnt feel like a thought crime. But "liking a post" is the absolute minimal-additional-crime way of expressing an opinion that is punished later

so I side with, "yes it is thought policing"

JakeFromStateCS t1_iydwaal wrote

Ah, and thoughts are electro-chemical signals in the brain. So by even having the thought, they've taken an action in support of the protest which deserves punishment

/s

Tripanes t1_iyd7sin wrote

And your actions have consequences so it's perfectly fine to punish people for doing things like liking something that is bad

-reddit