Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

IrresistableCode t1_iuk9t2f wrote

Depends on the context of it and who I am with. I have called out sincerely misogynistic comments before even if it is with a person I like, but if it is clearly a joke then I ignore it.

[deleted] OP t1_iuk9xyw wrote

[deleted]

IrresistableCode t1_iuka5bn wrote

No you didn't. Hell, the top two comments there are basically the same as what I gave.

Why bold-face lie like that when I can go and easily disprove you?

Can-ta-loupe t1_iuk9vd0 wrote

Get violent immediately. I must protect the honor of m’lady.

[deleted] OP t1_iuk9z1m wrote

[deleted]

BakuTheMooneater t1_iukbjwb wrote

Speaking up to hate speech isn't about control or taking anyone's freedom of speech away. It's about calling it out because of the societal damage it causes. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from the consequences of what you said. Also, therapists don't work the way you are describing they do.

Perhaps you should take some 101 classes at your local community college so you can learn all of this information in an effective manner.

toby1jabroni t1_iukanw7 wrote

It will depend on context, like most things. There’s no one answer to this.

donnyganger t1_iuka19y wrote

Same thing I do when I hear them everyday, ignore them and laugh when they say it to the wrong person and it backfires.

Ares2889 t1_iuka4s2 wrote

Just stare at them

i_steal_napkins t1_iukauub wrote

Meh, nothing.

If it was my homeboy though? I’d sort it out with him, but any other guy? That’s his problem and if he’s doing that toward a woman? Well, that’s her problem.

I believe in her ability to handle the situation. I’ll only help a woman if a fella gets physical with her because it’s a clear mismatch. Outside of those specific parameters, that’s it.

DC_MEDO_still_lost t1_iukb7a4 wrote

I think the problem is that a lot of men either don't even hear it when it happens, or give the person the benefit of the doubt on intent.

Most of the guys I know would never believe they'd tolerate blatant misogyny. However, experience has shown me out on my own dealing with it, and struggling to convince them of what was going on.

Long-Arm-5201 t1_iukai0s wrote

BTW I asked the same question but with women and misandrist comments

Chocolatepersonname t1_iukb342 wrote

Nothing, Unless you know the context of the situation, MYOB.

crankenfranken t1_iukba7b wrote

I automatically assume the person who said it is a dick. Then I upbraid myself for misandry and assume they are an asshole instead.

EvenSpoonier t1_iukbcli wrote

That depends to a certain extent on the context, but I do generally try to at least cringe.

Tyrone90000 t1_iukbffq wrote

Probably nothing unless it was directed towards my wife or daughters.

Bekmetova t1_iukbqhf wrote

If it's a man that said the comment you should laugh too loud and awkwardly to get everyone's attention. Make eye contact with the commenter and hold it while you rip a mean fart. Now go back to what you were doing but every so often turn and waft butt air at them to keep them unsettled. This is a dominance game.

Now if it's a woman who made the comment you should do the exact same thing. You aren't sexist. You treat everyone equally.

007JustinSane t1_iukby0y wrote

Is it a funny comment? Probably laugh..if its funny

BakuTheMooneater t1_iukajrv wrote

It depends on the context. If I'm at some bar with a bunch of chodes, I won't say anything but I'd probably just leave since it would be "their turf" for people like that. If I'm ordering food somewhere or at a store I'd say something. But I'm also the type of person that speaks up when someone is being rude or raising their voice at service people.

undeadexile752 t1_iukaqev wrote

I would let it go because there is this thing called free speech and its better to not entertain foolish people. People must have lower I.Q's these days because its pretty apparent that any attention is still attention and thats what shitty people seek. Its been a staple in media that even bad publicity is still publicity. You tell someone something bad about another and often times they won't stray away but instead try to find out for themselves. Look at how much media attention Ozzy Osbourne got over the claims of him biting the head off a bat.

chasinbirdies t1_iukavyw wrote

Why would I care about someone else’s views. They can say whatever they like.

[deleted] OP t1_iuk9rja wrote

[deleted]

−1

[deleted] OP t1_iuk9tij wrote

[deleted]

−1

BakuTheMooneater t1_iukaaga wrote

The question was, what WOULD you do. Perhaps it's good you don't police speech since you seem to not understand it that well anyway.

−4

My_Balls_In_Your_Ass t1_iukak2k wrote

The answer is implied - nothing.

Why? Because I don't police speech.

Jesus Christ... People like you are so confident, yet so incredibly stupid.