Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

4__4-- t1_ir9rc7n wrote

What bushes? 👀

ghighi_ftw t1_ir9x95e wrote

I came for the "instruction unclear" comment but this will do.

deadflamingos t1_iraf8sp wrote

Instructions unclear, identify as girl now.

sixner t1_irakd8v wrote

You got the twig AND berries!? Oof, not sure that will grow back.

blacklassie t1_ir9r7as wrote

Felcos are great!

human_totem_pole t1_ir9t89d wrote

I got their sharpening tool too!

oeco123 t1_irbezhm wrote

Tell me more…

human_totem_pole t1_irbgfsx wrote

https://felco.com/en_us/products/accessories/felco-903. There are YouTube videos showing how to use it. Basically you hold the secateurs in the palm of your hand through the handles and rub the sharpening tool in circles on the bevelled part of the cutting blade. Turn them around then burr off the other side of the blade. Takes 5 minutes and returns the blade to factory sharp!

ShotzIrl t1_irbsfkj wrote

I just dismantle mine and use a sharpening stone. Works great.

DialsMavis t1_irbxiua wrote

You can hold them upside in kind of a western grip and use a regular folding diamond sharpener as well.

gosgood t1_ircl8f1 wrote

My F2s are vintage 1972 and used to cut dozens of branches daily. They have ever needed repair and never sharpened. They work as good as day 1. There is just a little grip wear at the tips of the rubber and a small chip on the blade. https://imgur.com/gallery/lTXaJEy

Bgxyz t1_irdbfv9 wrote

Is that a bean in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

FlipMick t1_ira0rnm wrote

Oh yeah some of the best around!! I love my Felco!

Caleo t1_ircfiv3 wrote

...but still know when you should go for the loppers.

Jd771 t1_irb53ko wrote

Sure, but what does this have to do with quality windows, siding, and doors.

the_last_gingernut t1_irdw9jz wrote

As someone who gardens for their living, I can’t fault them, have this same pair and with a weekly sharpen it’s lasted 3+ years now

jcbevns t1_ir9t9d6 wrote

Roll handle ones are even better for thicker cutting. No blisters either!

My dad has multiple pairs that we've used on the vineyard for pruning for the last 15-20 years.

Bighippie7408 t1_ira0gqs wrote

I love them and I know they’re durable but what is it that makes them so much more satisfying to use than other pruners?

jcbevns t1_irac6hc wrote

Felco or the Felco rollers specifically?

The Felco rollers have just such a nice feel, weight and ergonomics. The roller will open with your hand as you open the jaws of the secateurs, with the help of the spring there is minimal movement on your hands, leading to less blisters and strain for long working hours. The force is applied throughout your 4 finger length from tip to then toward your palm as you squeeze for better grip.

That plus nice new Swiss factory sharpened blades and you can go for hours. Although my old man now buys blades off ebay from Germany instead of the Swiss ones. Good steel from Germany.

And as this is bifl, you can get replacement parts when needed and they are very serviceable.

F-21 t1_irakulu wrote

They are precision made, they don't get wobbly, and you can get every replacement part from Felco.

Yeah other top end pruners aren't any worse (e.g. Löwe), Felco is maybe a bit more well known.

WelcomingRapier t1_ir9u906 wrote

Yep. I had to change my grip and muscle memory a bit to accommodate the rolling handle, but once I had that down, I was good. They are amazing.

AnthonyJackalTrades t1_ircv0dg wrote

Use both and I'm not as big of a fan of the rollers! I dislike the size difference and have also had the "rolling" grip bind in one (awkward) position.

brrrapper t1_ir9va8j wrote

Im a electrician and this is my most used tool. Great for cutting both bushes and metal :)

justwelditsureok t1_ira1scr wrote

That thing is going no where near my bush 🙅🏻

bmwnut t1_iralfvj wrote

These really are Buy it for Life, as you can replace all the parts on your Felco clippers:

https://felco.com/en_us/spareparts

I've had my set since 1995, my wife has had hers since probably 2000 or so. And I'm sure there are a ton of people that have had theirs for decades longer than I have.

ChunkyLaFunga t1_irbw3b9 wrote

Thanks, OP came dangerously close to providing any useful information whatsoever.

tunasamwidge t1_irdo10z wrote

Felcos are nice, I’ve recently switched over to ARS though.

elepuddnlily t1_ira1tic wrote

I actually am not happy with mine. After only doing a minimal amount of cutting the blades start to get sticky and don’t reopen. Not sure if I just have a faulty pair where the spring isn’t powerful enough to make them reopen but it’s a real pain in the butt.

Safe-Barnacle t1_ira4p18 wrote

If I'm using mine on anything sticky I keep a scotchbrite pad in my tool belt and give the blade a scrub here and there. Also, your blade adjustment might be set too tight or you might need to lubricate the blade. These are famously popular secateurs, you should be able to make them work for you with some tweaking.

jcbevns t1_iracq5g wrote

After using mine on the farm, if they gum up and not open, I just spit on the blade and rub it around, good to go again. Not amazing but works in a pinch when you're actually out working in the field, not just a hobby farm.

You want that nice close blade on jaw action, it's natural that they gum up with sap or dirt from the bark. If you really want, take out an oily rag and clean them when you need.

But it's not like something should just "work forever" without some care.

Halfbloodjap t1_irbi8t7 wrote

Hell it works on a hobby farm too, who wants to stop when you get into the rhythm of work?

BakedBeanFlicker t1_ira999w wrote

Have you been shown how to take them apart and clean/sharpen them properly? Take a look at some YouTube videos. To keep them in proper working order for years this is essential knowledge

AnthonyJackalTrades t1_ircvj35 wrote

They can gum up (I've trimmed rubber trees with them), but so can anything. Couple drops of oil so that it coats the blade and drips to the hinge, open and close it a couple times, good to go.

Regge991 t1_ircgn7b wrote

WD-40 works great too. I use it to clean milky sap off my Silky Zubat and Gomtaro

SOPalop t1_irbis3n wrote

I've found the newest Felco 2's stick more than the older ones even though they are exactly the same (tolerances maybe). I run them slightly looser and lube them more where the old ones can go without lube for years.

elepuddnlily t1_irbyh22 wrote

What do you use for lube?

SOPalop t1_irc9zcs wrote

If I take it apart, I use a general waterproof grease inside. If it's the new set, I just squirt a mineral oil in the gap and on the spring. Either liquid or a spray like INOX.

Someone suggested a motorbike chain lube for the spring to me as well.

user_none t1_irag0ct wrote

Clorox wipes clean off sap residue really well.

Arsnicthegreat t1_irdfqqq wrote

That's pretty much what you'll get with any pruner that has good blade alignment. If you're doing a lot of pruning, especially if you're pruning multiple individuals, cleaning and sterilization is a must.

anoldradical t1_irbzn8t wrote

Yeah I completely agree. All these suggestions about adjusting it and taking it apart- I just rather not have to do any of that. I'm back to using my kitchen shears with the little hook part of the blade.

−2

Safe-Barnacle t1_irc9knn wrote

Yeah, definitely don't listen to people who successfully use the most popular brand of secateurs worldwide, every day, as part of their career or livelihood. Give up and use your kitchen shears.

Thraggismydaddy t1_ira846g wrote

Instructions unclear, I have given myself a vasectomy instead.

foxtail10011 t1_ir9sz1a wrote

Only had to buy a new one after I misplaced the other! (Found it tho so now I have two)

twv6 t1_ir9yjbm wrote

I have the same ones. I use them for a job I got 14 years ago

acrolla11 t1_ir9qu6h wrote

Nice! I have these. They're great 👍

ReadAllowedAloud t1_ir9v83g wrote

I prefer the battery-powered hedge trimmers (Ego, etc.). These pruning shears work great for roses and other fussy stuff, but for trimming a row of yews or a bunch of suckers, you need something long and fast.

DrunkenMasterII t1_irc6s7m wrote

You’d have to be a maniac to use those to fully trim bushes. I mean unless it’s a passion project and you’re perfectionist and details oriented. This is more for precise work, things you can only do manually or like you said roses and stuff.

Regge991 t1_ircgvxc wrote

I had to trim bushes with these and a stringline at arborist school. Twas painful.

DrunkenMasterII t1_irci4dz wrote

Lol. This is absurd, like they’re great cutters if you have to prune a ton of trees/plants for grafting or selective branches cleaning and yeah sometimes it’s the right tool and you’ll have to use it a ton to the point it gets painful, it’s manual labour after all, but trimming bush with a stringline is just ridiculous. Hopefully the goal of the exercise was to teach you what was the desired most precise result so that you can pick up pace later and use an electric edge trimmer or something.

Regge991 t1_ircio85 wrote

It was the lecturer stressing the importance of cutting back to growth points, but it's the kind of thing where as soon as we leave the classroom it's back to swinging off a Stihl 2 stroke.

DrunkenMasterII t1_ircl3tq wrote

Oh well it does make sense. I mean I don’t know how are arborist classes, but I studied horticulture focused on food production and lots of the learning was about keeping plants healthy and productive and I’ve seen my fair share of right vs wrong way of trimming. I’ve seen so many botched jobs on hedges or bushes where people basically just kill branches by over cutting, so I understand the goal. Still could’ve given the same information without having you cut a shit ton of them.

Regge991 t1_irclapb wrote

I think it was the campus exploiting free student labor tbh. We spent 2 days doing every hedge in the school

F-21 t1_iralau8 wrote

> trimming a row of yews or a bunch of suckers

English is not my main language and I had to re-read it a couple times to realise yews aren't jews. :)))

Designer_Internal94 t1_ira2lfg wrote

I've had mine for 18 years, still going strong. Haven't had to change blades or anything.

Adventurous-Leg-4338 t1_ira57xq wrote

I have Toyama hand forged snips and pruners. Just a tiny step up from Felco on price but they cut like laser beams.

F-21 t1_iramk23 wrote

Those look fancy but IMO lack some refinement for professional work. Maybe meant for very specific things (e.g. bonsai)?

Most Felco shears are made so that you can replace the blade and the anvil. Sure you can resharpen the Toyama forged ones but a blade can for example also chip away... Having it replaceable is in my opinion a big deal. And other things like the easy to use latch on the Felco compared to the odd thing on the bottom of the Toyamas. Or the rubber damper when you close the Felco. Or the rubberised handles....

Safe-Barnacle t1_irc9w1o wrote

Same with Niwaki tools. They seem like they're very skillfully made and perform nicely but the first time I dropped my flower snips the tip of the blade broke off and there's no way to replace it.

F-21 t1_ird6yqw wrote

Ye, they have a large selection of them... But they even say so on the side - they are brittle and easy to chip, and you need to take care even with harder woods.

I get the appeal and they're heirloom quality for home use for sure. The Felcos pehaps have a more "industrial" look, but for certain they do their job just as well, and everything is replaceable and serviceable (on the most iconic Felco 2 model the anvil is riveted on - it's not something that would be replaced often... on the picture is the Felco 11 which are basically identical but the anvil is screwed on and easier to replace). Most people consider Felcos expensive but the Japanese pruners cost 3-4 times as much!

Andtuna t1_irab1vz wrote

Manscaped would like a word.

BroccoliBoyyo t1_irbnv6e wrote

I tried to use these but they pulled the hairs really bad and didn’t really cut cleanly.

kloudrunner t1_irc7m47 wrote

I ain't putting THAT near my BUSH.....

Error_B2 t1_ircanhd wrote

Instructions unclear, I'm no longer a man

ivebenthrew t1_ir9s3f9 wrote

One wrong step, it’s ‘trim it for life’.

konalight t1_ir9ycgf wrote

Made for professionals: super efficient with excellent results .

Baummer81 t1_ira1ou5 wrote

I love a nice trimmed bush.

CrankBot t1_irac5m9 wrote

I bought a pair of Okatsune pruners. They are very nice and definitely hold an edge as advertised. However the Okatsune have one caveat: Don't buy them if you are prone to abuse or be lazy with your tools.

If you (or your partner) are likely to leave tools out in the rain, they will rust! But you can clean them up with some elbow grease. Also I dropped them on my garage floor and the tip chipped.

I assume both of these incidents are due to the fact that Okatsune are quality high carbon steel vs cheaper stainless steel that you are likely to find on Fiskars and other common commercial brands.

F-21 t1_irand7z wrote

Imo big deal about Felco (and other top end European brands like Löwe) is that the blades are replaceable. Due to that the shears last forever even in professional use. Japanese design is more traditional but if you use them daily the blades definitely get dull eventually (or they could chip if abused). You can resharpen the Felcos, it's actually a lot easier since you could even remove the blades and simply mount them on a professional grinding machine, but I assume most people just swap the blades for a brand new set instead.

CrankBot t1_irb9j6i wrote

Agreed, the Okatsune should probably be treated like a chef knife and sharpened regularly. I have yet to sharpen mine though 😬

Halfbloodjap t1_irbihk0 wrote

We sharpen, don't even bother dismounting them. Couple passes with a stone every couple weeks keeps the blade from ever getting dull.

marko6688 t1_ird00lf wrote

Professional gardener here, this is the tool of choice. Tip, the blade can be easily replaced if chipped or damaged.

justAregulard00d t1_ira7jdx wrote

I have one, too! Can you tell me the best way to clean the blades?

BakedBeanFlicker t1_ira9vlv wrote

Dish soap and a scourer should do it for sticky residue. It’s also a good idea to disinfect between plants with isopropyl alcohol or metho. And a bit of lanolin after for lubrication

AnthonyJackalTrades t1_ircvwxh wrote

We disinfect with lighters. Doubt it harms whatever temper they have and they're easy to keep in your back pocket.

Dwashelle t1_ira9v0i wrote

They're the best. My mom has had one for probably over 20 years. She also has the leather Felco holster for it and it's still going strong after the same amount of time.

alexthecheese t1_irab79t wrote

I think we have one of those! Lived in the garden unknown (just moved house) for 6 months and a bit of oil fixed it right up!

nxcrosis t1_irabfde wrote

My mum had one of these! I think it was lost after a flood in our area years ago tho but she used it everyday for years before that.

SPACEMANSKRILLA t1_iraeprw wrote

Instructions unclear, accidentally reassigned my gender.

AppropriateStill2050 t1_iraew6g wrote

Also great for clipping the fingers off the neighbour who lets his dog shit in your yard.

user_none t1_irag5ee wrote

I'm personally a fan of ARS shears, but will say any high quality ones make trimming so much easier.

drive2fast t1_irajs3x wrote

Here’s the BIFL option for when you have bigger hedges.

https://youtu.be/4g8-E0pGex0

I can’t wait for the electric power head option. I am sick of listening to the gas engine.

pepper_kat t1_irame9w wrote

This post has inspired me to take better care of my shears!

Prodiuss t1_iranuwp wrote

Dude you saved my life. Manscaping is rough sometimes.

Ciza-161 t1_irao585 wrote

Are these not common I'm America? Here in the UK every house would have a pair of these for gardening.

Quail-a-lot t1_iraq0jx wrote

Most Americans have cheap Fiskars secateurs at best. Or else they have very boring yards of only grass and nothing else and when you look in the shed there is lawnmower and maybe a shovel and a rake. Both rusty.

The Felco are night and day better than the stuff you can buy at any of the large hardware chains, but if you never venture out of them you won't know they exist.

Softclosetoiletseat t1_iraoo6n wrote

For value they are the best, I go with niwakis for snipping perfection

OhJohnO t1_iraotod wrote

Instructions unclear. Am now circumcised.

KuroKen70 t1_irapayj wrote

My mom has one that from the stamp of manufacture was made in West Germany, not sure if it's a Felcos or a subsidiary/licensed version, but just think about how long it has been since there actually was a "West Germany".

It was getting a little long on the tooth so dad took it to his shop, lightly sandblasted it and I used my Dremel to polish the steel and touch up the edge, if it wasn't for the weathered rubber grips it'd look as if it was just bought new.

ddponti t1_iraphsj wrote

Instructions unclear; now missing half my labia

petal14 t1_iraq7im wrote

The best!!!! Though I have bought several for life…

botanicalbk t1_irarc6o wrote

They are worth every penny.

Horatius_Defectus t1_irarktd wrote

Felcos is great. Also has replacement parts. Niwaki is also great, japanese carbon steel secateurs. You have to care for them a bit more but they're really nice to cut with.

doggfaced t1_irasv55 wrote

Bought this for my dad as a Christmas gift years ago. He still marvels at how smooth they are!

Conflictioned t1_iraszqq wrote

I prefer a razor with a guard, but different strokes for different folks.

boulderdrop t1_iravknz wrote

I'm not a fan of the spring mechanism, as it rusts and makes for difficult usage.

halfaura t1_iraxhc7 wrote

Is that the fabled croissant leaf spring?

jojoga t1_irayv81 wrote

I'm using a razor, but to each their own

gt33m t1_irb0e9y wrote

+1 on these. After going through a couple el cheapos I ponied up to buy these. Love them. Worth the money.

toolsavvy t1_irb2i72 wrote

That's a hand pruner, not a trimmer. If I had to "trim" my 33 bushes with that, I'd be there all summer and possibly even into autumn.

Scarsviik t1_irb7h9i wrote

"Mom I accidentally cut my dick off."

I_Am_Kait t1_irb7ik4 wrote

Boy, I read this wrong.

alphabet_order_bot t1_irb7jnq wrote

Would you look at that, all of the words in your comment are in alphabetical order.

I have checked 1,085,342,923 comments, and only 213,752 of them were in alphabetical order.

memcwho t1_irb91a9 wrote

Instructions unclear, dick got caught in some secateurs

Waterfallsofpity t1_irba0q3 wrote

I like mine, but was disappointed by how short lived the vinyl handles lasted. Mine are all coming off/torn.

AdamIsAnAlias t1_irbailg wrote

Instructions unclear: chopped my shlong

jsingham t1_irbcp05 wrote

I keep my bush down to the roots. Those would be to scary to use down there…

wills612 t1_irbfj2j wrote

Harbor freight has a exact knock off for like 10 bucks. Even takes felco replacement parts

FatherJohnFahey t1_irbhhyv wrote

Best part of Felcos is that they sell replacement parts for everything! Truly a BIFL product for that reason alone.

zephyrus1985 t1_irbjvog wrote

Manscaped has good bush trimmers

dudedisguisedasadude t1_irbkbok wrote

Only had to buy another after the red plastidip stuff on the handle wore just about all the way off. They still work though just wanted a new pair for home due to how well they served me as a horticulturist. Also they bought us these at work so that is how I first discovered them. My first real professional tool was these Felco #2's.

blacklab t1_irbp2mo wrote

We have that exact pair, which we got for our wedding, which I believe is now well into old school cool territory

Wildbill2107 t1_irbs2ag wrote

I work in irrigation and use mine all day long for different task. Love these things

Pollymath t1_irbvm0q wrote

Unless you lose the spring.

Has anyone seen replacement springs available for various type of spring-open shears?

WiggleSparks t1_irbx00l wrote

Their wire cutters are awesome too.

Jisamaniac t1_irbx53a wrote

My mind went in a totally different direction.

[deleted] t1_irbxmyp wrote

I’m psyched! A decent pair of shears!!!

CaptainSharpe t1_irbyc8i wrote

Feel like this forum is mostly stuff you buy for life that any version of it will last for life.

Rather than examples of stuff where if you guy a cheaper version or the wrong version it’ll fall apart and you have to really look for one that is actually solid.

AnthonyJackalTrades t1_ircwitt wrote

This is a particularly good version of something that can last a long time, however. Having used multiple brands of pruner, this is my favourite because it has replaceable blades and other parts, it's comfortable, easy to maintain, durable (doesn't have plastic handles or cheap lock or something), etc.

anoldradical t1_irbzg2f wrote

Really? I kinda hate mine. It comes with a special wrench you need to keep track of, getting the tension right after disassembly is a pain, and they rust in like 5 hours and lose their edge. I'm back to using the good kitchen shears.

BigWetHole t1_irbzyfn wrote

Those look new af give it 3 years

RumManDan t1_irc0io2 wrote

Thanks for the recommendation but, I almost lopped my penis off... bush was too close to the tree gnomesayin'?

Redditsnaff t1_irc19sp wrote

I prefer an electric razor but hey you trim that bush get yo self an extra inch

squidduck t1_irc22qu wrote

I've got this same pair for work, BIFL for sure

Bascome t1_irc2esz wrote

I have one I lost in the yard for four years, found it two years ago and cleaned it with a hose. Works fine.

oregon444 t1_irc9oru wrote

Corona classics ftw

oldcreaker t1_irc9r0o wrote

Yes. Just be careful keeping skin away from the spring.

Trixieroo t1_irca55z wrote

They’re awesome!

shoulton t1_ircafkr wrote

bahco is better

manelpincel t1_ircbbhx wrote

My father uses those to cut suckling pig

Diotima245 t1_ircbcqa wrote

Look nice. I got a pair of Fiskars I use which are OK... I also have some electric pruners which have spoiled me. I was able to easily chop my Canna stalks to the ground this year with those.

Earguy t1_ircfvod wrote

OP you can't hide your Popeye forearms!

Hans_Jungle t1_ircgtv3 wrote

Great to see these make the cut

tonglongjeff t1_ircjhra wrote

We have a couple pairs of these. They are very good quality, but as with anything, you gotta look after your tools to get life out of them. My wife does all the gardening, leaves dirt and plant matter on the blades. Then I’m stuck taking them apart, cleaning and resharpening them. She’s learning though, I’m just very fastidious with my tools.

RoenTan t1_ircjvic wrote

I LOVE my felcos. Got one for Xmas last year and I’ve been using them on my new house and brushes non stop. Plus they sell singular replacement parts for every part of the clipper when you need to repair it. Really great and high quality

DSM-6 t1_ircllml wrote

I’ve got to be the super unlucky one. The pair I bought lasted a year. :(

Eagle722xcb t1_ircoh17 wrote

I actually found a pair in the road in front of my house. I feel sorry for the landscaper that lost them off their truck every time I use them.

icarusphoenixdragon t1_ircri16 wrote

Lol. Still have my felco that my boss at a high school landscaping job made us buy. Am now 41.

Writegrrl t1_ircvyjz wrote

I have two, the one shown and the ergonomic with rolling handle. Both pairs are over 36 years old.

Queenoftherodents t1_ird14zo wrote

I've been wanting to purchase these but hesitant because I have tiny hands (they just about fit children's gardening gloves). Secateurs are often uncomfortable for me because my hands need to stretch out so far to grip that I get very tired. Any thoughts?

Scolari t1_ird37rx wrote

My model 2’s are probably 30 years old, the coating on the handle is worn off in some places. The first 3 years of their life was spent in a nursery, cutting roots and pruning trees.

Cool_Entertainment80 t1_ird39lu wrote

How big of a bush we talking here? No way I'm squaring off the front hedge with a hand held.

dadajazz t1_ird3jsx wrote

Cut a triangle into my finger when I tried to close one handed. Next day did the same to my other hand. Such a clean cut, great quality.

Ziggysan t1_ird7cv1 wrote

Instructions unclear: have castrated myself.

4ng31xx t1_irda0bq wrote

that thing is NOT going near my bush 😳

el_heffe80 t1_irdanef wrote

Didn’t read instructions right, cut off my Johnson.

wilmal88 t1_irdcgfr wrote

I just have a hand held electric razor 🪒

cobigguy t1_irdmtnp wrote

My uncle is a tree farmer. He goes through a set of these every year or two.

smm97 t1_irds0k6 wrote

I thought clippers don't cut hair well.

BlueGoose28 t1_iregzyd wrote

A landscaping truck took a turn too fast in my neighborhood. I yelled "slow down" and they flipped me the bird. While taking the turn three different snippers like these fell off the truck. All the same make as this one, and one is this exact one. I picked them up and was on my way. They are amazing!!

zepha121 t1_irgejd3 wrote

Yes! Been in the industry for 7 years and have had mine for most of that time. Still in great condition. I worked with a fella who owned a pair of felcos for over 30 years and only changed the blade twice. Sharpen them often and clean them well!

teaquad t1_irh6o3e wrote

Gotta be careful down there with that thing

Jordykins850 t1_iriunfz wrote

I used to agree with OP.. but, while seemingly impractical, the battery powered ones are where it’s at 😩

Unlikely_Tomorrow_77 t1_isxp6wi wrote

I gave a pair of Felco 13s I picked up in the 90's. Great for a big hand and with the longer handle I've managed to cut well over an inch an a quarter. I bought five blades when I picked it up, and still have three of them. I just change them when they're dull and clean and sharpen when I get around to it!

SandhuG t1_ir9txlw wrote

"The best tool to trim your bushes" you say