Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

CartographerFew8764 t1_itxz5gq wrote

I have a pair that are about 4-5 years old now. Theyve done well but i wouldnt say bifl, Id give them another 2-3 years. This isnt eveyday use at either, every other weekend in fall and spring. Leather is the thinnest of all my other boots, sole is no good in slippery conditions.

3/5, good for the price, not bifl

JulianMarcello OP t1_itxzknu wrote

Have you had yours re-soled? If so, couldn’t you specify a more traction sole to your cobbler?

[deleted] t1_ityxr7s wrote

[deleted]

ComplimentsIdiots t1_itzavs1 wrote

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

I’ve resoled a couple pairs of Thursdays. Cost about $45, and cobbler mentioned they’ve started to see quite a few of them, and they’re easy to work on.

[deleted] t1_itzds31 wrote

[deleted]

CartographerFew8764 t1_itzuvhf wrote

Ive had my viberg work boots resoled at a local cobbler and it was 135$, and yes thay also did a terrible job. I ended up having to screw the soles back to the mid sole leather middle of my shift since they were falling off. Closest cobbler to me who comes with a good rep is now 7 hours away

[deleted] t1_iu0351l wrote

[deleted]

CartographerFew8764 t1_iu24sav wrote

Im up in Canada and have been told to go with DeVito's shoe repair from now on. If anyone has anyother reccomendations in BC that would be great

ComplimentsIdiots t1_itzzptg wrote

Nice try. Feet pics aren’t free.

In all seriousness though, it sounds like you might want to try shopping around. $150+ resole an inexpensive boot sounds a little nuts.

Quail-a-lot t1_iu04fl7 wrote

Depends where you live. I have gotten some pretty wildly varying quotes for resoles. And they don't always line up with quality of workmanship either! I usually know when I have found a good cobbler when they scold me every time I bring my shoes in xD

CartographerFew8764 t1_ity0qgx wrote

You definitely could have abetter sole put on, im afraid mine will split behind the toe box before they would even need to be re-soled. I take care of my boots, swap my laces to leather to try and slow eyelet wear, brush any bits off dirt off when i get home, oil or condition when needed. Its just the way it is it seems. So far theyre the longest lasting casual boots i own, Ive got a pair of Nick's on order though. Best of luck with yours, and take care of that foot crease. I hope they do better than my own.

nstarleather t1_itz23e6 wrote

That’s the consensus right “good for the price and more comfortable than other options from the start”…but not as durable as other brands: RW, Whites, Nicks etc.

[deleted] t1_itz4woq wrote

The soles are terrible on these boots. I have a pair and if I know it’s going to rain, I avoid wearing them

triumphantV t1_itz0twx wrote

You’ll love them. I’m a RedWing guy myself but can’t go wrong. Someone mentioned cedar shoe trees, def get them!

JulianMarcello OP t1_itzhkkb wrote

Yeah. I have a pair of Red Wings bookmarked in case I’m not satisfied with the quality of the Thursday’s

outlook-yahoo t1_iu217d2 wrote

You should check out Sierra for red wing seconds. I think they have some good deals right now for iron rangers which matches the look of the thursday boot and is just $30 more than the Thursday. But quality and longevity wise I think Red wing are a better investment. I got a red wing 8824 from sierra in 2021 and it’s excellent. Don’t know what made it seconds . Might also want to check grant stones final sale.They have some good boots. But be a bit careful with the sizing if going that way. Better to reach out to their support asking for help with sizing. Red wing and Grant stone are way better than Thursday and will probably last more than a couple of resoles.

HugeR00ster t1_itxyajt wrote

Get shoe trees and use them religiously. Should last you a long time.

JulianMarcello OP t1_itxz4k1 wrote

Oh? Can you tell me the benefits of them? I’m ignorant on the shoe trees

HugeR00ster t1_ity04vp wrote

Cedar shoe trees wick up the moisture that accumulates while you wear them. Keeps em dry and keeps the shape of the leather so you don't get a crazy amount of creasing.

Sadly I got lazy with my Thursdays as the sole started wearing out and didn't put them in every night. After a while I really saw the creasing get bad and the fit was never the same.

Get the kind with the split toe. They aren't normally more than $20-30 in my experience.

Enjoy your new boots though! You're gonna love them.

Muncie4 t1_itzw7h1 wrote

Moisture wicking is a lie. That was proven by a huge wood dork in a discussion with the CEO of Allen Edmonds years ago in malefashionadvice. The spreading action during the drying process naturally is the key as it keeps the shoe in shape. Cedar shoe trees are great, I'm not hatin', but they have no advantage vs. say a similarly shaped/function plastic version.

JulianMarcello OP t1_ity0g6k wrote

Good to know. Never thought about this being a problem. The only other shoes I have that are Goodyear Welted are Cowboy Boots and they seem fine without trees.

MalagrugrousPatroon t1_iu1bswt wrote

A pair of Thursday Boots were one of the few which fit me comfortably, I tried it at their store when they briefly had one. The only reason I didn't get them was I didn't want boots at the time.

Everything I've read or watched says they're decent boots with good value for the money. If you're curious, here's the Captain cut in half.

HugeR00ster t1_ity0k59 wrote

One last thing. If you're looking for a great product to clean and moisturize your boots, try Saphir Renovateur.

A little pricy but it works fantastic.

JulianMarcello OP t1_ity0utg wrote

I have a lifetime supply of a good leather conditioner and cleaner. Long story, but I had a care agreement with a leather dealer where I got plenty of leather care products… more than I know what to do with.

Whole_Cress8437 t1_ityejlq wrote

Why not Blundstones? Not being cheeky, legitimately curious as I have always been skeptical of this company solely based on the fact they showed up in my Facebook feed around the same time a bunch of crappy boot ads did

JulianMarcello OP t1_ityf2fi wrote

Looked at the Blundstone site and didn’t care for the style I found. If I am not impressed by these, I’m thinking about paying an extra $100 for shoes I found from Portland Leather or Red Wing. Red Wings just didn’t look as comfortable, but I 100% know quality is there.

Agile-Reception t1_iu0qslk wrote

I had to replace the laces on my Captains because they were too slippery out of the box and kept coming untied. The soles have terrible traction on wet surfaces.

But, they still look great after three years. I only wear them seasonally, October - March.

Successful-Ad-4263 t1_iu2h2hk wrote

I don’t consider any shoe a BIFL. Shoes bear a heavy work load and wear out over time. I do love my Thursday duchess boots a lot though. On my 3rd year and they are still going strong 💪

JulianMarcello OP t1_iu2jjmu wrote

I’ve got 2 pairs of cowboy boots that I have had resoled several times and owned over 25 years. There’s zero reasons why they won’t outlive me. I consider them BIFL because I will die before the shoes will. I’m just looking for something more modern than a cowboy boot.

edcculus t1_itxxt4w wrote

I see their ads a lot. Should be a good boot. They are Blake Stitched, which is fine, but may necessitate shopping around when they need to be resoled. Goodyear Welt tends to be an easier resole process. Blake stitch does have a sleeker profile.

JulianMarcello OP t1_itxy39w wrote

Says Goodyear Stitched — what is telling you Blake? I specifically shopped Goodyear shoes only.

edcculus t1_itxz10w wrote

Oh you’re right. I just remembered that their offerings a few years ago when I was looking at them were mostly Blake stitched.

JulianMarcello OP t1_itxzau6 wrote

Ok. Cool. Had me worried. I was really wanting the Goodyear Welt with a cork midsole

complexvintages t1_itxxf4p wrote

Why not get Solovair?

−4

JulianMarcello OP t1_itxy8mb wrote

Why not one of 1000 other brands? I liked the style of these and hope quality and service matches their advertised hype

mad_dog_94 t1_itxyb9p wrote

These can be resoled a lot easier than solovair boots can. Both are viable options though tbh

Muncie4 t1_itzwd4g wrote

Most Solovairs are goodyear welted so they are just as easy to do as Thursdays. Dr. Martens are goodyear welted-ish and have more resole drama.

mad_dog_94 t1_itzx4rd wrote

They are welted, but they use heat to attach the sole to the welt and not glue and thread like most other brands. That's the issue. It's doable but you need to basically remove the existing welt and replace it along with the new sole