Submitted by rtwyyn t3_yfxec0 in BuyItForLife

Hello everyone!

When it's getting cold and heat radiators are on my (small) apt getting too dry and as result i have troubles sleeping. I tried all frugal tips (spray water, plants, let wet clothes dry, etc) - they don't help much ... Could someone recommend humidifer?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Livesies t1_iu5tdg8 wrote

I don't have a specific brand, instead I recommend a type: evaporative humidifiers.

tldr: cheap and easy to run with minimal maintenance

I've been through multiple ultrasonic humidifiers that work fine but maintenance is a nightmare. Even with distilled water it turns into a petri dish within a week for me. I ended up using bleach to clean it and it would usually last two weeks. It was disgusting. Everything that is in the water gets atomized and sent into the air.

The evaporative unit I got last winter didn't require any cleaning all winter long. I used the recommended anti-microbial with each tank of water refill and never had an issue. I used two wicks throughout the winter but it was unnecessary to seal when I did.

Any humidifier with a tank is going to require refilling as needed. The convenience of tap water + anti-microbial easily beats buying or making distilled water in both effort and cost.

The ultrasonic humidifiers need a fair amount of power to run non-stop. Evaporative humidifiers just run a fan and maybe a humidity meter, making them cheaper.

I recommend an evaporative unit that's designed for the size of your home/apartment (rate of water evaporation) and meets your refilling schedule (water tank size). Beyond that there is no extra technology that goes into them, get one that looks nice or can fit somewhere out of the way.

MinkDynasty t1_iu9q1qi wrote

Ultrasonic / Cold-mist can also cause cancer if you aren't using distilled water in them. They will aerosolize minerals and other stuff in the tap water, and you will breathe all those teeny particles of iron, lead (hello Flint, MI), etc., right into your lungs. There is actual peer-reviewed research on it, but it's a high pain day for me so I'll let you guys find it.

Easy_Stick3766 t1_iu5yr7l wrote

top fill is the way to go, regardless of brand. I won't even look at a humidifier that requires me to remove the tank and flip it over to fill. All 5 currently in use in our house (also have radiators) are top fill, so just fill up a pitcher and pour in as needed. Clean once a week with white vinegar and good to go.

MycelialNetworking t1_iu5tp7e wrote

A small aquarium with a few air stones and the top open will work better than almost anything

ljubaay t1_iu5y2h3 wrote

Sorry, I dont have a concrete recommendation. However, I do have a very educational video about different types of humidifiers. It might help you narrow down what you’re looking for.

casey_ap t1_iu5rluo wrote

I don't have a humidifier I would recommend. What I will say is for the best results, only use distilled water.

Xyspade t1_iu65fcm wrote

That becomes pretty impractical and expensive though when you need a gallon every two days or more.

jstwnnaupvte t1_iu6m4bw wrote

I bought a cheap home distiller a few years ago & it paid for itself in weeks (I have three humidifiers so I was running 2 gallons a day.)
If you’re not using distilled water, you’re going to spend more buying new humidifiers more often in the long run.

Xyspade t1_iu6mzsd wrote

I didn't even know distillers are a thing! But wouldn't you have to clean those out too? lol

jstwnnaupvte t1_iu6ne5z wrote

Unfortunately, yes. Our area has especially hard water, so it’s kind of a pain in the ass, but it’s worth it not to waste so many plastic jugs / keep my houseplants (& sinuses) happy all winter.
ETA: this one is the one I have they have nicer ones, but this little one has served me for three years now.

ZombieManilow t1_iu6ej0r wrote

Ultrasonic humidifiers are filthy and eventually crap our. I average 3-4 years out of them. Best to buy one that integrates with your furnace and I would not recommend the evaporative ones that blow air against a water panel (most Honeywell are like this.) I’m talking about one with a small boiler than injects steam into the ducts when the furnace is running. The one I have is Aprilaire brand in the US.

offramppinup t1_iu7d2k4 wrote

I have used a few and really like the Honeywell Cool Moisture one. It's big, but it's easy to keep clean and all humidifiers get gross, so easy clean is essential. I've had mine in my room for 5 years and it really helps with my sinuses. I keep my bedroom (12 by 14) door open, otherwise it is too much for the space and condenses on the windows, so I would keep that in mind.

RJK1988 t1_iu8ld01 wrote

I agree with Honeywell. I've had two other more expensive ones but can never find filter replacements for them because the company disappears. The Honeywell is filter-less so you need to clean it with vinegar once in a while. You also know that Honeywell will remain in business.

rr777 t1_iufctm6 wrote

Honeywell will let anyone borrow the name for a buck.

Alabatman t1_iue766r wrote

This. I have 2 of these, one for 10 years, one for 5. They both still work well and the parts are dishwasher safe.

Dawndelion_ t1_iu7w3q7 wrote

Check out Venta. They are German made and pricey, but all parts are replaceable so it should last way longer than most. We have the comfort plus 45 and it can maintain our 2200 sqft house.

Julysky19 t1_iu9kf98 wrote

I like my simple Vicks warm air humidifier the best (with only a off/on switch and low/high setting) bought at the local target/Walmart. Mine is running on 5+ years. I’ve bought fancier machines (ultrasonic, automatic shutoff at set humidity levels)but I don’t feel symptoms wise better in the morning. I like the warm air over cold air or ultrasonic personally in terms of how it helps my sinusitis.

Vicks Warm Moisture Humidifier, V750 https://www.walmart.com/ip/29765912

I have chronic sinusitis so I run a humidifier 4-6 months a year.

MinkDynasty t1_iu9qna3 wrote

Friendly reminder that ALL Cold-mist/Ultrasonic MUST use distilled water.

They can turn tap water particles (minerals, metals, pollutants) into tiny potential carcinogens if you're inhaling them on a daily/nightly basis.

mt379 t1_iud1usr wrote

I'd go with Aircare or Venta. Looking to buy one soon myself.

stan__dupp t1_iu6861n wrote

Pot of water large as you can helps , especially ifin you have steam radiators

browntoe98 t1_iu6ncwl wrote

I’ve had a couple of Holmes, model HM 1865. Uses filter HWF65. We run ours 24/7/365. Clean it once every month or so. I order the knock-off filter from Filters.com by the case and just change out the filter with the cleaning. I would absolutely recommend.

unknprsn t1_iu6noxo wrote

If you can swing it get a whole home humidifier. Game changer and only requires one filter a year with basically zero maintenance.

Otherwise get something evaporative and that is rated for more than the space you need. Otherwise it will run at max speed and is usually nosier, requires more fills, and you will likely use a lot more power too.

Also, clean the filer every week or two, wash the bottom out, and flip the filter over. It will significantly increase the lifespan.

FWIW I’ve needed a humidifier for over 30 years and can think at least 8 different ones I’ve owned. Finally bought a house and it already had the whole home one installed. So much nicer.

bagou01 t1_iu6ppgy wrote

I was gonna recommend letting well towels dry but I see you tried clothes already. However I do the wet towels thing in my kids bedroom when they cough and it really does with I can even feel their bed sheets a bit damp so I don't imagine how it could get any humider

Muncie4 t1_iu6wwyw wrote

No one can. You buy them based on square footage used and we have no idea of the size of your room. And if/when you do post it...post it right. If you close the door of your 300 sq ft bedroom you need one rated for that. If you leave the door open and you have a 1500 sq ft house, they you need one rated for that.

trashcanman99 t1_iu71m5u wrote

I have a hot bath every other night and leave The water in the tub over night with the door open. Keeps the house at about 60-65% humidity all winter when it’s super cold and dry here.

Fiendishfrenzy t1_iu81up6 wrote

Couple questions, are they baseboard radiators or cast iron? There's things you can place on cast iron ones that hold water and evaporate as needed.

I use these natural stone (terra cotta?) Ones that absorb the water then evaporate as needed. They come in a pack of 2 on amazon- bluestone I believe is the brand. We got a few and have the larger one in the dryer rooms and the smaller ones in the rooms that need less help. Have to maybe fill the bowl once a week or so during the winter.

hmio213 t1_iu8jc5e wrote

I’ve always found Vornado to be the best, prob a little louder but it is one of the few I’ve seen (limited research) that truly moves some air

satanorsatin t1_iu5s26x wrote

I really like my Carepod humidifier. I’ve only had it a year, but with a metal bowl and no filters to buy all the time it seems like it will really last.

Currently I have the Carepod One in my bedroom and I have the Carepod Cube on order for the first floor of my house.

Faeglantina t1_iu5zui1 wrote

I’ve seen people recommend rowenta for irons, and it seems like they make humidifiers too. Does anybody know about the reputation of their other appliances?

gamesbrainiac t1_iu6gm81 wrote

I can’t strongly recommend the Xiaomi Evaporative humidifier.

delicioustreeblood t1_iu67nw8 wrote

Honestly, a wet towel hung up in the room will help a lot. Put a drip pan underneath if that helps.

−2