Submitted by frannybones t3_zw6coh in BuyItForLife

Boyfriend and I are trying to upgrade our kitchen to invest in quality that we’ll have forever while keeping things down to the essentials because the kitchen is small. We already have a Le Creuset pot, a good set of knives, and a non-slip butcher block. Anything else you recommend?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mildOrWILD65 t1_j1t3k68 wrote

Most kitchen accessories by OXO are very good quality.

Heavier stainless steel pots and pans are excellent choices, literally compare them by hand. Look for solid rivets at the handles, too.

A small cast iron and medium cast iron skillet are essential

A decent, steel wok, flat bottomed, is a good buy. Flat because US/UK/EU stove tops/hobs.

jklee_78 t1_j1wjizo wrote

One Oxo thing I haven't been a fan of is the Oxo peeler. Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of them and find others are much sharper. Would recommend a serrated peeler.

Junior_B t1_j1t3mf0 wrote

Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Iron skillet (I have a Lodge). Oxo mini beaker measuring set. Measuring spoons with etched marking so they don’t rub off.

bohuslan_ t1_j1tyqyh wrote

How good is the kitchen aid quality these days? When i did i course in machine elements during my engineering studies my professor said that his kitchen aid had broken down after a few years. When he opened up the machine he said that many parts were underdimensioned in witholding forces.

DaftCaterpillar t1_j1vwvj2 wrote

I got their measuring spoons and I freaking love them. The measurements are molded indents and they're light enough plastic that I'm not worried about being a little rough with them

ThunderSnow- t1_j1xonvl wrote

I heard recently that if you buy Kitchen Aid, buy it directly from them off their website. That in order for them to make a profit on items sold through retailers, the quality for those batches had to be lowered, but the quality of the items through their site was much higher. I cannot say if that is true or not. But I bought a Kitchen Aid directly from them almost 11 years ago and use it multiple times per week. Have barely done any maintenance on it aside from occasional deep cleaning. Still works and looks just like new.

jklee_78 t1_j1wj2ix wrote

KA stand mixer with the bowl lift is great - Costco sells it for a decent price. Most importantly though, unless someone is a regular baker, a stand mixer isn't worthwhile and becomes an expensive BIFL decoration that takes up a lot of space.

theveganauditor t1_j1uqfkh wrote

I love my Fiestaware dishes. They’ve even survived my dogs throwing them off a concrete stoop.

Faeglantina t1_j1y99bn wrote

I don’t know what to do with that mental image.

dianaprince76 t1_j1t4byd wrote

Metal measuring spoons and cups. All clad makes nice ones. Debuyer carbon steel frying pan. Duralex glasses.

ol-gormsby t1_j1t6io5 wrote

Avoid any plastic utensil where there's a metal equivalent. Metal might cost more, but you'll buy it/them once. Plastic will fail and need replacement, more than once.

There are some exceptions, like bowl scrapers, where you need the flexibility, and utensils for use on non-stick pans.

Srs_Bizz t1_j1uhtdc wrote

We avoid all plastic by using silicone and wooden tools. There is rarely a need for plastic to be in touch with food.

Our household's coffee grinder and blender are exceptions, but we haven't gotten around to upgrading those yet...

hesh582 t1_j1t7qsx wrote

Note that metal means "solid decent quality stainless steel" or something, not "any metal tool".

Even nylon spatulas will outlast cheap chinese plated pot metal spatulas. Even some relatively "mid-high end" brands sometimes use worthless metal, and generic "metal" is not necessarily better than plastic.

Witty_Storm2169 t1_j1x72mn wrote

Earlywood has some really nice stuff. They are out of Red Lodge MT. There scrapers and the flat sauté are great. I bought a spreader too. Love it. One swipe in the peanut butter is nice with a bunch of kids. I can’t stand metal for most things when cooking. I do not recommend the tongs though. Not long enough. They might be good for serving but I like to put my stuff through the gauntlet… they did not hold up. But to be fair they were wooden tongs. Cool thought but not so cool in practice.

Quail-a-lot t1_j1t79sg wrote

We were just talking about this in another thread: The French Peasant Chef knife from Lee Valley. We love ours so much we had to buy a second one because we were always stealing it from one another. Pretty much anything from them is a good bet. We also use the Vintage-style spatula every day. The lifetime Measuring cups and spoons are also super worthwhile. You pretty much can't go wrong there.

Most everything we don't have from Lee Valley is from OXO.

Don't get a big knife set right away. Or at all really! We don't even have a paring knife since we never used it. I prefer using a y-peeler or a potato peeler. If you like making bread or buying it unsliced a bread knife is also good idea.

If you don't have much space - a silicone collapsible colander is so much easier to store.

stdio-lib t1_j1tp5f6 wrote

A pressure cooker. Not only is it faster, it's easier. Just beep boop a few buttons and your food will be ready for you when the timer goes off (or when it gets to your nose -- it's only smellz).

ConBroMitch t1_j1xw1jd wrote

Agreed, but This is r/buyitforlife. We don’t do “beep boops”. Analog pressure cookers FTW.

stdio-lib t1_j1zy3nx wrote

Real men only use Afghan pressure cookers on a campfire. :D

Faeglantina t1_j1tz6kk wrote

EZ-Duz-It can opener has a lifetime guarantee when you buy from sierra trading company. You can also buy repair kits for them. I found out about them just this Christmas, so I can’t speak to how long they’ll last. My brother was very excited to tell me that it was the best can opener he’d ever used though. It feels solid. I have high hopes.

Itchy_Travel_775 t1_j1up4ss wrote

I have had one for several years. It’s the easiest, smoothest can opening experience. I never thought it mattered until I got the ez-duz it. It makes a huge difference!

hessmo t1_j1uhf2r wrote

Liberty tabletop flatware was a recent upgrade for us that’s definitely bifl. Cast iron similarly so, I’ve been very happy with our smithey.

Arcade80sbillsfan t1_j1xyyva wrote

What's nice is even their "cheaper".sets are quality.

We use the Celtic ones as every day drivers and recently bought the holiday ones for the holiday season.

random1888wagred t1_j1vgkfw wrote

Vitamix blender; Magimix food processor, All Clad pans, Victorinox knives for basics, then one high quality Japanese chef's knife; Ez-Duz-It can opener: Dualit classic toaster; Thermopen instant thermometer; William Whiteley kitchen scissors; OXO and Joseph Joseph do lots of good bits and bobs, but they aren't universally perfect; Pyrex glassware; Le Cruset Dutch oven.

Don't overspend on non-stick, none of them last more than a handful of years. Get a medium quality one and account for having to periodically replace it.

I currently cannot find a good quality long lasting non gimmicky kettle. If anyone has any tips!

General_Amoeba t1_j1vtgir wrote

Buy etched metal measuring cups/measuring spoons! Printed measurements will wear off and you’ll end up trying to guess measurements and ruining a batch of cookies!

Cast iron will last forever, but enameled cast iron is less of a headache with a lot of the same durability.

Don’t bother with plastic Tupperware, just get glass. My plastic stuff got stained and/or broke in under a year.

Get wooden or metal cooking utensils if you can - plastic utensils can melt or start shedding bits of plastic into your food.

Get those huge glass jars with the metal latch that seals them, and use those for storing flour and sugar. If you freeze your flour and then transfer it into a sealed container, you don’t have to worry about bugs ruining a whole bag of flour. These types of jars are commonly at thrift stores.

I’ve given up on automatic coffee makers. Just get a kettle and a glass pour-over coffee maker and you’re good to go.

shannon_g t1_j1w9zht wrote

Vollrath one piece stainless tongs (and other super durable stuff from a kitchen supply store) Nordicware cookie sheets

frannybones OP t1_j1x28yj wrote

We love our Nordicware baking sheets!

shannon_g t1_j1ytcz2 wrote

Also wanted to add a Zeroll ice cream scoop, they are used by all of the ice cream shops in the area and ours is in great shape after 5 years. Easily available at restaurant supply stores

penlowe t1_j1z2c05 wrote

Corningware baking dishes. Vintage or new, doesn't matter. Got this as a wedding gift, still going strong 24 years (and the marriage too) https://www.corningware.com/product/french-white-18-piece-round-oval-set

Mom has these, also a wedding gift, never broken one in 54 years, use them multiple times a week. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1260962956/corning-ware-cornflower-vintage?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_e-home_and_living-kitchen_and_dining-cookware-casserole_dishes&utm_custom1=k_CjwKCAiAzKqdBhAnEiwAePEjkoUQrZ5sU_ZOUCgS2nk6G7HB24cAGLXk1ycImttCoRtFKeQ0nSEvwxoC2rAQAvD_BwE_k&utm_content=go_1844702805_70809537318_346429646849_aud-1184785539738:pla-305374519816_c__1260962956_129054899&utm_custom2=1844702805&gclid=CjwKCAiAzKqdBhAnEiwAePEjkoUQrZ5sU_ZOUCgS2nk6G7HB24cAGLXk1ycImttCoRtFKeQ0nSEvwxoC2rAQAvD_BwE I do see these second hand quite often

A good, clear glass2 cup liquid measuring cup. Clear glass, not plastic, not opaque.

A good double wall cookie sheet: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nordic-Ware-Aluminum-Insulated-Baking-Sheet-16-x-14/396693702?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=4102&adid=22222222277396693702_117755028669_12420145346&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=aud-1651068664746:pla-294505072980&wl5=9027985&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=396693702&wl13=4102&veh=sem_LIA&gclid=CjwKCAiAzKqdBhAnEiwAePEjknWGytblkdcxC8ezXX3Rm7fbnJvfaga-a1b3HaEWrGoHU-TJtfRy6hoCMv0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

a good double wall jelly roll pan: (because there's a difference, and both are useful for more than their namesake) https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nordic-Ware-Natural-Aluminum-Half-Sheet-Cookie-Pan-18-x-13/715076865?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=4102&adid=22222222277715076865_117755028669_12420145346&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=aud-1651068664746:pla-294505072980&wl5=9027985&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=715076865&wl13=4102&veh=sem_LIA&gclid=CjwKCAiAzKqdBhAnEiwAePEjklj1x153-ZFdaMzgEoATK2RW5naBO9bAi5icD8D8xAuYCjMPWb_yVBoC4Z0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

SPLURGES:

Odd Measures I adore mine and use them all. the. time. Instead of the normal 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup 1 cup, the set is 2/3 cup, 3/4 cup, 1 1/2 cup, and 2 cups.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/williams-sonoma-round-measuring-ultimate-set-of-14/?pkey=s~odd%20size%20measuring%20cups~2&sbkey=default

A push-up measure great for butter, peanut butter, honey, vegetable paste and anything thick that's really hard to get out of a spoon. cleans up easily too. In searching I discovered there a big 2 cup versions as well! I love my little teaspoon/ tablespoon size.

Had to edit, forgot the am azon rule

hellogh35 t1_j1th290 wrote

I'm not really sure how long they last, but if you have a small kitchen, a pressure cooker like Instant Pot can combine a lot of functionality into one device. I use mine all the time for cooking rice, making soup, and braising meats, all in less time than it would take on the stovetop.

ultimatemomfriend t1_j1trwli wrote

I really like my Judge saucepans, I've had a set of 3 for 7 years and, when I take the time to deep clean them properly, they look as good as new

ZimofZord t1_j1ugc3q wrote

For me I stick to no plastics and no aluminum . I really try to but only stainless steel and cast iron . I’ve had no issues

LanfearSedai t1_j1ujmio wrote

My wife loves our Vitamix. Had one issue with the motor a few months after the 7 year warranty expired — called them and they had us send it in. They repaired it / replaced the motor for free despite the warranty date. Not a single issue since then. Customer for life now.

-Chris-V- t1_j1uou92 wrote

I really like my Vitamix. Instant read probe thermometer, cast iron cookware, wustoff knives. I don't love our instant pot.

-Chris-V- t1_j1up6kf wrote

Also, buy everything you can from Costco They will actually honor the manufacturer warranty, even when the manufacturer tries to snake their way out of replacing your item.

Turbulent-Flamingo84 t1_j1xl9rp wrote

I’m so thankful for Costco because I’ve picked up lots of quality items over time on sale or clearance that would be WAY so much money if I bought them new now.

morebutterboy t1_j1v9dr8 wrote

Enameled Dutch oven, I just have a cheap one from Target.

Deep fry, boil noodles, make soup, sear meat and (my favorite) baking bread all in 1 pot.

Howard_CS t1_j1w8ys7 wrote

Get some nice tongs, I like the zwilling silicone coated ones, oxo had a decent one.

mildOrWILD65 t1_j1wm05e wrote

I'd agree with that. For my money, the best peeler is a simple, SS bale-type.

Faeglantina t1_j1y9h1w wrote

Do you mean blade? I googled ss bale and got a bunch of farm equipment

Turbulent-Flamingo84 t1_j1xlnet wrote

I use my stainless steel julienne peeler often for salads and such, a good quality citrus squeezer, and a good stainless zester for everything from garlic to parm cheese. Small items that do big jobs.

ConBroMitch t1_j1xwjvl wrote

How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go? In no particular order, I’m on mobile so formatting sucks.

1. Fissler analog pressure cooker
  2. Edlund tongs
  3. P51 can opener (or Gangy)
  4. Lodge carbon steel and cast iron
  5. Thermoworks Thermapen
  6. Escali scale and candy thermometer
  7. Epicurean utensils (and Dexter)
  8. Demeyere 3-ply pots and pans
  9. Vitamix
  10. Vollrath mixing bowls (or tongs)
  11. Moccamaster coffee maker
  12. Baratza coffee grinder
  13. Magimix food processor
  14. Corelle tableware

Junior_Ad2955 t1_j1t4qdd wrote

Liberty Tabletop flatware. Also don’t be fooled by OXO

_Mechaloth_ t1_j1u60ud wrote

What’s wrong with OXO?

CookBaconNow t1_j1ua3me wrote

Oxo makes great utensils. Highly rated on America’s Test Kitchen on PBS.

The mandolin slicer is great and sturdy.

_Mechaloth_ t1_j1uabf6 wrote

Oh, I love OXO. Got a lot of their stuff in my kitchen. Maybe misunderstood OP’s “don’t be fooled by OXO.”

CookBaconNow t1_j1u9x5e wrote

Less is more for sure! I would suggest to only buy utensils that perform multiple tasks.

All good tips above! I would suggest Tfal for non stick. Replace yearly at first sign of wear.

sunsoutbunzout t1_j1v1ihr wrote

Pampered Chef apple slicer and ice cream scoop. I know it’s a MLM, but these two will last forever.