Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Radagon_Gold t1_izn5jyc wrote

It's a lovely gift but just out of concern for the "for life" aspect: when you say you "get them sharpened", are you taking care that it's by hand using whetstones? Because most sharpening services will use an electric sharpener, and even the best electric sharpeners strip so much material from a knife that it starts affecting the balance very quickly. Plus, even once a year for half a lifetime will leave it a noticeably smaller knife than it started as.

I almost made this error myself, with a beautiful classic Wuesthof, which is why I thought to warn you. Please take no offence if it hasn't been necessary. Have a lovely anniversary.

DrWindupBird OP t1_iznx35d wrote

For sure. Since these are sharpened 70/30, I send them away to Korin, where I bought them. They have someone there whose only job is to sharpen the knives. They turn it into a kind of performance. It’s neat! I don’t really trust folks around where I live now.

satansbuttplug t1_izquawl wrote

I bought my knives in person at Korin. I can attest that their resident knife master puts a 70/30 edge by hand on each knife as part of the purchase. He did it in front of me using Japanese water stones.

Fantastic-Alps4335 t1_iznwxfv wrote

“Even the best electric sharpeners strip so much metal that the knifes balance is affected”. I disagree.

As with any sharpening method stop sharpening as soon as it’s sharp. That can be as little as 5 seconds with an electric.

There are plenty of bad electric sharpeners that won’t get consistent results. 4 years with a Chefs Choice and my vg10 knives still look new. Can shave arm hair and pass the printer paper test.

KevinCarbonara t1_izoayfm wrote

The Trizor 15XV. This sharpener plus any mid-range knives. Now that's a purchase for life.

Fantastic-Alps4335 t1_izob2vf wrote

Exactly what I did. Paired that sharpener with Tojiro DP knives.

While experienced stone sharpeners can get a better edge. The learning curve is significant for stones and minimal for the chefs choice.

dontcrashandburn t1_izpxev9 wrote

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with your disagreement. It's really easy to get a knife sharing enough to cut paper, you can do it with less than 200 grit. Honestly sharpening higher is just for show and personal pride so while it's nice to have a mirror finish (which I do) it's not necessary. The problem I have with electric sharpeners is they only have one angle. So both European and Asian knives are sharpened the same. Secondly, they sharpen both sides when some knives are only sharpened on one side.

Fantastic-Alps4335 t1_izq54v0 wrote

I can’t disagree with what you are saying about fixed angle and double bevel. If you need those things you either learn stones or buy multiple expensive electric sharpeners.

The Japanese double bevel 15* and VG10 is a fair compromise. I don’t feel like I gave up much with single bevel or different angles of sharp.

My post was specifically retorting the “removes to much metal” mind set that is so prevalent. You disagreed with me, then offered no words to support “removes to much metal”. You offer other good reasons why stones are better. Therefor I must disagree with your disagreement of my disagreement.

PS. But I’m still gona upvote ya.

Just-Leadership6617 t1_iznpg34 wrote

I sharpen my knives on the bottoms of ceramic dishware because my whetstone is filthy