Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Fantastic-Alps4335 t1_iznwxfv wrote

“Even the best electric sharpeners strip so much metal that the knifes balance is affected”. I disagree.

As with any sharpening method stop sharpening as soon as it’s sharp. That can be as little as 5 seconds with an electric.

There are plenty of bad electric sharpeners that won’t get consistent results. 4 years with a Chefs Choice and my vg10 knives still look new. Can shave arm hair and pass the printer paper test.

KevinCarbonara t1_izoayfm wrote

The Trizor 15XV. This sharpener plus any mid-range knives. Now that's a purchase for life.

Fantastic-Alps4335 t1_izob2vf wrote

Exactly what I did. Paired that sharpener with Tojiro DP knives.

While experienced stone sharpeners can get a better edge. The learning curve is significant for stones and minimal for the chefs choice.

dontcrashandburn t1_izpxev9 wrote

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with your disagreement. It's really easy to get a knife sharing enough to cut paper, you can do it with less than 200 grit. Honestly sharpening higher is just for show and personal pride so while it's nice to have a mirror finish (which I do) it's not necessary. The problem I have with electric sharpeners is they only have one angle. So both European and Asian knives are sharpened the same. Secondly, they sharpen both sides when some knives are only sharpened on one side.

Fantastic-Alps4335 t1_izq54v0 wrote

I can’t disagree with what you are saying about fixed angle and double bevel. If you need those things you either learn stones or buy multiple expensive electric sharpeners.

The Japanese double bevel 15* and VG10 is a fair compromise. I don’t feel like I gave up much with single bevel or different angles of sharp.

My post was specifically retorting the “removes to much metal” mind set that is so prevalent. You disagreed with me, then offered no words to support “removes to much metal”. You offer other good reasons why stones are better. Therefor I must disagree with your disagreement of my disagreement.

PS. But I’m still gona upvote ya.