Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

MadMadBunny t1_izm5v7x wrote

Don’t forget—she needs to give you a coin in return!

Darkality24 t1_izmp7qc wrote

Toss a coin to your gifter O butcher of plenty.

mstrokey t1_izotfd9 wrote

stratagizer t1_izp0c5u wrote

Thanks for the link. But hot damn is that website cancer.

chewby14 t1_izpr30n wrote

The knifes are nice though. Cheap, simple and honest. Everyone has one in there pocket where they are from. Opinels rules.

Gusstave t1_izpboc5 wrote

On for superstitious people. The rest of us can happily live without.

keyboardstatic t1_izm74n3 wrote

Good kitchen knives are worth their weight in gold I always say. Of course knowing how to use them safely is very important. But they make life so much easier in the kitchen.

Successful_Space_830 t1_izn3osg wrote

Bottom knife: Misono UX10

Top knife: seems to be a "Togiharu x Misono", unsure about the model but you find a few of them on Korin's website

Both are Swedish stainless steel. Never rusts or loses color. Unlike Japanese steel that can very easily rust if not properly taken care of.

These will last a lifetime. For a home cook, you could go years without reshsrpening them and they still would last a lifetime. But sharpening at least once a year (ideally every 3 months) will make them last hundreds of years. Good investment.

bigsnow999 t1_izne2vy wrote

Go years without resharpening with daily use? I doubt that.

bhuddistchipmonk t1_izojwy4 wrote

I have the bottom knife and can confirm. It’s not quite as sharp as when I first got it, but it is still very sharp and I’ve have mine for ~8 years and sharpened it once.

Just-Leadership6617 t1_iznp9qg wrote

If she uses a honing knife every once in a while I’d bet these knives finish the year out dull but not useless

15795After t1_j0hvi4q wrote

I thought the names were Japanese lol. Are those good brands? Are they sharper or better than Japanese knives?

And what's the proper way to take care of Japanese knives without them rusting?

Previousman755 t1_izm7g8g wrote

Nice. My wife gave me a chef knife prior to our wedding. It is still my primary knife 26 years later

siqbal01 t1_izmoq0l wrote

Dude. She fucking won the game. I hope whoever i end up with loves me enough to care about my passion (for cooking lol) a fraction of the amount you do for your wife. Such a thoughtful and incredibly meaningful forever gift.

spruceymoos t1_izqct8z wrote

Damn it, you just made me lose the game. I was on a ten year or so streak. Thanks bud.

Mkmeathead83 t1_izmed1q wrote

What make are these. You gotta tell us the price tag.

chirpchir t1_izmie8c wrote

>What make are these. You gotta tell us the price tag.

You might notice the blades in the photo are engraved.

Mkmeathead83 t1_izmkl7e wrote

Good lookin out. I missed that at first look. I've been wanting to buy some good kitchen knives. I have a discount for Benchmark but don't know what the best value is.

bhuddistchipmonk t1_izojpzq wrote

Top is a Togiharu, bottom is Misono UX10

The Togiharu I think is between $150-200 and the Misono is around $125ish

Radagon_Gold t1_izn5jyc wrote

It's a lovely gift but just out of concern for the "for life" aspect: when you say you "get them sharpened", are you taking care that it's by hand using whetstones? Because most sharpening services will use an electric sharpener, and even the best electric sharpeners strip so much material from a knife that it starts affecting the balance very quickly. Plus, even once a year for half a lifetime will leave it a noticeably smaller knife than it started as.

I almost made this error myself, with a beautiful classic Wuesthof, which is why I thought to warn you. Please take no offence if it hasn't been necessary. Have a lovely anniversary.

DrWindupBird OP t1_iznx35d wrote

For sure. Since these are sharpened 70/30, I send them away to Korin, where I bought them. They have someone there whose only job is to sharpen the knives. They turn it into a kind of performance. It’s neat! I don’t really trust folks around where I live now.

satansbuttplug t1_izquawl wrote

I bought my knives in person at Korin. I can attest that their resident knife master puts a 70/30 edge by hand on each knife as part of the purchase. He did it in front of me using Japanese water stones.

Fantastic-Alps4335 t1_iznwxfv wrote

“Even the best electric sharpeners strip so much metal that the knifes balance is affected”. I disagree.

As with any sharpening method stop sharpening as soon as it’s sharp. That can be as little as 5 seconds with an electric.

There are plenty of bad electric sharpeners that won’t get consistent results. 4 years with a Chefs Choice and my vg10 knives still look new. Can shave arm hair and pass the printer paper test.

KevinCarbonara t1_izoayfm wrote

The Trizor 15XV. This sharpener plus any mid-range knives. Now that's a purchase for life.

Fantastic-Alps4335 t1_izob2vf wrote

Exactly what I did. Paired that sharpener with Tojiro DP knives.

While experienced stone sharpeners can get a better edge. The learning curve is significant for stones and minimal for the chefs choice.

dontcrashandburn t1_izpxev9 wrote

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with your disagreement. It's really easy to get a knife sharing enough to cut paper, you can do it with less than 200 grit. Honestly sharpening higher is just for show and personal pride so while it's nice to have a mirror finish (which I do) it's not necessary. The problem I have with electric sharpeners is they only have one angle. So both European and Asian knives are sharpened the same. Secondly, they sharpen both sides when some knives are only sharpened on one side.

Fantastic-Alps4335 t1_izq54v0 wrote

I can’t disagree with what you are saying about fixed angle and double bevel. If you need those things you either learn stones or buy multiple expensive electric sharpeners.

The Japanese double bevel 15* and VG10 is a fair compromise. I don’t feel like I gave up much with single bevel or different angles of sharp.

My post was specifically retorting the “removes to much metal” mind set that is so prevalent. You disagreed with me, then offered no words to support “removes to much metal”. You offer other good reasons why stones are better. Therefor I must disagree with your disagreement of my disagreement.

PS. But I’m still gona upvote ya.

Just-Leadership6617 t1_iznpg34 wrote

I sharpen my knives on the bottoms of ceramic dishware because my whetstone is filthy

Trythenewpage t1_iznq8hd wrote

In my family, knives are never to be given as wedding/engagement gifts. Just a superstition. I think its because of the possibility of gifting a forever gift that can facilitate a forever dirt nap.

p0rty-Boi t1_iznxpc4 wrote

Was gonna say these folks are not very superstitious.

educateyourself1 t1_izmixjp wrote

That is really sweet and unique and practical!

dyejob t1_izmquo1 wrote

This is such a dreamy gift idea! Maybe I will do this for my husband and I on our first wedding anniversary.

RandoUser81 t1_izm6zg4 wrote

cool! what a lovely gift.

rakman t1_izngvh7 wrote

Yup, good kitchen knives are the best. I have had mine for 41 (a Sabatier chef’s), 37 (Regal chef’s, surprisingly amazing Made in Japan knife I got at Zayre, a defunct discount chain), and 22 years (Wüsthof set)!

I tried whetstones for sharpening but they were a pain in the ass, switched to a $10 AccuSharp manual sharpener from Amazon 13 years ago and it’s been great (if you just want sharp knives and not win knife sharpening thread wars).

[deleted] t1_izq6hdz wrote

That is beautiful!

Unique-Ad-9316 t1_iznlcqo wrote

My go-to wedding gift for family members is top quality knives. As good as I can afford anyway...

daHollerBoy t1_izoivgx wrote

Nice! I was hoping to get my wife's knives laser engraved but lazied out.

trunner1234 t1_izp1z76 wrote

Just wait until you have kids and they use them for everything and put them in the dishwasher

iAmUnintelligible t1_izpr9w9 wrote

Long time ago I had my blades sharpened and my mom proceeded to cut fucking frozen bread the same day. The blade was immediately dulled. I swear she did it on purpose.

supply19 t1_izp95dy wrote

We’re celebrating 10 years of being together with a trip to a and e for our son - this feels like a better idea! Congratulations x

Enough_Appearance116 t1_izpgb5n wrote

You know, in my superstitious family, giving a loved one a knife "cuts" the relationship...

It worked well for my sister's stupid ex

blbd t1_izpoufg wrote

Nice stuff, did you use JCK? I've got a Fujiwara carbon and a Hattori VG-10 and a higher series Wusthof and Henckels. Multigenerational quality products.

Crafty_Ranger_2917 t1_izq2ul0 wrote

Knives are not forever items. They are meant to be used, sharpened, and then replaced when worn out.

DrWindupBird OP t1_izq42xw wrote

Good point. Though at this rate we’ll have these for most of our lives.

honeybeedreams t1_izq8f3r wrote

that’s amazing!! i am always afraid of asking for knives for my birthday and such.

giveitagoodmoist t1_izqmjpd wrote

Wait, you proposed to her with a knife instead of a ring?

Carma-Erynna t1_izr0dbo wrote

Okay, so what are they and where do I get them?!?!?!

DrWindupBird OP t1_izs5mp4 wrote

Both of these come from Korin in nyc. The chefs knife is a Misono Togiharu and the paring knife is a UX10 gyuto, which apparently you can get on Amazon now

milesbeats t1_izr7j9y wrote

Damn and that was in 2012 ... My concept of time is so warped

MiAmMe t1_izrtfwz wrote

Meh. Those aren't Kamikoto knives. I've been told reliably that Kamikoto knives are the only ones worth buying. ;)

[deleted] t1_izyp5cd wrote

This is a great gift idea. Hard to misplace and lasts a very very long time.

15795After t1_j0hvme8 wrote

Where do you take them to get engraved?

ColdEvenKeeled t1_izoj8r3 wrote

I don't get it. I sharpen knives with a whetstone just whenever they need, but then I was raised sharpening knives, axes, Pulaskis (fire line tool), shovels (for cutting through roots) and chainsaws. I can't manage without crisp sharpness.

Quinquilharia t1_izmus0g wrote

everyone needs a good kitchen knife. Nobody needs jewelry.

−1

Justatomsawyer t1_izompi6 wrote

Just buy a knife sharpener, this is just such a weird flex

−3