Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

XxLoxBagelxX t1_j68wyo5 wrote

The fuck are these op replies? They get recommendations and immediately shit on them.

“Try a buckwheat pillow.”

OP “No. Buckwheat bad. No reason why. Don’t know what buckwheat is and disagree with recommendation. Want good old fashioned cheap BIFL pillow.”

“Try this pillow made in a wool mill that’s been operating since 1894. They don’t do marketing to keep prices low.”

OP “No. Want good old fashioned pillow. Not new pillow.”

“Here’s a comprehensive video about pillow reviews.”

OP “Okay… 45 min video… will check it out.”

“Here’s a pillow I like from Marshall’s.”

OP “WHY do you like it?”

“Hey OP pillows generally aren’t BIFL and there’s a lot of preference involved.”

OP “Yeah but where do I get THE TRUTH?!”

They want someone to tell them that Dollar Tree secretly has the best pillows with a scale in them that takes digital readings of your head and design a pressure map to provide perfect resistances to them, but it’s powered by sleep magic so there’s no batteries. Also it’s made of magic fairy wings that flutter to keep you cool all night and it’s got Frodos mithril chain shirt woven into it so it’s a great back support for watching tv AND sleeping! Doesn’t matter if you’re a side sleeper, back sleeper, sleep on your stomach, in a chair, on the floor, or on a plane this pillow DOES IT ALL for only $1.99!!

Ok-Professional5579 t1_j69f2cu wrote

Maybe OP is the my pillow guy doing market research.

Apprehensive-Big6762 t1_j6acnb6 wrote

not the mypillow guy, but the second most firm pillow there made my headaches go away. the firmest one makes them worse. had some bamboo 95% off nonsense memory foam pillows from wayfair at one point that were nice long enough for me to toss out my trusty pillows, then caused headaches. in conclusion, make sleep great again.

ConBroMitch t1_j68dmd5 wrote

Pillows are SO subjective, it’s really difficult to find a source of truth to learn about them etc.

With that said, I’ve been through many, many pillows over the years.

I’ve found I/we like… buckwheat and wool pillows.

I’ve you’ve never tried a buckwheat pillow, I highly recommend one from Hullo. There is a bit of a “learning curve” to the pillow as it’s like sleeping on a beanbag (sort of). The fill is loose inside, so it moves around a bit. You’ll need some trial and error to find the amount of fill you like (you can remove and add fill to fit your body type).

SpeakerSame9076 t1_j68faix wrote

Agree with the buckwheat pillow.

My bestie got me one cause I get neck pain with basically every pillow, and I hated it at first, but once I got used to it I like it better than softer ones. It's still not perfect (I shape it how i want every night, but it doesn't stay in that shape, so I'll have to try different cases or something) but I hurt less than with others.

Which leads me to my criteria for pillows. If you wake up feeling good, keep doing what you're doing. If your head or neck hurt in the morning, change pillows. Tons will depend on what you feel is comfortable and how you sleep. Try to keep your spine in a relaxed straight form (following its natural curves of course, don't try to be an ironing board) not turned or twisted.

For me, having more bulk under my neck than my head puts my cervical spine in a straighter alignment that reduces strain on my spine and muscles that reduces pain in my neck and head. So foam or buckwheat or things that can do that (I may have to try the wool mentioned above) - put bulk where I need the support - are what I look for.

CDN_a t1_j68g3w6 wrote

You make a good point saying, keep doing what's working for you' which have been my synthetic fill / down alternative pillows... but there's a MILLION different manufacturers and price points of them and how to distinguish among them quality and cost wise... hopefully not to get ripped off? Thank you for your input.

SpeakerSame9076 t1_j6hrzyj wrote

I have been super very poor, so my strategy is to buy the absolutely cheapest possible option and only upgrade if it hinders or doesn't help or wears out too quickly. And by cheapest possible I mean like $3 pillows at goodwill or Marc's or Ollie's. It's a little harder to get ripped off at low price points, and sometimes you encounter unexpected gems.

CDN_a t1_j68elzl wrote

Yeah... thank you very much... buckwheat no... I don't think so... that doesn't sound breathable, nor washable... nor adaptable to fluffing and putting behind one's back when sitting up watching tv... but thanks. Just some normal, cheap good pillow would be great!

−51

ConBroMitch t1_j68gr7u wrote

I suggest you do research on it before making assumptions. Because almost all of what you just said is completely incorrect.

CDN_a t1_j68hkz7 wrote

Ok I stand to be corrected... I'm sorry perhaps they are breathable and washable I have NO idea! Thanks!

−11

ConBroMitch t1_j68rsiy wrote

Pro tip - don’t ask for buying advice from people who know better, and then question that advice with 0 evidence or knowledge on the subject.

XxLoxBagelxX t1_j68v3ny wrote

Your primary issue is you want GOOD and CHEAP. Those two things are usually mutually exclusive, especially when talking BIFL products that aren’t cast iron. Buckwheat pillows are a great fit for what you’re asking for and what you’re saying you need them for. However is sounds like you want someone to jump in and tell you Great Value pillows are the way to go.

Buckwheat pillows are literally ideal for all of that. I paid $100 for my buckwheat Hullo pillow and quickly had to buy my boyfriend one as he was so jealous. 5 years later they’re still in perfect condition.

Buckwheat pillows cost more and you have to dial it in, but they’re 10000x better than any other pillow I’ve found. Other pillows are the way the come, and they’re either perfect or not. With buckwheat you can make the pillow you want.

As for washable they’re incredibly easy to clean. Dump the hulls into a trash bag, wash the cover, dump the hulls back in, move on with your day. The washer doesn’t destroy your pillow. Should you want to replace the buckwheat filling for some reason that’s easy to do as well.

MeinScheduinFroiline t1_j68p6kk wrote

Whatever you end up going with, BUY ANTIMICROBIAL PILLOW PROTECTORS. They will extend the life of your pillows by many years. The generally fall into two categories and a lot of companies make both. The lower quality ones are a variety of poly fabrics and the better quality ones are of tight weave cotton. I find the poly ones tend to hold air so puff up every time you put your head on them and can sound plasticy. The cotton ones don’t do that and are super nice. Either way, I would recommend using a pillow case over that you wash regularly and then wash the covers every month or so.

Blueporch t1_j68bbvi wrote

Pillows really should not be buy it for life for sanitary reasons

Low_Elk6698 t1_j69vix5 wrote

I buy cheap pillows and replace them often. I know its not 'buy it for life', but I buy them often for my own quality of life. I am allergic to dust mites and no amount of sterilizing washing will get rid of them for my level of sensitivity. It really has to be a personal decision.

CDN_a t1_j68bz8o wrote

Yes I certainly understand that, I just hate getting ripped off and who does one ask for the truth? Thanks.

−1

TheNazruddin t1_j68enoy wrote

Bro it’s your hygiene. Let this one go.

−21

riptide13 t1_j68nmip wrote

He's asking about getting good value, not commenting on pillow lifecycles.

TheNazruddin t1_j69ewkm wrote

Sorry I forgot what sub we were in

riptide13 t1_j69inrj wrote

Yeah check out r/sassy_internet_chump, probably more appropriate.

CDN_a t1_j68f9k4 wrote

I'm not sure what you mean...? I certainly intend to replace my pillows and to do so every few years... the question is... at what price $450 dollars each... or $$80 dollars each... what is a rip off or not... and what am I getting... and what should I look for? If you don't have an answer that's okay... I don't have one either? Thank you.

pmmeyourfavsongs t1_j69bk1l wrote

My dude it is a pillow. It's all personal preference. There's no point in spending hundreds on a pillow if you can't afford it because you should throw them out in a couple years anyway. High quality doesn't really matter that much when it comes to disposable items since you're gonna throw it out before it wears out anyway

bwonks t1_j68gc0o wrote

Natural latex pillows. I have a shredded latex pillow that came with my latex mattress and it's the best pillow I have ever had.

ampersandeds t1_j68rlwq wrote

I love latex foam pillows. I’ve never used the shredded kind but the solid ones are great. They are apparently good for dust allergies which I have.

TrishaThoon t1_j69g6ah wrote

I have two latex foam pillows and I love them. I got them at BB&B years ago but I cannot find them anymore and I want another one. Where did you gets yours?

ampersandeds t1_j6b6rvn wrote

I think it was Amazon. I looked in stores for a long time to find a replacement for my very very old one but couldn’t find one anywhere. I’m in Canada so they might be more available other places.

bassjam1 t1_j68skrg wrote

Same, got a set of shredded latex pillows with my sleepez mattress. At first my wife and I were like "these are weird" but we decided to give them a shot. I love it now. She still prefers a more firm pillow under her head but likes the shredded latex pillow between her knees at night.

throwaway126400963 t1_j6a8ars wrote

Latex like the stuff they put in gloves? That doesn’t sound as comfy as say a down pillow. What’s so great about it

−2

bwonks t1_j6hkqd9 wrote

It's latex (rubber) sap straight from the tree. It is whipped into a foam poured into a mold and baked. It is supportive and springy/bouncy unlike memory foam, but it still contours to your body. The latex foam doesn't break down and sag like memory foam from what I have read. I have only had my mattress and pillows for about 2 years, so I can't really comment much on the actual longevity. Also I have never had a solid latex pillow only shredded so I can't say much about those.

CDN_a t1_j68h664 wrote

Is latex breathable, washable? I suspect not so much... I'm lost but thank you! :)

−15

greenglass88 t1_j68wpnw wrote

Very breathable. The solid latex pillows typically have lots of perforations for air circulation. I just got two of these pillows from Brooklyn Bedding, and I didn’t know a pillow could make me so happy:

https://brooklynbedding.com/products/talalay-latex-pillow

It feels like the perfect combination of supportive and soft. I’ve had a latex mattress for several years and absolutely love it, so I figured I’d also like a latex pillow. I haven’t tried washing them yet, but they come with an organic cotton cover that’s washable. They recommend spot cleaning the latex inserts.

DarkObserver t1_j68o04d wrote

I second the latex.

Your not gonna find one you like without researching the specific material and finding the specific pillows then spending hundreds to thousands ordering and trying them all. That’s what I had to do anyway. I wound up at latex.

bwonks t1_j69mch9 wrote

Very breathable and not anything like memory foam. Latex doesn't sleep hot like memory foam, and latex actually has bounce to it unlike memory foam.

Aggravated_Pineapple t1_j68dtvt wrote

Unfortunately I don’t have any advice but I’m here to commiserate. Feels like a never ending quest

Junior_Ad2955 t1_j68c0m1 wrote

You got screwed on a down alternative pillow being “on sale at $55” wool pillows are the way to go. Best you will ever have, we get ours from Frankenmuth Woolen Mill.

Auup t1_j69quh7 wrote

Sounds nice, looking into it. How do you clean a wool pillow though?

Thanmandrathor t1_j6b350x wrote

Not the person you responded to, so I can’t speak to a wool pillow, but wool itself is naturally antimicrobial, which does a significant amount of the work for you.

And I use pillow protectors as an added washable layer under the pillow case on mine.

CDN_a t1_j68cdhj wrote

Lovely... nice to know I got screwed...lol. Yeah well... wool pillows... that's a new one... never heard of it... would prefer to stick with the old school... whatever that is... if it even exists anymore...? There never used to be a jillion different, marketing driven, variations of such a simple thing. But thank you!

−13

wild-yeast-baker t1_j68x4fd wrote

If you’re just going to stick with the old school ( feathers or straw depending on how rich you were) why did you even ask? People are giving you answers to your question and you’re just saying no while also admitting you don’t know anything about their suggestion! 😂

Junior_Ad2955 t1_j68col8 wrote

This company does no marketing or sales to give the lowest prices, and they have done that since they start making wool comforters and pillows in 1894, out of the same factory. Don’t get them confused with the new “space” or “cooling” pillows because they are none of that, but are much better.

janedoecurious t1_j6afzlu wrote

I am so interested in this—never thought of a wool pillow!

CDN_a t1_j68ddgt wrote

Yeah ok... interesting... thanks. Seems to me that the my pillow guy and his ilk are now in the same category as hocus pocus stereo salespeople, mattress salespeople and other assorted liars. By the time I'm dead I'll have bought every different variation and enriched every scam artist...lol. For heaven's sake what is the truth?

−4

Easy_Independent_313 t1_j68ffgq wrote

I think IKEA has the best feather and down pillows for a really decent price.

CDN_a t1_j68g8q6 wrote

Ok will check it out.. thanks!

−1

WeirdSeaworthiness67 t1_j68e26s wrote

Go to a Home Goods or Marshall’s, get the one Tommy Bahama pillow they sell. I’ll drop $100 on a pillow because they’re important and I’ve tried them ALL. You can save yourself the time and money with this one. It’s supernaturally perfect and I think it’s <$20. I can take a pic if you like just message me

CDN_a t1_j68eu7u wrote

Yes thanks... but WHY is it good... and what is the distinction between a good pillow and a poor pillow? Also at those places one has no ability to try them... unless you wanna lie on the floor...lol. But thank you.

−37

_annie_bird t1_j68xwdo wrote

What is best for you depends on you. How do you sleep? What position? You mentioned in another comment fluffing it to put behind your back to watch TV; tbh, the right pillow for that is likely not going to also be the right pillow to sleep on. Plus, doing that will deform the pillow and might make it not as effective for sleep, as well as make it wear out (and get dirty!) faster. So I highly suggest getting a cheaper pillow for lounging and TV watching, and get a nice pillow for sleeping that only ever touches your face and head.

Awesomest_Possumest t1_j69fp92 wrote

I have a super memory pillow I got cause I thought I would like it. Turns out it's way too high for me to sleep on my stomach. So I have a super flat pillow and then use the memory one for my back at night. Just keep two stacked on the bed. And if I wake up and need to side sleep, I can just yank that pillow up and swap at night.

I'm sure there's no one pillow that's great for multiple sleeping positions, because I roll around in my sleep (sometimes becoming a literal burrito in the sheets), and having a couple different pillows has helped so I can grab whichever one Im feeling the most that night.

CDN_a t1_j6adyx1 wrote

That's a good point, thank you.

timegoesbytoofast t1_j68xgcx wrote

A pillow should be both soft and supportive for your head and how you sleep (front, side, back) tossing and turning. There is no one right answer. I agree the pillows (Tommy Bahamas) with poly fill are worth trying and are a good value. This pillow is soft, supportive holds its shape and is comfortable for sleeping.

thatsarealhobbit t1_j68g8u2 wrote

Scott Cramer on YouTube recently made a video reviewing several pillows from different price points, worth a watch

CDN_a t1_j68gyrx wrote

Thanks... 45 min vid... will check it out!

−12

TrishaThoon t1_j69gnqd wrote

Why are you sh**ing on people for trying to help you? Why bother?

Ambitious-Hornet9673 t1_j68rk6s wrote

My goal with a pillow is that I don’t care how much it costs but it needs to be right for me so I get good quality sleep. I value my sleep far more than the cost of a pillow.

I wouldn’t even focus on BIFL for a pillow. I’d focus on the reviews and finding one that fits the style you sleep and ensures you have a quality sleep. It will drastically improve other areas of your life.

ratty_mum t1_j68m5b7 wrote

Ok so I know you aren’t looking for a specific pillow recommendation but I did a ton of research and kept coming across this pillow by dosaze for $119. It didn’t really look like one I would go for but it had a 60 day return policy. Hands down the best pillow I’ve ever owned. Help significantly with neck and shoulder pain. Before, I was swapping out pillows every couple of nights and now I only sleep with this one. I’ve had it for about a year. Highly recommend giving it a shot but also because pillows are so personal, and you can’t know until you sleep on one, try to find ones with really good return policies like this one so you feel like it’s less of a risk spending the extra cash.

CDN_a t1_j68nxqj wrote

Totally agree with your point on the return policy... although I'd prefer to make an informed decision and not have the hassle of return and then continuing the search... ok will look into your specific recommendation. Than you very much!

old-hand-2 t1_j68o7c4 wrote

The My Pillow guy has been trying to share the ‘real truth’ about everything for quite some time now.

/s

LeakyBrainJuice t1_j69c7zy wrote

I wouldn't support his company but - I got gifted 2 by my inlaws like 8 or 9 years ago and I actually like them quite a bit. I know there are similar brands out there. Also I know they aren't for everyone.

Contrariwise2 t1_j6ak2cd wrote

My husband LOVES The My Pillow. Also his brother thinks they're amazing and replaced every pillow in his house with them.

Me, not at all. I just don't find them as comfortable as my feather pillows. (And my husband keeps trying to trick me by switching out my feather pillow with The My Pillow. I can tell the difference immediately.)

Seriously, everyone has their own preferences. What one person loves, another might not.

WantonChrysanthemum t1_j68eium wrote

Not to make your search more complicated, but please be aware that many pillows are treated with flame retardants and formaldehyde that are really not good for long term exposure. If you live in the US, certain bedding and household materials are required to be treated with these chemicals to meet flame retardant standards. Additionally, certain foams off gas some pretty nasty stuff.

Certain materials are exempt from this chemical treatment, as they are naturally flame retardant. Wool and natural latex are two safer options.

CDN_a t1_j68fo2d wrote

That's an interesting consideration thank you. But of course, one would think that the powers that be... that is, if one trusts the powers that be... must have determined what is/are acceptable levels of such and not harmful... soooo? But thank you very much! It's not any ONE particular recommendation I'm looking for... it's how to intelligently shop this product? Thanks!

−6

WantonChrysanthemum t1_j68k249 wrote

“It all began with the cigarette, the leading cause of fires in the United States. Against pressure to create cigarettes that safely extinguish on upholstery, the tobacco industry redirected the blame onto furniture manufacturers, claiming that they have a responsibility to make furniture less susceptible to fire. The door was opened for the chemical industry, which lobbied heavily for the use of flame-retardants in furniture. The very law supposed to protect our rights now required the use of toxic chemicals in household products. Investigative reporters at the Chicago Tribune first published this alarming series of events.

Research strongly connects the chemicals in flame retardants to cancer. Firefighters are disproportionately affected because of their consistent exposure to the chemical fumes released from furniture in fires. The toxins are found in human bodies and in breast milk; children are among the most susceptible.” Link: https://green.harvard.edu/news/uncovering-flame-retardant-scandal

Yeah I definitely don’t trust the government on this issue. It’s serious, linked to cancer, endocrine problems, all kinds of things. Plus they don’t actually prevent fires, and when they do ignite, they create serious health hazards for fire fighters, it’s seriously fucked. There’s hundreds of different kinds of FRs, and they’re still being studied individually. It’s very difficult to get a clear picture of one’s own personal risk. As a consumer, since there is no way of knowing which products contain which chemicals, I opt to avoid them as much as possible by choosing untreated alternatives. Why risk it.

Front_Judge_5872 t1_j68v3bu wrote

Per your article private corporations are to blame. The government was manipulated by these corporations. Then it’s followed up with don’t trust your government? Don’t you mean don’t underestimate the will and ability of private corporations to pervert your government?

WantonChrysanthemum t1_j69456q wrote

I mean yeah obviously, of course I do not trust a government that caves so readily to corporate interests and lobbying and does not put the health and safety of its people first. Why are you splitting hairs of two sides of the same coin.

CDN_a t1_j68oijh wrote

Dunno... I just trust.. anyway fires ARE a good reason.. aren't they? Suppose I could sleep on one of those Chinese wooden block things... lol! Anyway I've been exposed to God knows what in my career... still breathing... lol! Thanks.

−10

DarkObserver t1_j68o5vc wrote

The ‘how’ is to spend hours researching and comparing and reading anecdotal events then making a purchase. Trying it. Then returning it. Repeat.

GoorooDougie t1_j68vwxb wrote

Check out Wirecutter for testing, reviews, and discussion (may require subscription): https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-bed-pillows/

I've been using their reviews on lots of items for years and very happy with most of what I've picked up. They usually have budget and upgrade picks and explain the differences.

I've been through tons of pillow options over the years, never quite satisfied. Just picked up the Wirecutter back sleeper recommendation at $90 (Nest Easy Breather) and it is hugely more comfortable than what I had. I was also wary of spending that much but glad I pulled the trigger. Haven't had it long enough to know long-term, but I feel pretty confident with all the info in their review.

Thanmandrathor t1_j6b2xkz wrote

I like that Wirecutter tests pretty extensively (at least the items I’ve read reviews for). Their reviews also give good options that allow for a range of price points and in case you want all the bells and whistles.

alilmagpie t1_j68jd63 wrote

I’ve had several neck/head surgeries so obvi I have to be careful with my pillows. Casper pillow is incredible and amazing.

munkymu t1_j68q7lx wrote

I've bought my last few pillows at Ikea. They've all been good quality and durable, and Ikea isn't about ripping people off so I don't think their prices are unreasonable for what I'm getting. Plus you can go to one of their stores (if you live near one) and prod at the pillows yourself, and even try one out on one of their beds (they're all in plastic packages if I recall correctly so you're not going to be buying a pillow other people have gotten dirty).

Plus if a pillow doesn't work for you, you can return it. Although I think they have to destroy it at that point so maybe consider keeping it for the sofa or as a spare for guests or something.

rozfowler t1_j68ynhr wrote

Go with something made of natural fabrics and get a cotton antimicrobial pillow protector for it. The best natural materials for pillows are goose down, wool, latex, and buckwheat generally. Each is different and would appeal to a different type of sleeper. If you know you like down alternative pillows, a goose down pillow is likely a good investment (if you also invest in a pillow protector). If foam pillows are more your thing, latex is probably the best way to go.

toester25 t1_j68nq6e wrote

Since a car accident 10 years ago, I have struggled with pillows. I have neck, shoulder, back, hip, legs problems. But if my neck is bad, everything else seems to flare as well. This past year, I gave Members Mark pillows a go (Sam’s Club). They were highly rated on the website with some comments about recent decrease in fill but I tried. Life changing for me. Probably about $16-18 for two. Yes, the fill needs work and in 8 months, I replaced them but rotate all four on my bed. They loft up in between. I may cut one open and use the fill to improve the others. Regardless, i have done gel, foam, feather, alternative down - up to $150/pillow. These are now my pilllows of choice.

BraveEye9015 t1_j68tz8d wrote

Martha Stewart Feels like Down at macys. Great pillow

ShitTalkingAssWipe t1_j68xlom wrote

I found a bunch of different pillows (super soft, medium firm, etc) for $5-10 at Walmart, got one of each and now use a mix of them to make it comfortable. They have held up for 1 year so far

Coconut_Rhubarb t1_j68z65i wrote

I have these expensive latex pillows from Sleep Country that are worth every penny! They never lose their shape!

Alarming_Database191 t1_j68z86g wrote

Parachute is the best pillow. I have purchased hundreds of pillows throughout the years trying to find the best one.

sleepigrl t1_j693ohr wrote

Second vote for the COop pillows. Bought one for hubby last year and he liked it so much I bought one for myself. A nice benefit to these is their 100-day return policy, so you get the chance to really try it out!

bobbymac555555 t1_j69cs1q wrote

I am 71 and Just discovered buckwheat pillows. Mine really works for me!

ImportanceAcademic43 t1_j69db6u wrote

A pillow is a thing I'm fine NOT buying for life. I'm 35 and I usually rotate at least two pillows of different firmness, because it's better for my neck and actually helps reduce headaches.

I'm on my third and fourth IKEA pillow and I'll probably get one from there again, once I throw one of the other two out.

Even-Further t1_j69hio0 wrote

Cold Touch Contour Gel-Infused Memory Foam Pillow - Oversized

We like these from Macy’s. We’ve bought them on sale for 20 to 40 in the past. We also have a shredded latex that is nice too.

Senacharim t1_j69lflr wrote

For a different perspective, maybe try posting on /r/helpmefind with something like "Looking for a washable pillow that will last me a decade"

Arrakis_Surfer t1_j69rf35 wrote

Wool fill. Had it more than ten years. The casing probably needs a change soon but i just recently pulled out the wool to rearrange it. Like new

Tri343 t1_j69xzg3 wrote

my pillow is whatever blanket i form around my head. theres really no best pillow. some people like soft or hard or different textures.

most the time i dont even use a pillow i just sleep flat on my back flat.

AutoModerator t1_j68aza0 wrote

Hello /u/CDN_a! Thank you for your submission! The AutoMod thought that your post might be a request type post and has changed the flair accordingly, but if this was wrong feel free to change it back!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Popup-window t1_j69f07u wrote

Markup percent on pillows (and bedding in general) is huge. None of them are BIFL products, not a single one. Just get regular cheap pillows, there is literally no difference in function.

_Arcsine_ t1_j6a2zx3 wrote

I have a hard time finding good pillows, I came across some perfect ones at Marshalls for like $30. Also I don't think pillows are a great BIFL item, they get gross after awhile.

ichillonforums t1_j6aa8pu wrote

Ob my gosh I have been wondering this same thing, my dad and stepmom had these really freaking nice king sized pillows I LOVED, but have no idea the brand or the name, and it's been bothering me for god knows how long. Dad passed and I now have no way of contacting the step mom

Laetitian t1_j6acr3c wrote

>I don't wish to experiment with buckwheat, gel et al... just a normal pillow that isn't worth a million dollars

If you like firm, thick pillows, cotton filling is the best deal. Firm, cheap, and infinitely more durable than any polymer fill materials. Ideally buy pillows slightly larger than your pillow cases for truly bulging tautness.

The first pillows I ever bought were cotton-filled, and I wish I had never replaced them. They stayed with me for many years, and retained their shape. The polyester-filled replacements I bought were completely worn down after less than a year.

Mind you, the general recommendation for spine health is that you shouldn't life your head too high. But I can guarantee you, your pillow choice won't save your neck anyway. Exercise, posture, and an animated daily routine are the only true deciding factors of your orthopedic health. Just pick a pillow you like sleeping on.

If you prefer softer pillows, down or memory foam will treat you well.

If you want to go test pillows, make sure to find out your mattress firmness grading, so you can compare it on a similar mattress in a boutique. Apparently that influences how pillows feel quite a bit.

gitsgrl t1_j6aew3a wrote

Whatever is most comfortable for you is the best, price doesn’t matter one bit.

remesabo t1_j6ak5yi wrote

Imo, and only after I have spent $600 in 2 years on different pillows, just stay with he box store options. Maybe not the $7 pillows, but $20ish. Don't fall for gimmicks, I tried cooling pillows (polyester cover on a regular polyfill) , adjustable cluster pillows (literally filled with foam trash), memory foam (too hot, hard, and odd to roll over), feather/down (too thin for side sleeping) and a few others. What I, personally, found is that an extra firm polyfill $20 no gimmick pillow from target is 1000% more comfortable for me (135lb side sleeper). I can roll over without having to readjust it or wait for foam to reshape, and when it gets flat in 8 months I'm only out $20. I do like to have an extra plush/soft pillow on the bed just for sitting up reading, but that can be any old cheap-y. Hope this helps, good luck!

5spd4wd t1_j6amapg wrote

You're overthinking this by a lot. Pillows are such personal things, only you know what you're willing to pay for what type suits you.

generic-affliction t1_j68gy8h wrote

Pillow purchases now require considerations for political affiliation. I never thought that would be the case but that’s where we are. Where do you stand on election denial and insurrection? It would help in narrowing down available options.

CDN_a t1_j68hddw wrote

Well for one thing... I'm Canadian so I don't care... except that guy's an obvious charlatan LOL!

bubblehashguy t1_j68wfyz wrote

I can't use the same pillow every single night. I've got a Uttu from Amazon & an I heart my pillow. I rotate them out. They both suck after awhile. The first few nights/weeks after a swap is wonderful. I switch as soon as I feel the slightest discomfort in the morning. Then I'm good again.

hypothetician t1_j69a9w7 wrote

This is the kind of thing I’d talk to chatgpt about.

Dappersworth t1_j68uw4r wrote

The copper pillow from walmart is like 10$ for a normal size. I've had the king size one for a couple years now and it hasn't lost any shape at all, I love it. Just a full polyester pillow with well made filling.

−1

Bernard_schwartz t1_j68v047 wrote

That My Pillow guy seems like he’s on the up and up!

−3

CamelHairy t1_j68lv1m wrote

Mypillow.com

3 bed sizes, 4 firmness sizes, average $30 comes with a 60 day money back guarantee. I like the medium firmness, my wife likes the hard firmness. Been using for well over 10 years.

−7

ConBroMitch t1_j69z2te wrote

The Reddit hive mind isn’t going to like this suggestion!

gruntothesmitey t1_j68zec4 wrote

Yes, but then you are giving that unmitigated asshole insurrectionist dickhead money. Which is a non-starter.

Demonvoi t1_j68u50d wrote

People can hate the guy all they want, it's a great pillow that adjusts to you plus the money back guarantee. Would be stupid not to try it.

−2