Submitted by t3m3r1t4 t3_11bme7f in BuyItForLife

Bought a Dyson DC36 canister vacuum ten years ago. Washed the filters regularly but after 5-7 years performance was lacking where sometimes the machine head wouldn't spin (uses suction instead of a motor to spin).

Finally this year after trying to avoid completely replacing I checked the Dyson website and my model wasn't listed for their filters but another one had similar looking filters. Ask Customer Support and they confirmed compatibility.

Spent $550 plus tax in 2012 for the vacuum and now another $110 plus tax and shipping for new filters.

Just a note they Dyson tried to pull an Apple on us and the post HEPA filter didn't quite fit tight so I had to shave a bit of plastic to get it in tight.

It runs like brand new! 🙌🏻

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

nrith t1_j9yjoqv wrote

Dyson products are the very antithesis of BIFL.

baudylaura t1_j9ylntz wrote

No not at all. I just mean it’s not your classic BIFL product. I’ve found the battery life has faded quite a bit on mine, as well. I was just saying the commenter above you had a point (if hyperbolic).

spambearpig t1_j9yqvh8 wrote

I’ve got a bunch of Dyson battery vacuums had em for years. Bought replacement batteries and filters but don’t buy the official ones. Everything works and nothing has broken. I’m pretty happy with them.

LongTimeLurker818 t1_j9z0gn8 wrote

I got the purple one (The Dyson Animal 2) and I really dislike it’s self adjusting head. It pushes dirt around on flat surfaces and it’s suction is too strong for rugs. So I have to use an attachment for rugs. It gets a lot of dirt but it’s head design doesn’t fit under toe kicks. It doesn’t have enough ground clearance for bigger chunks. For the price tag, I’m really unimpressed.

I had a dirt devil that was about a 1/4 of the cost and it was the best vacuum I ever owned. I had to replace the belts once because I was drunk cleaning and I drove over some cables. I even took it on job sights and cleaned sawdust and drywall.

Wife made me throw out the dirt devil.

Starman68 t1_j9z6v9s wrote

The motors are acknowledged as being good, but they use yogurt carton plastic in the construction and the results are wobbly products that eventually fall to bits. Not BIFL. Miele is BIFL. Dyson is buy it for a year.

Fair-Store-1580 t1_j9zbxzt wrote

Dyson is great in my experience. Hands down the best vacuum I’ve had and it works like new after 5 years. Still going strong.

And if you buy from Costco, you can just return it if it ever breaks. So can definitely be BIFL.

ConBroMitch t1_ja32yl5 wrote

Old Dysons are “okay”. But I certainly wouldn’t consider any new Dyson vacuum anywhere near BIFL quality.

BIFL = corded and bagged Miele, SEBO or Lindhaus

Cordless & Bagless = disposable toy (shark and dyson)

PScooter63 t1_ja4e7f5 wrote

What exactly do you mean by "pull an Apple on us?" What did Apple do to you?