Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tobiasrfunke t1_iudv0qu wrote

Oliva, which is now in Bethlehem, is run by a Lebanese chef who trained in Italy. His food is not 100% traditional, but is worth checking out if you like middle eastern flavors. I worked for him for many years and the menu staples are amazing. His restaurant used to be in New Preston. He opened it after running Doc's Trattoria for a number of years.

Sultans in Waterbury is a popular authentic place.

nintendosbitch666 t1_iudz3se wrote

It cracks me up when people say this because my ex boss's daughter owns sultan's with her husband. Now, i dont know the daughter or her husband. But, my ex boss is from Greece (he owns a greek pizza place) and his wife is VERY american.

That being said, ive eaten there before and they were really really good. Absolutely would recommend them.

tobiasrfunke t1_iue00ig wrote

Last time I was there, which was a while ago, the chef was Turkish.

Cockydjinn t1_iufguea wrote

The ethnicity of the cook matters? Man, the last time I went to that irish place, Mc Donald’s I don’t think he was Irish.

nintendosbitch666 t1_iugiaj3 wrote

I wasnt trying to be offensive or imply it wasnt authentic. He was just a cool boss and i find it funny that sultan's comes up often enough for me to hear about it on a semi regular basis and I have this weird connection lol

yalune t1_iufdbcl wrote

Shocked that a place like this is in Bethlehem! I’ll have to go there next time I see my dad. I remember this location used to be a pretty standard pizza parlor, glad it’s still being put to good use.

brownstone79 t1_iufh3cx wrote

No kidding! My ex is from Bethlehem. I don’t remember much but about the town, but I wouldn’t say that I ever saw an “ethnic” restaurant or shop there.

yalune t1_iufurg1 wrote

Unless you count Greek grinders I suppose.

assbuttshitfuck69 t1_iuh3ve6 wrote

Grew up in Bethlehem. I don’t believe the locals eat there much. They’re more likely to be found at nicks or the pony. But Olivas is awesome.

brownstone79 t1_iuhei0p wrote

Yeah I didn’t eat out much with that family, and they had really only a couple of places they liked to go to—that weren’t in town.

That good to hear about Oliva, though. Their menu looks appetizing.

tobiasrfunke t1_iufesu7 wrote

He does pizza there as well! Standard stuff plus a bunch of more interesting combos.

Poseylady t1_iufpjc8 wrote

Thank you for sharing this! I loved Doc’s so I’ll have to check out Oliva!