Submitted by giant_toad42 t3_yhhoo1 in Connecticut

Looking for great places to eat. Authentic, real Mediterranean food. No Americanization, no "this is too weird, lets use something else." No calling the Yakhni "Braised Lamb Shank". Nah, The real deal. I have no good examples that I can think of.. but, I am trying to find a place where the chef owns their heritage and it shines through their food.

( If Zohara is anywhere in your mind when you read this- the opposite of them. )

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

tobiasrfunke t1_iudv0qu wrote

Oliva, which is now in Bethlehem, is run by a Lebanese chef who trained in Italy. His food is not 100% traditional, but is worth checking out if you like middle eastern flavors. I worked for him for many years and the menu staples are amazing. His restaurant used to be in New Preston. He opened it after running Doc's Trattoria for a number of years.

Sultans in Waterbury is a popular authentic place.

nintendosbitch666 t1_iudz3se wrote

It cracks me up when people say this because my ex boss's daughter owns sultan's with her husband. Now, i dont know the daughter or her husband. But, my ex boss is from Greece (he owns a greek pizza place) and his wife is VERY american.

That being said, ive eaten there before and they were really really good. Absolutely would recommend them.

tobiasrfunke t1_iue00ig wrote

Last time I was there, which was a while ago, the chef was Turkish.

Cockydjinn t1_iufguea wrote

The ethnicity of the cook matters? Man, the last time I went to that irish place, Mc Donald’s I don’t think he was Irish.

nintendosbitch666 t1_iugiaj3 wrote

I wasnt trying to be offensive or imply it wasnt authentic. He was just a cool boss and i find it funny that sultan's comes up often enough for me to hear about it on a semi regular basis and I have this weird connection lol

yalune t1_iufdbcl wrote

Shocked that a place like this is in Bethlehem! I’ll have to go there next time I see my dad. I remember this location used to be a pretty standard pizza parlor, glad it’s still being put to good use.

brownstone79 t1_iufh3cx wrote

No kidding! My ex is from Bethlehem. I don’t remember much but about the town, but I wouldn’t say that I ever saw an “ethnic” restaurant or shop there.

yalune t1_iufurg1 wrote

Unless you count Greek grinders I suppose.

assbuttshitfuck69 t1_iuh3ve6 wrote

Grew up in Bethlehem. I don’t believe the locals eat there much. They’re more likely to be found at nicks or the pony. But Olivas is awesome.

brownstone79 t1_iuhei0p wrote

Yeah I didn’t eat out much with that family, and they had really only a couple of places they liked to go to—that weren’t in town.

That good to hear about Oliva, though. Their menu looks appetizing.

tobiasrfunke t1_iufesu7 wrote

He does pizza there as well! Standard stuff plus a bunch of more interesting combos.

Poseylady t1_iufpjc8 wrote

Thank you for sharing this! I loved Doc’s so I’ll have to check out Oliva!

diadiktyo t1_iudvpzj wrote

Villa of Lebanon in South Windsor is delicious!

Justagreewithme t1_iue1q0k wrote

Second! By any chance, have you tried the place next door? Rasham?

diadiktyo t1_iuei8ze wrote

I have not but thank you for the suggestion :D

half_brain_bill t1_iugbjfe wrote

I used to work across the road and worked with a guy wtused to live in the Middle East doing dangerous stuff and when I took him there for lunch he said the food gave him flashbacks. They make the best hummus and babaganoush. Period.

diadiktyo t1_iugf1va wrote

Agreed! Their ingredients are so fresh and I feel nice & full afterwards.

giant_toad42 OP t1_iueseod wrote

They're really good, but not quite what I'm looking for.

BackBreaker t1_iudxg7w wrote

Mamoun’s in New Haven is what you seek.

marshalltownusa t1_iuf1ajk wrote

Was going to say this but I honestly don’t know if it’s unapologetically authentic. Also I gotta say that the quality there varies WILDLY from visit to visit, for me at least.

sepia5 t1_iug0wvq wrote

I don't understand the love for Mamoun's. I've lived in New Haven for 15 years and have tried it a few times. It's always been terrible. They use ReaLemon, for goodness sake! I don't even like it when I'm drunk! In the New Haven area, the Turkish places in West Haven are solid (Suray and Turkish Kebab House). Too bad Bab Al Salam in Orange closed, it was excellent. One of the cooks there opened Westville Emesa in New Haven. It's not bad for things like shawarma. Avoid Mamoun's! If you want good falafel, drive to Hartford and get one from Tangiers International, and order it spicy.

Relevant_Link_ t1_iuhmmvt wrote

> Tangiers International

When I lived in Hartford that was my go-to spot. It is great. Never ordered it spicy though...might have to drive back through and pick some up next time.

cardinals5 t1_iuioybz wrote

>the Turkish places in West Haven are solid (Suray and Turkish Kebab House).

I will be so happy when the Kebab House reopens. They got me through many a long night at UNH.

stlouisbrowns t1_iudww4k wrote

Larrik t1_iuedr8g wrote

I got the kebabs here and they made all of the ones I’ve ever grilled myself look terrible in comparison.

Everything (all the entrees and apps we got) was cooked to a degree of perfection I didn’t even know was possible.

gliotic t1_iuefky8 wrote

strong agree, this place is excellent

gardener2 t1_iueguok wrote

This place has amazing food. It used to be by the river in Unionville/Farmington but a few years ago they moved to a better location. The chef is outstanding.

bloobears1 t1_iufcauu wrote

Yes! This is the way. Though the meals are a little bit on the pricier side (its a sit down restaurant not a kebab shop) - this is our go to middle eastern restaurant. We always make sure we take any guests to the area to River's Edge. They're always blown away.

giant_toad42 OP t1_iuesmwj wrote

They sinned when I went there.

Canned grape leaves. Thought I wouldn't notice.

Nah, I've been disappointed every time I've been here.

−8

[deleted] t1_iueyxa3 wrote

[deleted]

−2

giant_toad42 OP t1_iuf804p wrote

I'm looking for places to eat. 😏

Bruh, read my post history. I don't run a restaurant. I'm an engineer who likes good food. I pay for experiences, and I would like to experience the food of my dead grandparents, thank you very much.

But, wow, so defensive about river's edge. Do you run the place? Does it piss you off that one person out here isn't impressed? Should I say the mint tea was shitty too?

Anyway, let's pick apart my first experience of grape leaves with them - and what grape leaves mean to me. Here's what grape leaves are, aka, dolma.

Grape leaf Mint Rice Minced lamb Lemon Salt Pepper

I believe thats it.. there may be a little more, but, it's a super simple food. Like, deceptively simple. Now Here's the problem: how many Americans have had fresh grape leaves?

Not many.

So, when I judge a place, I look for cut corners. Grape leaves are a pain in the ass to do right, few people know the difference between shit out of a can and fresh ones - and it's an easy corner to cut.

If the place cuts that simple corner, they cut other corners. Bad place. Rivers edge cuts that corner.

Why is opening a can a cardinal sin? Because I can open my own dam can at home. I don't want to pay for shit I can make at home. I can open my own can. I don't need to pay someone $12 to pull 3 dolma out of a can, put a little olive oil and lebneh on it and sell it to me. That's just dumb.

aly-moon t1_iufc4ic wrote

I love this and yes to experience the things of my dead grandparents and my parents. You explained this perfectly. It is frequent that many do not know the difference between fresh and canned however. And I find that explaining these even to friends. I also don't want to go to eat something I can easily do at home. Thank you. This was explained perfectly! As someone in the architecture and preservation field (also not a restaurant person).

thosmarvin t1_iudyi7l wrote

Just visited Kabap House, a small beating heart in the otherwise quiet necropolis that is the Enfield Mall. Also, restaurants aren’t museums, they are businesses that rely on mass appeal, so try not to hold menu listings against them. A pide by any other name….

Mutts_Merlot t1_iuex6x4 wrote

"Quiet necropolis" is the most accurate possible description of the Enfield Mall.

thenexttimebandit t1_iueonns wrote

Kebab house is really really good. They would probably make more authentic food if you asked for it.

danathecount t1_iudu5zg wrote

‘Nour’ is an awesome Lebanese place in Brookfield Bethel

It’s the kinda of place where they just bring you what they are making that night and don’t care about your order.

https://g.page/nourlebanesecuisne?share Nour Lebanese Cuisine

23 Stony Hill Rd, Bethel, CT 06801 (203) 617-0604

coolducklingcool t1_iue3f9r wrote

This is also right by Royal Mediterranean so OP can try both and decide which is better lol.

missvicky1025 t1_iufgnni wrote

Royal is fantastic. Love their food. Sesame Seed in Danbury is really good too.

bradzilla3k t1_iug1172 wrote

Nour is the real deal.

danathecount t1_iug865q wrote

They've been there for as long as i can remember, but only recently did they name it. There was just a sign that said 'Lebanese Cuisine'

eggheadslut t1_iuggi9m wrote

Omg I second this. They are very very traditional in the way they serve too, where the man orders for the whole table. One time, there were 6 of us and my dad ordered first and the server just walked away and came back with just the 1 thing because traditionally the man orders for everyone and he was done ordering so she thought that 1 thing was for the whole table. It was funny. But the food is SO good

valmian t1_iueaz2i wrote

Laylas falafel is good if you are looking for something quick or to go. It’s a small family run chain, one in Fairfield, Westport, Trumbull and Stamford.

The owners are Lebanese and Palestinian, they take a lot of pride in their food.

If you are looking for food not at a restaurant, check out when St Nicholas is doing a festival, my mom is very active in the church and she says people go crazy making food.

diadiktyo t1_iueiemb wrote

Greek festivals are the real deal! Too bad they’re seasonal.

CatsNSquirrels t1_iufoe27 wrote

Just went there today for the first time actually. Was amazing!

thatgreengent t1_iuesyrw wrote

Seconding Layla’s and just adding that the Stamford location closed a few years ago.

suncg27 t1_iuewj5j wrote

The Layla’s downtown closed. There is still a location I Stamford on High Ridge

liltingly t1_iuhklb9 wrote

I love Laylas! But be forewarned that parking at the High Ridge location can be a pain.

buzzsport t1_iudw7ma wrote

define unapologetic please

Darondo t1_iuef250 wrote

Americanizing the dishes to cater the average patron’s pallete instead of unapologetically sticking to the traditional ingredients and styles.

MangosArentReal t1_iuernl8 wrote

Sticking to original ingredients and styles instead of unapologetically Americanizing them.

eddie964 t1_iueshd1 wrote

Look for towns and cities with decent Middle Eastern/Mediterranean populations and seek out restaurants that cater to them. For example, West Haven has a Turkish population and has at least two very good Turkish restaurants -- Adana and Kebab House. There's also Sultana in Waterbury. There are usually Turkish speaking people at these restaurants. Their menus are Americanized, but I'd be willing to bet they have off-menu specials for their Turkish patrons.

asimplescribe t1_iueos29 wrote

NYC then. There would be no point in opening up what you describe in CT.

−13

giant_toad42 OP t1_iuet1uz wrote

We have a ton of great places opening up serving traditional foods. There are Italian, Indian, Mexican, Peruvian, Chinese - lots of really good places.

Talented chefs serving foods from overseas should be proud of their roots, serve us an experience here at home that is normally reserved for when we are traveling.

I feel this a trend that is starting to take off, and an outstanding trend.

Kraz_I t1_iuf3o33 wrote

I’ve noticed the same thing. I think it’s due to a few major factors. First, more Americans are becoming “foodies” and more adventurous in what they are willing to try. They’re becoming more accustomed to flavors that weren’t part of the American/European palate 50 years ago. So immigrant chefs can stick to what they used to make back home and locals will still go there. Second, there are more and bigger immigrant communities and in more cities. It used to be that Chinatowns, Little Italy and so on we’re only in major cities like San Francisco and NYC, but there are immigrant enclaves in every small city too now, so they have a reliable clientele of others from their home country.

The third major factor is availability of more high quality ingredients. New York style pizza developed because Italian immigrants couldn’t get the same cheese and fresh tomatoes they had back home. So they switched to mass produced low moisture mozzarella instead of fresh, and came up with a new style which was no less delicious and legendary, but still different. Today, nearly any ingredient on Earth can be sourced and either made locally or shipped anywhere in America for a reasonable price. The Syrian restaurant I mentioned has the best hummus and baba ghanoush because they can source tahini from Syria or another Arabic supplier directly, and it’s much higher quality than what you can buy in American grocery stores.

Kraz_I t1_iuemwve wrote

Not in Connecticut, but very nearby in Providence Rhode Island, there’s a place called Aleppo Sweets, started a few years ago by Syrian refugees. It’s not actually a sweet shop, it’s more of a cafe and they do make traditional pastries, but also authentic small dishes and probably the best hummus and baba ghanoush I’ve had in my life (I’ve had a lot of hummus). Their food is simple but everything is 10/10.

giant_toad42 OP t1_iuetiv1 wrote

Holy shit, thanks for sharing. Will need to check it out - these are a true rarity.

Kraz_I t1_iuex0ll wrote

It’s seriously out of this world. I don’t know Syrian food specifically so I can’t tell you what makes it authentic, but it definitely feels authentic and the food and Turkish coffee and baklava is unbelievably good. Look at the Google reviews. There’s people from Aleppo who say it’s the best Syrian food they’ve had outside Aleppo and travelers saying it’s better than anything they could find even in major cities in North America. Even though it’s only a few years old, it’s legendary among locals, but still pretty unknown outside the area. But it’s only about 30 minutes from the CT border. I only know about it because my sister lives in Providence and she took me there in 2019.

If you do go, I’d be curious if you could report back and see how it compares to other middle eastern restaurants in the area.

Edit: also I’ve been to Zohara and the food was good, but I see what you mean about it’s authenticity. Although it’s Israeli and not Arabic. Aleppo sweets is a lot better imo.

aly-moon t1_iufcipr wrote

Can confirm! They are amazing!!

Kraz_I t1_iug81fr wrote

Glad I'm not the only one here who knows about them.

aly-moon t1_iug8qzc wrote

They are related to my cousins husband and son. Im not sure how. I didnt ask. I didnt even know until after being there several times. My father came here from the Mediterranean and it is so hard to find real genuine food. Most food is so quick fix and Americanized. Hard to find things that remind me of what my grandmother made. That smell and taste memory 💙 it brings me back. I only get when I am abroad. It was such a lovely find. My kids and I stumbled on it walking around.

Kraz_I t1_iugqnvh wrote

That’s a lovely story, thanks for sharing!

aly-moon t1_iuh4adc wrote

Thank you for appreciating the real food and stories

nahmatey t1_iudwpde wrote

Tangier’s in West Hartford

kaw027 t1_iue27v6 wrote

Sorry to nitpick but Tangier’s is in Hartford!

nahmatey t1_iue88s3 wrote

It’s right on the line, so I never know which it’s technically in. Fabulous food tho!

kaw027 t1_iuea16r wrote

All good :) it’s definitely a neighborhood favorite

newtonianlaws t1_iueloqb wrote

It’s good, but not as good as Zaytoon’s down the road. Seriously, don’t die before you’ve had their rice dessert.

Inthe713 t1_iueptau wrote

Wasn’t Tangiers a night club back in the day? Maybe Bristol or Wolcott.

keepitupxxx t1_iuf9qj4 wrote

Yes I believe it was but she is correct excellent authentic food. Always eaten there when in the area

Body-Reasonable t1_iue4vv1 wrote

Its name notwithstanding, Tabouli and More is really good. The owner Michael is from Lebanon and loves what he does. There are definitely some americanized things on the menu, but if you give him a call and tell him what you want, he'll definitely prepare things to your palate.

​

Serevan in Amenia, NY is a bit of a drive if you're east of 91, but wow is it beautiful modern Persian food.

​

PS - If you really need to get your fix of muhamarra, makdouz or kuku sabzi and whatever else you need, Paterson NJ is the place for authentic middle eastern food.

Polkhigh99 t1_iueetmo wrote

Bereket. 2 locations in Bridgeport.

oreosandlettuce t1_iufhg5p wrote

Love them. Used to live right down the road from the blackrock one and we’d walk there once a week to get food. Best falafel of anywhere I’ve tried.

pelliosophelus t1_iufoyvx wrote

That’s curious. I love the one on black rock - except for the falafel! They also tend to overcook the meat. But the baba ghanoush is the BOMB as are the aceli ezma (sp?), the pita,the rice and bulgur, and the people.

HartfordResident t1_iuec772 wrote

New Haven/West Haven have several Turkish restaurants that are top notch.

xxhorrorshowxx t1_iuefn0n wrote

Idk if this counts but Saeed’s in New London, total hole in the wall, is an international market that serves food, their falafel is amazing but then again I’m assimilated Romani so I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

newtonianlaws t1_iuelg7n wrote

Zaytoon’s on Park Road in West Hartford. Absolutely a mouth watering experience. Prices are reasonable for the quality you get. The owner’s name is Omar, they are Lebanese. Best people you’d want to see succeed in business. Their kids went to Hall, they are 100% local yet the flavors of their food are pure Middle East. Order the grill sampler and the rice dessert, you can thank me later.

fluffheaaaaad t1_iufnoey wrote

Dude I LOVE zaytoons.

Best kibbeh I’ve found in the state.

giant_toad42 OP t1_iueteba wrote

He's pretty good, and yes, his flavors are definitely pure local. I only wish he had more stuff on the menu.. or rotated one or two really traditional foods for those of us looking for them.

newtonianlaws t1_iugdflg wrote

It’d be worth a shot to suggest a rotating house special. That’s an excellent idea. You tell him, we’ll tell him, everyone tell him and he’d probably do it.

JaKr8 t1_iuh30vg wrote

Great place, but they always seem to be out of a few menu items. But that's forced us out of our comfort zone to try different items so it was fine.

Carnivore_Receptacle t1_iuf77cu wrote

Lazizah bakery in Yantic. Amazing Lebanese food.

alyinct t1_iuicazb wrote

Yes! Owners are Lebanese. I think there were four or five different kinds of baklava last time I went if OP is a baklava fan. https://www.lazizah.net/

Carnivore_Receptacle t1_iukaoit wrote

The owners are very personable. You can find them at the Bozrah and Colchester farmers market during the summer!

HupertCumberdale t1_iug3yju wrote

Can’t believe nobody’s mentioned Shish Kebab House of Afghanistan in West Hartford!

860glass t1_iuejj00 wrote

Tapas in Glastonbury is pretty good

Magicofthemind t1_iudtvkz wrote

There was a post 2-3 days ago about a place in Waterbury I believe.

psu1989 t1_iue90s8 wrote

River's Edge Mediterranean Cuisine Avon, CT

bigtuna732 t1_iuea5vs wrote

Olive tree in Milford is awesome

bent_peepee t1_iuffdnc wrote

all of the mediterranean restaurants i know of are deeply apologetic, sorry.

BMP353 t1_iuhnna2 wrote

Thanks for apologizing. Means a lot.

coolducklingcool t1_iue389v wrote

I don’t know if it will fit the bill but I’ve always liked Kibberia in Danbury. My friend swears by Royal Mediterranean in Bethel.

theesempe t1_iuexmzi wrote

Honey Spot in Devon CT, right off 95. Middle Eastern food - hits hard, so good.

Joey’s Falafel in Cheshire CT. Also Middle Eastern, I believe Lebanese. Also excellent.

Kraz_I t1_iuf56i6 wrote

I live right near Joey’s Falafel and I’ve ordered there several times. They’re located in a gas station and have no seating. That in itself isn’t a problem, but worth noting. Their falafels and Shawarma are acceptable and very cheap, but they are definitely not even close to the best I’ve had. Mamoun’s in New Haven is a lot better, but even theirs isn’t as good as what I’ve made at home. Joey’s has a small menu with just shawarma, falafel, hummus, fries and a few others things, and also hamburgers/hot dogs. Do not get the hamburger. It’s cheap, but it’s worse than McDonald’s.

theesempe t1_iufdqn6 wrote

I live near Joey’s as well. I usually get the falafel wrap or falafel platter with veggies. It satisfies my hunger.

BeerJunky t1_iufe35d wrote

Sultans or Dunya, both on Plank Rd in Waterbury.

uglylittledogboy t1_iug1vwm wrote

No all the middle eastern food I know is extremely apologetic

solomons-marbles t1_iue49mg wrote

I haven’t been since the new owners took over about a year ago, but Rasham Marketplace (the old Cosmos) is well received so far.

jhev1 t1_iuec7wh wrote

Sultans Turkish in Waterbury used to be amazing. I took my wife and mother in law and they said it was the best Turkish food they ever had.

It's been a few years since I've been because we moved to LA, but even out here Sultan's is still the bar I judge all other middle eastern restaurants by.

They used to have a bellly dancer on Saturday nights too.

QueenOfQuok t1_iuez6j7 wrote

Arugula's, in West Hartford

newtonianlaws t1_iugcp9u wrote

When is it open and available for walk-ins?!? Every time I’m in the Center it’s either closed or packed. Been wanting to try it for years but keep ending up at Bar Taco.

QueenOfQuok t1_iugky16 wrote

IDK, haven't been there in a long time. You should probably make a reservation.

tulsi15 t1_iufe2gl wrote

Layla’s is absolutely amazing. Amazing

beaveristired t1_iufg4xt wrote

Have you checked out any of the places in New Haven yet?

fluffheaaaaad t1_iufnw4t wrote

Dunya in Waterbury.

It’s a market and restaurant.

The lamb kebab wrap is the best I’ve had in the State and I’ve tried to find something better.

I’ve written this exact post numerous times in this thread.

If I was on death row my last meal would be a lamb wrap with 6 piece falafel from Dunya.

CaptainKangaroo33 t1_iufx4dl wrote

Bereket in Black Rock Bridgeport.

Fantastic food. Family run.

If you go there, be nice! They were nice to my family during the pandemic.

ramem3 t1_iufzzel wrote

Hanna’s in Danbury and Tabbouleh and More in Brookfield! The owners are Lebanese and the food at both places is authentic and incredible. Also, noujaim bakery in Waterbury makes awesome spinach and meat pies.

AugustPierrot t1_iug2rh4 wrote

Monroe Falafel is fantastic, believe it or not. My advice would be to avoid Layla’s Falafel in Trumbull, they’re known for giving people food poisoning.

RakoNYC t1_iugd96s wrote

Hi -

Iraqi/Israeli here so I have some source credit:

1. Noujaime's in Winsted
  2. River's Edge in Avon
  3. Yosi's in Windsor
  4. Zohara in West Hartford

This is where I go when I am not in the mood to cook for my family myself or have the time (and I don't usually deep-fry so I am rarely making my own felafel)

ethnographyofcringe t1_iugekj2 wrote

There used to be a wonderful little hole in the wall place run by a Syrian family on Orange near Willow in New Haven. ("Ayah-H Market" totally gone now...) Anyone know if they reopened somewhere else after the pandemic?? I went as much for the conversations with the owner as the food (which was authentic and very yummy). Also recommend using da Google, search 'halal food West Haven,' you'll get a lot of lesser-known spots, markets as well as take-out. I think "Makkah Halal Market" on the Post Road may be where a friend of mine told me I could find some legit Egyptian food? Haven't tried it yet.

Abet233 t1_iughjwu wrote

crazy greek in southington

Kimberlymcgill4422 t1_iugk5fh wrote

Lazizah Bakery, Yantic CT. Wow so cute, so delicious a real hidden gem. Daily specials and fantastic Lebanese and middle eastern specialties.

sleepykilljoy t1_iuh78rs wrote

Saray in New Haven. Turkish, of course turkish owned, and the closest thing to Turkey you’ll find in CT.

thug_nificent t1_iuha5t2 wrote

Westville Emesa in new haven. Syrian grilled meats place, very traditional. And just a few doors away from Pistachio, a hipster but genuinely delicious Syrian bakery. The decor is incredible — the owner is a Syrian artist and it shows

LadyVanya26 t1_iuhddu5 wrote

I'm not sure how authentic it is, but The Point on 138 Gyros is pretty good.

It's in Griswold

Snackie_Onassis80 t1_iuhlqqg wrote

Lazizah in the Yantic section of Norwich http://www.lazizah.net/

Also Pick Pockets has great fresh wraps, falafel, fatoush, etc We go to the Route 12 Groton location but they have, I think, 2 other locations

cyainanotherlifebro t1_iuhn46a wrote

There’s a place in Shelton with pretty slow service amd they never apologize for it….is that what you mea ?

ertebolle t1_iui3cwh wrote

Çka Ka Qëllu in Stamford is excellent and authentic if you include Albanian/Kosovar food in that category.

goodfellabrasco t1_iuimc4n wrote

Lazizah's Bakery in Norwich (Yantic, really) is amazing! The owner, Basem, is one of my favorite people on the planet.

jankyperson t1_iufeptc wrote

Mediterranean bistro Main st . The best I ever had

BMP353 t1_iuhnq8f wrote

Main St USA! Palin’s favorite. No seriously, what town is this in?