Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

psyco-the-rapist t1_ixukraz wrote

Great Mike. Now everybody knows.

It is nice to see some positivity about the area. Thanks OP

CTHistory42 OP t1_ixvdy1r wrote

Yes, they do a lot of publicity - and I was taken aback by the fact that I had never heard of it before. Just sharing their desire to get the word out. They love tourists - like to see them come and they like to see them go.

psyco-the-rapist t1_ixwj2eh wrote

I see the Green Valley signs and knew that I lived in it. I had no idea that it was so large and such a unique situation. I grew up here and took it for granted. Did the city life for 18 yrs and moved back. I really enjoy living here now. I also realized what a great place it was to grow up. Not much has changed and I like that. Thanks for sharing this. I enjoyed the podcast.

jbourne0129 t1_ixw4mwa wrote

I saw a sign in the highway for the last green valley and was pumped I now know what it is!

Routine_Ad_5312 t1_ixuddwa wrote

Wow looks pretty green in NWCT as well.

CTHistory42 OP t1_ixveofi wrote

Your point is well taken. NW CT is the other part of CT that is very rural - it's just not as big (or as undeveloped) as the eastern CT portion: 700,000 acres of land, of which 85% is undeveloped - much of it in the same shape as when Native Americans were the only inhabitants.

Boring_Garbage3476 t1_ixwvs3z wrote

The name came from commercial piolots flying into Providence and Boston. It was the only dark strip in the area.

readmeink t1_ixxn8kx wrote

>much of it in the same shape as when Native Americans were the only inhabitants.

That's not true. Aside from the massive clearcutting that happened in the 1800s, Native Americans used fire to shape their landscape all across North America. Early European accounts talk about how the forests had massive trees that had spaces big enough between them that you could drive a wagon through them. Furthermore, there was quite a bit of cultivated nut trees that would be harvested on a regular basis. None of the forested areas in the "Green Valley" live up to these descriptions.

Also, it's important to remember that the rural in the Green Valley is still pretty developed in comparison to many rural spaces out West. Just take a look at Google Maps to see how roads criss cross the entire area, and that most of these roads have lots of homes. The difference is a lack of infrastructure that causes light pollution.

CatSusk t1_ixxohvs wrote

Yes I drove across the country twice and was literally shocked at how much NOTHING there is. But the land in those places also tends to be pretty flat and barren.

readmeink t1_ixxq63z wrote

>But the land in those places also tends to be pretty flat and barren.

Also not true. Anywhere from the Rocky Mountains west through the Basin and Range area and into the Sierra Nevadas has the greatest differences of elevation in the country outside of Alaska. Furthermore, barren is a loaded term. Just because trees aren't thick doesn't mean the area doesn't have significant biodiversity.

−1

CTHistory42 OP t1_ixytwia wrote

I'll take your point on the condition of the forest lands being in the same shape. Perhaps some loose wording there. Simply saying that a lot of the acreage is still untouched by housing/commercial development (85%). And, I was only talking about CT, not out west. But even there, sprawl is crazy. In the 1970s, it took me three hours of driving through barren (but absolutely gorgeous) nothingness along the base of the Rocky Mountains to get from Denver to Colorado Springs. Now, due to housing development, there's only about 15-20 minutes of true untouched nature between them (and that was 10-15 years ago - last time I drove it - could be even worse by now). American land use policy stands in stark contrast to Europe, where communities have concentrated centers and the land around them remains open for nature walks and other such purposes. Having lived in Switzerland for 7 years, my family experienced this regularly. Quite a refreshing difference. Not everybody needing/wanting a 1-2 acre plot of land with a house.

Lietuva2002 t1_ixxl4hd wrote

That’s also a national heritage corridor, it’s the Upper Housatonic I believe.

hamockin t1_ixujimd wrote

The Last Green Valley AND the Connecticut River Valley create this large protected open space region between Nyorkton (the megapolis of New York and Boston). Many folks, working with many organizations, continue this effort. Please support your local land trusts!

G3Saint t1_ixukv2g wrote

Just to clarify this whole area is not open space. There are many land trust parcels Town parcels and State Properties worth visiting though

PsyrusTheGreat t1_ixuskqz wrote

It's one of the nicest things about CT too. I love, hiking and running in our green spaces. Brings me back to life after a rough day.

ZippittyDooBlah t1_ixur1hr wrote

Yep. It’s an important biodiversity island and needs to be treated that way.

[deleted] t1_ixunz7h wrote

[deleted]

Jkay064 t1_ixvd5vs wrote

Yes, the circle missed the heritage area completely.

CTHistory42 OP t1_ixvdqol wrote

I have another map that is actually fuzzier, but a tad more accurate. Message me if you would like to see it. You can learn more about The Last Green Valley on the podcast (https://AmazingTalesCT.Podbean.com).

Jkay064 t1_ixvok3o wrote

Thank you for posting. Just because the circle is in the wrong spot doesn’t mean this isn’t interesting or worthwhile.

rob691369 t1_ixuhrwb wrote

Grew up in that area. Grew up in Pomfret, went to Putnam High...

hikerbiker7 t1_ixuryly wrote

Me too! Brooklyn and then Woodstock Academy 🍁

rob691369 t1_ixw6ukh wrote

Love it! Class of 91. I'm an old fart...

beautifulfatman0 t1_ixucme2 wrote

You circled Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island

CTHistory42 OP t1_ixvexba wrote

I didn't create the circle. It's a copy and paste. But you're right in that the circle is a little broader and more encompassing. That's why the actual cut out of the land area was put in there by the creator of the graphic, to be a little more clear.

muddybrookrambler t1_ixuuft3 wrote

Reading this in Woodstock, CT. The one thing Dems and the GOP agree on out here is preserving open space. Woodstock is still run by the Manure Mafia—plenty of funding to support farmland, as little as possible for schools.

synae t1_ixvtw6k wrote

I hear they also have trouble funding emergency services there too (fire/ems)

Really unfortunate how basic stuff like teaching the next generation and keeping people safe are undervalued.

(This is not just a woodstock/rural CT problem, but that's where I get my experience and info from.)

roborob11 t1_ixunzjg wrote

When I was a kid in the 70’s Eastern Connecticut was as rural as could be. We would ride our bicycles all over, no problem. I’m just saying that these green areas can go fast.

SixToesLeftFoot t1_ixuk1uo wrote

Uh. The Grand Canyon is like 270 miles long. That’s literally almost from the Canadian border to the sound. 1/2 of that would be from the sound to around bellows falls Vermont.

ilovebostoncremedonu t1_ixuqkio wrote

Think he’s talking about area

SixToesLeftFoot t1_ixuqui7 wrote

Well, then he’s even further off. Quick math shows that green to be area to be about 20% of the Grand Canyon. That’s even a worse comparison.

CTHistory42 OP t1_ixve93e wrote

Grand Canyon National Park is 1.2 million acres. The Last Green Valley is 700,000 acres. If I wasn't confined by the number of letters allowed to be typed in the title, I would have completely spelled out Grand Canyon National Park. My apologies.

mynameisnotshamus t1_ixux7lp wrote

What are all of the other large areas of dark like in the north west? The area described is obviously something special but this map is not conveying it to me at all.

boneimplosion t1_ixv3075 wrote

Getting into rural New York, I imagine. Someone should impose the state boundary map over the satellite map so we can get a better sense. Maybe I'll take a stab at that tonight. I'd love to know where light pollution is lowest within this region.

Edit: try this map

mynameisnotshamus t1_ixv6j6e wrote

Thanks in advance if you do. I find this really interesting.

CTHistory42 OP t1_ixvcqkd wrote

The satellite photo was intended to highlight the fact that the area is rural, more so than "dark" at night (the darkest night time skies in CT are in the very NW corner). Please have a listen to the podcast ( https://AmazingTalesCT.Podbean.com ) to learn about the 700,000 acres of land in eastern CT and south-central MA that is 85% undeveloped, some of it nearly the same as when the Native Americans were the only inhabitants. For info on dark skies (including maps), try this site: https://www.darksky.org

mynameisnotshamus t1_ixvuxjo wrote

Thanks. Very much looking forward to listening this week - I only tend to listen while I work and I’ve had some time off. You’re doing a great thing here. Podcast and posts - much appreciated, Thank you!!

marshal1257 t1_ixvp7lq wrote

I live in Putnam and we like this area exactly like it is.

pridkett t1_ixuz4ug wrote

I love how CT has these large green areas. The Last Green Valley and CT River Valley both bring a little bit of rural to an relatively urban state.

Then again, if you live in or close to the Last Green Valley (I’m on the edge of it), it does not feel like Connecticut is a very urban state. Feels very rural and quiet.

riefpirate t1_ixuohqg wrote

Maine has a lot of pristine areas .

gnamyl t1_ixvrjtx wrote

I grew up in this area in CT (Ballouville, near Putnam) and moved away, and 20ish years later moved back and now live on the MA side of the border in this area again. It was a great area to grow up in and I’m happy to be back.

burrlap86 t1_ixxr9x1 wrote

Used to swim at the Ballouville dam when I was a kid.

gnamyl t1_ixyhiz7 wrote

The current owners of the property surrounding the dam and falls put up extensive no trespassing signs many years back and are sticklers for enforcing it. I am not sure when you swam there but I’m guessing quite some time ago?

burrlap86 t1_ixzdymn wrote

Late 80's to early 90's

gnamyl t1_ixzmgv7 wrote

That fits that is when I left CT and went to college and I know those folks had not bought the stone house by that point. The Stone house there technically owns all that property along the 5 mile river and the land right up to the dam and now there’s no trespassing signs everywhere. You can still stand on the bridge and look at the falls and damn but no swimming or going down around to the shore

OooEeeOooAaa678 t1_ixv73dh wrote

So cool! My grandparents live in that region of CT and it's beautiful to drive through in the summer & fall. There's also lots of rolling hills, farms and historic sites. You can see old stone walls all throughout the woods and the nature trails are great. But winters can be tough out there since it's very rural!

Carpentry95 t1_ixw52nh wrote

I live in Killingly CT where the moto is The Last Green Valley, never knew what it referred to until this

Southpaw1202 t1_ixw66wr wrote

Great podcast Mike! Highly recommend. So much interesting info on CT

dirtyMETHOD t1_ixwt71g wrote

Send $$$$$&&&&&&&&$$$$$$$$$$$

STODracula t1_ixwv2rk wrote

"One dark spot"

Looks at Litchfield County and western MA, and it looks way darker and larger. 395 has way more light pollution in that picture than Rt 8. From having driven through most of that western part it's plenty dark and underdeveloped.

CTHistory42 OP t1_ixyt7jl wrote

It's supposed to be the one dark spot along the coastline. Inland sections tend to be darker, more remote and less developed. The point of the 36 CT and MA communities in The Last Green Valley is that it's a National Heritage Corridor with 700k acres, of which 85% remain undeveloped and in pristine condition. If Litchfield County ever decided to move in a similar direction, they would give TLGV a run for its money - although Litchfield County is only 600k acres.

curbthemeplays t1_ixv5unk wrote

NW looks equally dark.

CTHistory42 OP t1_ixvb700 wrote

It's not so much about darkness (if you listen to the podcast on The Last Green Valley) - it's about the rural nature and the preserved open space. NW CT is indeed dark - in fact the very corner where NY and MA touch CT is one of the darkest spots in CT. Please have a listen to the podcast: https://AmazingTalesCT.Podbean.com

Hulkbuster_v2 t1_ixwl1q7 wrote

I remember for a National Parks class at UConn, I proposed turning this area into a national park somehow, kinda like Harper's Ferry

Seniortomox t1_ixwz77c wrote

I thought that was just a barrier to keep the Rhode Islanders from accidentally wondering into anyone.

xj3kx t1_iy08s8k wrote

Just gave a listen, excellent story on something I live right next to and never gave a second thought to.

NirnRootJunkie t1_iy0z6eo wrote

Good place for a gas station and a McDonalds.

0cclumency t1_ixuo82c wrote

I think you might be geographically challenged. The Northwest corner going up into MA is also very dark.

CTHistory42 OP t1_ixvdgrs wrote

Thanks for the comment, but I'm not geographically challenged. The satellite photo was intended to highlight the rural nature of The Last Green Valley, more so than its darkness. There aren't enough letters allowed in the title bar for Reddit, so I was confined in what I could convey. If you listen to the podcast ( https://AmazingTalesCT.Podbean.com ), you can learn more about the 700,000 acres of largely (85%) undeveloped land and all of the benefits it brings CT. To learn more about dark places in CT (including the NW corner), try this site: https://www.darksky.org

0cclumency t1_ixw6aps wrote

Much of the dark spot you have circled is Rhode Island. And there are clearly two distinct dark spots in CT, not one. Idk why I would want to go to the site or listen to the podcast of a person who can’t even write a clear title.

−2

CTHistory42 OP t1_ixwakt4 wrote

I did not draw the circle. It was a copy and paste. You're right that the circle is too broad, in that it covers parts of both eastern CT (The Last Green Valley) and RI. The purpose of the circle was not to pinpoint CT's dark spots - rather, to draw the reader's eye towards The Last Green Valley. The podcast explores TLGV in some detail, with two of its staffers. No need for you to partake in that. Doubt you would enjoy it much from the sounds of things. Happy Thanksgiving.

keepitupxxx t1_ixudkq9 wrote

Thanks for sharing Mike keep it up🤔

−1

sgtswaggycamel t1_ixvw6pw wrote

More like redneck NIMBY ville. Yeah is it green? Sure, but its also underfunded schools, expensive rents, and no jobs . Its glorified green washing

−1

hehehehahahahehehe t1_ixv25g3 wrote

I mean, there's a lot of dark spots. Must be really retarded to think the one circled is the only one that exists.

−6

CTHistory42 OP t1_ixvblru wrote

It's not about darkness - it's about the rural nature and the fact that there are 700,000 acres of largely undeveloped land. It's much like it was when the Native Americans were inhabiting the area. The satellite photo is supposed to highlight the rural nature. The very corner of NW CT is considered about the "darkest" place in CT. Please have a listen to the podcast to hear about The Last Green Valley: https://AmazingTalesCT.Podbean.com