Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ThePresidentsNipples t1_j247klk wrote

It needs to be said old popcorn ceilings can contain asbestos.

usedTP t1_j24r9fn wrote

This is 90's construction so it should be asbestos-free.

wlaugh29 t1_j253r2l wrote

Not necessarily. Asbestos was banned in the late 1980s for sale, but it still could've been used if a contractor had stock. So while your comment can be true, it is not entirely accurate.

ThePresidentsNipples t1_j259mwk wrote

Should be but it's a gamble still

Grippenripp t1_j25qoyt wrote

On July 12, 1989, EPA issued a final rule banning most asbestos-containing products.

I think OP is safe. Regardless I would still wear a mask when I scraped it off just because there is still particulate matter that can cause respiratory irritation. Keeping the ceiling as wet as possible without wetting too much to damage the drywall is important.

Coffeedemon t1_j26dmbt wrote

Banning new production ot outright requiring the destruction of existing stock? They put that shit in everything so there's still a chance it snuck in.

Dr_Wh00ves t1_j28x7x6 wrote

OP should still test it. When I was working doing gut jobs on old houses we found out a lot of popcorn ceilings from the mid to late 90s still contained asbestos. Just because the EPA mandated it doesn't mean people stopped using/buying old stock and using it anyways because it was cheaper/easier. Not worth the risk of future lung cancer IMO, especially when testing is relatively cheap/easy.

Sluisifer t1_j28yirj wrote

And some contractor could be sitting on old stock they want to use up. It makes sense to test well into the 90s.

HotLipsHouIihan t1_j24wihi wrote

I’m looking at a condo in a building from 1976. The entire place has popcorn ceilings. Should I assume the worst?

sheravi t1_j25492v wrote

Probably. Our place is mid 70s as well as there's asbestos in everything.

Grippenripp t1_j25qv7r wrote

YES. Definitely have it checked for asbestos. Almost guarantee it will have it in it. Anything past 1990 is usually safe.

neon_slippers t1_j26eztf wrote

My house was built in 1976. I had my ceilings tested and they came back negative.

ThePresidentsNipples t1_j259duy wrote

Absolutely you should I think somewhere around 85 you can be less vigilant, but even then there was plenty of material left that could still be used either through loopholes or pure contractor bullshittery.

DiabolicallyRandom t1_j25f4yx wrote

Yes. And in cases of uncertainty, it is best to assume that there is asbestos. And in cases of asbestos, it is better to leave in place if the condition is good.

this is why I sealed over top of my asbestos popcorn with several layers of oil primer, and painted once cured. It was in good non-crumbling condition.

series_hybrid t1_j26hshr wrote

So, just to be on the safe side, I should smoke filterless Camels while scraping the popcorn off?

ThePresidentsNipples t1_j27kcn6 wrote

Well now, you're bringing back flashbacks of my late teens....damn I had sexy lungs back then