Submitted by eagleslanding t3_10jkdw2 in DIY

The caulk in my shower running along a 270 degree edge / ledge wore out and needs to be replaced. I tried running silicone caulk along the edge, and it stuck in initially but came out the first time it was cleaned. Is there anything special I should do in terms of approach or materials to successfully caulk this?

Pictured here

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

UpgrayeddSmurphy t1_j5kz5ca wrote

Typically, this isn't an edge that would necessarily need caulking. What should've been done is bring the surface tile flush to the face of (or just proud) the wall tile, so the grout edge is on the flat of the wall, instead of the corner of the transition.

Secondly, an 1/8th on an inch is minimum for a grout edge to bind well, and this looks too thin, which is likely what's giving you problems.

You should remove as much of the grout that's in there, maybe use an angle grinder with a diamond wheel, or dremmel to help widen the gap just a scotche.

Make it clean as possible, and wipe it down with something like mineral spirits. Tape the two outside edges and then caulk it with a good shower n tile caulk (dap 3.0 I like), making sure to "push" it in deep.

The alcohol will help dry it out before the caulking, cuz any water left in there is just going to fail your silicone. Also: it says 2 or 3 hour "shower ready", but I always recommend letting it cure overnight before you get it too wet.

eagleslanding OP t1_j5l0pck wrote

Thank you! This is very helpful and glad to hear that I’m not totally incompetent for having issues here

Teamrocketgang t1_j5mkf0n wrote

Wear a dust mask while grinding the grout! That dust is not good for you

eagleslanding OP t1_j5mpzsj wrote

Thank you! Is N95 sufficient or do I need a respirator?

Teamrocketgang t1_j5mutc5 wrote

A regular dust mask from Lowe's or Home Depot would do the trick, but if you want to spring for a 3M half face respirator you can usually find one that has a combination particulate and vapor filter cartridge. P95 or P100 filters are your friend for anything cementitious you are grinding. Very occasional grinding with a dust mask will not be too bad, but repeated exposure damages your lungs. Just make sure to ventilate the space well and maybe try to use a shop vac to capture the dust as you generate it or even consider using water as you grind to cut down on dust even getting into the atmosphere. A respirator is an easy safeguard though in case you don't want to mess around with all of the other dust control systems. Make sure it's snug on your face though

howard416 t1_j5n90tm wrote

Technically, any mask meant for filtering breathing air is a respirator. N95 is alright, we called for that any time concrete would be cut or drilled dry. But you would need to take care that it's fitted well. If you can't find any regular masks that fit well you might need to go with an elastomeric half-mask or something.

Marine-Tpt92 t1_j5m9enr wrote

I mean, 270 degrees? That’s just 90 degrees with extra steps 🤣

Itisd t1_j5m9sng wrote

You don't. You grout the tiles there.

bouchy73 t1_j5kx46j wrote

The simplest way is to take a piece of rigid cardboard and a straight edge. Cut out the shape of your edge and drag it length wise down the edge.

In your case, apply a little more caulk than you need and you would cut out a 90⁰ section of the cardboard (round the corner a bit) and then start at one wall and work your way to the other. This should deliver the results you are looking for.

Edit: you should look for caulk removal tools as well

imnotsoho t1_j5n1s0t wrote

Cardboard as in the back of a legal pad might be what you want, right.

coldoll514 t1_j5m4sbp wrote

re grout is the way.

alternately, you could clean it out and fill with epoxy. get yourself a grout removal tool, and get as much out as possible. then put tape on each surface, leaving maybe 1/16 from the tile edge for epoxy spillover. you want to overfill just a little bit, and when the epoxy starts to get tacky (but before its fully cured) you peel the tape, and trim up the epoxy overfill with a razor blade to make a nice edge. ezpz

eagleslanding OP t1_j5m8u7h wrote

What is the advantage of grout over caulk here? From what I read you should caulk corners, but I’m a total amateur

CrypticSS t1_j5nan55 wrote

Just fyi you caulk inside corners. Don’t grout inside corners. But an outside corner - as you saw someone explained it should be a butt joint that allows the vertical face to have the grout line there so that the top/horizontal surface is all tile.

coldoll514 t1_j5m9zk4 wrote

grout is theoretically waterproof and rigid, where caulk is waterproof and flexible. the flexibility is because it will go through extreme swelling/shrinking cycles and over time will separate from its surface and eventually fail. grout does not have this problem and is more permanent.

bms42 t1_j5n2w23 wrote

Sorry but this is incorrect on both key points.

First, grout is not waterproof. It doesn't pass water easily but it's not waterproof.

Second, the reason you caulk changes of plane is precisely because caulk is flexible. The two planes will swell and shrink at different rates over time, causing grout to fail. Having said that, grouting a mitered tile assembly around a niche is quite common because the one plane is so small it won't move much.

[deleted] t1_j5numd5 wrote

[removed]

−2

bms42 t1_j5ow5xr wrote

Head on over to /r/tile where the professionals are and explain that grout is waterproof. You'll have some fun.

[deleted] t1_j5pobw5 wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_j5pqnxk wrote

[removed]

taken_name t1_j5mqimy wrote

Grout isn't waterproof, it is porous.

coldoll514 t1_j5nue6x wrote

modern grout is waterproof

taken_name t1_j5nv7mc wrote

Any cement based grout which is the most commonly used grout is not waterproof. Water resistant, but not water proof. Epoxy grout on the other hand is, but it is not as common.

coldoll514 t1_j5o6fmh wrote

i said modern grout, yes? which would all have an epoxy element to them.

also, i said "theoretically” waterproof originally. didn’t think that the minuscule amount of water absorption was material to the conversation.

−1

beardandabaldhead t1_j5n3bhm wrote

The pros would use an akemi epoxy to fill then polish it with a rotary sander / polisher.

Grout will do the job but may pop out after a period of time as it’s a small joint.

To caulk blue tape either side then a very small bead I guess, probably wet finger finish. I’d do grout personally as it’s easy to remove if you mess up.

Elmore420 t1_j5peh7y wrote

Use 3M 5200. If it’s not at your hardware store, check with a Marine Supply or order off Amazon.

notsupermansdad t1_j5kwhui wrote

What about using some peel and stick caulking? If you could find some that wasnt very wide, that may work and look pretty decent.

−3

TeKkNutter t1_j5lhsvb wrote

not sure why you're getting downvoted. I too saw the peel and stick ones and I think they make one that you can fold down the middle to form a corner bead. Is peel-and-stick "caulking" known to be useless trash? Are they known to lose adhesion fairly quick? What if they're properly prepped with alcohol and such? Just curious before I try some out myself...Thanks

notsupermansdad t1_j5liyhr wrote

Thanks, me either. I mean, it's not amazing quality, but it would work in a pinch, especially if OP didnt want to spend a lot of time dicking around with a frustrating situation. Meh. Just a thought.