Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ArtSchnurple t1_j3zj211 wrote

This festival has everything. FEMA tents... lettuce... JA RULE...

loquacious706 t1_j40pu9p wrote

This festival has everything. Gourmet styrofoam, urine mattresses, Hannibal Bacon.

What's Hannibal Bacon?

It's like that thing where pigs on an island develop a taste for human flesh.

OriginalPaperSock t1_j40dm1j wrote

It's this thing where a bunch of influencers all jam themselves into a tent, cover themselves in mayo and chant the lyrics to the entire imagine dragons catalogue.

Vertigofrost t1_j40rj6g wrote

That actually doesn't sound half bad compared to the actual Fyre festival

360walkaway t1_j41lo2z wrote

Didn't they also highly encourage one of the managers (who was gay) to try and seduce one of the promotion people (who was a guy but not gay) so they can could something done?

Richard_Sauce t1_j43w2gd wrote

One of my favorite parts of this documentary...or maybe it was the Hulu one, is that guy telling the story and he went from disbelief to "Ok, guess I'll take one for the team" before lucking out and not having to suck a dick for Fyrefest.

It's a crazy story, and really speaks to how hard many of the organizers were trying to save this disaster.

Thedapperpappy t1_j49z4qu wrote

Stefan, can you tell me about this winter's hottest nightclub?

IdealIdeas t1_j3z7j41 wrote

Another good documentary of the Fyre Festival is by Internet Historian

Loser_1945 t1_j3zrvzv wrote

IH did it better ngl

SSundance t1_j40oqz1 wrote

The IH vid is really just a short YT vid and has pretty low production value compared to the Netflix doc. Despite the Fuck Jerry implications from the Netflix doc.

−1

ThatOneGuyHOTS t1_j41c83r wrote

Internet Historian is kinda mid though. Calling his meme videos documentaries is quite the stretch.

−2

[deleted] t1_j3zo7en wrote

[deleted]

−51

Hakairoku t1_j40aof4 wrote

This is the the type of shit Defunctland was railing about.

Just because IH does it in a comedic manner doesn't mean it was inaccurate. Both his video and his BTS video for Fyre Fest is literally better than OP's.

jubmille2000 t1_j40xw77 wrote

Agree with you but didn't know Defunctland did that. What video was it?

Hakairoku t1_j40y302 wrote

The Disney Channel theme one.

jubmille2000 t1_j40ydp3 wrote

oh they did another disney topic? the FastPass one was great.

ThatOneGuyHOTS t1_j41cfhu wrote

Eh I’ve seen his videos and they are pretty meh quality. He makes up a ton of stuff for comedic affect.

>his videos are literally better

I’d love to see how that’s measured lol

−1

Hakairoku t1_j41dqer wrote

>He makes up a ton of stuff for comedic affect.

The most he does is embellish details, but he never makes stuff up and when he does, he follows it up by clarifying it's a joke. He covers the sources and references in his other channel.

ThatOneGuyHOTS t1_j41emwh wrote

Embellish

• make (a statement or story) more interesting or entertaining by adding extra details, especially ones that are not true.

Your comment - “Just because IH does it in a comedic manner doesn’t mean it was inaccurate.”

Hakairoku t1_j41mqck wrote

Now you're just being an asshole. Literally compare how these two are scripted, if anything, IH had more details attached than the person who's just recounting the story off Wikipedia.

Internet Historian

DNYS

−2

bigman-penguin t1_j416idw wrote

IH puts more effort into is vids than most big budget documentaries. Man in Cave and Cost of Concordia are the best.

ghostmrchicken OP t1_j3yy05g wrote

This was originally released by Netflix. It has to be seen to be believed. So many people, especially the locals were adversely financially impacted by this organizer’s inability to admit failure.

nerowasframed t1_j3zwxrr wrote

This picture was produced by Fuck Jerry Media, which is never disclosed in the film. It downplays the role that Fuck Jerry had in the failed Fyre Festival, and paints the company's actions in a positive light.

kw0711 t1_j40i98v wrote

Hulu produced a competing documentary called Fyre Fraud that was not produced by Fuck Jerry

loquacious706 t1_j40q1mq wrote

They're great companion pieces to each other.

koenigsaurus t1_j415ccs wrote

It was pretty wild that they released pretty much simultaneously, and both have a unique perspective that adds to the story. I watched them back to back while sick at home with the flu and it was a little comforting to watch all these people having a worse time than I was at the time.

nomadicfangirl t1_j41zmxq wrote

Agreed. I feel like Netflix’s talks about where things went wrong from an event planning standpoint, while Hulu’s did it from a cultural standpoint.

Richard_Sauce t1_j43wf8y wrote

Yes! I think are necessary to understand the clusterfuck that was Fyre as they both emphasize different aspects. It's also a good exercise in comparative film study.

undisclosedinsanity t1_j41dz6o wrote

Yeah the Netflix doc seemed to seek to entirely absolve Fuck Jerry in the mess.

The Hulu doc introduces Fuck Jerry's position nicely for the unfamiliar.

vandebay t1_j41kqlz wrote

Who the hell named their company Fuck Jerry? Jerry himself, Jerry’s ex-wife?

hgs25 t1_j41lkxg wrote

It was founded by Rick Sanchez.

ZanzibarColtrains t1_j44x560 wrote

Is Rick dirty by chance?

hgs25 t1_j4507zu wrote

Idk about dirty, but he turned himself into a pickle once. Funniest shit I’ve ever seen.

StuartGotz t1_j3z35wn wrote

So funny to see the reactions of the rich people when they arrive and see the shitty tents they're supposed to sleep in.

oh-hidanny t1_j3zpnzp wrote

Apparently, this is a big misconception.

The first groups to come paid around $200. Which is actually really cheap for a music festival and a place to stay (if it would have worked out).

Svenskensmat t1_j4039og wrote

Similar type of tent package for Tomorrowland costs €1,400. It includes flight tickets (at least in Europe) too though.

As well as an actual festival.

Richard_Sauce t1_j43xchb wrote

Eh, they spent 200 for the ticket, then hundreds more for travel, and who knows how much they put into the cashless currency system.

I don't know that they were rich, but they weren't poor.

−1

oh-hidanny t1_j445hhj wrote

That doesn't make them rich.

People budget, it doesn't make them wealthy to afford a trip for $500. Dirt poor? Probably not. But rich? No. Not based off of $500. Lol.

Edit: and that's a lot of assumptions you made. Lol.

alabasterwilliams t1_j3zi046 wrote

The best part is they knew about sleeping in tents, and some were miffed that they had tents to sleep in.

Like, I understand they were billed as luxury tents, but…a tent is a tent is a tent.

Jpark2485 t1_j3zya07 wrote

But… according to most documentary evidence, tents, luxury or not, were not all set up and created a free for all in securing your domicile. That’s the whole point of how fucked up things became. Lord of the flies type shit.

Caveman108 t1_j442u37 wrote

I’ve done glamping at a music fest before and those tents get pretty fancy. Most are very spacious geodesic domes, have very comfortable beds, chargers, side tables, and usually are in a separate area with premium food and drink vendors.

Enshakushanna t1_j3znumw wrote

some tickets were going for only 1000 dollars bro, its not just rich people like the stupid memes wouild like you to believe...

_aaine_ t1_j407yf9 wrote

I've watched this doco a couple of times now and it's still just jaw dropping.
The level of self belief this guy has is....admirable?
He's like the poster child for a generation raised on participation trophies and told they can do anything if they just try hard enough, regardless of talent or natural ability.

DirtyRoller t1_j409ay0 wrote

All I can think of watching this doc is how much he reminds me of my brother, who is in prison.

[deleted] t1_j3zo5w7 wrote

[deleted]

LaRone33 t1_j41yaet wrote

On a Hunch, the Battle at the Isle of MAy might also be something you would find entertaining.

WikiSummarizerBot t1_j41ycac wrote

Battle of May Island

>The Battle of May Island is the name given to the series of accidents that occurred during Operation E.C.1 in 1918. Named after the Isle of May, a nearby island in the Firth of Forth, the "battle" consisted of a disastrous series of accidents amongst Royal Navy vessels on their way from Rosyth, Scotland, to fleet exercises in the North Sea. On the misty night of 31 January–1 February 1918, five collisions occurred between eight ships. Two K-class submarines were lost and three other submarines and a light cruiser were damaged.

^([ )^(F.A.Q)^( | )^(Opt Out)^( | )^(Opt Out Of Subreddit)^( | )^(GitHub)^( ] Downvote to remove | v1.5)

[deleted] t1_j42vh19 wrote

[deleted]

−17

Mazcal t1_j45w43m wrote

Oh man, what a weird thing to get butthurt about and what a misunderstanding of the meaning of “promotion.”

History isn’t an Etsy shop.

adsq93 t1_j43x60u wrote

Same here, is as if the dude wanted to do this intentionally as an art performance or sum.

Mackheath1 t1_j3zld4y wrote

This totally reminds me of 720 Productions in Pawnee, Indiana.

cnslt t1_j41cdzu wrote

I’ve seen this scene at least a dozen times, and something just occurred to me for the first time while watching just now.

Jean Ralphio: “Ben, is that your real name? Oh you can do better than that, let me help you out…”

The actor for Jean Ralphio is Ben Schwartz lol

Spyes23 t1_j3zzg6u wrote

I think it's bullshit that Ja Rule got off without even a slap on the wrist.

Android-Zero t1_j41bg9j wrote

He was a 'victim'.....

I'm just kidding he has money and lawyers, don't be naive...

*I'm speaking generally, not directly to the above comment.

Spyes23 t1_j41umtf wrote

I'm not though? I didn't say "I don't understand why", I just think it's bullshit. I know how things work, it still upsets me.

Android-Zero t1_j43ryab wrote

Yeah, that came out wrong. My apologies. He seriously lawyered up though and claimed he was scammed, while being well documented of indulging with the dickbag promoter and reaping benefits of a vacation.

rocketmanx t1_j3zped7 wrote

Overly ambitious? Or just a grifter?

Girth_rulez t1_j46k39p wrote

Grifter. They never paid the artists, so there was basically no chance there would be music at their "festival". This documentary spends precious little time talking about it.

The organizers breathlessly talking about how they were balls to the wall trying to get the site finished glossed over the fact that they must have known that the artists were not coming. The only reason they kept up this pretense was so they could grift those kids into loading up their prepaid accounts.

Michael424242 t1_j3zcpmu wrote

I work on music festivals for a living. I’ve never watched it, just can’t. I’ve been at shows that (had they not been in the continental US) would have been this bad. It’s not fun.

chiefyuls t1_j40burk wrote

I work in music festivals as well. I’d still recommend watching. They had so many opportunities to not fuck up, but they made many terrible, selfish choices. Great cautionary tale

Michael424242 t1_j419bix wrote

Yaaaa, I was at TomorrowWorld ‘15. I’ve lived my cautionary tail.

Sinandomeng t1_j41dly6 wrote

Were you part of the organizing team or did you go as a customer?

Michael424242 t1_j41e498 wrote

I was a I wouldn’t call myself an “organizer”, I was a freelance contract hire for the festival, I only worked days were patrons where on site. I was the overnight host in the highest price point VIP camping zone.

chiefyuls t1_j41lepz wrote

Oh wow. Sounds like quite an experience. I would definitely watch that documentary

nomadicfangirl t1_j4200em wrote

I plan events for my job. My co-worker (who had my job before she got promoted) told me to watch the Woodstock ‘99 doc. Talk about the stuff that nightmares are made of…

Soggy-Juggernaut-569 t1_j3z5mie wrote

Was it considered a rock festival?

Niar666 t1_j3znp0r wrote

I only heard it described as a 'music festival', and I don't think any of the music groups that were supposed to attend that I heard about were rock bands.

ChrisMelb t1_j3ztpif wrote

EDM & MCs / Hip Hop ... I can see one rock act on the lineup :

Quoting the ever reliable wikipedia :

The final advertised lineup was for 33 artists, including Pusha T, Tyga, Desiigner, Blink-182, Major Lazer, Disclosure, Migos, Rae Sremmurd, Kaytranada, Lil Yachty, Matoma, Klingande, Skepta, Claptone, Le Youth, Tensnake, Blond:ish, and Lee Burridge. Archive.org lineup

In the days leading up to the festival, all of the aforementioned acts pulled out, with Major Lazer never confirming their attendance despite being advertised

_aaine_ t1_j4081tj wrote

lol not really it was an Instagram festival.

LegendEater t1_j41utyt wrote

Yeah it was barely even a music festival, nevermind a specific genre.

TotallyNotMarkHarmon t1_j3zbowo wrote

Hulu’s doc that was released around the same time is very good too

dlkslink t1_j408thc wrote

Netflix one had access to more behind the scenes footage but clearly had certain biases, toward fuck Jerry and Vice media. The Hulu one didn’t let fuck Jerry off the hook and interviewed a multitude of journalists instead of just one Journalist that works Vice news. The intro to the Hulu documentary is the absolute best. Watching both gives a full picture.

Mxjman t1_j49rz1i wrote

Totally agree. Both is a better overview. Both are entertaining. Watch both

insane__knight t1_j3zjqcb wrote

Honestly I thought that one was a little better.

TotallyNotMarkHarmon t1_j4123js wrote

I think I have to agree, especially since it’s the only one that got to interview Billy

insane__knight t1_j43xn03 wrote

I thought the purpose of Billy being there was to set the record straight and provide some kind of clarity on what happened from the higher ups. But Billy being Billy didn't do any of that, giving obviously false answers or refusing to answer certain questions. If his goal was to clear his name, he failed miserably and this played out in the producers favour.

bentstrider83 t1_j41p1vp wrote

Saw the Netflix one when it first came out and thought it was good. But with all the talk about this "Fuck Jerry", I now have to buckle in for the Hulu take!!!

[deleted] t1_j3zodti wrote

[deleted]

−4

bannana t1_j4049r8 wrote

did a quick skim of this one and it looks pretty shit IMO

−17

kw0711 t1_j40ih3i wrote

The Netflix one was produced by Fuck Jerry Media - who also helped promote fyre festival and enabled them. These details are left out of the Netflix one but not the Hulu one

theAlmondcake t1_j3zqn0i wrote

Entrepreneur is a funny way of spelling scammer

thetrickypickle t1_j3zlp0b wrote

Me and my wife watched this one on netflix and then the one Hulu came out with right after. I’d recommend watching both, you get some different footage and interviews.

ditzy091313 t1_j3z3vam wrote

This was a good documentary... covered everything

End-OfAn-Era t1_j3zg9fd wrote

Even the guy who was going to suck dick for water?

NoFeetSmell t1_j3zpfmk wrote

That guy should be considered a goddamn legend imho. He was willing to choke down a hot load so that people wouldn't suffer from dehydration or worse. That dude was beyond willing to help throw a party/avert a total disaster, and he's alright in my book, no doubt. I really hope he landed on his feet after the shitshow that Fyre turned out to be.

Nyghtshayde t1_j400ggs wrote

Job interview "So tell me about a time you went above and beyond to provide good customer service.." That dude: "Well this one time I was helping run a music festival, and..."

NoFeetSmell t1_j402jj3 wrote

Lol, that's amazing. I can just imagine him getting that question and starting his reply with, or at least thinking, "well you obviously haven't seen the Frye festival documentary, and that's a good thing". Seriously though, he wasn't the hero they deserved, but the hero they needed.

openwheelr t1_j41hfhz wrote

As I recall he had deep experience organizing events of this type. He knew it was going to implode but chose to stay on and do what he could to avert a worse disaster.

NoFeetSmell t1_j42nqvq wrote

Exactly. Guy's a fucking hero. I know it's kind of a funny story, but that's a pretty goddamn selfless offer, especially to help out a bunch of strangers.

ceruleanmoon7 t1_j41s9jp wrote

Love him. I was going to just post a picture of him but the sub doesn’t allow pics 😤

tehpwarp t1_j42oqnd wrote

This conman and fraudster, Billy McFarland was convicted of fraud and sentenced to 6 years. He served 4 years and was released in March 2022. He is currently keeping a low profile, but there are execs and inventors lining up to meet him to seek his marketing talents.

Something is definitely wrong in this world if people languish in prison for half their lifetimes for just possessing a few grams of weed, but people like these defraud others of millions of dollars but only get 4 years in prison. And then find other fraudsters trying to kiss their ass when they are released.

And the other conman, Ja Rule got away.

h2man t1_j40k89p wrote

If there’s one thing I’d like the ability to unsee is this documentary… I’d love to be able to see it for the first time again. It was… hilarious.

spaceraingame t1_j401qbv wrote

The guy was recently released from prison and even started a new venture called “Pirate.” So yeah that should end well.

einat162 t1_j40ie0g wrote

I wasn't familiar with this website ! (I've already seen Fyre, but this site has so much to offer).

Thanks.

ghostmrchicken OP t1_j40mo6i wrote

I was hoping someone would comment about that. As it stands there’s no way to post entire sites that have docs on this sub.

fajen1 t1_j41y2d7 wrote

I love this documentary, I watch it anytime I'm feeling sad to be poor. Watching the rich kids fight over wet mattresses is *chef's kiss*.

demidenks t1_j3zpr65 wrote

I love this movie. I could watch it over and over.

edgiepower t1_j40qvu8 wrote

THIS WAS NOT A ROCK FESTIVAL

I mean seriously, wtf

Luke90210 t1_j404gic wrote

Honest Question: How does one determine if a new music festival/concert is legit?

sAindustrian t1_j40cb46 wrote

A general rule for life: If it seems too good to be true, then it probably isn't going to survive contact with reality.

But in most cases look into who's organizing the event and how "ambitious" the event is. Check their history and track record to check if they have a history on delivering good events.

vlkr t1_j40emue wrote

Rock festival?

tagoean t1_j40z3q4 wrote

Saying entrepreneur is a bit much. Incapable scammers aren’t entrepreneur. Hell even capable scammers aren’t entrepreneurs.

reptillion t1_j40z6pf wrote

Oren was also involved in the scandal itself. Who was the designer. While he claims he was the whistle blower he posted photos and videos of him on yatchs with the founders while the debacle was going on. He later removed these posts and any record

Aeronaut4 t1_j417opj wrote

Ive seen this like 3 times. Something about the story is really intoxicating.

bad_card t1_j41fiih wrote

Do these businesses not get money up front? I install irrigation systems and require 50 percent down in case they won't pay the rest, at least I'm not using MY money for the material. Some have no one to blame but themselves.

_Bike_seat_sniffer t1_j41latg wrote

this was the funniest shit, I remember those bologna sandwiches in styrofoam boxes

TravellingBeard t1_j42erob wrote

"Take one for the team" will forever have a specific connotation to me, no matter how it is used in the future.

Lisa-LongBeach t1_j432vhl wrote

I watch it every year — it’s too good!

amadeupidentity t1_j3zglmy wrote

I bet he winds up in gop leadership some day, great potential in that kid!

NaiveMastermind t1_j3zv2xu wrote

Years later, it's still fun to think of all those trust fund kids getting fucked out of a perfectly good weekend.

ditzy091313 t1_j4061yz wrote

Hmm forgot that part... saw it when it first came out on Netflix...

Must see it again lol

khumbutu t1_j40jkwd wrote

Someone should make a documentary about all the documentaries this spawned.

TheFifthAlert t1_j41zy0n wrote

Look at the guy who runs Blue Ridge Fest lol

CanadianMuaxo t1_j43lj4q wrote

Ja Rule pulled the same shit at a 90s nostalgia concert in Vaughn I went to about 2 years ago. He’s a pos scammer. Ashanti, Ludacris, Kardinal Offishall and Karl Wolf managed to put on a damn good show though.

five_eight t1_j4arb3o wrote

Documentary has too many pauses/delays. Maybe my laptop is jacked. I couldn't get past five minutes which took a half hour.

McNasty420 t1_j4auno5 wrote

These self important "influencers" that thought they were getting an all expense paid vacation, complete with personal private jet is the funniest part.

xhyzBOSS t1_j40sm7h wrote

For how often people wanna milk the fyre festival topic ? I think the YoutubeVideo by InternetHistorian pretty much covered the whole topic

ThatOneGuyHOTS t1_j41cp7u wrote

Internet Historian is the king of milking. My god his fanboys are obsessed.

your_fathers_beard t1_j43nfv4 wrote

"Entrepreneur" lmao. The bar for that word is so low.

jjvolfan2 t1_j44ao2e wrote

I always enjoy watching douchebags with more money than brains get screwed. Influencers bahahahahaaaaaaa

poonter5000 t1_j462ddf wrote

……“Rock” festival