Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

chuckziss t1_j222wen wrote

Talk about misleading title… even in your summary comment, you state that the quantum computer (QC) didn’t actually reveal any new information.

No actual breakthrough was made, and it’s a bunch of hot air suggesting that the QC could have potentially helped. I get that there is hype around this stuff, but we have to stop sensationalising headlines

TheUmgawa t1_j226c0v wrote

I feel like you should have closed this with, "Boo that man! Booooo!!!" and then slap that downvote button.

chuckziss t1_j226h3j wrote

Perhaps I was a bit harsh haha. It’s still an interesting article, and I find the use interesting, but the title was a bit of a stretch

CantRememberPass10 t1_j2401s2 wrote

No this post is trash - it’s like all the articles talking about carbon capture as going to save us when the problem is… stop creation. Reduce reuse recycle but the BIGGEST PART is the REDUCE….

cyphersaint t1_j24pb8u wrote

Carbon capture is going to be a necessity. We're simply NOT going to completely stop creation, and we're not likely to get it down to the point where the environment isn't being negatively impacted. Furthermore, zero carbon simply isn't enough. Not with the length of time that carbon stays in the atmosphere.

imafraidofmuricans t1_j2513j5 wrote

In that case, we are doomed.

−4

cyphersaint t1_j253sxg wrote

Why? Just because it's really expensive to scale up right now doesn't mean it's going to remain that way.

TiredPanda69 t1_j24uo3n wrote

In short

This subreddit is trash

I honestly don't know why I'm still here i thought i unsubscribed a while ago after reading about some other breakthrough technology that is definitely here and real but doesnt exist yet

itsmeyour t1_j22gjrl wrote

What type of things can QC do currently? Looking for an answer but getting tons of ad sites can't even find a solid statement

chuckziss t1_j22hzvv wrote

The three NISQ (Noisy Intermediate Scale Quantum) applications that are promising are VQE (Variational Quantum Eigensolver), QAOA (Quantum Approximate Optimisation Algorithms), and QML (Quantum Machine Learning).

VQE is probably what Ford tried to use here, and it calculates the ground state energy of a molecule. Even using many QCs in parallel gives mediocre results for VQE when compared to super computers.

QAOA can be used for optimisation problems that are difficult for classical computers. We really don’t have enough qubits to out compete super computers, but there are some fun novel experiments you can design in matrix completion, or supply chain optimisation.

QML is honestly a joke. It’s just a tradition ML model with one quantum layer. I can go into more detail, but it’s quite underwhelming in the end.

The bottom line is that there really isn’t a good current application of QC. All of the above algorithms are out-competed by a decent classical computer.

I’ll gladly throw some sources your way if you’re interested in learning more.

itsmeyour t1_j22iihb wrote

Oh man, if its not too much work for you. Already I feel like you helped me understand the layout of the land. I think I remember for a while the basic "can we entangle and hold" was the mission. Very much appreciate you

chuckziss t1_j22jb9p wrote

I’m not sure about that quote, but my interpretation is that the mission is to store information in qubits for longer.

This is still largely true - current devices are bad at keeping information, and often you get qubit “decoherence” (decay/loss of information) such that you can no longer do anything useful with the information.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2111.14940 - talks about VQA which comprise VQE and QAOA. This paper does computing with many devices at once. It demonstrates things well, but the end result is still solving a trivial problem.

https://community.qiskit.org/textbook/ch-machine-learning/machine-learning-qiskit-pytorch.html - all the qiskit tutorials are great if you want hands on learning, but this just demonstrates the state of the art in combining classical and quantum machine learning. The end result is just an MNIST model… which is very doable with classical computing on its own.

I’ll leave it there, but happy to continue the conversation.

CoolEnemy t1_j22jksd wrote

Yo i would really the the sources if you can

chuckziss t1_j22jou2 wrote

I replied in another comment - happy to add more specific sources if you want

ArcticCelt t1_j23f0kg wrote

>No actual breakthrough was made, and it’s a bunch of hot air suggesting that the QC could have potentially helped.

It's like for me to declare that "I browse reddit to find the motivation to do my chores and daily tasks and be more efficient."

It doesn't work at all but I still do it.

jam3s2001 t1_j2420f1 wrote

Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

flompwillow t1_j22d6sh wrote

I can’t wait for their result to get printed out….42.

Diablojota t1_j23y0vr wrote

But what’s the question? We will need to build another super computer to find out what the question is.

wagner56 t1_j22nqzw wrote

>While the results don’t reveal anything new about lithium-ion batteries, they demonstrate how more powerful quantum computers could be used to accurately simulate complex chemical reactions in the future.

So Ford didnt use ... to find ... ???????

More it being plans for future attempts at progress.

ffigeman t1_j24kl0j wrote

Used it, didn't succeed

−1

byerss t1_j24prkg wrote

“Used to find” implies that something was found.

If someone said “I used an AirTag to find my dog” you would assume the dog was found, otherwise you didn’t find it. You searched for it.

ffigeman t1_j24qvkm wrote

You're right it sounded funnier in my head.

peteythefool t1_j24fvc3 wrote

So this means invented FTL travel that one time I emptied half a lighter into a water bottle with a little hole in the cap and light it on fire and the bottle flew across the table like a rocket and hit one of my mates in the face?

Cuz that's exactly what I was trying to do, so someone owes me a Nobel Prize!

−2

bremidon t1_j2385jt wrote

>While the results don’t reveal anything new about lithium-ion batteries

*sigh*

Substantial_Act_1995 t1_j24m147 wrote

This sub has gone absolutely dog shit recently. Years ago it was actually good and not fear driven propaganda or bullshit like this,

DrLoaky t1_j24qe0w wrote

All the mainstream subs are full of power tripping mods and bad articles... This article is in essence completely pointless for this sub.

formerlyanonymous_ t1_j22apq1 wrote

Title made it sound like they hooked up ChatGBT to a quantum computer.

icebeat t1_j22enwc wrote

Maybe they should use the computer to fix the shit show with the car dealers

Z3R0FA1TH t1_j240apy wrote

will the computer find that children are mining the toxic cobalt used for their batteries and being used as slaves?

LiCHtsLiCH t1_j24oxel wrote

I always find these headlines interesting. Last I checked "Quantum" computers don't exist, and the only way they could work in theory is at... absolute zero, just like cold fusion. Not even the issue I have really. Here is quantum computing fundamentals, in theory, at absolute zero.

A regular computer runs on switches, on or off, 2 positions. Originaly thats why they took up whole rooms, each one or zero was a literal glass tube. Well a quantum computer, fundamentally isn't a single position switch and if you were to think of it in terms of glass tubes, they could be accurately represented with fluid filled flasks, and the amount of fluid is it's position or state, so one flask could have ALOT of positions. So you could get alot more information per unit space than just binary (relating the position of one, to another) so they could be ALOT faster.

That's more or less the fundamentals of it. Here is my big problem with "using" them. What programming language did you use, poly position programming (non binary if you will) doesn't exist, and we don't even have a functional chip to develop one. Yet somehow, a car company, is cross referencing molecular interchanges of elements to research better ways of making batteries... on the side, with their quantum computer (that doesn't work) and a programming language nobody has even thought about building. Seems a bit sus, but it is popular science, they mix in sci-fi more than randomly and it does add entertainment value, I'm prolly just taking quantum computing wayy too seriously, lol.

Zeke_Z t1_j24xl7s wrote

"Ford used quantum computing to quantumly identify the quantum multiphase power compression of current exotic form quantum semi-fermion quantum nano-paradoxical entities by using quantum entanglement to sublimate quantum ultra induction particles for new quantum battery chemistry.......quantum." -Ford trying to be relevant.

Ford is just testing marketing gimmicks on its audience. Absolutely nothing to see here.

FuturologyBot t1_j223i35 wrote

The following submission statement was provided by /u/upyoars:

> Quantum researchers at Ford have just published a new preprint study that modeled crucial electric vehicle (EV) battery materials using a quantum computer. While the results don’t reveal anything new about lithium-ion batteries, they demonstrate how more powerful quantum computers could be used to accurately simulate complex chemical reactions in the future.

> Developing materials using computers has a huge advantage: the researchers don’t have to perform every possible experiment physically which can be incredibly time consuming. Tools like AI and machine learning have been able to speed up the research process for developing novel materials, but quantum computing offers the potential to make it even faster. For EVs, finding better materials could lead to longer lasting, faster charging, more powerful batteries.

> Traditional computers use binary bits—which can be a zero or a one—to perform all their calculations. While they are capable of incredible things, there are some problems like highly accurate molecular modeling that they just don’t have the power to handle—and because of the kinds of calculations involved, possibly never will.

> Instead of regular bits, quantum computers use qubits that can be a zero, a one, or both at the same time. Qubits can also be entangled, rotated, and manipulated in other wild quantum ways to carry more information. This gives them the power to solve problems that are intractable with traditional computers—including accurately modeling molecular reactions. Plus, molecules are quantum by nature, and therefore map more accurately onto qubits, which are represented as waveforms.

Please reply to OP's comment here: https://old.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/zxs6b8/ford_used_a_quantum_computer_to_find_better_ev/j21z3sn/

FIicker7 t1_j23pex4 wrote

Wouldn't a neural net be more productive?

Wouldn't a neural net be more productive?

Like a lot more?

MatterDeFact t1_j23rl3n wrote

Ford uses pool of manatees to find better EV battery materials

Aggressive_Bug93 t1_j246za3 wrote

This seems like pr to combat the recently revealed slave labor used in cobalt mining in the Congo that all battery’s company’s are complicit in covering upgifgif

Scizmz t1_j26twd9 wrote

>that all battery’s company’s are complicit in covering up

There are some companies that don't deal with chemistries that use cobalt. Your claim, like the article, is trying too hard.

NateinOregon t1_j24ggfu wrote

Why don’t they use the same technology to design a line of vehicles that blows everyone away? Could have sworn that Farley was just talking about the quality of their vehicles. And it was not great.

upyoars OP t1_j24sr8x wrote

Probably because even if AI designs something amazing, manufacturing that complex design and executing on it could be exceedingly difficult. Researching material compositions for batteries is something that’s probably much easier to execute manufacturing on.

throw-away-deez t1_j259e4b wrote

No they didn't.

(Posting this before I read the article. I will edit this comment after I have read it.)

Edit: Welp, second sentence:

>While the results don’t reveal anything new about lithium-ion batteries, they demonstrate how more powerful quantum computers could be used to accurately simulate complex chemical reactions in the future.

It's easy for a throwaway like me to hate. On the other hand, I have a cursory interest in quantum computing (I like listening to podcasts, occasionally read blogs like Shtetl-Optimized, and try to stay up to date somewhat?) and it's cool to see different applications in the wild that are novel. Even if but a modicum of progress.

A rule-of-thumb for any basically any quantum news is that, if it were true as the title suggests, you'd be hearing about it everywhere. It would be leading in every publication.

Logantus t1_j2601ir wrote

Yeah the title is just a complete lie. It should say “potential for finding new materials”

Scizmz t1_j26tbqv wrote

As with almost everything I see posted on this sub, this is all hype and no substance. Even the description of quantum computing is pulled from a fking sci-fi book instead of reality.

Sierra419 t1_j23yw11 wrote

Typical Ford. Not saying this just because I was laid off recently, but this company is so far up their own butt it wouldn’t surprise me if they wrote this article themselves.

MadRoboticist t1_j24pluf wrote

Ford didn't claim anything like the title implies. Ford researchers published a paper on their work and the article author just chose to use a flashy untrue title.

gbchrome t1_j24344q wrote

Yep. Bought a Ford 5 years ago & I regret it. Wish I had bought a Toyota. One brand allows self driving via comma ai & one doesn’t.

−1

upyoars OP t1_j21z3sn wrote

> Quantum researchers at Ford have just published a new preprint study that modeled crucial electric vehicle (EV) battery materials using a quantum computer. While the results don’t reveal anything new about lithium-ion batteries, they demonstrate how more powerful quantum computers could be used to accurately simulate complex chemical reactions in the future.

> Developing materials using computers has a huge advantage: the researchers don’t have to perform every possible experiment physically which can be incredibly time consuming. Tools like AI and machine learning have been able to speed up the research process for developing novel materials, but quantum computing offers the potential to make it even faster. For EVs, finding better materials could lead to longer lasting, faster charging, more powerful batteries.

> Traditional computers use binary bits—which can be a zero or a one—to perform all their calculations. While they are capable of incredible things, there are some problems like highly accurate molecular modeling that they just don’t have the power to handle—and because of the kinds of calculations involved, possibly never will.

> Instead of regular bits, quantum computers use qubits that can be a zero, a one, or both at the same time. Qubits can also be entangled, rotated, and manipulated in other wild quantum ways to carry more information. This gives them the power to solve problems that are intractable with traditional computers—including accurately modeling molecular reactions. Plus, molecules are quantum by nature, and therefore map more accurately onto qubits, which are represented as waveforms.

−18

sold_snek t1_j22g2yy wrote

That's a lot of words to say nothing at all.

Scizmz t1_j26tpfw wrote

Please stop linking garbage. This is trash. The title is a lie, there is no substance to the article. It even describes several things incorrectly.