Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BucksFan654 t1_j0r0q44 wrote

Europe and the U.S could do everything in their power to go green. And China and India alone would make up the difference. They do not care.

Kryosite t1_j0s4vay wrote

It's not so much that China doesn't care as that China doesn't have a ton of options. They have no real oil or natural gas reserves worth speaking of as far as I know, and while they are investing in renewables at an impressive rate, their population is just so damn big, and rising in power consumption so damn fast, that they need to use whatever power they can find, or they risk rolling blackouts, so they use coal, because it's what they have.

Additionally, while China has excellent locations to build solar and hydro-electric power, those spots are generally in the north and west of the country, while the population that requires most of that power is on the southeastern coast, so transmission poses a major challenge, which they're attempting to solve by more or less just building enormous high-voltage lines all the way across the country, which leads to a lot of power loss on the way and is enormously expensive to do, given just how much China there is to cross.

That said, China isn't purely a victim of circumstance here, the bureaucratic and legal structure of the province-level electrical grids does lead to some wildly inefficient incentives when it comes to buying energy from another province, iirc.

So, yeah, it's not that China just doesn't give a shit about green energy, it's more that they are in the middle of a genuine energy crisis and desperately need fuel to keep the lights on. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of things you can criticize the PRC for, they get up to all kind of deeply nasty shit, but this issue in particular seems like they really are stuck between a rock and a hard place rather than just apathetic.

Human_Anybody7743 t1_j0tenkh wrote

> which leads to a lot of power loss on the way

HVDC is expensive, but not that lossy. Crossing China the losses are still dominated by the interconnect.

pihb666 t1_j0txunx wrote

If there wasn't 1 billion people there they wouldn't be burning all that coal. Seems to me they could have done something.

−3

Eokokok t1_j0udygn wrote

This comment is so out of touch with reality it hurts...

pihb666 t1_j0uf18u wrote

Is there not over 1 billion people in both China and India? If there weren't that any people in those places, would they still need to burn all that coal? Please tell me how any of that isn't realistic?

−5

Eokokok t1_j0ugobd wrote

If you propose depopulation there is a start for that...

If you cannot even be bothered to read up on one child policy and while it failed miserably we are back at insanely stupid comment part.

pihb666 t1_j0v02ob wrote

Where have I made a proposal? I don't recall making any proposals. I don't care how the Chinese and India have gotten to the point they are at with their population but that is a them problem. Why should the world enable them to have way too many people? Is it "insanely stupid" to conclude that 1 billion people are going to consume more coal than 100 million people? I don't think so.

−3

Eokokok t1_j0v0e8l wrote

They have too many people? By metric of the amount of whine on Reddit maybe? Or what actual metric you use here, really interested in that.

pihb666 t1_j0v19kp wrote

The world is dying because there are too many people on it. Both China and India have over a billion people. The next most populous nation has 330 million. That is almost 3 times as many people. That is my metric. The world needs less people. Logic says you start with the 2 countries with over a billion people.

Lets_All_Love_Lain t1_j0vkr2n wrote

Why not start with the country that pollutes the most per capita? Killing an American does far more to "save the planet" than killing an Indian or Chinese person does.

pihb666 t1_j0vl71v wrote

I would invite you to come and try.

Lets_All_Love_Lain t1_j0vm86v wrote

Bro you okay? Do you normally take statements of fact as personal threats?

pihb666 t1_j0vokjj wrote

Yeah I'm fine. While you did make a statement of fact you also included a threat of killing Americans. Hope you aren't here in the States. The FBI takes a dim view of foreign people making terrorist threats. I can see you have a problem with the US. Can you tell us where the bad American touched you? Do you need a stuffed animal to hug your pain away?

Lets_All_Love_Lain t1_j0vp29k wrote

Imagine implying that Chinese & Indian people should be killed then getting butthurt when someone points out it would be more productive to kill Americans if you wanted to reduce waste. Good thing it's winter, snowflakes like you melt outside in the summer.

pihb666 t1_j0vq390 wrote

Where did I imply about killing anyone? Please show me where I advocated for the death of anyone?

Lets_All_Love_Lain t1_j0vq75p wrote

>The world is dying because there are too many people on it. Both China and India have over a billion people. The next most populous nation has 330 million. That is almost 3 times as many people. That is my metric. The world needs less people. Logic says you start with the 2 countries with over a billion people.

pihb666 t1_j0vqm27 wrote

You can copy and paste. Good for you. Where in that paragraph did I say anything about killing anyone?

Lets_All_Love_Lain t1_j0vqsjw wrote

>The world is dying because there are too many people on it. Both China and India have over a billion people. The next most populous nation has 330 million. That is almost 3 times as many people. That is my metric. The world needs less people. Logic says you start with the 2 countries with over a billion people.
>
>
>
>Where did I imply about killing anyone?

pihb666 t1_j0vrmeh wrote

Your attempt at being a Captain Save-a-hoe is commendable but flawed. I never mentioned violence as a solution to our overpopulation problem. Those are your words, not mine. Your whole premise is based off your flawed assumptions and assumptions do not make good debate. Maybe you should have joined the debate team in high school. It would have served you well.

Lets_All_Love_Lain t1_j0vs0nn wrote

>
>Where did I imply about killing anyone?

aint_that_right t1_j176i8v wrote

Hey man, just an outside observer. I think I speak for about 90% of the population when I say this, you made an absolute fool of yourself in these comments and any intelligent person who read this can feel the stupidity oozing out of your comments. You probably know you’re not the smartest guy, but DAMN you really went off.

Kryosite t1_j0w3koo wrote

To be clear, are you proposing the slaughter of millions of civilians? How would you plan on carrying this out?

pihb666 t1_j0wea16 wrote

No. I wouldn't carry any plan like that out.

Kryosite t1_j0weqn5 wrote

So you're saying that "we need fewer humans", but apparently China, who put legal limits on the number of children you were able to have, weren't doing enough. Aside from mass murder or sterilization, how could it be possible to produce a world with substantially fewer humans?

Kryosite t1_j0w392g wrote

They did! China famously had a one child policy to reduce population growth, which led to a demographic crisis

DrJuanZoidberg t1_j0t7xe5 wrote

The ideal locations for green energy being “too far away” is a terrible excuse considering places like Quebec get over 90% of their energy needs through renoua les and all the big dams are out in the middle of nowhere in the subarctic. You pay a bunch of guys to build the dam things, route the pylons and cables back to the population centres and build a town there for the workers who do shifts of 2 weeks on - 2 weeks off. If a place with only 8 million people can do it, it should be a piece of cake for China considering they seem to have a enough workers to build entire empty cities and skyscrapers for fun just to tear it down again

−5

Kryosite t1_j0tdtar wrote

I'm not sure you understand the sheer scale of China.

Having more people doesn't mean your energy needs are easier to fulfill, it means you need more energy, and you can't just build more dams, because you're limited by your rivers. Quebec has 8 million people, Guangdong Province has 126 million. The biggest dam in China, The Three Gorges dam, is literally an order of magnitude larger than the largest dam in Quebec, the Daniel-Johnson Dam (at 27.2 million cubic meters to the DJD's 2.2 million). On top of that, the distances they need to build and maintain transmission cables across are more like if you had to use transport that power from Quebec to Vancouver, not from an isolated part of Quebec to the rest of Quebec.

Also, if we're comparing the provinces most reliant on renewables, Tibet derives 97% of its energy from renewables, more than Quebec.

China isn't magic, and it isn't evil for evil's sake, and it isn't deeply mysterious in its motivations, it's a major nation-state pursuing all the things major nation-states do, it's just very very big.

DrJuanZoidberg t1_j0ucvqt wrote

I understand the scale difference, I was being pedantic about the point raised that “while China has excellent locations to build solar and hydro-power, those spots are generally in the north and west” and therefore far from the population centres.

Of course China’s energy needs are massive and it will take time to meet them, but presenting long distance between power sources and population centres as a hurdle is ridiculous considering my example with Quebec (which gets 95% of its energy through hydro alone and the rest through wind). Obviously the real hurdle is the sheer scale of what needs to be built since it will take long no matter how many workers you send to those far flung regions, but if it’s still a viable option.

I also never said anything about China being evil. I complimented their capacity to build things considering they have a knack to build skyscrapers and cities figuratively overnight to the point where their speed outruns demand leading to empty skyscrapers.

If anything, I believe in China’s capabilities to completely switch to green more than you

Taolan13 t1_j0r25st wrote

Yep. A lot of people blame USA for the Great Pacific Garbage Patch but they are only partially correct.

"Single stream waste management" was huge in the USA for years, throw all your trash and recycling together and the service sorts it for you at their processing facilities.

Processing facilities in the USA got overwhelmed, ao they subcontracted to ship containers of unsorted trash to facilities in India and China and Mexico, using the return leg of cargo ships to get things overseas.

When the processing facilities in India and China got overwhelmed, they just dumped it into the sea.

clampie t1_j0rsymn wrote

I've never heard anyone blame the USA for the so-called garbage patch.

MasterTacticianAlba t1_j0ths7u wrote

That sounds biased as hell.

Western countries exploit the fuck out of SEA countries.

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/02/22/return-to-sender-sri-lanka-ships-tonnes-of-illegal-waste-back-to-the-uk

They offshore recycling and trash storage to these weak nations with under-equipped recycling and storage and then send them literal hundreds of tonnes of shit that can’t be recycled or stored… where does it go? Into the ocean. Suddenly those hundreds of tonnes of British waste are now attributed to Sri Lanka.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/01/20/asia/malaysia-plastic-waste-return-scli-intl/index.html

Malaysia sending back 100’s of containers full of trash labeled as recyclables from countries like United States, United Kingdom, France and Canada.

clampie t1_j0uoehk wrote

Can you show me a photo of this garbage patch?

disisdashiz t1_j0s1p4x wrote

Usa is usually the nu.ber one carbon producer I see. Though thats usually from stuff made in China. So it's weird. Cause they count the location of end stage of production

mtj004 t1_j0s1wb8 wrote

Well. I had to watch something in school, about how it is the US fault, because they just ship their problems to other countries, without the necessary infrastructure to deal with it.

Though I do think a real big problem lies with the manafacturers. They make recycling hard as fuck, with ysing all kinds of miterails together that, that are hard to sort from eachother. Also many countries don't have the necessary infrastructure to deal with garbage, so they just throw it in the ocean, and since things like plastic degrade very slowly, they accumulate and create thebbig garbage patch.

Si3rr4 t1_j0s2fyc wrote

What do you mean by so-called? Is it not a patch of garbage?

Kryosite t1_j0s45nn wrote

I've never heard anyone blame a specific country at all, although if that is true, it sounds like the US is largely the source of the trash, so maybe it's just that I live in America so I don't hear the rest of the world blaming us.

lughnasadh OP t1_j0rl43b wrote

>>They do not care.

That doesn't seem a correct way to characterize the situation.

China gets almost 45% of electricity from renewables, which is double what the EU or US does.

Furthermore, not only are they building all their own solar capacity, they are building most of the rest of the world's too, and account for 80% of global production.

Looked at that way, it might be fairer to say its Europe and America that "doesn't care".

Heap_Good_Firewater t1_j0roi94 wrote

Electricity isn’t used to create steel, glass and cement. In the 5 years after the 2008 financial crisis, China used more cement than the US has used in all of history.

Much of this construction was directed toward speculative properties that will never be lived in.

China doesn’t give a fuck.

disisdashiz t1_j0s27th wrote

It's more how it's run. So local communist party leaders bid for large projects to a government that needs to spend money or face the massive amount of debt piling up. They get these. Which pushes them higher up in the politics. Also gets them and all their friends a bunch of bribe money. It was also to get all the farmers and country folk to leave the countryside. Which happened. But not as much as they hoped.

Glodraph t1_j0rxv5m wrote

Yep..all fake buildings like the ones demolished when evergrande went bankrupt

−10

Kryosite t1_j0s5hhw wrote

Not fake buildings, the buildings are mostly real houses, it's just a colossal real estate bubble, possibly the largest in history. Due to the volatility of the Chinese stock market, real estate is seen as the most common personal investment, as it is less likely to lose its value by crossing the Party. (Empty houses are really good at not pissing people off.)

clampie t1_j0rt2b7 wrote

Don't believe China's numbers.

Anyhow, electricity isn't the only thing that needs energy.

−6

clampie t1_j0rsw38 wrote

Everything you buy is produced in China. Where do you think they get the energy to produce it? If you close down the factory near you and move it to China, how is that green?

It's a shell game.

Kryosite t1_j0s7nbi wrote

Actually, a lot of the things you would traditionally think of as "made in China" aren't made there anymore. They've made an effort to pivot their economy more towards high-added-value manufacturing, like electronics, and away from labor-intensive low-cost bulk goods like clothing and little plastic knickknacks. Most of the cheap stuff moved to various parts of Southeast Asia.

Also, what reason do you have to believe that China is not investing in renewables? They're an emerging superpower with minimal fossil fuel reserves, reliant on international shipping to keep the lights on. They want to be energy-independent so they don't need to worry about starving of electricity if the US were to blockade the South China Sea from the string of naval bases it has on allied islands, or their oil pipelines from the Middle East getting sabotaged.

Additionally, the numbers they report aren't actually all that impressive for what they've built. Chinese hydroelectric dams have pretty low levels of efficiency, and they've displaced literal millions of people to build them, and done some pretty brutal damage to local ecosystems in the process.

That doesn't sound like some sort of attempt at winning good-boy points in hopes that it'll make NATO like you, it sounds like a major nation-state attempting to secure energy independence by any means necessary, which is very common in geopolitics.

clampie t1_j0rullf wrote

Don't trust that data.

China was building a lot of steel and cement for themselves. But that's over.

On top of producing everything consumed by the world. They still have to do that. That's where the emissions are from.

Where do you think your plastic hose comes from? From the plastic mine?

−2

mhornberger t1_j0rv5c0 wrote

I trust data over gut feeling. "Don't trust the data, trust my intuition" isn't a great argument. China is still building housing, electric cars, and all kinds of things.

>Where do you think your plastic hose comes from? From the plastic mine?

Are you pretending that anyone said that China doesn't export anything? China does export things. But they also have a huge domestic market. Cement and steel are not the entirety of their emissions. They also have a middle class, and more people with money to buy stuff.

clampie t1_j0rveox wrote

You trust Chinese data. That says it all. lol

−5

disisdashiz t1_j0s2o1w wrote

I thought they are caught in the wild on the ho island.

JustWhatAmI t1_j0r7vvp wrote

Upshot: renewables are getting cheaper and cheaper. The major driving factor is cost

disisdashiz t1_j0s1vcf wrote

Pff. I got solar. My bills about the same as it was before and I got 6k from uncle Sam. And im.pretty sure the power company will be cutting me a check. It's a 30% tax credit right now. And it'll only become more and more cheaper in co.parison to renting you're electricity from a private monopoly.

WattsianLives t1_j0siq0k wrote

China and India DO care. They just don't want their populations to suffer because their economies aren't as advanced as ours. Many Western countries got there "first," polluted the crap out of the world, and these countries are operating on the same substandard fuel sources we gleefully used in our development phase. Don't playa hate.

SigherPunk t1_j0svxnt wrote

Not surprised to see a blatantly racist comment like this so upvoted. Why would India and China not care? You think only white people have the capacity to care about the environment?

India and China aren't using coal for laughs and gags, they are using it because not using it would mean plunging 100s of millions of people into darkness. Of course, I don't think you really give a shit about the people in India/China.

If the West really cared then they should provide the capital and technology so that the developing countries can switch faster.

pete_68 t1_j0rsrk5 wrote

The US produces twice as much CO2 as India, despite having only 1/4 of it's population and per capita, we produce twice as much CO2 as China.

But by all means, blame China and India if it makes you feel better.

GenuineSteak t1_j0s9ini wrote

The US and Britain both consumed massive amounts of coal when industrializing and developing, now other countries that are developing now arent allowed to do the same apparently. Its unfair to develop your country first then look down on all the countries developing now.

Not to mention that America produces far more pollution per capita. You are comparing countries that have wildly different populations.

Kapparzo t1_j0txg27 wrote

They do not care? Explain the numbers seen in china’s green energy sector.

silver_shield_95 t1_j0vdqla wrote

Never read a more stupid comment, both of them care far more than US where climate change is still a debateable affair.

US hasn't done much at all, it's coal has been replaced with easily available Gas, an option not available to China or India.

IronSavage3 t1_j0r9xjk wrote

More than 2,000 people die every day due to coal smoke.

dontpet t1_j0r3mau wrote

The report says... >From 2022 to 2025, global electricity demand is forecast to grow 2.8% annually on average, or by an absolute of ~2 496 TWh. Renewable energy will provide the majority share of additional demand at 90%. The remaining gap of ~83 TWh will be covered by coal- and gas-fired power generation. The largest increases in coal burn are forecast for China (+5%), India (+7%) and Southeast Asia (+14%). Meanwhile, coal-fired power generation will continue to contract in the United States (-18%) while a return to a declining trajectory is expected for the European Union (-29%).

IEA consistently underestimates renewable growth. If history is any guide this report should be saying quite the opposite. That we have likely hit peak coal and fossil fuel consumption this year and that renewables are the champion that is doing this.

Edit: I expect this op report doesn't include these upgraded expectations. https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-ieas-renewables-forecast-grows-76-in-two-years-after-largest-ever-revision/

Heap_Good_Firewater t1_j0ro19p wrote

I read somewhere that electricity only accounts for around 30% of all energy usage. I hope this is outdated or a misunderstanding on my part. Can’t seem to find confirmation.

dontpet t1_j0s9e7g wrote

A mitigating factor when you consider energy instead of power is that somewhere between 30 and 50% of energy in most cases is expelled as waste heat. Those thermal power plants and vehicle transport energy cases shouldn't be compared one to one with renewables.

TerrestrialJoe t1_j0tfu52 wrote

In a lot of countries the waste heat is used for district heating. Raising the system efficiency to 80-90%.

disisdashiz t1_j0s2x8d wrote

It's better to fear monger. People are stupid and lazy. If we say the world's gonna burn. Which it will. People will do something about it. If we say it's all fine and dandy assholes will feel they're entitled.to pollute without care again.

pihb666 t1_j0txogl wrote

People have been saying the world is going to burn since the 90's. Hasn't really made a big difference.

AnkalaevWillBeTop5 t1_j0vnjhd wrote

This. If anything, there is just burnout on this and people hear it and roll their eyes and move on.

Salt-Artichoke5347 t1_j0ra1u8 wrote

thanks environmentalists for causing this with your anti nuclear cheering

JustWhatAmI t1_j0rb61a wrote

It's more like the fossil fuel industry lobbying like crazy. Environmentalists certainly have their sway but nothing talks like giant piles of money

Salt-Artichoke5347 t1_j0ro4q1 wrote

you mean who the environmentalists take money from because they hate nuclear to.

Environmentalists is what did in germany not oil and gas money Environmentalists is what smashed it into peoples minds the sierra club kinda assholes. Environmentalists working with oil and gas is why the governments support solar and wind which are garbage

JustWhatAmI t1_j0ryb3a wrote

>you mean who the environmentalists take money from because they hate nuclear to.

Lobbyists give money to politicians, not activists. Follow the money

>Environmentalists working with oil and gas

You're joking, right?

Jamie1897 t1_j0sf51h wrote

Yes! I was just talking about this earlier. Natural gas utilities are bankrolling a massive anti-nuclear propaganda campaign in media.

arckeid t1_j0u0g2c wrote

Can't wait for all the bullshit that are gonna be said when fusion is a thing.

Quazz t1_j0u4brv wrote

Ironically, coal causes more radiation per energy unit than a nuclear power plant

disisdashiz t1_j0s37f3 wrote

We got fusion. Let's go for that. And nuclear is a high risk high reward system. "They won't fail without human error" And they're run by humans so they're gonna fail. A coal plant fails and the local is smelly and burned up but everyone not near the blast is pretty much fine.

A nuclear plant explodes and that entire area around it is dead for the rest of humanities days. It's not worth the risk.

−9

Salt-Artichoke5347 t1_j0sch97 wrote

modern nuclear plants cant explode. you are uneducated on this topic.

Coal plants kill over a million people a year

disisdashiz t1_j0t3mn2 wrote

I swear I've heard that same thing said before. That they are impossible to explode. Three separate times from three separate countries. All of whom said the same thing in the last 100 years. Thankfully there is a 33% chance that the area isn't contaminated for 10,000 years.

Not exploding is only true when humans don't fuck shit up. No one is lazy. No one is greedy or corrupt. I've read a couple other stories of shit getting close to blowing up or causing a leak. I honestly wonder how many have fucked up and nobody was told. Then you've got the waste. Which, can you honestly tell me? You trust every government with a plant to dispose of properly for the next 10,000 years. I certainly don't. Fuck NK has hydro ones. I bet they dispose of it by feeding it to their cave prisoners.

−1

Jamie1897 t1_j0sffe4 wrote

We don't have fusion. Even if it is viable, it won't be commercialized for decades. Nuclear fission is the lowest risk energy technology, period. It is the safest energy technology in existence.

disisdashiz t1_j0t2yns wrote

When it runs right yes. I wish it'd actually work. It sounds wonderful. Especially with the new processes that pretty much use every speck of fuel. But so far it'd fucked up twice. And been close many times. And in my country. Most are well past their due date for reconstruction. Right now. There are much better ways. Personally I like a intercontinental hyperloop that has those new super efficient massive wires running with it with solar, wind and hydro power all along it. Combine it with solar water purifiers and pumps on the oceans to create new water batteries along routes needed. Would be able to provide clean fresh water for the inside of the continent while the central part of the continent provides all the power. Could cut our military budget and pay for it within a few decades in time for fusion to supplement the rest.

Maybe fission as an interim instead of more coal or gas burners. But nothing more than that. Radiation doesn't go away. It's to risky no matter what people say. It'd fucked up twice. That's a pattern.

dystropy t1_j0ra2zv wrote

On the bright side almost all of China's coal plants are ultra-supercritical, they emit way less and way more efficient than all coal plants in US, a comparison of modern coal plants to the ones used by the US built 40 years ago which are mostly sub-critical(which is the majority in US) is not a fair comparison.

Futuroptimist t1_j0rf5x5 wrote

Thats nice, but how does this help when they still emitt more CO2 than last year and the year before?

Sawovsky t1_j0y4bfl wrote

And the US emitts double the amount per capita compared to China.

[deleted] t1_j0sa6iu wrote

Europe:

Turn off nuclear reactors. Never built new reactors. .. Gets addicted to gas from a dictator. Gets f*cked over. .. Now has energy crisis. Buy their gas elsewhere for twice the price. .. Restarts coal plants. Proceeds to burn more coal while promoting green energy.

mr78rpm t1_j0t54er wrote

Please clarify.

A careful reading of the thread title reveals that in the single year 2022, humanity used an amount of coal greater that in all of human history.

I'm betting you mean "an amount of coal greater than in any other single year of human history."

Be careful what you write: words have meanings and meanings have power.

Five minutes after I wrote the above, I ran across this lead sentence from another thread: TIL that under Writers Guild of America rules the phrases "written by", "story by", "screen story by" and "screenplay by" all have different, and precise, meanings.

Then, three minutes later, I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/MaliciousCompliance/comments/zpf90y/where_are_the_spoons/

As I said, words are important!

lughnasadh OP t1_j0qwcl7 wrote

Submission Statement

Some of the facts and figures in this report are truly staggering - "In the 2022-2025 period, we expect China’s renewable power generation to increase by almost 1,000 TWh, equivalent to the total power generation of Japan today." - yet as China is growing so fast, that is only going to put a small dent in its coal use.

If there is any silver lining its that the IEA has previously said that relatively small tweaks in government policies on financial backing and planning could accelerate renewables adoption by a further 25%.

disisdashiz t1_j0s3ga6 wrote

If the usa just stopped giving away tons of subsidy money to Fossil fuels and didn't tax them I know my cou try would go renewable within a decade. It would be soo quick and easy and wouldn't cost taxpayers anymore taxes.

Snogafrog t1_j0sp4s3 wrote

Reminder to self - I gotta stop buying crap I don't need.

larman14 t1_j0t2stg wrote

First world countries need to introduce a green tariff on cheap goods arriving from these countries. If it violates trade agreements, say it’s for national security. The world doesn’t need never ending consumption. Our Canadian government bans single use straws but dollar stores pump out millions more plastic tons of stupid party supplies and “glitter everything”

antrky t1_j0tq4uh wrote

In fact the world does need never ending consumption. Well not the world, but our economic system which dominates the world we live on.

larman14 t1_j0ucz83 wrote

Sure. Never ending growth is absolutely necessary for the economic system to avoid a crash.

The world, and everyone living in it will eventually come to a halt because the micro plastics and PFAS coarsing through our veins causing all sorts of medical conditions, the collapse of insect populations causing massive food shortages, mass migration causing collapse of urban housing and incredible amounts of homelessness. I’m in my mid life, but I probably won’t see these issues at their worst, but they are all happening now and it’s just the beginning.

DrankTooMuchMead t1_j0shaqk wrote

Population always goes up. We just hit 8 billion people.

In 1900, the era that we think of when we think of coal, there was only 1.6 billion people.

FuturologyBot t1_j0r1s66 wrote

The following submission statement was provided by /u/lughnasadh:

Submission Statement

Some of the facts and figures in this report are truly staggering - "In the 2022-2025 period, we expect China’s renewable power generation to increase by almost 1,000 TWh, equivalent to the total power generation of Japan today." - yet as China is growing so fast, that is only going to put a small dent in its coal use.

If there is any silver lining its that the IEA has previously said that relatively small tweaks in government policies on financial backing and planning could accelerate renewables adoption by a further 25%.

Please reply to OP's comment here: https://old.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/zp5tn5/the_iea_says_humanity_used_the_greatest_amount_of/j0qwcl7/

BigBadMur t1_j0s088g wrote

We're never going to get climate change under control if these rates of consumption continue or, more likely, will increase. We're China and India part of that big COP27 world conference on climate change?

Ok-Heat1513 t1_j0svfjh wrote

Blame Australia and the bitch that runs the main coal company responsible. The world should put sanctions on the bastards

Transforlove t1_j0tsr4f wrote

Lol! That 1.2% from Australia is sooo bad... idiot

−2

YsoL8 t1_j0tsb54 wrote

We desperately need to prove out these pilot carbon capture plants.

Fantastic_Ask t1_j0ujqc8 wrote

Compressed biomass is taking the place of coal in many places now so that’s something 🤷🏻‍♂️

Miserable_Site_850 t1_j0rhcq1 wrote

Joe Manchin must feel like he popped sidenafil after reading those stats

[deleted] t1_j0tgst3 wrote

I really feel like this global pandemic has sent humanity into a fuck-it mode the likes of which we have never seen

PapaCousCous t1_j0s7kqu wrote

At some point, the negative consequences of burning coal at increasing levels have to outweigh the benefits, right? I've never been to India, but I can't imagine the air quality in the cities is all that breathable.

−1

Jamie1897 t1_j0sh106 wrote

Many of the impoverished people now gaining access to electricity previously cooked their food by burning wood and animal dung inside the dwelling, causing millions of air pollution deaths. For them, coal-fired electricity generation may be a significant improvement in their health. Also, a lot of the air pollution in India comes from the open burning of rice stubble.

No_Effort152 t1_j0vwygp wrote

Why are china and India exempt from carbon emissions reduction measures?

−2

wadewad t1_j0rgnt2 wrote

good, spread these news on weibo or some other shit

−4