Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

morerobotsplease t1_j5wr78w wrote

A lot of places have a designated area where licensed taxis must wait in line to pick up passengers. If you want a taxi, you go to the area and go to the taxi at the front of the line.

PeteyMax t1_j5wzm8z wrote

I think it's the price tag he's objecting to, not the taxi stand!

yirzmstrebor t1_j5x0mf9 wrote

Pretty sure it's the fact that dollars are American currency, but "queue" isn't commonly used in American English. We don't believe in putting that many silent letters in a word.

lysalnan t1_j5xl86x wrote

Dollars aren’t just American lots of countries use dollars to name their currency.

other_usernames_gone t1_j5xx622 wrote

Wait, what do you use? You must have the concept of a queue right? It would explain a lot of you didn't but there's no way.

Edit: forgot about line

Fire-Tigeris t1_j5zn935 wrote

queue is the letter Q in long line with a bunch of silent letters.

Mag-NL t1_j5xptd8 wrote

Dollars are not American.currency only though it's used in many places. More importantly nobody said dollar in the joke, they used the symbol $. This symbol does not mean dollar exclusively (let alone US dollar) but is used for other currencies as well.

ben9187 t1_j5ymxqv wrote

Maybe it was in canada? We use queue and $.

Evil_Creamsicle t1_j5z93e3 wrote

nah, if it was Canada then when the taxi driver cut the guy off he'd have yelled "Soory!" out the window

Evil_Creamsicle t1_j5z9awr wrote

I think its not the fact that these exist, but more what words are being used to describe them, that is being commented on.

morerobotsplease t1_j5zb0t2 wrote

Ah, I see. I didn't think exact location was important for the joke to be funny so my mind went another direction.

Evil_Creamsicle t1_j5zdyni wrote

nah, you're right, it isn't. I didn't really think about it either.