Br00klynShadow t1_jecao67 wrote

Damn, fr unplugged the life support

SnowMantra t1_jecbqyd wrote

Nah.

Flip the breaker.

Br00klynShadow t1_jecbuen wrote

Nah, go outside and destroy the meters

TheBrightNights t1_jecmqau wrote

Amateur. Just go blow up the distribution network.

Koda_20 t1_jecnyzr wrote

Simply peel back the electromagnetic field

Nawnp t1_jedwv0h wrote

EMP pulse your neighborhood, it might do the job.

Koda_20 t1_jee7bhk wrote

Might want to just make a hole in space-time to be sure you know?

Robot1me t1_jeccqc9 wrote

>I just hit the PSU switch.

This is very bad for your hard drives by the way. Holding the power button instead gives the motherboard a chance to signal the hard drives, for them to park themselves correctly.

Cindexxx t1_jeh3qrk wrote

I don't have HDDs in my desktop. Just the server for backups, and it doesn't get turned off.

looncraz t1_jeefakn wrote

My Linux based PCs shut down so fast there's not enough time for that.

Holding the power button to power off takes 4 seconds, Linux shuts down in about 2.5 seconds, with the rare time when a stop task has to run longer.

Bootup of the kernel is under 0.5 seconds, to the login in 3 seconds (most of that time waiting for the screen resolution to switch), from login to a fully loaded system is above 1.5 seconds.

Windows is just slow and terrible, as it always has been.

−8

Apocrophon589 t1_jeekuno wrote

Linux users try not to mention that they use Linux during any single microsecond of their life challenge (IMPOSSIBLE) 🤯😱🤯😱

Advanced-Blackberry t1_jeejhc9 wrote

Get with the times. It’s less than 10sec to login from cold boot in windows. The extra few seconds doenst matter.

looncraz t1_jeeju0t wrote

Windows starts to login quickly, it's slow after that, and shutting down is generally much slower.

−2

therealnai249 t1_jefuuy9 wrote

Who cares if it takes 2.5 seconds or 10 seconds to shut down. I’m literally done using it lol

looncraz t1_jeg18yr wrote

Sometimes you're just restarting, sometimes you need to disconnect power... those are times when it matters.

The longest time between each system with Windows forced updates is also WAY beyond a few seconds in difference, well into many minutes.

therealnai249 t1_jeg3jx0 wrote

If I need to restart I just press the restart button on my case and that turns it off instantly and starts the restart (not sure if that’s even a good thing).

And also, I simply can’t help but feel you’re grasping at straws. No one’s life is impacted That much by a 4 second difference in restart times you goober.

I agree with the updates they can’t definitely take a few minutes which is absolutely miserable.

looncraz t1_jeg5yd7 wrote

The reset button is not a safe way to restart, so I hope you're joking.

The shutdown speed is simply a comparison point between two products, shorter is better.

therealnai249 t1_jeget00 wrote

It’s worked for about 8 years so far 😆

Also you give off the most Linux 🤓 vibes I’ve ever seen lol

M0dini t1_jec0f31 wrote

Where's the escape button on my PS4 controller?

Gee858eeG t1_jebxck2 wrote

Does that actually work????!!

jammer2omega t1_jed8viq wrote

Not sure... ESC is a key on your keyboard... You can't really "click" it...

[deleted] t1_jedwn9m wrote

[deleted]

Eknoom t1_jeekubr wrote

Gen x (1979) grew up as computers were evolving. Pre PnP hardware, where you had to use dip switches. Worked IT in the late 90s through until about 2005.

The lack of any technical troubleshooting, inquisitive nature, problem solving in the youth today is gobsmacking

TheDrMonocle t1_jeelbe5 wrote

Basically, yeah. The gen z and younger grew up with technology that was already developed and generally didn't need troubleshooting to get to work. The age of apps. You click, and it goes. If it doesn't, there's nothing you can really do about it. Where millennials grew up during the transition into the current technology we have. We had to learn on the more basic setups and make sure things were configured properly. We had to learn by necessity.

EuropeanTrainMan t1_jedqc93 wrote

You shouldn't cancel a restart because your system will be half dead with missing subsystems. What you must be doing is restarting regularly

maggotses t1_jec2y09 wrote

Only if something is blocking the reboot. If nothing is in the wait of being stopped, you are done. Not sure why it's such a big deal though... I mean you can press the power button before the reboot to power down the computer. Or hit shutdown on the login screen before logging in. And BTW, you don't "click" ESC, you hit it, it's on your keyboard...

FutureTeam7693 t1_jeb75g6 wrote

If you plan on giving pro tips maybe specify the operating system as well professor...

EuropeanTrainMan t1_jedqe80 wrote

This isn't a pro tip. It's a tip to set your machine to bad state.

Jesse_Thinkman t1_jec5ux6 wrote

Finally some wise human! Where were you all my life?

Tallen122 t1_jecmthx wrote

I’ve literally been posting this on every single r/memes “When you accidentally hit restart” meme for years. Thank you for bringing this to a wider audience.

rypher t1_jed55ug wrote

Why would you post it to memes?

Tallen122 t1_jed5cz9 wrote

Cuz the people making memes about accidentally hitting restart instead of shut down

_CadX t1_jebyymc wrote

r/OneTimeInABlueMoonProTip

danuser8 t1_jecgxlm wrote

Where is ESCto click?

DamnitDom t1_jecudrt wrote

on the very top left of your keyboard

danuser8 t1_jed1bgt wrote

So hit esc on keyboard… not click. Got it

BadLoompa t1_jegmkrn wrote

Hitting it may not be enough. Best practice is to always crane kick that esc into a leglock.

Fingersmeller t1_jed3ucg wrote

And then if you press ctrl+alt+del wait 5 seconds and press alt+f4 and unplug your computer and then bash it into a million pieces with a baseball bat, you won't have to worry about it anymore.

A little tip I picked up while working on Wallstreet. YW

Nawnp t1_jedx38b wrote

More context is needed. Is this Windows, Mac, or some other system that allows this?

What's the time limit, obviously the system will actually restart and ignore your inputs at some point.

Xanoks OP t1_jedxe5q wrote

Added edit.

Nawnp t1_jedycux wrote

Ok thanks, figured it was Windows, but as a Mac user, you never know.

sbvp t1_jeep0ay wrote

on a mac, quickly click on any program in the dock. if a new app launches, it cancels a shutdown or restart. if youre fast enough. i hope the newer operating systems still do this

Lancaster1983 t1_jecsj9c wrote

I was doing maintenance on our domain controllers a few weekends ago and one of our DCs in Sao Paulo was still downloading the updates (basically a two-cans-and-string internet there) and the server warned me I was about to be signed out because of an auto reboot (for the same maintenance).

I'm like "hell no this thing will take another 5 hours to install these fucking updates!"

Opened a command prompt, shutdown -a saved the day.

syncopator t1_jectwlm wrote

This brings up my favorite example of the difference in philosophies between Windows and Mac.

Windows won’t do a goddamn thing without at least 3 steps and asking me if I’m sure I want to do that, except for shutting down or restarting.

Mac will do whatever I want with one step except for shutting down or restarting, where it politely asks if I’m sure.

maurinet79 t1_jee5662 wrote

Minus whatever was already closed

marafi82 t1_jeehb64 wrote

the true hero, you are

keepthetips t1_jeb59u8 wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

BlamingBuddha t1_jedykyx wrote

Whoops, og comment posted on alt:

Bro I love you. I just did this last night. Again. For the trillionth time somehow.

Thank you very much. Now I just need to remember this. (And have poops this smoothly every time; I know- TMI.

My dad has traumatized me ever since I've learned of Elvis's ending as a child.)

CoolGuySauron t1_jeeda1x wrote

Not gonna work. Sure, the desktop is still there, some apps as well, but the OS already send a "sigterm" signal to many programs and they will shutdown even if the operating system is still "running".

This will make it really hard to continue to use the computer since you need those programs running in the background.

Philosipho t1_jeev6b5 wrote

I run custom scripts in place of the shutdown / restart / logoff functions. They give me a delay with a popup message and a voice alert. The scripts are programmed to stop if I hit escape before the delay is over. They also do a few other things, like warn me if certain apps are running and ignore apps that are hung.

They're pretty easy to make using AutoIt or AHK.

bertolintus t1_jeevv63 wrote

Just tested it, doesnt work. Why are people upvoting a fake LPT?

Xanoks OP t1_jeew2ox wrote

I posted it cause it worked for me, W10.

−3

StelioZz t1_jefrvhr wrote

Laughs in always using a bat file to turn off my pc after some mins or instantly depending if I have a process running

dextronaut t1_jedyd9t wrote

Bro I love you. I just did this last night. Again. For that trillionth time somehow.

Thank you very much. Now I just need to remember this. (And have poops this smoothly every time; I know- TMI.

My dad has traumatized me ever since I've learned of Elvis's ending as a child.)

BurnThrough t1_jeg4s32 wrote

A random sentence completely devoid of context. Good job OP…

MonoChz t1_jed1p58 wrote

Shut down doesn’t actually shut down. Do the restart.

−2

FirmPrune87 t1_jed9e3j wrote

or you could switch to Linux and never have that issue again!

−2

aka_oscar t1_jeeioyj wrote

Switching an os for such a specific problem which solution we already know is kinda overkill