Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

GuardianMike t1_j5jgeqz wrote

This isn't great advice. Bench press is one of the poorest exercises you can do for building muscle as it provides almost zero range of motion in the chest. Deadlifts are great time savers, but zero top-level professional athletes use them & you'll never see them recommended by any physio because of how much they contribute to lower back issues - which are now everywhere.

−7

Katana_sized_banana t1_j5jmscy wrote

What workout is better for chest than bench press? I'd like to learn. Butterfly machine? Dumbbell flyes, I guess?

HorridDoesWork t1_j5jopqn wrote

Ideslly you would do 2 excercises so you could do bench or some other press into flies.

MonkeyFella64 t1_j5jn64i wrote

Bench press strength and pec size are very strongly correlated. ROM isn't everything. And if you worry about that, do CG. Also deadlifts are only dangerous for stupid people.

bakedjennett t1_j5ju9nx wrote

Deadlifts are the most fear mongered movement. For no reason.

MonkeyFella64 t1_j5juldj wrote

Yep. You're more likely to injure yourself playing tennis.

ImTheHipHopapotamus t1_j5jrghe wrote

This is so wrong. Bench press is great for growing your pectoral muscles however you do it, be it barbell or dumbbells. Its best to include other chest exercises to hit upper and lower chest too. Like incline bench for upper chest, cable crossovers or chest press machine for middle chest, and then kneeling x presses for lower chest.

I hate reading anything about fitness or workouts on here as people just spout so much disinformation its crazy.

bakedjennett t1_j5jspxt wrote

Bench is “bad” for chest because there are other more isolating movements for the chest. But the whole point of this list is compound not iso

Kike328 t1_j5jyrwb wrote

That’s only true if you’re on steroids. Bench is the most important exercise for chest size lol