Submitted by Vidableek t3_1173wba in LifeProTips

I recently started working at a big chain store, stocking on the overnight shift, so 8-10PM to 7AM. The physical demand I can get used to, but sleep is going to be difficult to figure out. Anything that's worked for you in terms of sleep, diet, activity that will help me not hate this decision would be appreciated.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

keepthetips t1_j99x7o2 wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

DrStrangeLoveOHILTSW t1_j99y190 wrote

I would take melatonin or another sleep aid at the time you intend to be going to bed (presumably some time in the morning) over a period of days to help force you to sleep during the day, so that you will be unable to fall back asleep at night.

You can also take Sudafed, caffeine pills, or any other stimulants in the evenings to stay awake through the night.

I know it sounds like I'm only suggesting drugs, but that's because I'm only suggesting drugs. 😶

Best of luck!

HoratioMegellan t1_j99y4e8 wrote

Invest in blackout curtains for your bedroom and ensure no light is seen around them. Set a strict sleep schedule, i.e I come home, eat, allow myself three hours to unwind then go to bed. If possible stick to as close to your work schedule on your days off as possible at least for the first month. Try to avoid the urge to eat too much junk food. It's common for people to grave salt and sugar through the night but this is not only unhealthy but will also make it harder to get good sleep.

SnowSlider3050 t1_j99z1uz wrote

Decide on the best routine for you - for example sleep 8AM to 4PM or 1PM to 8PM. I work 7PM to 3/4AM and usually sleep right after.

Also if I don’t get 7-8 hours of sleep I’ll try to nap before work.

CheeseMakingMom t1_j9a0xr4 wrote

I work 6:30pm-5am. I’ve invested in a blackout curtain for the bathroom/en-suite and a well-fitting sleep mask for darkness. A low dose of Melatonin helps me get back to sleep (I’m an extremely light sleeper.) I frequently use white noise to distract me from the neighbors’ motorcycles, parties, classic cars, and other neighborhood sounds - I particularly like rain.

My bed is comfortable. I keep the room temperature a little lower so I can snuggle and curl up in my covers. This is easier in cool months than, say, August.

I generally plan my meals by my body clock, so I’m eating oatmeal or an English muffin with coffee at 4pm, a sandwich or leftovers at 11:30pm, and a larger meal when I get home as my dinner. My slow cooker is amazing for that, I dump the ingredients in before I leave for work, and get home to a wonderful-smelling house and virtually zero prep.

I try to stay on my night schedule when I’m on my weekend, which is why it’s 3:45am and I’m listening to classical music as I’m working on my class in Employment Law.

Good luck!

Mcshiggs t1_j9a1mm7 wrote

Blackout curtains, coffee, shower when you get home for you, shower before work for them.

Yodogzup t1_j9a26a8 wrote

Come home wired do a few bong rips and drink a 40. ‘A forty and a blunt that’s all I really want “.

Onallthelists t1_j9a2p0q wrote

Blackout curtains are JV. The real trick is to get thoes rubber coated sheet blinds installed. You can find them in the blinds section of home depot. No light leakage at all. Get a good seal on the door and a t shirt in front of the bottom of the door. You will learn what true darkness is.

Able_Kaleidoscope_61 t1_j9a3ocb wrote

You can shift your sleep schedule to fool your circadian rhythm to match your work schedule. It takes about a week or two. As other comments have mentioned, blackout curtains are a must. A white noise machine is very helpful too. Sunlight keeps you entrained to the usual day night cycle; But block your eyes from getting 440-460 nm blue white light, and your body will think it's night. You should also get some blue light blocking glasses to wear the drive home to block the same light. Get 15-30 minutes of bright sun when you wake up in the afternoon to clue in your circadian rhythm.

Bonus tips:

1. It's easier to advance your circadian rhythm (staying up later each night)than delay you circadian rhythm (trying to go to bed early each night).

2. Tell your healthcare provider. They can get you special medication to help with alertness & mood. It does nothing for your circadian rhythm, but is nice to have for those day you don't get much sleep before work due to daytime obligations.

Aretemc t1_j9abt01 wrote

One piece of advice I’m not seeing: switch all the time pieces you own (that you can) to the 24hr clock. You don’t want to glance at a clock and get a shot of adrenaline thinking you’re late for work, but you just confused am with pm because you’re sleep deprived. 17:00 is quicker to read than 5:00 pm.

Ok-Eggplant-1649 t1_j9ad2fo wrote

These worked for me: Amber light-blocking sunglasses for the drive home. Block all light in your room or eye mask. Eat healthy. No caffeine at least 8 hours before sleep. Melatonin or tart cherry juice an hour before bed. White noise machine or fan while sleeping.

f00d_the_Gentleman t1_j9ae30z wrote

The people in your life will not understand what it means that you work at night, even if you explain it to them. Set your phone to have a "do not disturb" schedule for your unwind/sleep phase. Spam, scam, and wrong numbers will call you during the day even if your own people leave you alone. Set the DND for peace of mind.

Dinglepussers t1_j9afmhn wrote

Supplementing melatonin would change your circadian rhythm

Ciebelle t1_j9ah591 wrote

If you can’t get blinds or curtains right away get a good sleep mask.

Ciebelle t1_j9ai2r5 wrote

All good tips. Mine is if you don’t live alone. I did nights with 6 kids and a husband. I never who would be home at any point in day. I got a good lock for our bedroom door. When I hunker down for a sleep I don’t have to worry that someone left the door unlocked and I’m gonna get robbed in my sleep My house might get robbed but i guess I feel safer sleeping with my area secured.
Plus kids who could see the sign on door saying moms sleeping and still tried…no luck. Lol

Ours is a keypad so my husband could always get in room if necessary

Also with phone. I put it on do not disturb. But because I have kids I had it so the school and my husband could get through. No other calls though

For me getting my brain to shut down helped. So knowing if kids school needed me I could be reached. My kids knew to hit dad up first with calls too

Good luck

Ciebelle t1_j9ai86s wrote

Don’t drink a lot after 3 am. You will have to pee less during sleep time

PanSmithe t1_j9ajcg6 wrote

Your sleep needs to be consecutive hours, not broken into segments bc inevitably something will come up and you won't get your second segment. I've worked nights off and on for many years, and that's the best tip. Be strict about others not disturbing you. Otherwise, same as others have said, blackout curtains, white noise, DND on your phone.

PerformerGreat t1_j9ajjnh wrote

I work 4am to 1230 pm shifts. My place is completely blacked out. You will adjust with time. Took a good year. Always try to go to bed on time. I refuse to take naps because they screw up my sleep schedule. Use sleeping pills sparingly for the nights you just don't feel tired. Avoid peer pressure to stay up later. Getting up at a weird time is no joke. Don't let your friends talk you Into be irresponsible with your rest period. Expect your social life to suffer, at least the first year

McDid t1_j9bcjk7 wrote

this may be a prime opportunity to embrace some good sleep health habits which will help you overall. theres more out there, but what I can remember is... Sleep in a dark room so your brian makes melatonin, avoid using your bed/ bedroom for more than sleep, establish and keep a schedule, be wary that it only takes like 2 wonky days to disrupt an already established schedule, and try to avoid over-relying on sleeping pills or on energy drinks.

Bamfcah t1_j9bswxl wrote

Sleep before work. If you work for example 10pm-6am, then stay up after work. Sleep 1pm-9pm.

I've worked many overnight positions and this worked best for me. Its tempting to go to Sleep as soon as you're off work, but you end up sleeping through most normal business hours so it's hard to get things done. Also, I feel it's better to be fresh when you start work rather than starting work after already being up most of the day.

Most people wake up and go to work, then do things after work. You can be the same way. As opposed to waking up, doing things, then going to work.

spoonfullofrage t1_j9btam2 wrote

Andrew hubermann podcast on sleep and shift work. Google it.

JFor_ t1_j9byfwq wrote

Look up Dr Andrew Huberman's podcast on Shift Workers on YouTube!

forreasonsunknown79 t1_j9conk6 wrote

1. Set a schedule and stick to it. For example, when I worked nights while single, I just did whatever until I passed out sometime during the day. When I got married, I set a schedule every day. Got off at 7 am, go home, shower, and in bed by 8 am. Unless some emergency happened, I never deviated from this. My wife would get me up when she got home around 3:30, so I got sleep. 2) Don’t try to change your schedule on weekends or off-days. It will ruin your body’s adjustment to working nights, and then you’ll struggle until the weekend. 3) Just get used to feeling tired.

No_Independence_9721 t1_j9d85wd wrote

Sounds like a big blue store. My opinion: do whatever possible to find a daytime job ASAP.

Vidableek OP t1_j9d94m5 wrote

This is possibly the best advice so far lol. Right after I got this job, I interviewed for and got a much better one at a warehouse, higher pay but still overnight.

Tbh I'm not enthused with the company at all, as expected. But all the other night shift people are really cool.

Are you a blue vest survivor?

samnhamneggs t1_j9e74x1 wrote

Dark, cool room to sleep in, white noise can be helpful (I used to leave talk radio on really low, I could hear it if I really tried but would lull me to sleep otherwise), and eat as healthy as possible. Going to the gym after work was super helpful with helping me sleep as well. It’s not an easy thing but you got this!

TheBrickyard83 t1_j9f2nvr wrote

The biggest hurdle to overcome is establishing a schedule/routine and sticking to it. Force yourself to fall asleep at X time and wake up at Y time. As long as you have a routine, you'll maintain some level of sanity