Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

bugdude666 t1_iv184o0 wrote

It’ll be icy and cold. Depending on when it warms up this year it could be a little slushy. That being said, our restaurants and museums and stuff will be open and a lot less crowded than during summer and leaf season! You’ll want to get some boots and coats, though.

crypto_crypt_keeper t1_iv1abwb wrote

Might be cheaper in some areas but maybe not Portland definitely not ski towns usually they have high rates based on school vacations. Actually in Portland I'd recommend coming on Monday and leaving Friday morning because the difference in hotel room price between Thursday and Friday can be as much as 400$ or maybe more. I just looked at a room for last Saturday and it was 700 something Saturday but only like 274$ during the week

Euphoric_Routine_438 OP t1_iv1es3l wrote

For what it’s worth, it would be the last week in March at least! Sounds like it has pros and cons. Ultimately, would the weather be preventative from getting the full experience? (Probably touristy to someone who lives up there, but is lobster still a thing that time of year?)

bugdude666 t1_iv1ft1e wrote

Lobster is a thing all year round lol, you’d probably get it cheaper in march. In my opinion, the “full experience” of Maine IS the cold and slushy weather. If by the full experience you mean pretty leaves and schooners in the harbor, then no, you won’t get those in March. But you’ll get to see “real” Maine! And Portland is pretty hopping all year round. Highly recommend checking out the art museum (Dahlov Ipcar is phenomenal) and the comic shops in the old port if you do visit. Hope that helps!

E: spring usually arrives sometime between late March and late May, depending on how you see spring and how the weather is acting this year. Seeing crocuses poking through snow is pretty common.

Euphoric_Routine_438 OP t1_iva33cz wrote

Went ahead and booked! You raise a good point though. I’m sure this is a cop-out with what I’ve heard about some of the smaller boutique hotels in the area, but I’m a Marriott guy and will be paying mostly in points. Any thoughts on the location/general niceness level of either the Westin or the AC hotel? Westin looks essentially to be in the core of downtown, although again I have no idea what I’m talking about

crypto_crypt_keeper t1_iva3ww5 wrote

So I go into Portland twice a week, once for a run and once with my teenage daughter because she loves the city and we just walk around, usually get dinner. The Westin is right next to the parking garage I use everytime so short answer is yes you nailed it on the head haha. That's a great area, tons of restaurants within eyesight even but even more options with in short walking distance. you guys are going to have a good time no doubt. Like I said though bring the best boots ya got. As far as the AC hotel, it's a great location as well it's closer to the wharf and stuff but either location is prime