Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Juicey_J_Hammerman t1_jc6h4cr wrote

Newark is a big city and still has a lot of room for infill and large scale developments relative to other areas. I think there’s still room/time for Newark to absorb additional developments before “gentrification” as we know it (ie people becoming displaced on a large scale due to housing price outs) truly happens.

Jimmy_kong253 t1_jc676uh wrote

Gentrification will happen it just made a pitstop in Harrison first but once all these luxury buildings are finished around Newark Penn its going to pick up.

aTribeCalledLemur t1_jca1hrb wrote

Harrison added housing on former industrial sites where no one was living. There hasn't been a ton of actual gentrification of old Harrison residents getting displaced by new ones yet.

Jimmy_kong253 t1_jca1oc2 wrote

But the prices is for some of those apartments even in old Harrison are getting ridiculous.

Nwk_NJ t1_jc6r6t9 wrote

Newark is not seeing gentrification even close to many/most other cities, and I'm not sure it will. That does not stop the political shtick which uses it as a buzz word. We don't have widespread or significant gentrification yet you still have an ordinance requiring (EDIT) 20% affordable housing in new buildings. You'd think the city would encourage more rapid gentrification at least in the downtown area, knowing that vast swaths of the city are so far off from it than such ordinance could be enacted later. Still, with Halo and etc going up, downtown is headed that direction. Ironbound an intriguing hybrid of a cultural center primed for hospitality already, now kind of seeing an influx.

Interesting that this research found Newark mayors to be putting forth pro-gentrification policies, yet despite that Newark still stalling in that regard. I suppose that's a mixed bag of good thing/bad thing. Newark has a complex history with alot of other factors, including the racial politics that won't go away on either end of the racial dynamic, a new political racial divide amongst Latinos who are a rising power, and the unique subdivision and territorialism of New Jersey and its municipalities. I'm interested to see where Newark is in about 20 years...I imagine it will continue to evolve, but I never saw some Brooklyn or Jersey City. I'm not sure it even has the housing stock, let alone the intangible factors for that to happen.

recnilcram t1_jc7nxej wrote

The inclusionary zoning Ordinance is a 20% affordable set aside.

Nwk_NJ t1_jc7oe1d wrote

Idk why I thought 40. I think maybe one building that voluntarily. My bad. 20% isn't nearly the same level. Still considerable though.

recnilcram t1_jc7v64i wrote

Yeah developers can do more as a gesture of good faith, as part of financing / grant schemes, or to off-set variances.

Showa789 t1_jc744ej wrote

I think the big issue in this article is that it’s only looking at Newark overall. Gentrification is apparent, but only we if we focus on individual neighborhoods like the Ironbound and Forest Hill. Places that at most were asking 1400 for a 2BR near South St are now asking for at least 2400. A house in Forest Hill recently became the first one-family in Newark to sell for over $1 million. It’s a tediously slow process that hasn’t yet spread to other neighborhoods , but it’s happening.

surrealchemist t1_jc7rzev wrote

I think it also makes it harder to judge right now because housing prices are up everywhere. A lot of the construction hasn’t even had people move in either. If it will be locals or people trying to get affordable commuter living remains to be seen but anywhere along a train line the developers seem to build “luxury” apartments.

ayeelmao_ t1_jc7gikj wrote

The gentrification is coming. Just give it time & be ready. Newark’s geographic position, rail connections, & currently depreciated property values make it a prime target for NY-centric gentrifier developers.

Ironboundian t1_jc4pqsb wrote

How do we get the full Article?

Newarkguy1836 OP t1_jc4s8eg wrote

You should see a gray bar directly below the skyline image of Newark saying " urbanaffairsreview.com "

Urbanaffairsreview.com/newark

Usually just tapping the picture will take you there.

Atuk-77 t1_jc7hjuz wrote

Hopefully it happens soon, activist are only looking for fame because there is absolutely no good for locals by keeping the status quo, those who can afford immediately send their kids to private schools outside the city or move out to provide their heirs better opportunities. Gentrification comes with a price but it offers opportunities and better local schools.

ScrollHectic t1_jc81fqi wrote

Opportunities for whom? The gentrifiers moving in or the original residents being priced out? The locally owned businesses that can't afford the new high rents or the national retailers who pay too low for their workforce to live in the now gentrified city they work in?

I think balance is key and I'm happy that we don't have runaway gentrification like so many people on here dream about. Growth and change is healthy and, like someone pointed out, there is room for more people but it shouldn't be at the detriment to others. And that's what the "Ghetto Lobby" is fighting for - balance.

And I don't understand why people still point to this "Ghetto Lobby" when clearly lots of development proposals get approved. It's like when Trump kept brining up Hilary Clinton years after anything she did had any relevance.

Atuk-77 t1_jcahgip wrote

The current conditions also come with a price for local residents/ entrepreneurs who work hard and are forced to leave their neighborhoods behind because of lack of opportunities, safety. Yes, there should be help for local business which is what provides balance other than that gentrification will help modernize Newark.

I_am_Torok t1_jcpx3wl wrote

We need more nightlife for gentrification.