Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pocketbookashtray t1_isuxqcz wrote

Any reasonable person knows that in order to prevent fraud, rules must be set and established.

Now if we can only get a strong voter ID law, as most every other country has, maybe people will start having faith in the election process again.

−13

Aezon22 t1_isuzapc wrote

Voter ID is republican bullshit. PA dems offered a free voter ID a while ago, repubs shot it down. They wanted people to have to pay for it. Gee I wonder why? Meanwhile it’s illegal to make someone pay for one as it constitutes a poll tax. But of course the jackasses will keep screeching about it, making up shit about voter fraud, etc. it’s all just bullshit and you guys are dumb enough to fall for it.

pocketbookashtray t1_it9b31h wrote

Democrats are all about cheating at elections. From Tammany Hall to Daley’s Chicago to current Philadelphia, the Democrats have cheated in every election for 100 years. Sorry that you don’t know history.

hachijuhachi t1_isv45z7 wrote

Audits that were funded by the losing candidate concluded there was not fraud to a degree that would have had any effect on the outcome. Find a new line or find a new person to try it on.

pocketbookashtray t1_it9auif wrote

So fraud only matters to you if it flips the election. Kind of like drunk driving doesn’t matter until you run over a child.

hachijuhachi t1_it9gcg9 wrote

Nope. Your analogy only works if drunk driving literally didn’t have a meaningful outcome. You’re comparing drunk driving - something that injures and kills innocent people (10,000 deaths/year per NHTSA). Voter fraud has never been shown to impact the outcome of any recent U.S. election. It used to be rampant. It’s just not anymore. Technology and practices have improved to remedy what was once a real problem. It’s a poor analogy. One is a real problem. The other is a windmill that quixotic republicans are trying to convince us all is a giant.

pocketbookashtray t1_itcc248 wrote

That you think voter fraud isn’t rampant says all anyone needs to know about your intelligence.

hachijuhachi t1_itchw95 wrote

That’s all you got? Here I was hoping I was up against someone with some real evidence, something beyond a baseless claim. But then you switched gears to “you’re dumb” and now I’m honestly a little disappointed.

What I haven’t seen is any voter fraud with my own two eyes. So I gotta depend on reports of others. And see, the only others who claim that there is “rampant” voter fraud, even voter fraud that amounts to anything more than a handful of republicans who tried voting multiple times (shame they didn’t realize this really isn’t an effective way to impact the outcome of an election). Those who do claim that there was voter fraud have been the last president, who lost the election and has a reputation that, let’s just say, calls his credibility into some question, and those who support him.

Wouldn’t it be better for you guys to say “ok. You know what? We lost that one. It sucks. But let’s find someone else who can continue the things we liked about the last president (who lost) and leave some of the things we didn’t like behind?” Find a new standard bearer that more people will take seriously. All these voter fraud claims make the claimants look like sore losers.

Can’t you find me one reputable, unbiased report of rampant voter fraud? One?

insofarincogneato t1_isx0xud wrote

You know how required licensing only burdens working class and POC with owning firearms and doesn't actually stop violent crime? Why is voter ID supposed to stop voter fraud instead of disenfranchise voters when there's not any significant statistic of fraud?

pocketbookashtray t1_it556oj wrote

So you are in the POC are too stupid to be able to get an ID camp. Nice racist position.

−1

insofarincogneato t1_it5afxk wrote

The ID thing is about government agencies purposely making it difficult for working class people and folks who are marginalized by society due to hours of operation, location and price. separating working class from POC in what I said is a bad faith attempt to redirect and speaks volumes about what points you have to actually make. You didn't even address the main point about ID and licenses preventing crime or fraud.

With no real argument, what's left? You just don't care if it makes voting harder cause you buy into media bullshit and talking about race relations is nice and divisive. You can miss me with that shit, and you probably shouldn't assume someone's race on the Internet.

pocketbookashtray t1_it5dwdl wrote

We can agree that government agencies make life difficult for everyone. Less government is always a good thing. But you overstate the difficulty of getting an ID. There is not one piece of evidence that voter ID, anywhere in the world, has inhibited legal voting.

insofarincogneato t1_it5h8p5 wrote

If there's no problem getting an ID and there's no good evidence that voter fraud is a wide spread problem then I have to wonder why you're not questioning why it's such a huge party platform.

Why make it harder?

You know you can't prove a negative right? If people are inhibited from voting how would you be able to keep statistics on it? Site the source of a study done on it.

When government makes things harder, it's disproportionately harder on marginalized people. I just don't get why voter ID is the one "inconvenience" you're arguing for.

insofarincogneato t1_it5in2r wrote

How do you rationalize the requirements of ID? Should homeless people not get to vote because they don't have a legal address? Should we charge people for legal documents that are needed in order to exercise their rights?

All this kind of talk does is further politician's agenda to discredit and to influence folks to lose faith in our system. What do we do when Democrats take majority and we have to fight for even more strict requirements? Are we gonna take their word that it's in good faith? Cause I'm not really here for that.

pocketbookashtray t1_it9agib wrote

So every other civilized country is doing it wrong.

insofarincogneato t1_ita4znq wrote

What an argument... Is every other country doing gun licenses right? How is it that America is compared to other countries only when it's convenient?

CheckPlease54 t1_isxj4k6 wrote

Because you’ve never heard of fake IDs? It solves zero

pocketbookashtray t1_iszd9lz wrote

So you believe we should get rid of drivers licenses. Because, after all they can be faked.

CheckPlease54 t1_iszp9gk wrote

I’m just saying it’s not a full proof way to prevent things, just ask any college student.