Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ThunderySleep t1_isymyxi wrote

I kind of wanted to answer that comment about what the difference is if they don't do their job when you left it under my comment: My point was there is no difference, and having them quit is not a logical solution to the problem if the problem is not enough policing.

The solution is to incentivize them to do their job. Or at least not de-incentivize them.

RevHenryMagoo t1_isynp73 wrote

How would you incentivize them, aside from their paychecks and pensions? Also, why do they need to be incentivized when the rest of the world just goes to work and does their jobs? Because if we don’t do our jobs, we get fired. But they don’t. Maybe that’s a problem? Maybe that’s incentive not to work, since there are no repercussions and they collect their money anyway.

ThunderySleep t1_isyp1h0 wrote

When people feel their jobs are meaningless, they're not incentivized to do it well. If their jobs were made ineffective by the DA's office not prosecuting or under-prosecuting, making criminals aware potential crimes no longer come with punishment, their jobs no longer have a purpose. This is exactly what the PPD was pointing out for years with regard to the DA. Rather than listen, people villainized the police, rioted and further villainized them when they came to people's defense, then re-elected the DA with the soft-on crime policies that were making their job ineffective.

Now they're even further villainized by people pointing to them as the problem, when they were trying to point to the real root of the problem for years.

In summary: Stop villainizing police as a whole and prosecute crimes so their policing can have an effect.

RevHenryMagoo t1_isyqyqv wrote

So they won’t arrest because the DA isn’t prosecuting enough? Do they need guarantees that everyone they arrest will be charged, prosecuted, adjudicated and incarcerated? Or maybe their job is to arrest, and regardless of the outcome they should do their jobs. I’m amazed that the police and their apologists have no problem casting themselves as the biggest fucking piss-puddle crybabies in the city. The lack of shame is astounding.

ThunderySleep t1_isyrh20 wrote

> I’m amazed that the police and their apologists have no problem casting themselves as the biggest fucking piss-puddle crybabies in the city.

This is not how grown-ups carry conversation. The lack of self-awareness in the face of the point I'm making is what's astounding here.

RevHenryMagoo t1_isys2c8 wrote

Still can’t explain away why they won’t do their jobs, huh? Other than they need emotional support.

ThunderySleep t1_isys72n wrote

This was all explained to you, bud. Obviously you're not interested in serious discussion. Have a good one.

RevHenryMagoo t1_isyt035 wrote

The day that PPD holds itself accountable I’ll be here for whatever serious discussion you want to have.

karensPA t1_iszjzfn wrote

It’s not true the DA isn’t prosecuting. He’s not eager to convict without this thing called “due process” and “evidence.” This requires that the police do their job in the thoughtful and professional way we expect in a democracy, not just be a bunch of taxpayer-funded thugs knocking heads and racking up arrest numbers with impunity. There are a number of cops who feel this isn’t their job, but they are mistaken.

ThunderySleep t1_iszsmxr wrote

You unironically post in /r/voteDEM and /r/January6.

Obviously I'm not going to deter your bs with reason, I just think it's important that people see that so they don't mistake you for someone chiming in with honest intentions.

karensPA t1_it00v16 wrote

So everyone understands, you think it’s “dishonest” to be a Democrat and to believe January 6th was a violent attempt to overthrow a free and fair election by force, but we should definitely listen to your opinions, which are not at all dishonest. But mostly I’m worried by your interest in splooting squirrels. Are you getting help for that?

ThunderySleep t1_it016cv wrote

Perfect. That's all I want plastered under your comment.

edit: Ah, the old respond and block.

karensPA t1_it05gpp wrote

You’re telling on yourself, friend. Let the adults talk now.

Dat_Boi_Aint_Right t1_it80aby wrote

In case you missed it, Jan 6th was a violent attempt to disrupt the peaceful transition of power.

hayydebb t1_it0td3p wrote

Thanks for pointing out that they have honest intentions and you don’t. And following the playbook of looking through someone’s Reddit history to try and find a gacha instead of having a good point.

drxdrg08 t1_iszb21w wrote

> How would you incentivize them, aside from their paychecks and pensions? Also, why do they need to be incentivized when the rest of the world just goes to work and does their jobs? Because if we don’t do our jobs, we get fired. But they don’t.

It sounds like you work for a paycheck because you can be fired. Because you are replaceable.

Cops generally are not replaceable. All the people that want to be cops in a general geographic area are already cops.

• If you are replaceable = no leverage with the employer

• Not replaceable = you have the upper hand

You've read plenty of Karl Marx. This should be obvious to you.

−3

RevHenryMagoo t1_iszeg5h wrote

You are absolutely correct: PPD have no accountability. You think that’s because they’re exceptional. Your Ayn Rand is showing.