Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Genkiotoko t1_isz6x0q wrote

I strongly suggest everyone reads City Controller Rhynhart's audit of the Philadelphia Police Department released the other day. It really explains a lot behind the shortcomings of policing in Philadelphia. For example, the police department patrols areas like Kensington 22% less now than in 2017. Response rates are the slowest amongst major cities. Ninety percent of calls to 911 nationally are answered in 10 seconds while Philly is 68%. There are all sorts of issues like outdated systems of data tracking and departmental communication, community engagement, lack of concise roles, and so much more. For example, many cops are performing administrative duties and jobs that could be done by regular civilians. For example, uniformed officers are tasked with delivering files between precincts, a job a courier company or non-uniformed employee could do more affordably..

At the end of the day, more criminals will take larger risks when the entire enforcement apparatus takes longer to receive, respond, and engage situations.

Provetie t1_it0vomm wrote

That report should shake this city to its core. It’s timely and pertinent. Hopefully, it does not get swept under the rug with the next ridiculous “news” story.

With that said, I fail to see how this equates to OP’s article.

stevez_86 t1_it26ffi wrote

The police are holding the city hostage because the mayor hurt their feelings. If a gang were to run law enforcement in Philly I think we would see a safer place than now.

BroSnow t1_it0l7cq wrote

That’s a lot of response time stats from a dude who leaves out the department size decreases over that same time. Hint: there are a lot fewer cops and less recruits to fill the gaps.

−3

Genkiotoko t1_it0mll7 wrote

The report infers that response time would greatly be improved should there be corrections with officers who are abusing Heart and Lung protocol or other sick-out reasons (11%, compared to the next highest city of 3%) and officers performing non-policing administrative work. The report also says that there indeed needs to be an improvement in office retention and recruiting.

At the end of the day we need to recognize that police need to do policing. That means improving the systems they have access to, cracking down on sick-out fraud, improving retention, improving processes and SOPs, and ensuring/enforcing job role clarity.

PPD needs a top to bottom overhaul to address a slew of issues. I encourage you to actually read the report.

mkinn01 t1_it2mtte wrote

I think if the DA was not so anti-police you might see a boost in moral and less sick time being used. It’s hard to go to a job every day with the stress level these cops have to deal with,

kormer t1_it47smg wrote

> The report infers that response time would greatly be improved should there be corrections with officers who are abusing Heart and Lung protocol or other sick-out reasons (11%, compared to the next highest city of 3%)

Teachers abusing sick policies to negotiate better working conditions: YAAS SLAY QUEEN!!! POWER TO THE UNIONS!!!

Police Officers abusing sick policies to negotiate better working conditions: Wait no, not like that!

timewellwasted5 t1_it0pnl3 wrote

I wonder why there are fewer police officers and fewer police officer candidates. I wonder if that summer that we spent burning police cars, shouting fuck the police at the top of our lungs, and generally disrespecting the profession in every way imaginable had anything to do with it.

−7

SpectacledReprobate t1_it0tth7 wrote

Wasn’t it Philly police that literally stole a kid and did a photo opp with him, saying his mom ditched him at a protest?

Wrong city for this narrative, chief

Edit: It was, and the actual story was far worse than that, city settled for $2 million.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelphia-settles-millions-rickia-young-unrest-20210913.html

timewellwasted5 t1_it0wm46 wrote

Not exactly dude, the city of Philadelphia is a democratic disaster. Wawa is making a good call getting the hell out of that city.

−12

SpectacledReprobate t1_it0ytic wrote

So the answer is yes, and you’re trying to deflect from your actual disaster of a statement?

Philly’s been Philly since the days when PA was considered a “legacy” GOP state, so in the words of Abe Lincoln:

You broke it, you bought it, asshole.

timewellwasted5 t1_it12fvd wrote

Sorry, I’m not a republican either. I know that’s the easy deflection point, but Philadelphia is a union strong hold, and a democratic city through and through. And, like many other democratic cities throughout the country, it’s turned into a fucking war zone. Nice job!

−5

SpectacledReprobate t1_it13py7 wrote

Really sounds like you don’t want to talk about that kid that Philly PD kidnapped, bud.

Also, crime is way up nationwide from small town to mega city and in red rural states.

These attempts to pin it ALL on Democrats are weak and stupid, even by (R) standards.

Also what is it, 8/10 of the most violent states in the Union are (R) strongholds? That’s math that even you can do.

timewellwasted5 t1_it14vpk wrote

I actually don’t know anything about the kid in Philly, but I will look into it. This is the first I’ve heard of that story.

Now, what I have heard about is that major corporations, Starbucks, McDonald’s, you name it, are all closing stores in the center of cities. These are not republican cities. These are democratic cities. Can you tell me what the problem is?

SpectacledReprobate t1_it17tgv wrote

> I actually don’t know anything about the kid in Philly, but I will look into it. This is the first I’ve heard of that story.

“I’m either lying or extremely uninformed” isn’t really the out you think it is.

> Now, what I have heard about is that major corporations, Starbucks, McDonald’s, you name it, are all closing stores in the center of cities.

> These are not republican cities. Can you tell me what the problem is?

So a quick google search of “England store close crime” gives me examples of stories outside the US closing due to increased crime rates.

Are Democrats responsible for that too?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/20813418.amp/

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jul/21/recorded-in-england-and-wales-at-20-year-high-as-charge-rate-hits-new-low

The most violent states in the union are mostly run by Rs. This insane little blame game of yours needs to stop.

timewellwasted5 t1_it2ayul wrote

Dude, I have no idea what is wrong with you but I legitimately did not hear about that story about the kid. I’m not really sure how else to explain that I didn’t hear about a news story that you’re talking about…not sure what you’re getting at there.

Dat_Boi_Aint_Right t1_it7xxvy wrote

Then you're really not qualified to speak on this issue as you're ignorant of a huge story regarding the very topic you're trying to discuss.

What value is your opinion if it's from a position of ignorance?

[deleted] t1_it84wbw wrote

[deleted]

Dat_Boi_Aint_Right t1_itch8vj wrote

If you don't know about that incident you're clearly ignorant of the situation so your opinion isn't really worth anything.

Don't feel bad, as you said it's Reddit, so there's lots of ignorant opinions here. I just thought you might not want to be one of them.

drxdrg08 t1_iszbuj9 wrote

> For example, many cops are performing administrative duties and jobs that could be done by regular civilians.

And they are doing it while getting good union pay and union labor protections.

I thought strong and large unions were a good thing?

−19

mittenedkittens t1_iszdf1j wrote

What kind of gotcha is that supposed to be?

I think the assertion is simple - why are we paying these cops to be administrators and not cops? That's misuse of a limited resource, and a sign of mismanagement.

alexp8771 t1_iszj2sq wrote

I think he understands unions better than you do. There is probably some medical reason or someshit why they cannot patrol, and because of strong union protections they are given something else to do but get to keep all of their pay and benefits. That is what unions give you. Every union I have ever been involved with on the private side was like this.

−20

Genkiotoko t1_isznenf wrote

There are a lot of assumptions in your statement. Read the report and you'll see medical issues are not why cops doing menial tasks and non-policing jobs. There are also plenty of other public sector unions that administrative workers belong to.

drxdrg08 t1_iszh7d4 wrote

> What kind of gotcha is that supposed to be?

Logic 101?

> I think the assertion is simple - why are we paying these cops to be administrators and not cops? That's misuse of a limited resource, and a sign of mismanagement.

Because the physical person behind that job, again, gets good union pay and union labor protections.

How is this not obvious given that the narrative here is that unions are good, and higher pay is good? Are you giving up that narrative only because the money comes out of taxpayer pockets and not private company accounts?

−26

Genkiotoko t1_iszibuj wrote

>Because the physical person behind that job, again, gets good union pay and union labor protections.

There are plenty of non-police public sector unions that civilian administrative personnel can join. No reason for them to ne police officers in a police union. The average officer makes around $70,000 before overtime and other pay. There are plenty of people who would respectfully fill the position to earn $40k -$50k.

Why do you specifically want cops in these non-policing positions? Seems like a waste of taxpayer dollars and a concentration of bureaucratic power.

Alone-Lobster-7405 t1_isxs8br wrote

A lot of people want to look the other way when food and clothes are stolen but at some point the store closes which hurts everyone. Sure these companies make a profit on overpriced products but they are also the only place to shop many hours of the day.

Generic_Mustard t1_isy0yuw wrote

Our government (department of defense) already operates over 230 commisaries in all sorts of areas of varying safety.

Why not extend their duties to providing safe and secure access to food for low income americans?

Since it's under the DOD I'm sure funding wouldn't be a problem.

−51

ThunderySleep t1_isy2rfq wrote

Wait, so you want to get rid of the police, and replace them with... military?

Generic_Mustard t1_isy3p87 wrote

No, I want to replace convenient stores and similar food desert for profit type stores with grocery stores that are owned and operated by our government, something they are actually very good at and are currently doing on some scale.

−33

ThunderySleep t1_isy5lqq wrote

Center city philadelphia is not a food desert. Also, Wawas don't exist in food deserts, or by definition, those places would no longer be food deserts.

Also, replacing your food supply system with a system owned and operated by the government is not an idea that has ever worked out well, for anyone. And it's been tried, many many times. It's caused many times more death and suffering than the Holocaust, and has never once worked.

CharacterBrief9121 t1_isyf0vd wrote

A food desert can have those types of stores. What’s he’s referring to is a lack of proper grocery stores.

ThunderySleep t1_isyh0xv wrote

Fair enough. Regardless, center city is by no means a food desert.

Food deserts are definitely a thing, but I'm not seeing how they relate to the topic at hand.

CharacterBrief9121 t1_isyhgs3 wrote

Because he’s suggesting replacing these type of stores with a government commissary. I don’t agree with it but that’s what the guy was saying. Really what’s missing is the small time grocers. There used to be one a block or two away from where I grew up. But they’re gone or became something else that made more money.

tr3vw t1_iszcfce wrote

There a tons of food banks for people to get free food. The issue is groups on teenagers who will come ransack places knowing they can’t really be stopped. Community will have to take a stand if they want businesses to stick around.

ThunderySleep t1_isyijq9 wrote

Right. But center city has grocery stores, and tons of restaurants. As far as I can tell, you don't really see that many Wawas in the food-desert sort of places, and if center city isn't a food desert, I don't see it as relevant to the center city Wawas closing down.

CharacterBrief9121 t1_isyjkdv wrote

Dudes bringing up a good point, that closing these stores will make it harder for people near those closed stores will have a harder time finding food. Which is mostly true, I’m sure some people did use it as their primary food resource. But your understanding of a food desert is flawed. I wouldn’t say restaurants are something that doesn’t make a food desert. Take for example a small town, pop less than 1,000. 2 stores in town for over 15 mi any direction. The two stores? 1 gas station/store/subway and 1 family pizza joint. Sure at both places you could spend five times as much as the ingredients would be more the same meal, but that’s also traveling the 15 miles. You could eat but at a premium. Neither of those places could you buy everything you would need to make basic meals and 2 use EBT. You can use EBT at a gas station but not for prepared/hot food. That’s a good desert but it has a “Wawa” and it has a restaurant. Do you understand what a food desert is now? You are probably closer to one than you think. I live in one myself I just have the ability and resources to drive that far to get food.

ThunderySleep t1_isyl4z7 wrote

Technically, it's one less option, but I've lived where these locations are. There are more food options there than anywhere else I've lived, and I've been lucky enough to mostly live in nice places as an adult. Grocery stores, take-out places, casual restaurants, fine-dining, I mean everything. It's the major appeal of that area.

I totally agree food deserts area real, and philadelphia has them. And this conversation is starting making sense if imagining a general outsider perspective of X store closing in X city, but if you're familiar with the areas these stores are in it's the antithesis of a food desert. Closer to a culinary mecca. I'm talking 200+ options on grubhub, fancy coffee shops on every corner, suishi places every other block, any cuisine you can think of, etc, on top of the regular grocery stores (which are pricey, but it's an expensive area).

As for Wawa in/around philly, they're mostly in the nicer areas that aren't at all food deserts, or they're in car-traffic heavy areas, like the plaza off Deleware ave. If there were Wawas sprinkled through Grey's Ferry, I could see their point better, but I don't think food deserts are super relevant to these particular stores closing.

CharacterBrief9121 t1_isylhao wrote

I don’t live in Philly but have been there a few times. I don’t know enough about it. But in my town when the chain groceries came in everything else died. And it was Weis and Wegmanns. Not bad stores either it just crushed any competition. Virtually the same as Walmart and small shops. Impossible to compete.

ThunderySleep t1_isym6t2 wrote

Big box stores definitely did a number on down-town America. It's been revived some places, but mostly in nicer, kind of touristy areas that can support enough restaurants and fancier boutique shops to create foot traffic. I'm just saying, these stores in particular aren't located in what would be a food desert by anyone's definition if they saw them.

eviljelloman t1_isyewci wrote

> Wawas don't exist in food deserts, or by definition, those places would no longer be food deserts.

Uh, wat? The entire point of a food desert is that the only options are bodegas and convenience stores, rather than proper grocery stores with produce and shit.

ThunderySleep t1_isyhgev wrote

Wawa sells produce. Also, I can't say I've thoroughly explored every bad area of philly, but typically you see Wawas in suburbs, or in nicer parts of the city. But fair enough, I see your point.

Whatever the case, center city isn't a food desert, and I'm not seeing what food desserts have to do with Wawas closing in center city.

generalraptor2002 t1_it1o6nm wrote

Please don’t complain when shoplifters are manhandled by the MPs. The federal government does not tolerate crime on their property.

An MP in a bad mood is the last person I’d want to tangle with. Had that experience going into an air show on an Air Force base (MP had to manually search my belongings and confiscate my $2 keychain knife, admittedly, I carry too much in my pockets).

ScienceWasLove t1_it0az1h wrote

Who the fuck do you think provides security at these places?

There are 162 wal-marts in PA alone, 230 across the globe is nothing.

Swi11ah t1_it06occ wrote

Wha?….They are located within military bases. Not outside them in Kensington or Compton California.

Tyrotoxism44 t1_isxpepp wrote

When you ran on an agenda for being soft on crime this is what happens. Businesses have to make a profit to operate and can’t do that with blatant retail theft

aust_b t1_isy8rts wrote

It isn't even theft, it was valid safety concerns. The broad and walnut wawa was super stabby. Bunch of homeless folks would congregate outside there and get into battles.

Cereal-Bowl5 t1_isycipb wrote

And 5 women recently stole from a wawa in university city and pepper sprayed the girl working behind the counter. So fucked up.

Tyrotoxism44 t1_it0g5sd wrote

And that’s how you quickly turn retail theft into robbery

drxdrg08 t1_iszd5s9 wrote

> It isn't even theft, it was valid safety concerns.

It's not even safety concerns, it's liability. If a Wawa employee is hurt or killed on the job that's an automatic workers comp claim. And almost certainly a civil suit on top.

rovinchick t1_isywv1t wrote

Honestly, the Wawa in Plymouth Meeting (to be fair, on the Norristown border) has had a double shooting and a recent stabbing in the parking lot in the last 2 years. Even outside the city, it seems like Wawa's just attract trouble.

hemiones t1_it1o5t4 wrote

Amen to that. I live in Philly suburbs ( rich horse country) and there are drug busts and stabbings at our Wawa’s too.

ThunderySleep t1_isy2wk5 wrote

Twice.

Well before his second term, people knew it was a get out of jail free card.

[deleted] t1_isxuvpc wrote

[deleted]

−3

ThunderySleep t1_isy312t wrote

Ah yes. All the criminals in philadelphia are just poor victims trying to survive, and Wawa is a store for rich people.

FaithlessnessCute204 t1_isxxqmy wrote

It’s a Wawa you don’t need monster energy drinks and bags of Crisp to survive. There’s a marked difference between someone who walks into Payless and “ exchanges “ their old worn out sneakers with new ones and leaves vs the person who lifts a couple pair of Jordan’s from footlocker to resell later

Spankywanky225 t1_isy07x8 wrote

Leave it to Reddit and this sub to make excuses for people breaking the law

adio1221 t1_isxylzo wrote

Or they can get jobs like normal people

PierogiPowered t1_isxr2zk wrote

>A summary offense can result in retail thieves sitting in prison for 90 days, however, the responsibility of charging people with summary offenses falls onto police officers, Krasner said.

​

Weird that we keep blaming the DA when the police don't seem to want to do their jobs anymore.

Tyrotoxism44 t1_isych2x wrote

No one ever gets jail time for a summary retail theft. At most it’s a fine and restitution for what they stolen.

rovinchick t1_isyw682 wrote

True, but at least restitution would penalize the theif and make the store whole again.

WookieeSteakIsChewie t1_it6x0jx wrote

>restitution would penalize the theif and make the store whole again

Hahahahahahaha

Do you know how many people who are supposed to pay restitution who actually do?

Almost none

rovinchick t1_it6xekp wrote

Of course, but they can have wages and tax refund garnished, which is still better than nothing.

Dat_Boi_Aint_Right t1_it7yiq8 wrote

More than they get when a person is jailed for petty retail theft

WookieeSteakIsChewie t1_it7yyr0 wrote

>If the defendant is given jail time for the crime committed, then 25% of any money earned and 25% of money given to the inmate by friends or family is awarded to the victim as restitution payment.

So, no.

ell0bo t1_it0eofa wrote

>No one ever gets jail time for a summary retail theft

I've been looking for stats on this, I assume you have a link?

−1

Tyrotoxism44 t1_it0fete wrote

Nope. Just extensive personal experience with the criminal justice system. Out of hundreds of summary retail thefts I don’t think I’ve ever seen jail time.

gonzo_attorney t1_it1tev6 wrote

I'll chime in. I'm a public defender in a conservative county and I've never seen anyone get jail time for a summary retail theft. Court costs and restitution.

Rosphindai t1_isza498 wrote

The DA isn't charging anyone for these offenses, the cops know this. It removes their motivation from putting their lives and their jobs on the line when the top prosecutor isn't prosecuting. It starts at the top. Not the other way around: The Fish Stinks From the Head.

ell0bo t1_it0eulq wrote

I love how brittle our cops are that they don't do their job because they're demotivated. Welcome to having a job...

−5

randompaaccount t1_isxvux7 wrote

But but being a cop is hard and scary so we shouldn’t be held accountable for mistakes /s

ThunderySleep t1_isy409h wrote

Because the police spent years explaining that the DA is making their job ineffective by not charging or under charging everyone, letting criminals back out on the streets and making them aware that potential crimes no longer come with punishment. Then Philadelphia ransacked its nicest neighborhoods out of blind hate for the police, then claimed the police committed a "war crime" by trying to stop the crowds from destroying innocent people's neighborhoods.

Then people went ahead and reelected Krasner.

Of course the police won't do their jobs. Why would they? What happens if a criminal fights back and the officer has to use force? They're risking spending the rest of their life in prison if they have to defend themselves or others.

RevHenryMagoo t1_isydu1q wrote

If they don’t want to do their jobs then they should fucking quit.

TreeMac12 t1_isylimz wrote

>they should fucking quit.

They are. They are currently short 1300 officers. Your solution to crime is that 1000 more should quit? How will that work out for the hardest-hit communities?

https://www.police1.com/police-recruiting/articles/philly-pd-is-short-1300-officers-and-the-situation-is-about-to-get-worse-pOUeLq4iMtxELRkt/

RevHenryMagoo t1_isylwe2 wrote

If 1000 more don’t want to do their jobs then YES, they should fucking quit too. What’s the difference between have no police or paying police who don’t do their jobs?

TreeMac12 t1_isytjqh wrote

Likewise, if the DA isn't doing to prosecute, he should step down, too.

RevHenryMagoo t1_isytuny wrote

That’s fine with me, as long as his replacement holds the PPD accountable.

−4

ThunderySleep t1_isymyxi wrote

I kind of wanted to answer that comment about what the difference is if they don't do their job when you left it under my comment: My point was there is no difference, and having them quit is not a logical solution to the problem if the problem is not enough policing.

The solution is to incentivize them to do their job. Or at least not de-incentivize them.

RevHenryMagoo t1_isynp73 wrote

How would you incentivize them, aside from their paychecks and pensions? Also, why do they need to be incentivized when the rest of the world just goes to work and does their jobs? Because if we don’t do our jobs, we get fired. But they don’t. Maybe that’s a problem? Maybe that’s incentive not to work, since there are no repercussions and they collect their money anyway.

ThunderySleep t1_isyp1h0 wrote

When people feel their jobs are meaningless, they're not incentivized to do it well. If their jobs were made ineffective by the DA's office not prosecuting or under-prosecuting, making criminals aware potential crimes no longer come with punishment, their jobs no longer have a purpose. This is exactly what the PPD was pointing out for years with regard to the DA. Rather than listen, people villainized the police, rioted and further villainized them when they came to people's defense, then re-elected the DA with the soft-on crime policies that were making their job ineffective.

Now they're even further villainized by people pointing to them as the problem, when they were trying to point to the real root of the problem for years.

In summary: Stop villainizing police as a whole and prosecute crimes so their policing can have an effect.

RevHenryMagoo t1_isyqyqv wrote

So they won’t arrest because the DA isn’t prosecuting enough? Do they need guarantees that everyone they arrest will be charged, prosecuted, adjudicated and incarcerated? Or maybe their job is to arrest, and regardless of the outcome they should do their jobs. I’m amazed that the police and their apologists have no problem casting themselves as the biggest fucking piss-puddle crybabies in the city. The lack of shame is astounding.

ThunderySleep t1_isyrh20 wrote

> I’m amazed that the police and their apologists have no problem casting themselves as the biggest fucking piss-puddle crybabies in the city.

This is not how grown-ups carry conversation. The lack of self-awareness in the face of the point I'm making is what's astounding here.

RevHenryMagoo t1_isys2c8 wrote

Still can’t explain away why they won’t do their jobs, huh? Other than they need emotional support.

ThunderySleep t1_isys72n wrote

This was all explained to you, bud. Obviously you're not interested in serious discussion. Have a good one.

RevHenryMagoo t1_isyt035 wrote

The day that PPD holds itself accountable I’ll be here for whatever serious discussion you want to have.

karensPA t1_iszjzfn wrote

It’s not true the DA isn’t prosecuting. He’s not eager to convict without this thing called “due process” and “evidence.” This requires that the police do their job in the thoughtful and professional way we expect in a democracy, not just be a bunch of taxpayer-funded thugs knocking heads and racking up arrest numbers with impunity. There are a number of cops who feel this isn’t their job, but they are mistaken.

ThunderySleep t1_iszsmxr wrote

You unironically post in /r/voteDEM and /r/January6.

Obviously I'm not going to deter your bs with reason, I just think it's important that people see that so they don't mistake you for someone chiming in with honest intentions.

karensPA t1_it00v16 wrote

So everyone understands, you think it’s “dishonest” to be a Democrat and to believe January 6th was a violent attempt to overthrow a free and fair election by force, but we should definitely listen to your opinions, which are not at all dishonest. But mostly I’m worried by your interest in splooting squirrels. Are you getting help for that?

ThunderySleep t1_it016cv wrote

Perfect. That's all I want plastered under your comment.

edit: Ah, the old respond and block.

karensPA t1_it05gpp wrote

You’re telling on yourself, friend. Let the adults talk now.

Dat_Boi_Aint_Right t1_it80aby wrote

In case you missed it, Jan 6th was a violent attempt to disrupt the peaceful transition of power.

hayydebb t1_it0td3p wrote

Thanks for pointing out that they have honest intentions and you don’t. And following the playbook of looking through someone’s Reddit history to try and find a gacha instead of having a good point.

drxdrg08 t1_iszb21w wrote

> How would you incentivize them, aside from their paychecks and pensions? Also, why do they need to be incentivized when the rest of the world just goes to work and does their jobs? Because if we don’t do our jobs, we get fired. But they don’t.

It sounds like you work for a paycheck because you can be fired. Because you are replaceable.

Cops generally are not replaceable. All the people that want to be cops in a general geographic area are already cops.

• If you are replaceable = no leverage with the employer

• Not replaceable = you have the upper hand

You've read plenty of Karl Marx. This should be obvious to you.

−3

RevHenryMagoo t1_iszeg5h wrote

You are absolutely correct: PPD have no accountability. You think that’s because they’re exceptional. Your Ayn Rand is showing.

karensPA t1_iszjbwm wrote

There are over 500 out on fake “injuries” so maybe don’t include them.

ScienceWasLove t1_it0b7rp wrote

Source.

karensPA t1_it0fy22 wrote

Alfie Williams, a longtime Philadelphia police officer, answered the front door of his Bucks County home with a navy blue 15th District T-shirt stretched snug across his burly chest.

Since June 10, Williams has been on a weekly list, shared between the Police Department and the District Attorney’s Office, of cops who are unavailable for duty, with what he described as a torn rotator cuff from “lifting a 500-pound dead body.” Williams told a reporter that he could no longer raise his left arm more than two inches because of the injury.

Thanks to Pennsylvania’s Heart and Lung Act, a disability benefit meant mostly for police and firefighters, Williams gets 100% of his $78,092 salary and isn’t required to pay state or federal taxes on it, at least a 20% raise. A Police Department directive, however, prohibits officers who are out with Heart and Lung claims from working any other job in any capacity.

In Williams’ driveway sat a bright blue and white pickup truck, covered with logos and slogans for Exterior Solutions Roofing and Siding. On LinkedIn, Williams has a photo of himself in his police uniform, with the words “Business Owner at Exterior Solutions, LLC.”

ThunderySleep t1_isye6qm wrote

If the problem is lack of policing, how is having no police the solution?

RevHenryMagoo t1_isyefl9 wrote

I said the ones who don’t want to do their jobs should quit. Are you saying that all police are refusing to do their jobs?

ThunderySleep t1_isyfyjd wrote

The premise of the discussion is police aren't doing their jobs. I stated police aren't incentivized to do it, and are actively incentivized not to.

Telling them all to quit from there = no police, according to the premise of this conversation, which isn't a logical solution to the notion there's not enough policing.

Of course you don't want people employed in any position who aren't doing their job. I'm just taking this train of thought to it's logical conclusion.

RevHenryMagoo t1_isygl2f wrote

If they won’t do their jobs, then what’s the difference?

madmanz123 t1_isyuelo wrote

>I stated police aren't incentivized to do it, and are actively incentivized not to

It's called a paycheck. They get those.

BlkSheepKnt t1_isytzlj wrote

No the problem is that theft is the only other option of getting access to resources. Go to a high income area and not only are there no police to be seen but no petty theft on large scale, no riots, and no plastic cases around baby formula.

Making sure everyone's material needs are met means even if they had a sign on the door that said "We will not prosecute shoplifters" wouldn't invite near as much theft if everyone could afford groceries and wasn't in want for anything.

ThunderySleep t1_isyvah4 wrote

A lot of the crime in philadelphia is for shits-and-giggles, particularly among the crowds of teenagers in center city, which were the ones creating most of the havoc at the Wawa locations.

No doubt people occasionally steal out of need, but the notion that crime as a whole is done out of having no other option just isn't true. Plenty of crime is committed out of selfishness, or for thrill, or sometimes out of pure malice.

Most of the havoc at the center city Wawa locations has been teenagers doing it for kicks. The one at Broad and Walnut would have the semi-regular stabbing, for which I don't know the motives, but it didn't seem to be someone hungry needs food.

kellyb1985 t1_it0dovo wrote

Ah yes... All the cops who went to jail. They're literally filled with them /s

Electronic_Chard_270 t1_iszcmm1 wrote

Lol. Ransacked their nicest neighborhoods? You’re off your rocker

−2

ThunderySleep t1_iszs2vr wrote

So we're at revising history now?

Electronic_Chard_270 t1_iszvuvl wrote

When’s the last time you’ve been to the city? That areas fine and was hardly ‘ransacked’. You’re just being fed copaganda

ThunderySleep t1_iszy9cv wrote

That's a blatant lie. The entire main strip of Walnut St was torn apart, Chestnut hit as well, multiple police cars burned in CC, fires still going the next morning. Then you guys moved on to more neighborhoods after you ransacked rittenhouse.

There's video of it... Why even bother lying? This is dumber than nazis claiming the Holocaust didn't happen. We literally have video and news documentation of these events. It was only a couple years ago.

Electronic_Chard_270 t1_iszzlt6 wrote

I’m not saying it did not happen. I’m saying that was 2 years ago and the areas it happened in are fine. Really dude the holocaust? Don’t be hyperbolic

ThunderySleep t1_it00abn wrote

Your historical revision is the same thing, except dumber since there's video evidence of it and it was only two years ago.

> I’m saying that was 2 years ago and the areas it happened in are fine

You just moved the goal post from "It didn't happen" to "the areas have recovered".

The original comment is laying out a timeline of events spanning back years. The riots were a pivotal part of that. Now you're trying to say "you're not allowed to mention it because it was two years ago"? It's a part of the timeline for why PPD is the way they are today.

Electronic_Chard_270 t1_it013lc wrote

Absolutely pivotal man, you’re completely right. I forgot the PPD only started being shitty right around that time.

ThunderySleep t1_it01dxx wrote

I laid out a timeline in the comment you responded to. What point are you even trying to make here?

Your first reply was an attempt at historical revisionism. That didn't work out. What's the purpose of this one?

Electronic_Chard_270 t1_it027mh wrote

My point is you’re thesis about why the PPD doesn’t do their job is simply wrong. They’ve been shitty for a long long time, it has nothing to do with the DA or June 2020. Those are scapegoats to pass the blame. They get more money than any other agency in city government and they’re incompetent.

ThunderySleep t1_it02n4z wrote

How's it wrong?

You've had several comments now and the best you've got is a terrible attempt at historical revisionism which you immediately, thankfully, went back on, followed by "you're wrong!".

It's like I'm talking to a five year old.

−1

Electronic_Chard_270 t1_it041rl wrote

Do you believe the PPD was an effective agency before June of 2020 and before Krasner? Murder clearance rates sure suggest otherwise. What’s happening with the PPD has been going on for years. That is how you’re wrong. You try to blame a complicated problem on two things that happened. It’s simply not accurate

ThunderySleep t1_it05p85 wrote

Nobody's discussing whether or not the PPD has always been perfect.

You've already hit your limit on moving goalposts for the day.

This thread is discussing the Wawa closures and the increased in crime in philly over the past few years. The comment you chimed in on is discussing the current state of PPD and why they don't seem to be doing their job.

shanks16 t1_it0orit wrote

What if the DA doesn’t want to prosecute summary and misdemeanor charges ?

PierogiPowered t1_it21v7n wrote

You can’t really use the diversion programs for first time offenders and prosecute repeat offenders if no one is ever arrested.

Krasner can’t do his job (or in your view, fail to do his job) if the police stop doing their job first.

shanks16 t1_it2cfoe wrote

Have to disagree, as the top law enforcement official he should lead by example. Everything else rolls down hill. Probably one of the worst DAs around. He allows the lawlessness.

timewellwasted5 t1_it0pwdg wrote

It’s weird, just two summers ago we were treating police officer so well. The image of the Pennsylvania State police car in Philadelphia on fire while they trooper stands in front of it doused in paint from the protesters sticks out in my mind. It’s amazing that these individuals, who are so clearly valued by society, are now stepping away from the professional altogether. It’s almost like shitting all over an entire profession had negative ramifications. It’s (D)efinitely interesting times in Philly.

PierogiPowered t1_it22djz wrote

I’m unaware of any police organizations pushing for reforms to improve their image with the communities they serve.

If the bad apples are more important than serving the community, what do you expect?

ThunderySleep t1_it35k0v wrote

Your comment is just making stuff up.

There are constant new policies and reforms from police departments all over the country in the past few years, particularly Philadelphia PD.

royalpain88 t1_it12y8p wrote

Bad guys flash mob a store. Police do their job. Peeps are freed seemingly within moments. City burns, spits, tosses piss bottles at Police. Police quit. Surprised pikachu face as bad guys rob stores again. Repeat but with less police.

bludstone t1_it22g9s wrote

call it a food desert and white flight and blame whitey.

cmb8129 t1_it1q04s wrote

Stop voting for Democrats.

_Abobo t1_it23nk2 wrote

In what other world would the incompetence of Phillys criminal justice system be tolerated.

Can you imagine any shareholder meeting where marketing blames engineering, engineering blames marketing, the ceo says other companies have similar problems. How is it remotely acceptable for this to happen without any accountability while peoples lives and livelihoods are on the line.

Solve the problem, assholes. instead of putting on another press conference, sit down with each other and come up with a plan or get the fuck out of the way for people that will.

angelsarepresent111 t1_it0z2q7 wrote

That's why we have 7/11 and Royal Farms here in Baltimore...to siphon off all of the crime away from the decent Wawa's.

Kind-Designer-5763 t1_isym1bb wrote

Philly doesn't deserve WAWA, go to Kensington and eat chrystal meth

−5