Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Middle_Aged_Mayhem t1_ixrdmyr wrote

There haven't been in person toll pay in PA for a while now. It's pay by EZ pass or by license plate.

tacticalassassin t1_ixre07z wrote

Well that’s concerning. I and several others paid cash when we drove through the toll booths

Middle_Aged_Mayhem t1_ixre2j1 wrote

How long ago was this?

tacticalassassin t1_ixrelng wrote

This was October 2022

Middle_Aged_Mayhem t1_ixres0b wrote

Yes, I'm pretty sure they went cashless back in 2020 and never went back to it.

tacticalassassin t1_ixrfhsb wrote

Then who was I paying cash to? Was I being scammed? I wouldn’t have been able to get through the toll booth otherwise

MomsSpecialFriend t1_ixrmtew wrote

I think you were in Ohio where there are $3 tolls. We don’t have them, you would have remembered paying $40.

tacticalassassin t1_ixros39 wrote

That sounds correct. I think my confusion lies around the transition from OH to PA turnpike

CrazyOkie t1_ixs2jh0 wrote

yeah, exactly this. And, we don't have anything to prevent you from driving right through the toll booth

Middle_Aged_Mayhem t1_ixrftne wrote

Why couldn't you just drive through? Pa tollbooths don't have anything keeping you from driving right through. They just have lights telling you to stop or go.

woodsywoodducks t1_ixrjjm0 wrote

Are you sure you aren’t thinking of the Ohio toll stations? You do have to stop there and pay cash.

DespicableDaddy t1_ixrvugk wrote

Down 276 there is plate tolls. Unless u have Ezpass u get it in the mail

msginbtween t1_ixrmp6z wrote

I saw cars lined up to pay cash on my way back from New Jersey on 276 at the “start” of the PA turnpike just yesterday.

Middle_Aged_Mayhem t1_ixrn0fv wrote

Must have been the Jersey side because Pa is all cashless. https://www.paturnpike.com/all-electronic-tolling

msginbtween t1_ixrnd5q wrote

Nope. Was on the PA side. Just after you get over the Delaware bridge heading westbound.

−7

Middle_Aged_Mayhem t1_ixrnpkt wrote

I just went through that toll on Saturday. No people in the booths. No toll collection at all.

msginbtween t1_ixro3jd wrote

I don’t know what to tell ya. This was just yesterday. There was two lanes of 20 or so cars lined up to pay the toll. I was in the ez-pass lane that goes fast and around and saw all these cars lined up paying cash.

−6

rcos152 t1_ixrrjnx wrote

I went through there too, they sometimes use that pull off for weight checks on trucks but they definitely no longer take cash at those booths. No one was in line when I passed through yesterday morning.

CodeGreige t1_ixru0p0 wrote

If you are talking about a bridge, that’s different.

freshoilandstone t1_ixrhceh wrote

This is a bullshit story and I don't know why you're sticking to it unless you're doing it just for shits and giggles. Pennsylvania hasn't had manned booths or gates for a couple years.

Fine_With_It_All t1_ixrixsa wrote

I could see this possibly happen at one exit but not multiple on the same day. Either the OP is delusional or it’s total bullshit or OP was not on the Pa turnpike

tacticalassassin t1_ixrhxx3 wrote

What reason do I have to make up a story? I’m not from Pennsylvania and I don’t normally use the turnpike so I don’t know how it’s supposed to work. It seemed strange to me that I was getting charged in person and then again by “toll by plate” so I asked the question.

−6

Kneedeep_in_Cyanide t1_ixrgjqg wrote

When when the turnpike was accepting cash you didn't pay getting on. You picked up a ticket at the dispenser that marked your entrance and you paid your fee when you got off. The fee is based on how far you traveled.

You say you're from out of state. Did you come over into PA from the NJ Toll Bridge? That $3 you paid cash was most likely a bridge toll not the Turnpike

tacticalassassin t1_ixrh767 wrote

Correct, I paid when I got off the turnpike each time. I probably got off 3 or 4 times.

I was coming from Ohio so it wasn’t the bridge

issabrnt t1_ixrimyt wrote

Not sure if it’ll help but the Ohio/Pennsylvania border still has cash booths. It’s $2 in/out. If you paid at that toll and then continued on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, you’d still have a PA toll to pay since the rest of the turnpike is all cashless.

Edit: some grammar mistakes

bengenj t1_ixrl0el wrote

Ohio still has cash toll booths along with EZPass. You likely paid the Ohio toll. PA is toll-by-plate only.

Kneedeep_in_Cyanide t1_ixrlr5b wrote

But again, the PA Turnpike toll is not a flat fee. It's per distance and always has been. That $3 you paid was not your fee for traveling the PA Turnpike. Was that booth at Ohio the only one that you were charged at?

scottawhit t1_ixrcobe wrote

They haven’t been accepting tolls at booths for awhile now. Who did you pay? As far as I understand these days it’s ez pass or the plate thing. $40 sounds about right. The turnpike is straight robbery. $6 is like 1/2 mile.

tacticalassassin t1_ixrdr3l wrote

There were people in all the booths at the ezpass stations. Since I don’t have ezpass I took the cash only section along with several others in front of and behind me.

−2

AntaresBounder t1_ixrg6nf wrote

There is no “cash” section at any PA toll booths on the turnpike.

tacticalassassin t1_ixrgqbc wrote

Correct. This was when I got off the turnpike. There was a gate stopping people and someone was there taking cash

−2

WookieeSteakIsChewie t1_ixriabm wrote

Yeah I don't believe this story at all unless you fell in from another universe.

tacticalassassin t1_ixrjggo wrote

I came in via Ohio could that have something to do with it? Like I said I don’t use toll roads on a regular basis

spinfire t1_ixrm7dy wrote

Ohio has gates and actual toll booths still. You probably paid Ohio.

dclxvi616 t1_ixrjr87 wrote

There are no gates to put down at the booths as there's no reason to stop the vehicles and in fact they want you to 'KEEP MOVING' as is so generously plastered on every variation of sign.

nowordsleft t1_ixrlko3 wrote

You were not at a PA toll booth if there was someone in it taking cash. PA hasn't had cash booths since covid hit.

mcvoid1 t1_ixrdhr0 wrote

Yeah, you just paid some random stranger. They don't collect tolls in person anymore.

tacticalassassin t1_ixrdwr6 wrote

Is it common for people to go out and sit in the booths and scam cash from people? Because I wasn’t the only one going through the booths and paying cash

mcvoid1 t1_ixremii wrote

No idea. I haven't seen it before.

tacticalassassin t1_ixretkk wrote

I went through on the first weekend of October. There were people sitting in the booths with the gates down collecting cash and allowing people through.

reganmcneal t1_ixrfoyg wrote

That’s really strange because they got rid of cash pay a few years ago due to Covid

gslavik t1_ixrg40j wrote

202 bridge from NJ to PA has people in booths collecting cash.

InsaneAss t1_ixrgw6o wrote

Wouldn’t that be an NJ toll?

gslavik t1_ixrhn7m wrote

Tools like this are usually run by both states together through a newly created entity.

That same toll bridge has ez pass as well. No reason it has to be special if EZ pass can collect everything in an automated fashion.

Valuable-Pipe-3722 t1_ixrnttu wrote

Stop debating this with know-it-alls and pick up the phone. Sorry to comment so many times but this post is not getting you anywhere

tacticalassassin t1_ixrob59 wrote

So it would seem. I’m Going to call on Monday. I appreciate the help regardless. I’m thinking it is something to do with the transition from Ohio turnpike to PA turnpike

issabrnt t1_ixrj5fx wrote

I added this as a reply to someone else but adding as top level comment as well.

Not sure if it’ll help but the Ohio/Pennsylvania border still has cash booths. It’s $2 in/out for cars. If you paid at that toll and then continued on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, you’d still have a PA toll to pay since the rest of the turnpike is all cashless and would’ve used your plate for the toll.

duckme69 t1_ixrj3z0 wrote

https://www.paturnpike.com/responsibility-matters/covid-19-information

So the PA turnpike has not had manned toll-booths for almost 3 years now. The only manned booths are at state crossings(like the bridges from NJ to PA). Not saying you’re story is BS, but you most certainly dont have to pay $3 in cash to reenter the road if you exit. Also no PA toll booth will stop you from going through anymore. This is very mysterious to me.

tacticalassassin t1_ixrpn1x wrote

Thanks for the help y’all. I think my confusion has to do with the transition from OH turnpike to PA turnpike. I likely paid the Ohio tolls in person and lost track of the change over when I got into PA. I don’t drive toll roads too often so I appreciate everyone helping me understand the system a bit better.

colormeslowly t1_ixrkqpj wrote

Most, if not all, booths don’t have a “toll arm”, the signs say “keep moving”

1. Do you remember a toll arm?
  2. Do you remember the road? I-76, 43, etc?

If you paid cash & are now getting an invoice, (if you hadn’t already), contact pa turnpike

By Phone

1-877-736-6727

For agent assistance with E-ZPass or Toll By Plate issues: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

For agent assistance with general inquiries or permit questions: Monday - Friday 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

If you got scammed, they need to know. Most, if not all, booths have cameras - this is how you were found. They can investigate where you paid & if you should’ve paid.

Hope this helps.

tacticalassassin t1_ixrpwru wrote

Thank you for the well written response. I was planning on calling Monday regardless due to the holiday. I think my confusion came from the transition from OH to PA turnpike.

RipTide275 t1_ixrh4mf wrote

Are you sure you weren’t in Kentucky?

tacticalassassin t1_ixrhgf5 wrote

Yeah, I came through via Ohio

Jws106 t1_ixrji57 wrote

You pay a toll when exiting the Ohio turnpike and then a separate toll shortly after in Pennsylvania and it is toll by plate or ez pass. Maybe you’re thinking of the toll at the end of the Ohio turnpike?

rcos152 t1_ixrk3dl wrote

I take the turnpike all the time for work, never along the 76 highways is there anyone taking cash. That includes 276, 476 and 376. Other states may as you leave, like someone else mentioned, NJ is $4 now to leave their state and if you are crossing onto the PA turnpike, it'll look like that should be the toll but then you'll have the PA booths or arches further down. The States been toll by plate since covid and laid off all their booth workers.... they've been slowly removing the booths for the fast arches.

Valuable-Pipe-3722 t1_ixrmo15 wrote

Just pick up the phone and call the agency the toll came from. I’m sure there’s a phone number on the bill you received in the mail. This post seems like an unnecessary step in attempting to solve your problem/confusion, with everyone caught up on whether or not the turnpike has manned toll booths.

tacticalassassin t1_ixrp8zv wrote

Yeah I figured I might be able to get my question answered quick here since it’s the holiday. Regardless I was planning to call first thing on Monday.

defusted t1_ixrng0n wrote

I'm not sure who you have money to my man but there haven't been toll workers since 2020. Penndot laid them all off at the beginning of the pandemic. They had been planning this for a long time, the pandemic just sped things up.

No-Setting9690 t1_ixrobkn wrote

I think as others have commented, you have mistaken this for the PA turnpike system. You were probably paying "tolls" from other states to enter/leave that state.
PA has never had a flat amount either, that sounds like NJ/OH thin. We are the most expensive toll road in the world, trust us, $3 don't get you far on the turnpike.

tacticalassassin t1_ixroktr wrote

Yeah I’m thinking my confusion lies around the transition from the OH to PA Turnpike. I’m going to call on Monday

No-Setting9690 t1_ixrqgjq wrote

It happens. It's not always easy to find when you cross, especially in heavy traffic. If you're doing a long drive, it makes it even easier to forgot or notice you're in a new state.

tacticalassassin t1_ixrquns wrote

Exactly. I was many hours into a long drive after an already long day while also dealing with a quickly worsening mechanical failure. Add that to the traffic and hauling a trailer and It’s safe to say that keeping track of tolls and state crossings weren’t the highest on my priority list 😂

No-Setting9690 t1_ixrrgg8 wrote

I delivered brand new box trucks and semis when I was in college. In the northeast, many roads look the same. Not only is it easy to forget or not know which state you're in, but you can easily miss exists.
In reality, same goes for many highways in parts of the country. You become numb to it and just drive.

Stunning_Band2094 t1_ixrrqqq wrote

I made mistakes but I called , all was forgiven. Pleased with results.

GravityzCatz t1_ixrxq9l wrote

If you paid your fee at the booth and you were coming from out of state, what probably happened was you paid at a booth at the boarder and were paying to exit the OH turnpike. Then as you crossed into PA, they snapped a pic of your plate for using the PA turnpike because we haven't had any in person booths in years.

Schwarz-Adler t1_ixrg856 wrote

Did you get a receipt? Even if it was a scammer or smthing if you have some proof of paying you could send them that. Maybe get an investigation going idk

tacticalassassin t1_ixrgzsx wrote

I’ll have to look back through my papers but it’s been so long ago now that I likely threw it away

That_Checks t1_ixrgzkp wrote

https://www.paturnpike.com/toll-calculator is where you can see what the toll should have cost you, which is likely the bill you received in the mail. Regarding the cash transaction, can you provide more details on what booths this was?

tacticalassassin t1_ixrhexj wrote

I checked that and the $40 looks to be accurate. I’m just wondering what the $3 each time I got off the turnpike was for.

I’ll have to go back and see what toll booths I got off at. I probably got off 3 or 4 times

Valuable-Pipe-3722 t1_ixrnd7y wrote

Call the number on your bill and stop trying to sort this out based on Reddit comments. It’s frankly a ridiculous way to solve your problem

cutiecat565 t1_ixri06g wrote

Where did you come from? There's a cash bridge from NJ to PA? Otherwise everything in the state is pay by ez pass or mail.

axeville t1_ixroitm wrote

Not sure which is the bigger scam. Random letter in the mail "you owe me $40" or guy on the side of the road "that's three bucks have a nice day".

Or just the idea of a toll on roads in the 21st century like everyone doesn't benefit from the delivery of people goods commerce etc. e tolling sounds nice but what a waste of resources to track it all.