Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

LurkersWillLurk t1_iy8fgyv wrote

You can have one or the other but not both

jackNexRed t1_iy8mugr wrote

Full-time students from out of state don’t need to formally change residency status to PA. If you have an apartment lease instead of college-provided housing, it gets complicated

SBRH33 t1_iy8ufjh wrote

You keep yer home state ID in college if you are from out of state... unless you want to become a resident of the state where you are going to college at.

The only quasi state ID you will get is the college issued campus ID.

It isn't very complicated. Its basic state law.

PM_Me_Your_WorkFiles t1_iy8o1r1 wrote

As a college student you kind of have the option to state either as your residence - if you are currently employees/earning money it may be better to stay in Texas (no income tax). Otherwise, just pick the one that your vote matters more for.

There may be car insurance implications too, and if your car is registered in Texas you probably want to keep your Texas drivers license. In fact, if you have a car with you in college you should probably just stick with Texas license as registering in PA is a hassle and you have to renew and pass inspection annually (I think Texas is every two years).

Getting a PA drivers license when you have a valid Texas license is super easy, just bring the license and your birth certificate and two letters or utility bills addressed to your current PA address to the PennDOT office near you and you’ll be in and out with a new license in 30 minutes.

queensekhmet t1_iy8rbeg wrote

Okay, and yeah my car is registered in TX. I had to renew it not too long before I moved. And I just got a new car insurance policy based in TX so I don't really want to have to get a new DL until my current registration expires.

Really, I just wanted to get a PA ID in the meantime to be able to get medical marijuana.

PM_Me_Your_WorkFiles t1_iy8vxlz wrote

Upvoting for your honesty. Just FYI the total cost of the stuff I mentioned: License: $30 Registration: $120-$250 (PA has independent shops do it and what they charge varies) Emissions+Safety inspection: $40-100 annually (same deal as with registration, where you live affects this cost a lot) Re-registering annually: $39

It’s a lot of money (not including the cost of the medical card) - if you happen to be going to college in Philly, it’s decriminalized here and you’re not gonna get in trouble just smoking outside (regardless of medical or not, driving high or smoking in your car is illegal).

Also, someone I know has medical and it’s really expensive at the shop and comes way too dried out. Wishing you luck!

laughingmeeses t1_iy8ow22 wrote

Is this some kind of janky dodge from law enforcement?

queensekhmet t1_iy8rzbp wrote

Lmao no. I just want to get a medical card without having to change my DL and car insurance.

laughingmeeses t1_iy8s8zc wrote

Medicaid?

queensekhmet t1_iy8sc2n wrote

No, medical marijuana.

laughingmeeses t1_iy8siig wrote

You're going to have to get a fresh script. No way around that one.

queensekhmet t1_iy8spws wrote

Well I already got approved for it. I just didn't realize at the time that you had to have a Pennsylvania ID. I thought I could just show my apt lease or a bill to prove residency. Oh well.

laughingmeeses t1_iy8tk8b wrote

Need for marijauna is state based. Generally scripts are recognized but you're in some funny territory. You will probably have to see a doctor in PA and again, justify your need.

Don't be surprised if the doctor gives or prescribes something different.

put_it_in_the_air t1_iy8yvov wrote

How did you get approved? You need to have a PA drivers license or ID to first register in the program - ie: you need to be a resident. That has to happen before you can get certified by a physician. You would need to change residency in order to qualify.

https://www.pa.gov/guides/pennsylvania-medical-marijuana-program/

queensekhmet t1_iy8zi5d wrote

I used one of those online companies that a friend here told me he used when he moved. It was like a 2 minute phone call where I basically just told the doctor I have anxiety and insomnia and he was like ok, you're approved. It was a little unsettling actually, I could tell he did not give a f at all and just wanted to be on his way.

put_it_in_the_air t1_iy90jbi wrote

Something doesn't smell right here. They should have been making sure you were registered on the PA portal (https://padohmmp.custhelp.com/app/login) already. No account there, no way for them to approve you for the program as there is no way for the state to assign a medical card #. Sounds like they were just happy to make their money though. You might want to take this over to one of the 2 PA medical marijuana subs: r/paMedicalMarijuana and/or r/TheRealPAMMJ

reverendsteveii t1_iy8zz6j wrote

Slightly off topic but can I ask what company you used? Also, did you have any previous diagnoses for anxiety or insomnia?

queensekhmet t1_iy906od wrote

It's called FadeMD. And I do have previous diagnoses for anxiety and insomnia but they didn't ask for any paperwork proving that or anything.

SBRH33 t1_iy8wdq0 wrote

If you are living in one state and driving a car registered and insured in a different state you are committing insurance fraud.

States have residency laws and it gets complicated when you bring a car into the mix as an out of state college student.

You need to get a PA DL and have yer vehicle registered and insured in PA.

This can catch up with you if you are ever stopped or get into a traffic accident, especially if yer in Philly where insurance rates are through the roof.

queensekhmet t1_iy8x776 wrote

Well our insurance rep is aware that I am currently living out of state and said it is no problem since I am here to go to school. Where it really gets complicated though, is that I'm here for grad school and realistically don't know if I will be returning to TX after I graduate. So I do want to change my residency to PA eventually, but since I just got my car registered before I moved, I figured I could wait. Then we needed new car insurance so I also just got a new car insurance policy (based in TX).

The thing I guess I wasn't clear on was whether or not getting a state ID card would impact your DL..I thought since they aren't the same thing, and since I have a PA address, I could have both. But I see now how that is incorrect.

SBRH33 t1_iy9bufg wrote

True'ish

To clarify. If you wanted the PA MM Card you would have to establish residency there. This would trigger the PA residency requirements pertaining to your vehicle etcetera.

If you keep your legal address as yer parents address while attending college then nothing needs to he changed regarding insurance or registrations.

> Students who stay on campus year-round. Students who live on campus for the entire year instead of just during the school year may need to talk to their state’s DMV and their insurance company to see if any modifications to the vehicle’s registration or insurance policy are necessary.

glitch83 t1_iy8uqju wrote

Why? Id pick a state and go with it.

That_Girl_Cray t1_iy8wq4g wrote

So technically you're not suppose to have both. When you go to get the new ID they're suppose to take the old one. But when I moved back to PA after living in DE for several years went to update my license. They didn't take my DE license. ( I don't know if it was in error or what). So I still have both.

[deleted] OP t1_iy8e0s1 wrote

[deleted]

−6

queensekhmet t1_iy8ehlg wrote

Well the thing is, I still have TX car insurance, at least for the next year, so I can't really change my DL until I get a new insurance plan. But I also would like to get medical marijuana here and need a state ID for that. As far as voting, I ended up doing an absentee ballot in TX this year but plan to vote in PA for future elections (I wasn't able to get registered in PA in time for this past election).

[deleted] OP t1_iy8fmel wrote

[deleted]

queensekhmet t1_iy8l8v6 wrote

Well the rules for that are a little murky when you are residing in a new state to go to college. Technically, I can still be considered a TX resident since I'm just here for school. But I will want to officially change my residency eventually.

theyeoftheiris t1_iy8g584 wrote

You can't get insurance or register your car here without a PA DL.

If you paid up front for the whole year, you might be able to transfer to an agent in PA or get a refund if you cancel the policy early.

Insurance is kind of a wishy washy thing. I wouldn't tie yourself to Texas just for insurance.

whuckfistle t1_iy8qamd wrote

The PA medical marijuana is for PA residents only I’m afraid. You’d have to change everything over. Residency, drivers license, car insurance & title. And you’d need proof of residency for PennDOT to give you a license, so I’m not sure how that would look for you. I’m a patient in the medical program so DM me if you have questions.

queensekhmet t1_iy8roqm wrote

Thanks so much for your reply. I think I'm probably just going to wait until my car's TX registration expires and then go ahead and get new insurance and a PA DL. Guess I'll have to hold off on getting a medical card for now.

queensekhmet t1_iy8eql1 wrote

I have seen this website though. But it states that to get a photo ID in PA you have to surrender your previous DL, which just seems a little weird to me.

−4

patrickoh37 t1_iy8jah2 wrote

That is common in any state you move to. I’ve had to do it in five states.

theyeoftheiris t1_iy8kixm wrote

I promise you that most states make you surrender your license now. I don't think they did like 10 years ago but most of them do now. You get a temporary paper license or one is printed on the spot depending on the state--not sure about PA.

queensekhmet t1_iy8qtfh wrote

Yeah I haven't gotten a new license in a while and don't remember them taking my old one or punching a hole in it. Guess that's just the norm now. And I guess I just figured they wouldn't have you surrender your old DL for a state ID, since they're not the same thing. Thanks everyone for your responses and help though.

qu33r0saurus t1_iy8nd03 wrote

You can only have one valid ID at a time. They give you your old id card back, but punch a hole through it.

If you’re here for college then you’d still be considered a permanent resident of Texas.

drewbaccaAWD t1_iy8w3v7 wrote

It's par for the course, you can only have one official residence and you can't physically live in two places at once. It's not like a dual citizenship across two countries where you pay taxes to both, states require you to be a resident of just one.

You can live in another state and keep your registration, plates, license, etc. if it's a temporarily thing... students, military, etc. but outside of those situations, ANY state, note just PA, would require you to change everything over within some timeline.

When you "surrender" your previous DL, they just punch a hole in it and give it back to you. Although I do agree that it's a bit antiquated now that all 50 states are on board with the REAL ID driver's license thing, so it's now a federal database. But it made sense to require this back when 50 states all handled their licensing differently... if someone didn't meet the qualifications in one state but did in another, honoring another state's laws can undermine your own state's laws.. you see it with other things outside of drivers licensing, like whether or not states honor another state's concealed carry for guns or whatever. The entire point is to be able to enforce your own laws and regulations when someone new relocates on a permanent basis.

Sometimes you just have to change it if you want something, in your case MM. I had to change mine over while living in WA so that I could get in-state tuition while I was there in the military (although states have since changed their laws regarding instate tuition for military/vets). Regarding your vehicle registration, you may want to look into that... it's usually a two out of three sort of thing where you don't have to change everything over. I don't recall my specific scenario now but I was legally ok to keep my car plates in PA when I lived in WA despite changing my license and my state of record for insurance purposes.