Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Honor_Harrington_ t1_iyoan5e wrote

Here’s a newspaper article from a few years back:

http://insidepamagazine.com/index.php/2019/10/31/historic-monroe-mill-sits-silent-looking-for-new-life/

These types of gristmills were extremely common across rural Pennsylvania. If I had to guess, I’d say this version dates to sometime between 1850-1870, although this style of mill architecture was popular for a long time. I’m mostly just basing that date on the lintels, window patterns, and eaves. It’s likely it was built on the foundation of the original, as that was common to do at that time.

WhaddyaMeanNoPudding OP t1_iyobn9c wrote

Thank you!

fallowcentury t1_iyoitvs wrote

your next step is to buy it for back taxes, bring in outside investors, begin distilling PA corn mash whiskey, hire a few decent, local imaginative chefs and you're in business.

throwtowards69420lol t1_iyrpfur wrote

Hey OP I'm a selinsgrove local. Just wanted to chime in. That mill was actually a chinchilla farm at one point!

hoov3r707 t1_iyotlnj wrote

This is directly across from Heimbach’s Country Store on Mill road. Pretty sure it’s an old mill of some kind, not sure much more than that. I grew up in Selinsgrove and used to access Penn’s creek right behind this building.

TRJF t1_iyp1mmp wrote

Me too, used to go down and catch fish by the old Humpback Bridge. Am I making this up, or was that whole wall in the pic covered with ivy for a long time?

Steelplate7 t1_iyqtwkt wrote

Psssst….Camelback…

EDIT: yeah…I think it was. I can’t remember which side(creek or road) it was covered. But now? There’s a UUUUGE Trump sign on the road side.

imamunster123 t1_iyrwlzb wrote

I'm from Selinsgrove and was so confused that I didn't recognize it until you said it's the one across from Heimbach's, then I immediately realized what building it was haha. Spent a lot of time putting in and getting out of kayaks there.

WhaddyaMeanNoPudding OP t1_iyo2bg8 wrote

I passed by the building the other day and I am wondering what it is, it is a 3 or 4 story tall building with broken windows and with a door on each floor. The image shows two doors being missing but it was passed earlier this week it had the two doors. Any information on what this may be is appreciated, thanks.

breich t1_iypqo8k wrote

It's current function is to prop up shitty political signs. Go up the road past the old green house to see even shittier, more mentally ill political signs!

hufarted-me t1_iyqvf6q wrote

No shit. There’s a real fruitcake. I tried to get township zoning to do something about it once but they’re either too scared of a 1A suit or they agree with him, because they won’t do shit about it.

breich t1_iyqx5m0 wrote

I always figure he's free to use his property to let the world know he's unwell. That's his right. Won't stop me from fantasizing about running that sign over with my truck every time I travel route 204

Own-Rabbit-9061 t1_iyomv10 wrote

Love this building. There are quite a few in this area that intrigue me.

jayprov t1_iypc6s1 wrote

It was called App’s Mill, and it was doing pretty well until a few years ago, when someone crashed a car into it. That was never repaired, and I’m worried that it’s not being taken care of anymore.

Tall-dAd-9789 t1_iyo380v wrote

Get the address from it and do a Google search. I also like to run addresses in newspapers.com if you have an account for historical info.

LowNo5584 t1_iyoq076 wrote

It's a long Mill Road behind the airport. Used to be a mill of sorts.

Mutant_Xj t1_iyq1rtc wrote

I drive by there a lot going to the mall.

Steelplate7 t1_iyqu84d wrote

How about all the construction for the bypass? I can’t wait till that’s finished and the Strip will be not such a nightmare.

Mutant_Xj t1_iyrhr0q wrote

I've been waiting for that bypass for decades! I avoided buying a house I liked in Norry because of how bad their traffic gets during rush hours. And I used to commute to Harrisburg for work every day for years. It'll be so nice to finally cut the excess traffic out of 11/15.

Steelplate7 t1_iyrkvex wrote

I hear you…and I think it will be an economic boon to the area in the intermediate/long term.

MCRNRearAdmiral t1_iyqa7kl wrote

Driving out of Selinsgrove we passed something that closely resembles this along with some other buildings and I immediately told my 8 yo how important it was that we made good time back as this was Selinsgrove’s notorious Werewolf Region.

She immediately called BS, but then kept looking around and started in with “Dad, you’re making up that, right? There’s no werewolves, right?”

CommodorePerson t1_iyqqm12 wrote

I would love to take one of these older mills and convert it into a bed and breakfast

Steelplate7 t1_iyquchx wrote

There is one about 7-8 miles away from this one(Globe Mills) that is being demolished. It’s kind of sad.

CommodorePerson t1_iyquh3v wrote

Is there anything salvageable? My family has a 1700’s farmhouse so there’s some stuff we need

Steelplate7 t1_iyqumvf wrote

No, it’s damn near down to the Steel girders. I pass it every day on my way home from work.

EDIT: reread your post…actually? I think they are being very careful in the deconstruction. I don’t know the company that’s doing the work, but they may just be stripping it for resale/repurposing.

DingusPrincess t1_iyr6dux wrote

I really love the farm equipment auction. They have up the road.

jbot14 t1_iypfdxi wrote

New highway will likely be passing right near this, gonna be a lot noisier pretty soon. There are a couple similar mills to this up around Lewisburg too...