Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

[deleted] t1_jc2x0o5 wrote

When are we going to usher in the new "Weed, beer, and oreos" stage of RI prepper life?

It's already been happening for some of us for a few years now.

Suspiciousmeatloaf94 t1_jc320gc wrote

10/10 would recommend getting caught in a blizzard with this guy

[deleted] t1_jc33cz5 wrote

haha snoop my post history - you wont be disappointed.

soupkitchen3rd t1_jc3cgjt wrote

Not disappointed at all. I’ve got some purple competing with what you got my guy.

[deleted] t1_jc3d2lc wrote

legit, fire up some pics! /r/nugs would love it

soupkitchen3rd t1_jc3wgpd wrote

I tried…way harder to take than I expected. I’ll give it a shot in a bit with some lights

[deleted] t1_jc3y51t wrote

[deleted]

soupkitchen3rd t1_jc3za7a wrote

hmm I'll give that a shot with some leds I use for videos. Should be fun! I'll be honest, no idea how I ended up here on this post but hey....here we are.

[deleted] t1_jc514x2 wrote

worst you can do is post a bunch of stuff that gets downvoted -- it's interesting what others do/don't like.

purple is universal appeal though. prepare for haters (and a slew of very nice comments too) lol

Chevymetal1974 t1_jc38pls wrote

I thought it was beer and toilet paper nowadays?

[deleted] t1_jc38u92 wrote

People still buy toilet paper in a store? I thought we all switched to bulk mail order after seeing what happened during the pandemic.

RicochetRed t1_jc4g2u2 wrote

I buy a massive box from Amazon every few months. It's like 48 rolls.

frustratedmachinist t1_jc3ra8u wrote

I wish i could participate. I am not looking forward to driving to Bristol at 530am tomorrow. I’d easier be playing video games, blasting music, and ripping the bong all day long.

[deleted] t1_jc2vgn8 wrote

[deleted]

Chance_Bad_7437 t1_jc321sd wrote

What are you gonna do without milk and bread if the power goes out?!?!?!!?

imuniqueaf t1_jc3xqqh wrote

Food can last a pretty long time in the fridge if you don't open it too much. You can also take the ice bin (if you have ice) and place it inside the fridge.

oftcrash t1_jc3246c wrote

Amounts just dropped to 3-5 inches now.

What sucks is that I actually do need milk and bread. Bah, forget that. The kid can have a peanut butter and jelly tortilla for lunch.

Different_Lettuce850 t1_jc3q33l wrote

its like so embarrassing to actually need milk or bread on storm prep day i want to inform ppl "i actually really just ran out of bread its a coincidence!!!"

askme_if_im_a_chair t1_jc33ehj wrote

Is this ever going to go away? I've lived on my own for a while now and not once have I gotten the urge to buy milk and bread before a storm

citrus_mystic t1_jc38rvz wrote

Not joking, I think this is kind of a trauma response. This phenomena started after the blizzard of ‘78 and everyone who lived through that instilled a need for bread and milk during storms upon their children; along with stories of being snowed in for days.

I don’t think this will go away as long as the reputation of that blizzard continues to live on in the memories of those who experienced it.

Riff_Raff66 t1_jc39yi3 wrote

I was 11 when that storm hit. I'm the youngest of 8 kids and my mother was the person who had racks of canned goods and all sorts of other goodies in the basement. Also a full size freezer full of meats and such. It was like Stop and Shop down there. We did pretty well during that storm

CammiKit t1_jc3m25l wrote

My dad was a kid during the blizzard of ‘78.

Before I moved out, our blizzard shopping trips weren’t bread and milk. We got stuff like frozen pizzas and snacks because if we were getting snowed in we’d make a party out of it. I kind of miss it but now that my son is getting older I’m doing the same with him, making it special.

askme_if_im_a_chair t1_jc4elhr wrote

I like this better than mill and bread lol

CammiKit t1_jc4i547 wrote

It’s so much better lol, especially when nowadays even with big snowstorms power outages aren’t as likely and get resolved fairly quickly (at least in places I’ve lived.)

Also, happy cake day!

digitalbulet t1_jc41le6 wrote

Is there a more rational reason possibly? Like for example you are just getting all the people who would normally do their grocery shopping on Tuesday but because there’s a storm coming Tuesday they are just going on Monday instead? So you have two days worth of grocery shoppers all piling in at the same time? Idk I guess I don’t think people are that stupid and there’s usually a logical reason for things. Could be wrong though

CatH2222 t1_jc4cuz1 wrote

I was 7 for the blizzard of 1978. Lived in Andover, MA. We were out of power for a week and it too 5 days to get plowed out of our cul-de-sac. I thought it was great! A fun adventure. Then I became a parent and started to worry about what I would do if it happened. Thankfully, I moved to RI and never really had to worry over the past 30 years 😄.

Aldo, we didn't have the technology to forecast that we do today so we always have some time before the storm hits. Plenty of time to stock up on bread and milk before the big rush.

Ryland42 t1_jc2xkyj wrote

Of course today is the day I had to dump my milk because it went bad thus having to go out and buy more.

WetNetBet t1_jc331iw wrote

I literally just got home from buying chips and slim Jims for this storm .

No-Formal-8137 t1_jc314xs wrote

Forgot the eggs

[deleted] t1_jc31e33 wrote

[deleted]

PipeLayer2016 t1_jc33auj wrote

Butter milk and thick sliced bread ftw. Let those slices soak for at least 20 minutes. Greek yogurt or kefir also work in a pinch. Bit of sugar and a touch of salt

februarytide- t1_jc3d9dd wrote

I happened to get some as part of my grocery run yesterday.

But honestly I’m more looking at water and batteries. Living with well water and the threat of losing electricity (and therefore water and heat) makes me want a generator more every year.

RedditSkippy t1_jc3jyh3 wrote

It’s going to rain in most of the state tomorrow. I’m not really worried.

waheifilmguy t1_jc323bt wrote

There were 10 poeople in my local store, that's about 9 more than there usually are when I go in there.

RIrocks1 t1_jc3khm0 wrote

More like beer and weed

dishwashersafe t1_jc3vlkx wrote

ohhh so that's why the seven stars sourdough was already empty by noon! Welp at least I got some Irish soda bread instead.

RedditSkippy t1_jc4rudi wrote

UPDATE: my husband went to the market in town, and reported that it wasn’t crowded. He was able to get everything on his list.

sept2022 t1_jc63rwv wrote

I'm pretty old. Grew up in a very large family. Always made sure milk and bread available in the house for several days when we had snow storms. Peanut butter and jelly, fluff and peanut butter were staples. My mom also had powdered milk on hand. When you have kids you have to have these things on hand. Now I keep a cooler on hand. Lots of ice in freezer. My neighbor has a grill, plenty of propane. We are prepared!

RhodyViaWIClamDigger OP t1_jc6707u wrote

I’m not pretty old but I’m taking your tips with gratefulness! Stay safe, dry and warm this week Sept2022!

TheOGJayRussle t1_jc6blbg wrote

I have a cat I can milk so I’m all set.

SirIsaacGnuton t1_jc6yz5n wrote

This hysteria has been happening since the Blizzard of 1978. The TV stations stoke the hysteria because it boosts their ratings which translates to more eyes on their content which means more market share which means more earnings.

Totally unnecessary fear mongering. But you'll never see them being honest if it means they might lose viewers.

[deleted] t1_jc32762 wrote

You people are ridiculous. One little storm and Rhode Islanders start freaking out. 🙄

−3

retsuko_h4x t1_jc3dtyc wrote

Nah, they're not ridiculous. When I lived in Portland, OR the stores would run out of kale before a storm, no joke. That's ridiculous. Then, when the storm would happen people would just abandon their vehicles in the middle of roads, highways, etc. You'd drive around and it was just a graveyard of abandoned vehicles. That's also ridiculous. And we're not even talking snow like we get over here.

Funny, just went to look it up and see if I could find any pictures, seems they recently abandoned a bunch more vehicles again: https://www.kptv.com/2023/02/25/drivers-scramble-find-abandoned-vehicles-after-portland-storm-tow-lots-full/

RedditSkippy t1_jc3kdlk wrote

Same thing happened in Brooklyn a few years ago. Whole Foods was wiped out of kale. KALE! Nobody had an explanation.

GlotzbachsToast t1_jc42d3i wrote

Just a hypothesis, but maybe because stormy weather makes people want to cook soup? Seriously! Lots of soups have kale in them!

That’s like when the weather started getting cooler this fall I went to try and get large shells for stuffed shells and they were sold out EVERYWHERE

asteroid_b_612 t1_jc32m8k wrote

Every single “storm warning” the past few years has not been anywhere as bad as they make it out to be

[deleted] t1_jc32quw wrote

It’s Rhode Island lol, we have a storm every week😆

Rhodychic t1_jc3hfex wrote

About maybe 15 years ago there was a storm that moved in hard and fast. School busses full of kids were getting stuck and not dropping kids off until 11pm. 95 was a mess. Normal commuting time doubled. We were only supposed to get a few inches. Better safe than sorry.

RedditSkippy t1_jc3kivk wrote

I remember this storm. It hit around school dismissal and the roads were too backed up for the plows to get through. Yeah, that was a shit show.

[deleted] t1_jc3hwm0 wrote

15 years ago😂 you sound like my grandparents who still talk about the blizzard of 78

Forward-Contract9315 t1_jc3v64s wrote

I'm not sure investing in "safe" 500 times to avoid a single "sorry" (where the bad eventuality is kids getting home at GASP 11 PEE EMM) is really the sound sort of behavior you're making it out to be.

−1

Rhodychic t1_jc3wo9f wrote

Yeah, I'm sure all of the parents were absolutely thrilled that their kids were god knows where and when they'd be home. Or when the parents would get home. It took my partner 5 hours to get home. And this isn't the only time it has happened. So kindly back off and reassess your attitude.

Forward-Contract9315 t1_jc4fpge wrote

stiffly and arrogantly pissed off at the slightest hint of disagreement. is this the redditor's natural state?

−1