Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

whataTyphoon t1_jbklhs8 wrote

Countries that care most about gender equality are rich countries which obviously have a higher live expectancy. Doesn't sound that surprising to me.

karrun10 t1_jbl2tuv wrote

I agree. And the comment about blue states vs red states, I would argue that blue states for the most part have higher education, higher income, therefore higher life expectancy.

FantasmaNaranja t1_jbluar0 wrote

why dont red states aim for higher education and higher incomes for their residents?

Bactereality t1_jbm2w8y wrote

Possibly because the cost of living is generally so low, and theres so many blue collar jobs to be had.

RiotingMoon t1_jbnaeoz wrote

literacy means educated which means they'll start questioning the bullshit. Keep them impoverished and uneducated= easily led around to petty bullshit (gas stoves)

mule_roany_mare t1_jbmni11 wrote

Because their politicians keep them too focused on race to think about class.

Whether or not it's intentional keeping the 95% of the population with overlapping interests divided by race & gender is certianly useful.

DiveBombExpert t1_jbn8ikp wrote

Republicans don’t talk about race , Democrats are the ones that are obsessed with telling us we are different than others because of our skin.

−16

achillymoose t1_jboa4pi wrote

I'm sorry, remind me again how Trump described the people of Mexico while advocating for a border wall

jelleuy t1_jbp32u3 wrote

>Republicans don’t talk about race, they just enforce a racist system. Democrats are the ones that are obsessed with telling us we are differently treated than others because of our skin.

Ftfy

Edit: also still false because the republicans still talk about race all the time

[deleted] t1_jblgw09 wrote

[deleted]

THOBRO2000 t1_jblstaw wrote

Ironically, gender inequality was one of the biggest problems in Ukraine before the invasion.

When hopefully Ukraine has it's freedom back and the invader outside the door it's very important that these things change in the country if they succesfully want to be part of the modern civilized European society.

Many countries victim of a war don't make these cultural switches to the 21st century and fall back 100 years. Corruption rises, conservative outdated ideas and favouritism shine and the often 'new' democracy dies a quick death. Countless of examples in Asia (Pakistan, India, Iran etc), Africa ( Syria, Libya etc), South America (Suriname, Brazil etc).

Countries like Czechia, Estonia, Poland etc have made these switches after the fall of the ussr/iron curtain and have become modern countries. Latvia, Kazachstan etc did not. Same with countries after the Yuguslav war. Kroatia became a very modern free 21st century country. Serbia did not.

If the majority of the Ukrainian population believes that issues like gender inequality (or corruption, government control or economic inequality) are minor issues, then Ukraine could fall back to a ussr like country way worse than the already bad situation prior to the war.

Don't get me wrong. Gender inequality is on a complete different level than a war and all of the terror that comes with it. But nothing is on the same level as a war. Gender inequality is not a minor issue. If you believe it is, then you should go live in Iran or Pakistan.

Chevy96d t1_jbohzi1 wrote

Yep.
When times get tough, and you're fighting for your life, some things come into focus.

I doubt that anyone cares about the fact that the people fighting against their country's invasion are not equally represented in terms of gender.

dr-freddy-112 t1_jbkuqz0 wrote

It goes even further than that. In the USA, for example, blue states (progressive/democrat) have a higher life expectancy than red states by a pretty decent margin.

I think local policies make a big impact.

Nintendogma t1_jbl744q wrote

Poor states are Red

Rich states are Blue

Policies make a difference

But being rich will do.

dr-freddy-112 t1_jbl802h wrote

That was beautiful lol

But policy also dictates whether a state will have money to spend. Conservatives hate taxes and social safety nets, but clearly both have an impact on quality and length of life.

belhamster t1_jbl2v8n wrote

Do you think it could be good for business to support gender equality? I believe it is.

DiveBombExpert t1_jbn8oe1 wrote

Yes because they don’t care about us we are replaceable to them.

Upper_Initial7918 t1_je8fcew wrote

And they would do it over and over again, gender equality is just a free ticket to being accepted to a wider population.

Unleashtheducks t1_jbn64l8 wrote

But it works in the other direction as well. When underdeveloped countries invest in gender equality, that leads to becoming richer. You have more people contributing to the economy, a higher output across the country.

rtwpsom2 t1_jbqgexe wrote

Authors seem to be mistaking correlation with causation again.

Gulbahar-00 t1_jc4s16n wrote

Also men live longer in more equal countries. The flipside of seeing women as delicate and unfit for leadership roles is seeing men as disposable and not caring about them dying in war or in workplace accidents, or from health issues.

Bactereality t1_jbm2dyu wrote

Thank you. I was also about to state the obvious. 😂

zgembo1337 t1_jbmnuwb wrote

Yep, also less women in STEM, since they can live an ok life with degrees jobs in other fields