Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_iuw7fd4 wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

trabbler t1_iuwd9u9 wrote

I simply cannot understand why this is not a major headline around the world.

trabbler t1_iuwh3e1 wrote

Maybe it's just my news feed, but I'm seeing netanyahu elected, then Pakistan PM shot and leg, some crap about Biden, Ukraine nuclear power plant without power, the Russia's economy, hurricane Martin, the quality of New Delhi's air?? Turkeys inflation, Germany's deal with China, something else about the stampede in Seoul, and finally a story from the guardian on the end of the Ethiopian civil war.

Anyway, I'm very very happy to hear the news that this conflict is winding down. This has been one of the most horrific atrocities of the 21st century so far.

AugustWolf22 t1_iux4v7o wrote

This is wonderful news. the hard part is now going to be the reconciliation and rebuilding process, the Abiy government will no doubt have to acquiesce giving some form of autonomy to the Tigray region for this to be a lasting peace. I wish them the best of luck with the peace process, this war has gone on for far too long and claimed far too many lives. šŸ•ŠšŸ•Šā˜®

quickthrowawaye t1_iux6wuj wrote

It is wonderful news but also fascinating how they were able to agree to end hostilities given the staggering amount of war crimes and human rights violations involved here, in such a short time too.

w47t0r t1_iuxtb73 wrote

most in the eu and us be like...where? who?

−4

lying_Iiar t1_iuxzom0 wrote

Because most of the world doesn't give a shit. Even people here. Look at this, 6 hours old, 14 comments.

Look what they're upvoting in this sub. They're signaling what's important to them.

−2

Numerous_Oils t1_iuy14k2 wrote

Who knows, that may be a part of why. Sudden, horrific, unprecedented loss and suffering can either galvanize a war or take the wind out of its sails. Guess they won the coin toss this time.

But, it's worth noting that peace is maintained by a small handful of people desperately working to keep it together. War is easy, peace is always the hard part.

Electrical_Nobody349 t1_iuy6k1d wrote

Maybe because the largest country on Earth attacked largest country in Europe and blackmailing everyone around with: nuclear weapons and nuclear catastrophe, and with gas supply, and attacking other sovereign nations, and with blocking Ukrainian port, which supplies Ethiopia with food, too? You know, there are dozens of thousand square kilometres of MY COUNTRY occupied, there's been hundreds of warcrimes commited by ruZZia, unknown, but huge amount of CIVILIANS dead and an entire cities don't exist anymore. I understand what are you feeling because in the past 8 months I read so much bullshit about my country, my people, my culture and language... I personally know about war in Ethiopia, since around 2021, I've seen it in news and YouTube documentaries. But there's a reason why everything about Ukraine, mate. I am glad that hostilities are going to an end in your country and I can't wish anything, but peace to you and your people.

RedPandemik t1_iuyalz2 wrote

Hopefully the people begin to recover. Eritrea joining Ethiopia might have made things so much worse. Glad the bloodshed is spared.

One_Hand_Smith t1_iuyfk9j wrote

Don't think you looked really hard, some googling shows new york times, washington post, and wall street journal.

Those were the only 3 I looked for and all 3 had articles. I think I can safely say with a 3 out of 3, every major newspaper covered it.

Kattekop_BE t1_iuyn9my wrote

let's hope they can actualy keep the peace. Those countries arw not known for long periods of peace...

RussianBot13 t1_iuynjqu wrote

Truly hoping for this to last. What a horrible nightmare these people have lived through.

Significant-Oil-8793 t1_iuyp26j wrote

Because of psyops.

US and Europe want people to remember the war so that people will support continued military supplies there. If not, people will eventually go against the war and they don't want that as collapsing Russia have been the goal since post-WW2

−1

Cloudyarabia t1_iuyr8dh wrote

Aye, this guy is unhinged.

I have seen plenty from Ethiopia over the past two years - our news feeds are curated - if you click on a post about Tigray once, youā€™ll continue to see it, if you donā€™t engage you wonā€™t see as much. I consume a lot more content about the political, social and economic environment in China, US, Ukraine; I have less interest in eithiopia, that doesnā€™t make me a bad person, I just have things that I would rather allocate my time to reading.

SamYeager1907 t1_iuyrniu wrote

As a Euro, yes, but as an American, it's 6,000 vs 8,000 miles, so basically both are far away.

Europe isn't playing nearly as big of a role in the direct conflict itself as US is, despite being closer.

Moreover, reddit users are majority American, then Canadian, British and Aussie. I've also seen different stats that show US, then Australia, then India, then Philippines and then the rest in far smaller amounts under 10mil.

dynex811 t1_iuys9ur wrote

Well that's on you because it's been in the news and it's been on the Wikipedia news story section. If you haven't heard about it you likely aren't clicking the sections on news websites that specify the part of the globe.

dynex811 t1_iuysuz5 wrote

You being invested in the events doesn't make you an authority on everyone in the world's news coverage. Do you know where they live? Where I live? How can you possibly cover every outlet and know who's talking about it or not. Don't just take your anger out on people here.

MotoSlava t1_iuyt4h6 wrote

Weā€™re not talking about simply by distance but also by cultural association. American culture and Ukrainian culture, while vastly different, are much more sympathetic to one another than that of either nation and any in Africa.

Claiming this isnā€™t a major headline for racism (which you refuse to outright say because itā€™s so ridiculous) is just false.

The war in Ukraine is world news because itā€™s against a nuclear superpower with massive ramifications for the entire fucking planet. The Tigray doesnā€™t have nearly the same level of consequence, sorry.

ghal1986 t1_iuyuoaw wrote

What's the definition of rebel?

−3

Tony2Punch t1_iuyuz3y wrote

Like the fact that there is an ongoing war in the DRC that has more life lost than WWII should speak volumes to the fact that minerals and precious metals are still being extracted there and sent overseas without any interruption.

People often roll their eyes at "The west is bad" narrative, but there has to be some EV companies(Every car manufacturer world wide) bankrolling warlords there to guarantee there is no logistical issues.

ghal1986 t1_iuyvkom wrote

Hopefully this can actually last. Eritrea needs to go or it won't.

aidan6604 t1_iuz9h6b wrote

I'm so happy about this, but I wish more people knew about it.

Electrical_Nobody349 t1_iuzxa31 wrote

Indeed poor wording on my behalf. Ukraine is biggest European country, excluding russia. Bigger then France and etc. Would've been much better for literally everyone if russia actually invaded russia.