Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Phuzi3 t1_j2jcubl wrote

It’s going to vary on area and family size.

I make almost $44/hour, which comes out to around $80k a year…but I’m supporting 5 other people. My wife and 4 kids. That money pretty much goes to rent, bills and food, and maybe a couple tanks of gas before we’re broke.

Granted, I have a long commute. I live 45-ish miles from where I work, and that’s, primarily, so I don’t have to live in Everett or anywhere close to it.

I would say, at minimum, $100k or more to do more than just survive. Between housing costs, food, gas prices, being able to save for whatever. If you have more than yourself, add more income. I probably need to double what I make to really be where I should be, to finally afford a house and pay for the stuff my family needs.

NiceRelease5684 t1_j2jwpcv wrote

What's wrong with living in Everett?

marchano85 t1_j2jzt1x wrote

There are better neighborhoods than others but I lived in Everett for 6 years and it’s a great place to live. Both my daughters were born there so maybe I’m looking back with rose colored glasses but there’s something about Everett that will stick for me for the rest of my life. Currently living in Vancouver, WA for reference.

beez_beez t1_j2jxvze wrote

It’s generally regarded as being a shit hole. I’ve only ever driven through, it’s just what I’ve heard a lot.

Phuzi3 t1_j2k5ddp wrote

I have a general disdain for cities, so bear that in mind. I’m not even a fan of suburbia any more.

I just don’t like Everett. I’ve lived there a few times, totaling about 5-6 years, and 3 of the cars I had in that time were broken into and had things stolen.

Real estate is more expensive than outside city limits (cheaper than Seattle, Lynnwood or Edmonds, sure, but more than, say, Monroe or Arlington) so apartments are about the only option for most people. Not a great option for a large family, such as mine.

Yeah, I’d be close to where I work…but I’m not trading convenience for the space I presently have, where my kids can play in their own backyard or ride their bikes in the road and not have to worry about getting hit by a car.

Cities suck, and I choose rural life to raise my kids in.

irishmcsg2 t1_j2l5xbm wrote

Greetings, fellow Everett worker-but-not-resider!

Bigbluebananas t1_j2n7uca wrote

I live south in tacoma area kind of, and Im able to provide housing and all that for just me on a 37hr rate- also have some to pad my savings each month

Phuzi3 t1_j2n9sbb wrote

And that, there, is one of the key differences: you’re only funding yourself. Adding a dependent of any sort, other than a pet, drastically changes things.

As does the area in which you live. “Tacoma-ish” is a bit cheaper, on average, from what I understand than most anything Seattle and north.

If you’re making it now and able to save, sweet. Stuff away what you can while you can. This may not always be the case.

Bigbluebananas t1_j2n9y7c wrote

Brother im not arguing against any point being made here. Im answering ops question and sharing my reply to an area already posted. Im grateful for my situation

Phuzi3 t1_j2nfju4 wrote

You replied to me, so I’m responding in kind. I don’t think that necessarily indicates an argument or disagreement of any sort. Like I said, if you’re doing well, awesome. Keep at it, and continue to save for the day that situation may change. Just some advice from someone who’s lived by the paycheck for almost 20 years, and will have to give the same to his kids some day.

cakeo48 t1_j2jdns6 wrote

Personally the make 3x your rent rule has worked everywhere I've lived, so that's what I would use to determine a decent salary.

Greenthumbgal t1_j2jgta6 wrote

Min $30/hr with benefits. Cost of housing, food, healthcare After decent insurance, and any other necessities.

Siamese_Red t1_j2j486u wrote

Before i moved away I was making 16$/hr moving truck tires around a warehouse manually and with forklift. I couldn't afford a car payment and was paying rent at 650/month for a bedroom. I had no health insurance. No car. I could've but it cut too deep into my salary.

I'm not sure what you mean but my calculations suggest approx 33$/hr(63,360 before taxes), not sure how that bracket is taxed, to afford a used car payment, mortgage or ridiculous rent and separate insurances not connected to work for health, home and auto, internet and some savings for hobbies and 3 months vacation and other leave with appropriate salary coverage.

I'm probably wrong and I know this is the lower figure of what people need and should be making IMO as minimum wage to keep up a savings and afford things that should be basic rights and paid via taxing conglomerates, industries and various tolls, and large entities and people within our states and countries to make sure our workers and infrastructure is maintained as a whole.

It's absolutely mind boggling to me that working for entities and industries involved with moving people doesn't have the resources in place to take care of the people that work for them and everyone else they move. I mean transit, state departments, various manufacturers, warehouses, trucking, transportation and Medical.

Nobody needs fucking billions or millions. It should be reinvested into the people that built that wealth not a singular person or fucking stocks. Trickledown my ass.

neonshaman t1_j2j9bnq wrote

It really depends on where you live. The Seattle I-5 corridor has a much higher cost of living, so what would make for a good salary in Forks wont get you far in Shoreline. I recommend looking at housing prices as a good peg, that is the most significant difference. You can also check median (not average) income in an area.

cneueidb t1_j2jlgll wrote

$100k+ to be comfortable. $80k to be vaguely comfortable. Anything less and it’s paycheck to paycheck struggle. Under $60k and you’ll have debt for sure. If you want to commute 1.5-3 hours a day you might be ok living on lower amounts but it’s stressful. You used to be able to live alright on $20hourly but not anymore.

freckledtabby t1_j2khf68 wrote

I agree. Would you say for an American middle-class lifestyle a family of 4 in any Western Washington metro area should make $150-250 a year to have the same lifestyle the middle class enjoyed in the early '80s---yearly vacations, sending kids to college, house with bedrooms for everyone, etc.?

cneueidb t1_j2nhl7j wrote

Probably. I mean, it’s all perspective. This area definitely makes people materialistic and encourages having “things” and “education” plus inflation and cost of living equals “you need to make more money” unfortunately. If you want to be more simple and content, I’ve seen plenty of people live comfortably on less. But it’s all what you want out of life tbh.

Tlaloc-23 t1_j2jqpo4 wrote

Better be making more than $130k if you want to live here. Rent and mortgage are insane. Everything is super expensive.

GingerCatGang t1_j2jsvny wrote

I work for the state and live in Clark County making almost $70,000 a year and if it weren't for my spouse also earning nearly that amount we would absolutely not be able to afford to live here. In fact we would like to purchase a new home in the next year so will be moving out of state to do so. The going rent in the area for the size of home we currently own is around $2400/month. If I had to show I earn 3 times that amount monthly to get approved for move in, I would not be able to.

GreggSalad t1_j2jarjx wrote

Depends where you live. Seattle area you should shoot for $40/hr+ if you want to be able to live even slightly comfortably. Most other places in the state are probably doable at $30/hr. And if you are in a cheap rural area you might be able to go lower than that. It all comes down to how much housing, groceries, and expenses like tolls/parking cost in the area and that can vary significantly.

flipfreakingheck t1_j2jvfc3 wrote

East or west side? Comfortable on the east side with a family of four making about $56k.

Granted we own a home with a smaller payment and own our vehicles too.

throwawayacct139865 t1_j2j2iso wrote

I would say $30/hr minimum with benefits on top. That's close to $62,000 a year if you're only working 40 hour weeks.

ZimofZord t1_j2j350u wrote

I do not think that’s good for WA … maybe Mississippi

throwawayacct139865 t1_j2j46xc wrote

It all depends on the lifestyle you live, you can live comfortably on $30/hr if you can live without a brand new flashy car, a huge house, and hand brewed custom coffee and you don't have three kids.

ZimofZord t1_j2j7c2q wrote

Maybe in another state or on the east side

From what I have seen rent is like 2-2500 which at 62000k salary that’s basically all your money

Also you forgot to add No avacado toast

−8

cakeo48 t1_j2j9jwn wrote

If you have kids, 62,000k would be tough, but outside of that you definitely don't need to spend anywhere near that on rent unless you have to live downtown lol.

ZimofZord t1_j2j9n48 wrote

I don’t have kids and I think my current income of 100k world be tough to feed a kid on

I was looking in Issaqua for those prices

−5

cakeo48 t1_j2jb9pd wrote

Then I'm not suprised lol, Issaquah is an upper class suburb...

ZimofZord t1_j2jbgcm wrote

Yeah I am seeing other places that are a bit cheaper but no idea on how safe some of the areas are lol and at best they are $1500 still

cakeo48 t1_j2jcv7a wrote

They'd be fine for most people, we are pretty spoiled in washington, outside of minor property crime there's only a handful of "bad" areas compared to a lot of US cities lol

throwawayacct139865 t1_j2j9van wrote

If your rent is $2000-$2500 that's your problem, there are cheaper places to live.

ZimofZord t1_j2ja0k3 wrote

Not from what I saw

Unless you are ok living in a shoebox I guess 🤷‍♀️ definitely don’t want to llive be in a 300 soft prison

−3

throwawayacct139865 t1_j2ja7ps wrote

Where are you looking? If you're making 100k a year you shouldn't even be renting, that's just throwing money away.

ZimofZord t1_j2jb6pe wrote

Yeah ppl love to say that but I don’t want to be tied down at this stage in life . A mortage for a 300k house in other states is 1800 which would require me to move to anouther state . 300k here probably won’t even buy you a shack

throwawayacct139865 t1_j2jbio1 wrote

You can find houses for 300k but they'll come with a commute. You're not tied down to a house either, you're able to sell it at any time.

Phuzi3 t1_j2jbpvx wrote

$100k a year is where you start to break out of “survival” in the Sound, and has been for a handful of years.

Of course, it depends on family size. In 2017 or so, KING (I think) put out a story that anything under $100k for a 4 person household in SnoCo is considered low income. So, if you’re only supporting yourself, making $60-80k, you’re probably doing fine.

I make around $80k and support a 6 person household. We’re not doing fine. Between rent, monthly bills, food and gas…we’re broke, normally, within a couple days of me getting paid.

−1

ZimofZord t1_j2jcdbg wrote

Yeah I don’t really think a lot of ppl understand how much it costs out there now. Sure I could afford more if I invested zero in 401k , Roth and HSA however then you work until you die . It really sucks out there

Phuzi3 t1_j2jd4jh wrote

I’m not putting anything towards my 401k, because I need every dollar I can get to put towards my family. At this point, yeah, I have no intent of retiring because I have no pension and no savings, and I turn 38 this year.

Shits rough out here.

ZimofZord t1_j2jdqcy wrote

Tell me about it . To survive you need to work till you die

Phuzi3 t1_j2jfi6b wrote

True.

And I’ll probably break from my fellow Millenials on this, but I don’t see that as necessarily a bad thing.

Just because you retire, doesn’t mean you stop working. Leave the job you had a career at, but do something part time to bring in a little extra and stay busy.

haludar t1_j2j91xg wrote

*Half of your money.

ZimofZord t1_j2j9b4k wrote

It’s half my money right now and I make 100k dude lol

Maybe half of you want to save nothing for retirement

−1

Fretboardsurfer t1_j2j4cal wrote

I think it depends on whether or not you have kids or a mortgage. I was living on $65k for many years and I'm doing great financially. That said, I do not have children and I have not been able to purchase a home in the Seattle area (yet).

[deleted] t1_j2lsdc3 wrote

Location is super important here.

Isn't $62k below the threshold for affordable housing in Seattle? $62k in Vancouver OTOH wouldn't be extravagant, but you would be able to get by & still save.

toobadkittykat t1_j2j5snp wrote

the minimum , starvation wages at best

Anybody-Puzzleheaded t1_j2ja09y wrote

I agree. This sounds good compared to what a lot of people make, but you’re going to struggle to support yourself unless you don’t have a car payment or you have roommates.

I think of a “good” salary as one that affords you to at least modestly support yourself, without needing other people, and be able to save for the future. If you got locked in to a good mortgage/rent price years ago, this could be possible on $30 and hour. Otherwise, no.

toobadkittykat t1_j2jbrcq wrote

that's exactly right , you can see i have been downvoting bc they don't agree as most jobs here don't come close to that . don't worry , just bc i can afford my own apt now doesn't mean i won't be joining the 2or3 roommate bunch this year . rents are going up way faster than pay increases , trust me on that .

Bamcfp t1_j2j7x0e wrote

Depends on a lot. Cost of living and work experience mostly. I live in silverdale and I feel like 20/hr is fine for entry level, it can pay the bills but it's stressful. 25/hr is good, you can have a little breathing room if you work full time.

kwiknkleen t1_j2je6mq wrote

$20/hr pays bills? I make that and if I didn’t share a house with my brother I couldn’t afford it. Rent in Washington state is outrageous. Glad I have a home.

manos_de_pietro t1_j2jet4t wrote

Same down here in Vancouver. Fortunately I am married to a brilliant woman with a PhD and a senior-level public sector job, bc my $20/hr wouldn't be enough for me to live on my own.

toobadkittykat t1_j2jkhgp wrote

vancouver is a whole different ball game than king or most of western wa counties . there you have no income tax , jump the river and shop with no 10.2% sales tax . sounds pretty win win financially .

manos_de_pietro t1_j2jxtcv wrote

"Jump the river" is easier said than done for day-to-day shopping. Local sales tax is 8.4%. Buying a home? $400k and up. Rent is still high, forget about even a 1-bedroom apartment for under $1k per month.

toobadkittykat t1_j2jy969 wrote

where local , portland ? or in vancouver ? i don't understand that local . oregon doesn't have any sales tax last i heard . 0$

manos_de_pietro t1_j2jznly wrote

Vancouver. Washington. Where I live.

Where did that 10.2% number come from anyway?

toobadkittykat t1_j2k06ko wrote

that's what the wa state sales tax is , isn't it ? it was 10 until recently it went up .2 more . yes i knew which vancouver we were talking about from the beginning . i used to live in portland and there is no sales tax there , at least there wasn't a couple years ago .

manos_de_pietro t1_j2k0idr wrote

https://dor.wa.gov/education/industry-guides/private-mailing-business-tax-guide/retail-sales-tax

Base rate is 6.5%. Counties and cities can add to that for reasons.

toobadkittykat t1_j2k196u wrote

my bust totally , i stand corrected . must be king county thing . still detracts nothing from my original comment . for small purchases , grocery etc wouldn't be worth driving 50 mi round trip but for large items would certainly be worth the effort imo .

manos_de_pietro t1_j2k4l4k wrote

It's a built-in situation at this point. We live within 2 miles of Costco, Wal-Mart, Safeway, Fred Meyer. Best Buy, Ikea, etc are all in Oregon. Then again, we don't buy brand-new appliances. Honestly, it doesn't really enter into our decision-making very much. I don't mind paying taxes when I get to live in a functional society.

Bamcfp t1_j2jfnod wrote

Yeah I was able to do it on 16.50. I payed $850 in rent. I live paycheck to paycheck my whole life and only had to be late on rent 2 very desperate times when I got laid off.

−1

kwiknkleen t1_j2k0une wrote

Living paycheck to paycheck is not living.

Bamcfp t1_j2kf899 wrote

Well that's the reality for most Americans. Its plenty good. My bills are paid, I own my cars, still have a bit left for hobbies or vacation. Only downside is more stress from no safety net. Also getting laid off is terrible.

Mdlmomo t1_j2jn16f wrote

I make just over $100k a year which I used to think sounded like a lot but it really depends on where you live. I currently live in Bellevue (which is way too overpriced) and I can’t afford to buy a house so I rent ($2.4k/month). I’m able to live pretty comfortably as I don’t support anyone else but definitely don’t have a lot of extra money.

Sammy12345671 t1_j2k2ovx wrote

My husband makes just over $32/hour and it works for us. We bought near ocean shores since it’s cheaper than up north. Any less would be a struggle.