Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

albalfa t1_j0fdt68 wrote

Not sure on the variables and specifics to your situation, but if it turns out you're paying way more than you should be, it may be the toilet.

For a far longer time than I can hope to emotionally recover from, I had a leaking toilet that made a water bill that (I now know) should have been around $125/quarter into $500+ every 3 months.

Two years ago I did a minor reno of the bathroom and the 1980's commode had to go. Aside from using too much water in perfect condition, I knew it was leaking from the tank into the bowl a little.

It wasn't a little. After replacing it with a new, modern, efficient (but highly effective) toilet, my water bills dropped from over $500 quarterly to $125ish.

All the bills I paid of several hundred dollars for years because of a f'in toilet with a "slow leak" will haunt me to my death.

I knew it was leaking. I had no idea how much.

Good for you for asking if your bill is normal. Took me years and stupidly wasted money to ask.

princess-smartypants t1_j0gkqqh wrote

To test this, drop some food color in to the top tank and wait a couple of hours. If any of the color shows up in the bowl without flushing, you have a leak.

albalfa t1_j0glrzi wrote

That’s what did it for me. It took seconds to reach the bowl.

The damn thing never made any sounds like a typical running toilet either.

I’m cringing for having been such an idiot. So much wasted water. So much wasted money.

baldymcbaldyface t1_j0g1ua1 wrote

FYI if this happens, many municipalities will reverse some charges if you contact them and explain the situation of the leaky toilet and tell them it has been repaired.

yennijb t1_j0fst3p wrote

Not sure how long you've been there or if it was vacant before you, but the October numbers' jump significantly, I'd check for leaks. I have a 3 family (8 people) and we're usually around 600-800/quarter.

UsrNameAlrdyFaknTakn OP t1_j0gfan3 wrote

The house in question is a 3 family house. 6-800 for water and septic combined?

yennijb t1_j0gzic2 wrote

Yes, we have on-demand hot water heaters, not sure if that makes a difference. We don't have a septic tank we're on city sewer, so our bill is technically for trash/water/sewer.

InnerRoll9882 t1_j0fy8zw wrote

It does seem high. For a family of four we pay 260-300 a quarter.

entropyvsenergy t1_j0gfdj9 wrote

I live in a 3 BR, 1.5 bathroom house. We pay $35.00 a month.

SwingPrestigious695 t1_j0gbb27 wrote

Looking at the billing history, I'd say you have a toilet running.

legalpretzel t1_j0g6xeb wrote

My family of 2 pays $60-80/quarter. But we have a new dishwasher, front load washing machine, low flow faucets and water efficient toilets, and I shower at the gym a lot. We also don’t have an irrigation system and don’t water the lawn.

KNS508 t1_j0g77wd wrote

My last bill was like $95

LowkeyPony t1_j0gm6mu wrote

I will never complain about my water/sewer bill again. Damn!

3 bedroom, 1 bath outside of Worcester. Occupied by two adults for the majority of the year with the kid at college.

We have a high efficiency washer and a newer toilet, but I also have a garden I care for during the summer months, and a small flock of chickens in my back yard, and the most my bill has been is around $85. Last month it was $38

I would legit cry if our water/sewer bill was this high

UsrNameAlrdyFaknTakn OP t1_j0gssed wrote

I almost did 😅 its a 3 family with 3 units rented out i did fix a leak in the main in the basement in February. Very slow leak and in the end, didn’t seem to change anything on my bill.

I was expecting maybe I had to pay 1000 because I kept forgetting to call about the water bill for the year I owned it. You could imagine my surprise when they said my total bill is 4300 dollars for the year.

Shvasted t1_j0gpy8g wrote

Your 10/06/22 bill makes it seem like you’re washing elephants at your house. Wicked high and I had a water feature in my backyard for years, I would know.

barry_abides t1_j0gtk07 wrote

Single-family house in Worcester, two person household. We have a dishwasher and high efficiency washing machine, and did frequent drip irrigation of a couple areas of the yard through the summer. Bill for 6/1/22 to 9/1/22 was $116.60 (water and sewer combined).

RunDaJewelz t1_j0iu5xq wrote

I believe 2-300 quarterly I own a 2 family 4 adults

marshal1257 t1_j0jvma4 wrote

I pay about $185 a quarter.