Submitted by TheWalkingTurtle t3_znlm1j in WorcesterMA

Hello all,

My fiancée and I are planning a day trip to Worcester next week to check out the area. My fiancée is a fourth-year Medical student and is interviewing at residency programs and seems to like Umass Worcester. We are both from the Northeast.

We are planning to visit to check out the area to see if this is a place where we would like to live for the next 3+ years. We are looking for ideas for places to go, things to do, and Worcester's best eats! Thanks.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Oyadonchano t1_j0htflb wrote

Armsby Abbey, Chashu Ramen, Redemption Rock Brewing.

There's a commercial complex in the Canal District that houses Bedlam Books, Birch Tree Bread Co, a bougie plant store, an art gallery/bar, and a large antique store. Next door to that is Worcester Public Market with a number of good food options and a brewery. I wouldn't spend all your time in the Canal District if you want to get to know the wider city, but there is good stuff there.

For places with a local feel, I recommend Vincent's, Hotel Vernon, Steel & Wire, Miss Worcester Diner, Theatre Cafe.

For culture stuff, Worcester Art Museum, ArtsWorcester, The White Room (the art gallery/bar I mentioned above).

FYI, check websites/socials for anywhere you plan to go, because small businesses around here tend to close for a week or two during this time of year so they can spend time with family.

Enjoy! Drive safe!

GiveMeTheYeetBoys t1_j0hy4bz wrote

I just moved out of Worcester, but my wife and I lived there for seven years while she completed med school and started her residency. We honestly loved it. The food is great (Sole Proprietor, Momos, Akra, Bean Counter, Burger Bah, Culpeppers, and City Line were all personal favorites). We enjoyed being outdoors, so we spent a lot of time at Green Hill park, Hadwen Park, and exploring all the walking trails around Barre and Rutland. If you’re into night life, then the canal district is a great place to hang out.

CatumEntanglement t1_j0i7vi8 wrote

Deadhorse hill or Lock50 are solid places for a good dinner.

For excellent fancy cocktails, go to Muse by the theater.

For culture go to the Worcester art museum.

For an up and coming Worcester vibe with that has that whole old mill factory history, go walk around the canal district where the Worcester public market is. There will be food, breweries, and fun local shops there. Very entertaining. I recommend Birch Tree Bread Co for coffee and breakfast. Seed to Stem is a fun plant store with a lot of oddities. Bedlam books is a cozy bookstore that makes good coffee and smoothies.

NativeMasshole t1_j0iicdf wrote

You like beer? Don't forget to hit up Greater Good!

xenolingual t1_j0ij9az wrote

I live a few blocks from the UMass Med campus and definitely recommend checking out food around. For example, Cafe Reyes - a Cuban joint that is staffed by rehab patients - is not far away and had one of the best breakfasts/lunches in the city. My partner and I also are fond of Regatta Deli and Lakeside Bar and grill for casual fare, too. The lakeside parks are also great -- in the summer, the Regatta Park has watercraft courses, and there's outdoor BBQ as well.

JohnnyGoldwink t1_j0ijnsu wrote

I highly recommend checking out the Worcester public market in Kelley Square and getting some grub @ Pasta Mani or one of the other great eateries. After that you can pop over and check out seed to stem and some other cool shops. Birch tree which someone else mentioned is also great. Shrewsbury street is also a pretty cool part of town. Volturno for pizza and beer. Kinichi for sushi.

Mother_Rip_7792 t1_j0jbnek wrote

I love the Canal District. Make sure to stop at the Queen’s Cups for the best cupcakes and treats. Birch Alley is a nice store too. The Woo Sox baseball stadium is fun in the summer.

Near UMass: if you’re a runner, you’ll like Sneakerama. They have a Thursday night fun run year round that anyone is welcome to join. El Basha is next door and has great middle eastern cuisine. Across the bridge on Rt 9 are all the chain stores and fast food places as well as some more good restaurants.

There are lots of great parks and outdoor spaces in and around the city. The Tower Hill Botanic Garden is lovely. There’s ice skating at City Hall. Rowing on Lake Quinsigamond. Tennis courts, fields and trails along the water.

k-squeez t1_j0jc8tp wrote

Miyazawa for real legit sushi.

Fatima's platter with enjera bread

Mint Vietnamese

Jamaica Thymes

Wooden Bar for thoughtful Asian fusion

Dead Horse for actually good upscale dinner or brunch

Parks: elm park, green hill park, Worcester Common where you can see Turtle Boy

About_Yeah_High t1_j0k1nbs wrote

If you like to chill with books, the Worcester Public Library can’t be beat. You probably won’t bother on a day trip but if you move here you should check it out.

Witty_Storage3210 t1_j0kaj0l wrote

Definetly Canal District (for the yippies), Kelly Sq and downtown is very nice, the Common (behind city hall) just put up the Christmas tree and there’s lights to see. Park avenue has tons of restaurants, and Shrewsbury St is very popular and know as “restaurant row” . Highland St has nice shops, the Boynton is great, and Sole Proprietor. Not exactly Worcester, but Blackstone Plaza in Millbury is a huge plaza with tons of stores and restaurants. Tons of places to go as well, Art Museum, the Antiquarian, Ecotarium. Worcester History Museum. Hanover Theater and Mechanics Hall in Downtown hosts musicals and plays. The Palladium hosts concerts from small local bands or more known musicians and have outdoor concerts in the Summer.

Onomatopoeia2000 t1_j0liyr0 wrote

If you're up for a short drive, New City Micro creamery in Hudson for amazing ice cream and Fattoush in Northborough for middle eastern food. Also Island Fin Poke just off of Park ave is to this date the best poke I've had so far

BigFrankee t1_j0lnaem wrote

Tower Hill Botanical Garden.