Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Myfavoritepetsnameis t1_jdojyai wrote

The video I saw looked like really aggressive driving. Like the grey car was changing lanes and the white one wasn’t giving them space but they came over anyway. Neither person wanted to give up an inch. Looked like they’re both at fault to me.

It’s more and more common on the beltway: you put on your blinker and the person next to you speeds up to close the gap.

BlueFalconPunch t1_jdp33ld wrote

Blinker=indicator, not ownership of new lane. https://driversed.com/driving-information/driving-techniques/changing-lanes/

the person in the left/passing lane was maintaining their lane. Maryland thinks that blinker means right of way. Want to double park? Blinkers. What to stop in the middle of the street to chitchat? Blinkers. You want to change lanes? Blinker. Fuck everyone else.

In the video I've seen it starts with the dark car already 2/3rds of the way into the left lane and the white car was pushed into the wall and bouncing back. Im sure both drivers were speeding...but the onus from what I've seen is on the encroaching dark car either not seeing or not caring that the left lane was already occupied.

Myfavoritepetsnameis t1_jdp3pnw wrote

I’m not saying someone using a blinker means they take ownership of anything.

Being a defensive driver and courteous driver saves lives.

BlueFalconPunch t1_jdp41hd wrote

I hope there a dash cam or a longer earlier start to the video I've seen. I heard that both were driving aggressive but the video isn't clear

Myfavoritepetsnameis t1_jdp56or wrote

I’m just speaking from my personal experience and the few seconds we have in the video.

I drove a 9 ton truck for easily 500 miles a week for many years around the beltway. When I put on my signal people would speed up like I was going to steal their lunch. Instead I started to match their speed for a couple seconds and have them come up beside me then I’d tap the brakes to change lanes behind them. They got to be very predictable and this was the safer way to change lanes. People drive like absolute asshats around the beltway. I don’t understand it at all. Once you get off on 95, 70, or 795 they don’t seem to do it as much.

hypatiaakat t1_jdpvyi3 wrote

Completely agree, this happens all the time. The moment the blinker comes on, the person behind speeds up. They do it to merging traffic all the time, tailgating in the right lane, etc.

Here, this was a work zone and both drivers were reckless. People died because of it.

Sea_Yesterday_8888 t1_jdps4cs wrote

Thank you!! Share the road people, lives are at stake. Maryland is the worst with people speeding up when someone puts on their blinker. You are operating deadly machinery, act like it.

fnkdrspok t1_jdqc8wv wrote

Why do we have to let you in? Go in behind me, instead of trying to cut me off. (Hence the speed up to close the gap)

−12

Flapperghast t1_jdqs1d7 wrote

Why can't you be courteous? It's not like you'll get where you're going any faster by being a shithead.

fnkdrspok t1_jdqveiz wrote

Why do you need to get in front instead of being patient and waiting for a safe lane merge? If and when I merge, I’ll go behind someone if they are already in the lane, that’s just being courteous, anything else is being a shithead.

Flapperghast t1_jdqwp6m wrote

I'm talking about changing lanes in front of a car as a safe lane merge.

fnkdrspok t1_jdqxgi6 wrote

Again, whenever people fight over a lane, it’s because some vehicle sped up trying to merge in front instead of just merging behind. So in turn, second vehicle speeds up so that doesn’t happen.

See the chain reaction here? If you didn’t speed up trying to pass, the car you were trying to pass wouldn’t of sped up to close the gap.

Flapperghast t1_jdqyq2g wrote

That's a very "look what you made me do" mentality. Also, I have no idea what you're trying to describe here.

I'm describing a situation in which the vehicle to the left is not in front of the merging vehicle, but behind around the blind spot. As the vehicle to the right begins to change lanes, the courteous thing for the driver on the left to do is absolutely not speed up, it is to maintain speed and allow the driver to merge.

fnkdrspok t1_jdqz68s wrote

I’m talking about people merging in front instead of merging behind. That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less.

People speed up to stop people from cutting them off, there, that’s it, nothing more to say other than that. If someone is speeding up, stay in your lane and just merge behind them.

After rereading your scenario, why would you merge in front of a car while they are in your blind spot?

mibfto t1_jdrcvcn wrote

The white car isn't in a position to GIVE anyone space. The merging car either has it or they don't. They did not, and they changed lanes into another vehicle anyway. The white car cannot be at fault, because aside from speeding, they were just driving in a straight line.

"Changing lanes" is also a seriously generous description of what the grey car was doing. They were charging lanes, tailgating, going much faster than the rest of the traffic on the road, and ignorant of their blind spots.

Flapperghast t1_jdqsn8s wrote

That's a classic Los Angeles move. "You want to change lanes and there's plenty of room ahead of me, the driver in the next lane? Not anymore, lol!"

Changing lanes on the freeway? Blocked.

Need to get into the turn lane? Blocked.

Your lane is ending and the smart thing to do is zipper merge? You bet your sweet ass that's blocked and they'll match your speed until you're in the shoulder. Suck it, other drivers.

I used to think LA drivers were absolutely the worst I'd ever dealt with. Now I see Baltimore is catching up.

dirkdlx t1_jdr6qz3 wrote

an f-150 tried to run me off the road because i merged into the left lane he was flying down on 795 lol people at large just need an honest, old-fashioned “let me rethink shit” style asswhooping

Alaira314 t1_jdpx2md wrote

> It’s more and more common on the beltway: you put on your blinker and the person next to you speeds up to close the gap.

That's why I don't signal if there's drivers being aggressive around me, if I can help it. Obviously if there's no safe gap then I have to resort to asking(a request that's often denied, especially in traffic that's already behaving aggressively), but otherwise I'm gonna find that safe gap and take it, thankya. It's legal in MD as long as your merge is safe(large enough gap, no speed differential, etc). 🤷‍♀️

−17

RagingBuddhist59 t1_jdu3pgf wrote

People speed up because they don't want someone squeezing in between them and the car already in front of them. We're all already driving too close to each other in traffic for proper stopping distances, but these "my blinker's on I'm coming over" people don't care. One or two flashes - if we're lucky - next thing you know you can't even see their license plate in front of you.

Cody_in_Baltimore OP t1_jdo175u wrote

>Wednesday’s incident is one of the deadlier work zone crashes across the U.S. and in Maryland between 1980 and 2020, according to a Banner analysis of Fatality Analysis Reporting System data maintained by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
In Maryland alone during that time period, there were only two crashes that resulted in more than six fatalities. Nationally, there were fewer than 400 crashes that deadly.

thegree2112 t1_jdqymha wrote

both of them should be locked up

Myfavoritepetsnameis t1_jdrilj5 wrote

One of them is getting buried.

−1

Brendan_f18 t1_jdsampa wrote

Which? Didn't say in the article if true from what I see.

Myfavoritepetsnameis t1_jdse60s wrote

I didn’t see it in an article. It came from someone who also works construction. They said the driver of the darker vehicle didn’t make it.

−1

RagingBuddhist59 t1_jdu3aaz wrote

I'm pretty sure that would have made the news if she had died. Haven't seen/couldn't find anything to corroborate that she had.

AutoModerator t1_jdo1621 wrote

Hello there!

Links from the domain present in your post are known to present a soft paywall to users. As a result, some users may have difficulty reading the linked content.

It may be helpful to provide a comment containing a synopsis or a snippet of the major points of the article in order to help those who may not be able to see it.

In accordance with the subreddit rules, please do not post the entirety of the article's contents as a comment.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.