Submitted by Accurate-Lecture7473 t3_ya2dri in baltimore

I’m not being a jerk, I just am genuinely curious if Atlas elbows out other bidders for restaurant real estate. Specifically, if they purchase a location, have others had the chance to bid on it, or are they acquiring properties no one else has interest in, or is it some third scenario? Is there some open record place one can look this up? Thanks guys, I just like numbers.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

gottagetintosomethin t1_it92ctd wrote

It’s not that they’re just shitty people (which def plays a part when it comes to me avoiding their establishments) but it seems like they’re actively killing the restaurant scene by making every restraint they own great for instagram but mid ass food

fireanthead t1_it93l25 wrote

Agreed. The food is not good and so grossly overpriced

sleeponthefloorx t1_it9fhts wrote

IM SO GLAD IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS THIS. This is why I don’t feel like Atlas is that great. Like yea the atmosphere is cool but ur food is hella just okay, esp for the price you pay

Purple_Box3317 t1_it95yip wrote

Say what you will about their food(some is great..Tag..others not so much..loch) but the experience and atmosphere they create is unique and they do a phenomenal job with it. Also they employe something like 1100 people which is nothing to sneeze at.

Nicktendo t1_it9vihn wrote

It's not unique though. They go to a good restaurant in another city, badly imitate it, and then charge a premium for it. They appeal exclusively to those with money that don't know what to do with it.

Purple_Box3317 t1_ita0sr4 wrote

I mean I wouldn’t put any of their restaurants on my list of faves in the city although I do like Tagliata and Monarque is also pretty good, but I think they put together a good solid experience. If I’m going out to eat I’m going to Prime Rib, Le Comptoir du vin, Magdalena, Alma.. places like that. This city has some amazing chefs that often get lost in the noise but I would say most of those aforementioned places don’t have the vive where you feel like you’re not in Baltimore except for maybe Prime Rib, where you feel like you’re about to get whacked at any given moment.

stinkyfeet420 t1_ita50ej wrote

Now I see your point, you like atlas bc of the strict “dress code” so you never have to feel uncomfortable or in your words “like you’re about to get whacked at any moment”

−4

Purple_Box3317 t1_ita7z66 wrote

You seem fun lol there is no dress code there any longer from the looks of it. Honestly I don’t feel very comfortable at most of the atlas places.. not my crowd.

Scrilla_Gorilla_ t1_it9b2wt wrote

If you mention an Atlas property on this sub it better be in the negative, or you’re gonna get downvoted. But there’s a reason they keep opening more restaurants. They appeal to somebody, and I suspect they aren’t exclusively patroned by conservatives who come to Baltimore City for dinner.

Purple_Box3317 t1_it9fjmx wrote

I honestly could care less. The reason we as a society can’t come together is because if you present an opinion that is contrarian to someone else’s chances are they yell racism or some other ism. I just asked for actual specifics and no one can ever give them to me.

−7

Admirable_Story_5063 t1_itabgmw wrote

The only experience and atmosphere they create seems to be for Instagram

Purple_Box3317 t1_itac91b wrote

Idk I stumbled into waterfront hotel on the opening night and they had a killer 90’s band. I also like what they did with the cup. To each his own I suppose

jabbadarth t1_it9o80m wrote

I was in waterfront hotel a few weeks back and the bartender was genuinely happy about them buying the restaurant. He said they came in and told everyone who wants to stay has their jobs and said they have lots of opportunity to move up in the company. I'm sure different employees have different experiences but that guy seemed to like his new employer

dopkick t1_it9joad wrote

I don’t see how they are killing the restaurant scene. A decade ago the restaurant scene here was much weaker than today. Much much weaker. There’s now a significantly larger number of great restaurants, despite Atlas opening more restaurants.

pandacorn t1_it9vz9s wrote

Would you rather have a restaurant scene that is owned by all the same corporation, or a variety of local investors?

dopkick t1_it9ws18 wrote

The restaurant scene IS owned by a large variety of individuals, though. Atlas has a fair number of properties (probably a dozen or so in Baltimore?) and is probably the largest single entity/group. However, there are significantly more places owned by non-Atlas entities that are superior in quality. Outside of Harbor East they have very little presence in the city.

pandacorn t1_itbrn10 wrote

Yeah, this is obvious that there are other ownership groups. they actually own around 20 in the region (and growing). but would it not be better for those areas like harbor east to have more diverse options? You look at the area in fells that is quickly changing. They now own waterfront hotel, choptank and admirals cup in fells (berthas is being sold as we speak). This city doesn't have that many tourist areas and it would be great if there was more diverse ownership in those specific sections of the city.

dopkick t1_itbw4y4 wrote

Fells Point has pretty diverse ownership, though. Ekiben and Thames Street Oyster House are regularly considered among the best in Baltimore. There’s plenty of other great places around there not owned by Atlas and outside of their usual portfolio - Thai Street, Kippo, Pitango, Sacre Sucre, etc.

Also, it’s not like the Cup and Waterfront are culinary masterpieces that offered a lot of diverse cuisine. They were/are your fairly typical standard fare for tourist areas, which can be found all across the nation. Considering the prevalence of these types of restaurants (I would include Barcocinia in the same category, as an example) there is obviously a high demand. I, personally, would prefer something else but it seems like a large number of people are not looking for exciting, unique options.

I feel like this is sort of a slippery slope type argument. I just don’t see Atlas taking over everything and crushing the competition. Also, it’s pretty common for the heart of tourist areas to not have the best restaurants. Those who care will manage to find their way a few blocks away from the water to Ekiben. Those who don’t… will probably love the Atlas experience.

pandacorn t1_itdg1rl wrote

The prevalence of those restaurants does not equal a high demand. People who choose to go out to eat don't choose who own those restaurants, they just want to go downtown.

Do you ever wonder why there are so many great authentic Mexican and South American restaurants on North Broadway, but you still will get a papis tacos near the waterfront? There just isn't much diversity in food,generally,in the tourist areas, and atlas doesn't help that.

Go to New Orleans and tell me there isn't a big difference in what is offered, not just in food, but in entertainment. That's just an example,phili and DC are also more diverse,if you want better local examples.

Crazy_Fruit_Lady t1_it9tja0 wrote

Also fairly crap in general as far as options for vegetarians/vegans, or so I have heard.

the-denver-nugs t1_itajw12 wrote

that's pretty much most upscale places tbh. chicken stock and the like is used in most french style cooking is pretty normal. usually you have a very limited menu for these sorts of things.

Electrical_Appeal_21 t1_itabfh1 wrote

Ok….then don’t go. Someone apparently likes it; otherwise, they’d be out of business.

I don’t understand people constantly complaining about Atlas. I’ve never been to one of their establishments and I won’t go…..end of conversation. It’s really that simple.

Avocadofarmer32 t1_it9ll4z wrote

I know I’ll get downvoted but this is about the food. I think it’s actually quite good. There’s a reason they are buying restaurants and there’s a reason their restaurants are constantly packed. If the food and ambiance wasn’t good, people wouldn’t continue to eat there no matter how much influence they have in Baltimore. I don’t care about these people at all!

bookoocash t1_ita90bk wrote

Ambiance is great at a place like Elk Room, but I can get similar, often better cocktails at other spots around the city for much less.

I even had a decent time at Choptank, but again, they’re charging a premium for something that I can get elsewhere for a lot cheaper and of equal, if not better quality.

I dunno. I don’t think they’re selling mediocrity, but they are certainly overcharging for what they offer.

the-denver-nugs t1_itak52n wrote

your absolutely right and I love the people saying it's to be Instagram friendly it's fucking funny. do you realize how many people that come to my restaurant just to post it on Instagram and take pictures? that is legit a market at this point. ambiance and feeling high class can get you guests lmao. also know a chef at one of the places, the food isn't bad at all for the price. fresh food has been expensive for like 3 years now. people don't realize in the last year alone a pound of chicken has gone from like $5 to like 10$ (just loose things but it has doubled pretty much in a year) which a double in price even 2.5$(8oz) to 5$ for chicken can make a grilled chicken breast go from 7.5$ to $15. in the industry we shoot for 30%-35% food cost as a standard.

imperaman t1_itcpak1 wrote

If food cost is 30-35% of the price of an entree, then if the food cost doubles, the price of the entree should increase by 30-35%.

the-denver-nugs t1_itxnd24 wrote

uhhhh did you do the math because say if the chicken doubles from $5 -%10. then 5X3=15 10x3=30. why would the price of the entree only increase 30%? granted you are somewhat right but not because of any reason you posted. labor/building arn't included which would change the pricing structure because with $5 chicken it's $10 profit. with $10 chicken it's a $20 profit. though also pricing for rent and housing also through the roof. and labor has also been more expensive than ever in the pandemic as we have had to pay more for servers, BoH, cooks, bartenders. we havn't doubled entree prices but we are incuring more expenses than ever before and probably should have.

dopkick t1_it9wyhw wrote

The ambiance is very Instagram friendly. The food is good but falls short of where it should be at the price point. There's certainly a lot better in the city at a variety of price points.

Bitsycat11 t1_it9zjmd wrote

They are literally billionaires who could have nothing but losses from all their restaurants and it wouldn't faze them at all, it would just be a tax write off. Them owning Harbor East/Fell's Point isn't about revenue, it's about power.

soibowmyhead t1_it9pr2x wrote

There’s a lot of reasons a restaurant, or any business really, could attract a lot of foot traffic/make a lot of money besides selling high quality goods. Being consistently mid is quite literally the selling point for these corporate restaurants, they’re in the same grouping as large chains like Cheesecake Factory or Olive Garden.

−1

Avocadofarmer32 t1_it9q7u0 wrote

I’m also curious if anyone who who constantly talks about how bad the food/ restaurants are have actually eaten there? Again, I’m not talking about what kind of people they are, this is strictly about the food.

dopkick t1_it9x1z4 wrote

The selling point is the ambiance. They realize that a large number of people are more interested in putting their dinner on Instagram than having a culinary experience.

Notpoligenova t1_itaaesw wrote

The food is fine, but they price it out of most people’s budget.

−2

the-denver-nugs t1_itajhz1 wrote

honestly their food isn't horrible as someone that works in restaurants. overpriced? ehhhh with how food prices have risen of late they are fairly decently priced at this point, slightly overpriced but ehhh your paying for service and ambiance as well in places like that. other places in fed hill or mt vernon can still make food and buy restaurants. hell they still can in fells, just they pay more because they are a rich family. like I've eaten there because I know a chef at one place from columbia md and just curious. it really aint that bad of places other than you know the racism which is why you shouldn't eat there. don't hate on the food, because for the price it isn't that bad with todays prices and the food chain shitshow that has been happening for like 3 years now.

NeatLeft t1_it8ts7f wrote

Anyone with enough money. Berthas will prob go for 4-5mil. Loonies on the square just sold for 3mil to the owner of El Buffalo. There are lots of hight rollers around town.

cobraac21 t1_it9ydb7 wrote

Absolutely not 4-5 mil the building does have some issues.

jupitaur9 t1_itbizdl wrote

The building can be fixed. And it’s a prime Fell’s Point location.

It’s the fifty year old established business and its reputation. Bumper stickers literally world wide. Everyone who goes to bars like it, knows about it, and few have anything negative to say.

why_grapefruit_why t1_itddo9x wrote

FYI that building is 100% fucked.

cobraac21 t1_itehb6x wrote

Hahaha I put it delicately. Absolutely true on the building. Also not even Waterfront went for a 1 million.

death_toad t1_itm50q7 wrote

the bulging on the side of the building in particular

DeathStarVet t1_it8y5bn wrote

A group that's less racist and whose family is less interested in spreading propaganda would be phenomenal.

Purple_Box3317 t1_it9882h wrote

Everyone says they are racist. I’d really like to see concrete proof. I’m not defending anyone but this is an absurd statement. Their staff is very diverse, their restaurants are highly patronized by the black community in Baltimore. I’ve always found this to be the dumbest knock on them.

−20

andrew_rides_forum t1_it9edbt wrote

Reddit thinks that the actions of one person making 45k a year that happened to be employed by Atlas at the time is sufficient to condemn the entire operation

dopkick t1_it9k537 wrote

Get out of here with your nuance. People on this sub love, love having an enemy. If it’s not Atlas it’s people from the counties. Or rich Texans buying up properties. Or elitists from DC invading. Or whatever the boogeyman du jour is. Everything is clearly black and white, good and evil, with clearly defined villains.

jiminycricut t1_it9efw8 wrote

Google is free

Purple_Box3317 t1_it9f81s wrote

Not sure I understand… there was 1 incident that was blown way out of proportion and turned into a money grab and there was another blow up about a dress code which was ironic because assuming ONLY black people wear jerseys and work boots is the definition of racist… but other than that I’ve not seen any serious concrete evidence.

Zealousideal_Snow401 t1_it9noru wrote

There is also a history of sexual harassment. Bartenders preying on girls and the management doing nothing about it. Also sexism with women managers.

andrew_rides_forum t1_ita5iou wrote

I hate to say this and it shouldn’t excuse behavior of that kind, but thinking that’s exclusive to Atlas is fucking stupid. That is the entire service industry.

Zealousideal_Snow401 t1_itc3kve wrote

Im not saying it doesn't happen anywhere else but one would think for a big group like this they would be a bit more vocal about doing something about it instead of sweeping it under the rug and pretend it didn't happend and trying to shut up people who do talk about it.

andrew_rides_forum t1_itg6lmv wrote

I get what you’re trying to say, but you’ve clearly never worked in the industry. Recommend sitting this one out.

Zealousideal_Snow401 t1_iti0s7z wrote

You clearly never experienced someone being racist towards you or being sexually harassed

hawkgamedev t1_it9vdcf wrote

I'm not going to look it up for you, but again and again when this topic comes up there is legitimate proof posted. Your post feels like gaslighting.

Purple_Box3317 t1_ita0zyr wrote

“Gaslighting” lol. This is the typical response when this topic comes up. Oh I don’t have time to show you actual evidence but it’s there! And then throw in a term like gaslighting or some other progressive word Du jour. I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything, I was just asking for specifics because to date no one has been able to show me a single one.

hawkgamedev t1_ita33a8 wrote

So you are this lazy every single time. I'm just pointing out how silly you sound saying "I never see any proof" when it has been posted quite often. It's not my job to educate you.

Purple_Box3317 t1_ita4g9p wrote

You are almost intentionally looking past what I’m saying .. either way this is exhausting and I’m bored of it.

goetzecc t1_itbk1rz wrote

I patronize the restaurants as one of my kids, who is queer, is employed by them as a musician. I go to see my kid, and I sit back and observe. I see extremely diverse staff and patrons, and what seems to be a positive work environment. My kid has had positive experiences in their venues, is paid better than market, and feels safe. The management I’ve seen is on the ball and professional. Granted, my view is narrowly of a subset of their properties but I’ve gotten to a pretty good sampling of experiences

I just don’t think they are the evil empire Reddit makes them out to be.

I also heavily patronize independent restaurants and music venues in the city so I see a lot.

Purple_Box3317 t1_itbofbj wrote

This is my point. There is this huge “Atlas is bad” movement online but it just doesn’t add up with the experiences I’ve ever had and no one can explain it to me. It’s always simply “they just are” I suppose it has a lot to do with their success? Jealousy maybe? The fact that the uncle owns Sinclair? Idk. It’s obviously a thing people hate , I have 11 downvotes on a comment where I’m simply asking a question 😂

DfcukinLite t1_itgresi wrote

Online? There’s don’t eat atlas all over this city.

dopkick t1_it8uktb wrote

Things are going to generally go to the highest bidder.

jwalker3181 t1_it9y91p wrote

I don't try to force my opinion on anyone, but I'm not going to give them my money no matter what restaurant they buy

DfcukinLite t1_it8z8qe wrote

Literally any other schmuck restaurant group but them.

YogurtHeals t1_itcrv7k wrote

Everyone seems to miss the point they’re already loaded and really don’t give a shit about food. They’re merely increasing their real estate portfolio and inflating their values.

Much like the orange man.

luchobucho t1_itbvcww wrote

I compare atlas group to what Stephen Starr was doing in philly 20-ish years ago. Opening heavily “themed”restaurants with acceptable, sometimes interesting food - but really focusing on the experience. The Starr group has a ton of properties. They definitely catalyzed the restaurant scene in philly when it wasn’t great. Tons of chefs who have come through the Starr “system” have gone on to open their own places and philly in the long run is better for it.

I would say similar things about the Garcés group as well.

Idontcare410 t1_itcyc9h wrote

Y'all cool with racism i see...fuck atlas forever

Illustrious_Listen_6 t1_itk22e1 wrote

Don’t care who takes over. As long as it doesn’t stay abandoned. This city can’t keep losing business/restaurants.

S-Kunst t1_itdn2tm wrote

In the end we don't get to choose. It will be Atlas, some other entity or the place will sit empty. One of the main problems with our system of urban life is that we, the residents, have little -no control on what goes on in town. The same is true for the surrounding counties. So much finger pointing, by people in the county against the city, yet they too have no real control over what happens, unless they rise up as a group. Looking at the history of Balt County, they did nothing to rein in Spiro Agnew who for years ran a "pay to play" operation in Balt County government. When he was lured away to be our nation's VP, he continued to shake down federal contractors for $$, but the good people of Balt County were silent.