Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

NewJeansBunnie t1_ja2sp7p wrote

Find books and genres that actually interst you.

prozacnzoloft OP t1_ja2t25f wrote

See that's the problem, I don't know what I like. I mean I do like fantasy novels but reading them feels like a waste of time. I don't learn anything useful form them. I want to read self-help and shi like that yk. Honestly, I feel like I need a book on how to read books.

cautioner86 t1_ja2tqmn wrote

Not a waste at all! You learn all kinds of human behavior, language, and critical thinking from fantasy novels.

BUT if you want to read nonfiction, there are genres within that too. Even within self help, do you want to learn about psychology, health, business, interpersonal skills? Or maybe you’d be interested in memoirs, narrative nonfiction, history?

My best suggestion is go to a library or bookstore if you can and tell them what you like and they will give you ideas. Even if you don’t have that access, try highly rated books from lots of different genres until you find something you like. Also, don’t do it because you think you should, do it because you want to. So if that means you enjoy fantasy then go for it, but if you want to learn things go for that too. Just don’t read because you think it looks good for you to be carrying around “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” or something like that.

just-kath t1_ja35x22 wrote

I came to suggest the library, too. You have given great suggestions here!

prozacnzoloft OP t1_ja2u0ww wrote

You know what you're right, Imma read Hp again soon, Thanks

thebluehydrangea77 t1_ja2udkr wrote

my tip is to sandwich books. read 1-2 books you really enjoy, then 1 book you wish you enjoyed but helpful. or even read them at the same time

people tend to look down on fictions but they're not useless. you gain a lot from fiction, including but not limited to imagination, how to express yourself better, a peek into others' lives and minds, and most importantly, empathy.

do you watch movies? do you enjoy movies? do you think watching movies is a waste of time? reading fictions is no different. they're all made up little stories that bring us joy. entertainment brings values to our lives but it often gets overlooked and dismissed.

NewJeansBunnie t1_ja2uirp wrote

I think you might like some of the classic novels that also have a deeper meaning or teaching attached.

The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut might be something you like.

Also I recommend: Brave New World, Slaughterhouse Five, Fight Club and The Rum Diary.

rasputin415 t1_ja2zq3d wrote

You don’t learn anything useful from fantasy books? You’re reading the wrong fantasy books then.

meghan_beans t1_ja3cq97 wrote

What do you like to learn about? Like I hate self help books, but I can read books about human evolution or dinosaurs like they're fiction and get really engaged.

Edit: I also find that for me, I'm much more engaged in non fiction if it's a physical book vs on my phone/kindle

LadybugGal95 t1_ja3i81q wrote

With some non-fiction, I’ve found audiobooks are easier. If there’s a bunch of technical/impossible to pronounce words, I’ve found listening to them didn’t interrupt my flow and made it easier to understand.

meghan_beans t1_ja3pmct wrote

I really really wish I could do audiobooks! I can't listen to podcasts either. Unless I'm taking notes, I can't remember to focus on it and then all of a sudden I realize I haven't heard like the last 10 minutes.

LadybugGal95 t1_ja3rp8k wrote

I mostly listen to them in the car or while shopping and sometimes cooking. In the car, they can be through the speakers. Otherwise I have to have them playing through ear buds. If I don’t, I lose focus as well.

trishyco t1_ja3pu1a wrote

If you’ve decided they are a waste of time in advance then you’ll definitely be tempted to quit reading. I read 24-7. I’m one of those people that has always had a book going since I was much younger than you. I only read things that are personally interesting to me and I don’t try to convince myself that they are supposed to be educational. Interesting, yes. Informational, maybe. But at it’s core it has to be a subject that I’m invested in. And you’ll never know where you’ll pick up some new knowledge. Sometimes current events and politics are in disguised in the pages of fantasy. I also alternate genres so I have a stream of concepts and ideas coming in and I don’t get stuck.

theannotator t1_ja30f99 wrote

Pick a selection of the top books right now and read the inserts description. Find a library and check some out. If you don’t like the book try another genre or author in the same genre. Or. Look at the shoes you enjoy and try something there assuming it isn’t home renovation or baking.

QuietLife556 t1_ja33hbf wrote

It also really doesn't have to be books per say. It can be web novels, audio books, Manga etc that's all reading homie, good for your brain. Fantasy novels often imagine humans in far more extreme circumstances and moral conundrums than real life, a good author will be able to inject incredible depth into their work.

Savannah_Lion t1_ja3ds9r wrote

Like others have suggested go to a library and speak with a librarian.

I started off with fantasy as a child (Wizard of Oz) and moved into SciFi (Arthur C. Clarke) then into macabre (Poe) then back into Fantasy when I had my own kids.

Now I read mostly technical or practical books. I love pre-80's engineering books.

Just because a book is a tome on North American spiders (read that when I was 8) doesn't mean it's not reading.

mom_with_an_attitude t1_ja3gt8t wrote

If reading feels like a waste of time to you, then it is hard to imagine you spending much time reading. Either you need to change that underlying belief or you need to go do whatever it is you think you should be doing that is not a waste of time.

LadybugGal95 t1_ja3k2xq wrote

It sounds like you need to build resilience. Think of it like this when a toddler doesn’t get what they want, what do they do? They through a fit. An adult (generally) not so much. That is because of emotional resilience. The adult has learned how to regulate their feelings and take the steps they need to in order to ultimately get what they want. That skill wasn’t learned overnight. In order to build that resilience with reading, you have to enjoy and finish books first. If you like fantasy, read fantasy. Once you’ve developed a habit of reading and built up your mental chops for reading a bit, then you can throw in a book that’s not your jam but will help you grow from time to time. At first, these books will be hard because you don’t like them. So, pick easier or shorter ones. You’ll get so those are tolerable in between the books you like. After a bit more of this, you start branching out more. That may be all you ever do. Or you may discover a new genre that you adore. The key is that it should never be something you force yourself to do all the time. Push yourself out of your comfort zone occasionally, yes, but if it’s a hard slog all the time, it’s not sustainable nor is it good for you.

ImaginationOwn9841 t1_ja3pqcl wrote

I think you should start reading books like ikigai (its one of my personal favourite self help books)

nascentnovice t1_ja3qdpi wrote

As a few others have mentioned, reading books you end up not liking is the best (maybe only?) way of figuring out what you actually don't like reading. You can then avoid it again in the future. And who knows, maybe you'll find character archetypes, plot points, and locations, you like in a book you otherwise end up not liking; also very helpful.

dogface2019 t1_ja3xb56 wrote

If your problem is you can’t read consistently but you know you like fantasy books, then don’t give up on them! You are not wasting your time by using leisure hours doing something you like. And you are learning from them - you are building your vocabulary/grammar skills, being exposed to new ways of human (and non-human) interactions/perspectives you wouldn’t otherwise be, and you are exercising your imagination! Think of it like a workout for your brain. Also, as others have said, I encourage you to not read just because you think it looks cool or sexy. That is literally being a poser which is the opposite. The guy who reads at a bar because he wants girls to think he’s smart is a notoriously lame archetype.

gnatsaredancing t1_ja2uapi wrote

It sounds like you like being seen as a reader more than the reading itself. Reading is easiest if you enjoy the act and can't put down a story or can't stop wanting to learn more from your text book.

If you don't have that, there's not much point in reading.

prozacnzoloft OP t1_ja2vrpc wrote

So just, give up on reading?

−1

gnatsaredancing t1_ja3gb3s wrote

There is no secret to reading. You either do it because you enjoy it or you don't. Forcing yourself to do it is rarely effective.

I'd suggest just trying different genres until you find something you can actually enjoy reading. Other than that, there really is no trick to it.

prozacnzoloft OP t1_ja2vwsj wrote

and you're not wrong, I do like being seen as a reader, I mean who wouldn't. Reading is sexy asfff. But I do want to read too, not just to be seen as a reader but to make better use of my time and actually learn stuff that I can use in my life

−9

Naturalnumbers t1_ja34b6j wrote

Carry around a copy of "Infinite Jest". If anyone asks you what it's about, just stare wistfully for several seconds and say "Life. Real life."

prozacnzoloft OP t1_ja36999 wrote

Damn💀

KovolKenai t1_ja3ms65 wrote

If you're looking for something fun and easy to read, DO NOT READ INFINITE JEST. That fucking book took like 4 months of my life and nearly killed my love for reading.

FrejaVanadis t1_ja2uit5 wrote

Start at the library to find what genre and authors you like before going out and buy a lot of books when you find what you like you can start building a collection

GhostCrows t1_ja2v3an wrote

I like novella's when I get in the space where I can't seem to finish a book (and it happens surprisingly a lot). Novella's have always helped me get out of that funk when nothing else will do.

As far as your guilt that fantasy novels are a waste of time... They aren't. Besides what cautioner86 says, they also teach you empathy.

Another thing is maybe try an ereader and borrow books from your library? You don't have to buy one either, there are many ereading apps available for free on your phone. My ereader is loaded with all sorts of books in many different genres, so when that mystery isn't working for me, and I'm suddenly in a gothic romance mood, I can switch it up.

T.Kingfisher has always helped me get out of a rut on reading. She does fantasy along with horror. My personal favorite is What Moves the Dead.

prozacnzoloft OP t1_ja2vp8z wrote

Any good ereaders you have in mind to recommend?

GhostCrows t1_ja2yg8a wrote

I have a Kobo Clara HD - which when my last one died (I dropped it many times) I got another one. I personally like it for all the customization you can do with it, but it's great un-modded as well.

GhostCrows t1_ja2yoai wrote

Also wanted to add - make time for reading! Ten minutes before bed, right when you wake up. I read a lot when I'm making dinner, like when it's just cooking and you are only there to stir... and right before bed. Then when a book really has my attention that's when you'll find me just reading as I'm walking about the house.

FrejaVanadis t1_ja2vuyk wrote

Also, don’t force yourself to read when you don’t feel like it. That will just put you of reading in the long run. Take a break when you feel like it, even in the middle of a chapter.

prozacnzoloft OP t1_ja2w9m9 wrote

I know you're trying to help but what you just described just feel illegal to me. Not forcing myself? I'll end up doing nothing productive if I don't force myself. And that leaving a book mid chapter that is just 💣💣 terror

−10

FrejaVanadis t1_ja2wpah wrote

You don’t have to leave it for a long time, maybe just 5-10 mins to collect your thoughts. And on the point of not forcing yourself it will start to feel like a chore after a while and not something you’ll enjoy doing. But whatever works for you is the best of course

SpeakingNight t1_ja2x77x wrote

Just making sure, do you actually like reading?

Like, have you ever truly loved a book to the point that you want to kiss the cover when you're done? You enjoyed every second of reading it? You're smiling and thinking THAT WAS EPIC!

If you don't enjoy reading, it's ok! It's a hobby like anything else.

If you do enjoy it but struggle and just want to do it more, put your alarm every day for 20 minutes and read for those 20 minutes, no distractions.

You'll see that reading becomes a daily habit that way, and you may even want keep reading after the 20 mins are up!

Bring your book with you when you leave the house too.

In terms of not finishing books often - maybe go for smaller books under 200 pages for a while?

Change up the genre too - a fast-paced horror book feels VERY different than a literary fiction story.

rudebish t1_ja2xnuo wrote

Maybe instead of reading with a goal in mind ie. “I want to be smart, I want to look smart, I want to learn X……” just read for the enjoyment of reading. Get lost in the words and imagery that the book provides. Feel the characters. Don’t think that reading X genre is silly; reading is reading and you learn a lot from reading anything - proper grammar, how to formulate words/phrases in every day life, how to write better, speak better etc.

I’m 47 and will read anything that is a good story. I tend to gravitate towards certain genres but am open to read anything that is well written with a good story/plot/interesting characters.

TheAbcedarian t1_ja2xwwu wrote

Go to a library and browse the non-fiction, I like non-fiction and that’s how I found out.

Ask the clerk for a staff member who is exceptional at “reader advisory”, that’s what we call it when we try to figure out what you’ll enjoy.

Library, library, library.

muralist t1_ja30vnc wrote

Great advice to browse in the library. Their job is to make reading seem fun so they can make a lot of suggestions or offer lists or displays to draw you in…they know what people like. Also a lot of public libraries have book clubs or meetups, it can help to have that kind of light social pressure to finish a book, and you will learn what other people have to say, why they think something is really good (or not), it can open up your mind to new things to look for when you read.

Chad_Abraxas t1_ja379yy wrote

Hi, friend! I'm an OLD PERSON so here's my advice from a lifetime of reading.

Books are great, but they're not the only format in town anymore. This society is technologically advanced compared to the one I was born into; you grew up using technology that was futuristic to my ancient ass. So maybe people of your generation just have a harder time sitting down and reading a paper book.

That doesn't mean you can't enjoy the many benefits of appreciating language and story as art forms.

Have you tried audiobooks? Personally, I love them. Even my ancient self has found that I prefer audiobooks to print nowadays, and that I prefer reading on my Kindle to reading on a paper book. I tend to retain more and read faster when I use an e-reader vs. an old-fashioned book-book.

Maybe tinker with formats and see if you find yourself feeling more engaged if you use the ebook or audio edition rather than the print edition. They're still books! The form they take is just changing as our tech advances.

sdurflinger t1_ja3tjqr wrote

Try "The Civil War", a huge set of books put out by Time Life. Illustrations are awesome as well.

BinstonBirchill t1_ja2tujf wrote

What do you want to get out of reading? The answer to that should give you a few directions you could go in.

I’m a big advocate of learning history, it obviously influences everything in the present. It can be studied endlessly, anywhere from the largest of scope to minute details of an individual life. History can inform your reading of literature, psychology, the authors you read, the social and political situations we find ourselves in today, all the way down to personal circumstances. Science can do the same.

Once you decide what you want to get out of reading it becomes easier to pick out books to achieve that.

audiomagnate t1_ja2v111 wrote

Get rid of your phone.

prozacnzoloft OP t1_ja2vlhf wrote

If it were possible, I would. I need phone for everything. Not talking about TikTok and stuff, I need it to text my friends and call home and shit

LovesBooks22 t1_ja3112t wrote

Go to the library and pick out 2-3 books you think you might be interested in (probably a mix of fiction and non-fiction). You can speak to the librarians about your interests and they can provide some recommendations. Then pick a book to start with and dedicate 30-60 minutes each day to reading that book. Try to make it a habit. If you really don’t enjoy the book you picked to start with, move onto the next book.

Something else you could try is finding a book that was turned into a movie that you might be interested in. Read the book first, then watch the movie and compare the two. Knowing that you will be able to watch the movie and then see the book come to life might provide some motivation to start and finish the book.

Head-Advantage2461 t1_ja35psx wrote

I know you so damn well. I did this. I’d recommend picking up one of those books again and finishing it from where u left off. I’ve done this more than once and most of the time it’s fine. Just did it with Midnight’s Children. Really did not like that story. Reading is a habit. Sticking to it is a habit. I’m reading two at a time (usually fiction and non-f, one actual book, one on Kindle) because it’s a habit. If u need a list t pick from there’s tons. Here’s one; https://thegreatestbooks.org/

thegaybookfox t1_ja373k2 wrote

I would start at the library and pick what interests you.

PegShop t1_ja3a4su wrote

Consider realistic fiction or memoirs about topics that interest you. This will help the books feel valuable while being more of a page Turner than nonfiction.

Sleeprs777 t1_ja3f5ut wrote

I thought when I started reading I would be all about romance novels, and I was.. but I kept getting bored. I ended up liking psychological thrillers. They seem to hold my interest. Just keep trying different genres.

lorddefiance t1_ja3fjqj wrote

Stop whining and pick up a fucking book then. Don’t stop until you’re halfway - then you might as well read the other half.

TheHip41 t1_ja3hggm wrote

Go to nearest public library and get a card

Go get Libby app. Find your library

You can download thousands of books directly to your phone

I also like paper white kindle. $100 and very nice.

As for books. As the librarian at your library. They do this for a living. They can get you started

Then start small. Have a goal of like 15 pages a day or 1 chapter or 3 chapters or whatever. It will become a part of your routine.

yeetedhaws t1_ja3ir9g wrote

I'll give you some advice that's contrary to what you're getting on this thread: make a commitment to finish a certain amount of books by the end of the month/year and dont start a new book until you finish the one you opened.

What it comes down to is a commitment. If you set a clear goal you'll feel pressured to keep up/bad if you fall behind. If you don't start a new book then you'll want to read the one your on faster in order to get through it. You have to make the conscious decision to put down your phone and read but it gets easier the more you do it.

Might also help if you read nonfiction, classics, or popular novels? That way you can talk to other people about it and be in the loop with your reading ("I just learned x" or "now i get that reference to y" or "I also read that new book/I need to finish this book before the next one comes out")

Tullamore1108 t1_ja3k306 wrote

Do you have any hobbies or interests? Maybe choose a book on that topic to start. For example, I once dated a personal trainer who wanted to read more. He was also into sports, so I told him to try a biographies of famous athletes and coaches. It worked. After a couple of those he moved into “food writing” (i.e. Anthony Bourdain’s Kitchen Confidential, Michael Pollen’s books). Maybe you could try a similar approach.

Also, try to be easier on yourself. It’s okay to not finish a book if you’re not into it. Life’s too short. And don’t feel like you need to read 100 books in a year. Just try to read for 10 minutes a day to start.

Good luck and happy reading!

balgram t1_ja3l2hb wrote

My strategy when I haven't read a book in a while is to go back to nostalgia. It's more important to develop the habit of reading than what you read.

I suggest going back and reading books from your childhood. Books that you loved. (For me, it's discworld.) You can now go back with an adult eye and you'll automatically analyze them a bit more than you did before. You can start there.

Once you're back in the habit, you can try other books from the same author, similar authors, or maybe you can switch genres and read more about something in the setting. You don't have to treat reading like a punishment or a chore. Find stuff you enjoy and try it. It's not bad to try a new book and give up after two chapters. Dip your toes into all kinds of water and find what you like.

seattle_architect t1_ja3oa9z wrote

What genre do you like: mysteries, romance, sci-fi…

Establish first what do you like.

Go to public place like park or library.

May be join book club or book’s discussions online.

Nice_Sun_7018 t1_ja3ot9u wrote

I’m always reading 2-3 books at a time. Some people say this is confusing, but for me it makes the most sense. Have a non-fiction, a sci-fi, and a classic. When you settle in to read, now you have a choice so you can match your mood. Maybe the non-fiction was what you wanted yesterday, but you want something different today. No problem! Two other choices ready to go.

ImaginationOwn9841 t1_ja3pk10 wrote

I guess show should start with thriller books so that you can get a habit of completing a book then you can go for other genres….verity by colleen hoover was one of the books I could stop myself reading from like dude i read that complete book in on go so if u like u can start with it .

VeritableSoup t1_ja3yxf8 wrote

Set aside 1 hour a day to read.

Tolkien is what made me fall in love with reading, now I devour anything fantasy.

Sometimes it just takes that 1 book.

History_fangirl t1_ja3zecg wrote

Maybe go to the library first as there’s not so much of a cash upfront cost so if you don’t read as much as you hope to, to start with you won’t feel guilty which can make a spiral of avoidance start.

I use the do not disturb function on my iPhone for reading now and I also try and leave it in another room so I have to physically get up to get it.

Start with books that are light and easy to get into. I’m reading Hilary Mantel ‘the mirror and the light’ at the moment and it’s a bit of a slog for me. I’ve already read 7 books this year including a Donna Tartt for context so even for me (I would describe myself as a reader and that reading gets me into flow) some books just don’t hit the right moment to bring out the positives of reading.

Most of all - have fun, don’t be hard on yourself and reading is for everyone and everything counts. You read a newspaper article - congrats, you read some dialogue on assassins creed - brilliant or read a few chapters of a book - amazing.

But also if reading isn’t your vibe then that’s fine too!

books-ModTeam t1_ja439lo wrote

Hi there. This subject has been very popular in the past. Please use reddit search and/or check the /r/books/wiki/faq.

Talamakara t1_ja44ci9 wrote

Lots of people are suggesting bookstores and libraries. I'd like to suggest "Used Bookstores" for a couple reasons.

1. is the obvious fact you can save tons of cash.
  2. They tend only throw out really wrecked books so you have a great deal of options.
  3. Every time i have ever gone the people there know what they have or how what kind of books to direct you to. They are there because they like books, not to collect a paycheck like the big box stores. Or at least in my experience.

Places like this may be able to help you find stuff you like and save you money.

mellie415 t1_ja4a5z7 wrote

If you are interested in science, there are so many out there that are engaging and fascinating whilst being informative. I love Mary Roach.. start w Stiff: what happens to your body after death. David Quammen nature essays, Oliver Sacks, about the brain, or Jon Krakauer...real life events told in amazing prose. I too am a lover of fantasy novels, tho!

cryptclaw t1_ja2t01t wrote

The hard part is find the kind of book you like, no one can tell which genres of book can like to you. Think about what you like more and just buy some book, not all of them will like to you, you will not end all of them. Just start and try

prozacnzoloft OP t1_ja2tevw wrote

ngl, I feel guilty when I don't finish a book. I feel like I've done something very very bad, like betrayed the book or something. It's so weird

cryptclaw t1_ja2ulny wrote

It’s the same for me. I usually, when I do not like a book simply stop it for a while and then I re-try it a bit later, maybe some changes make the book interesting for me. Then there some wrong buys that I can’t continue reading, it’s happen more often when you try some new genres

Priapraxis t1_ja391sr wrote

I would suggest trying to develop a desire to read that isn't almost entirely image based.

Siatre t1_ja3ltch wrote

try an audiobook! Also personally I don't like fiction so maybe you don't either! Saying "books" is like saying "food", that some people love eating but people don't just love eating any food, they love eating specific types of food. So maybe you haven't found your niche yet, but you have to keep exploring until you do, and that means finishing a book even if you don't want to!

tygerprints t1_ja3vhqs wrote

I learned to be a reader from my dad. He used to grab anything handy and read it us as kids - newspapers, magazines, poetry books, the bible, shakespeare plays, comic books, anything.

What I learned and is most fundamental to my reading pleasure is - it doesn't matter WHAT you read, so long as you read.

By being a consistent reader, your vocabulary will increase greatly, your comprehension will grow by leaps and bounds, and your ability to write will improve.

I credit my love of reading for helping me get several short stories published, and even in college my writing professors were impressed, commenting that they looked forward to reading my papers no matter what I wrote about.

So - just do it. Even if it means picking up a graphic novel or a comic, and starting there. Hell I still read horror comics for fun, and I'm 63 now, and I never want to stop.