Submitted by I_Am_Slightly_Evil t3_10mwf5g in books

There’s a series that I’m reading where the in the second chapter of the first volume main character gives a side character two items which they use the fist one just about right away. Later they use the second of the items given to them towards the end of the ninth volume.

Do you have other examples of long waits for when something is presented and used.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Deaf_Witch t1_j65lfes wrote

Blood Rites, Dresden Files #6.

Dresden tells one of his enemies, >!And next time, anvils!!<.

We didn't see the payoff on this until Battle Ground, Dresden Files #17. >!Dresden drops an anvil on an enemy.!<

So, 16 years, 11 volumes, and 2 collections of side stories later we finally got the pay off.

neckhickeys4u t1_j65lifc wrote

John Irving is good at this. A Prayer for Owen Meany comes to mind. When I first read Irving, he was frustrating because I wasn't sure he'd tie up loose ends. But he does wonderfully in Owen Meany (and also The World According to Garp).

mittenknittin t1_j65mela wrote

Well, it's not originally a book, but in the webcomic Gunnerkrigg Court, the main character loses an item in chapter 8, written in 2006.

She gets it back in chapter 60, written over 10 years later.

Whaffled t1_j65t43t wrote

In Sartre's Huis clos (No Exit), there's a coupe-papier on the mantlepiece that's mentioned in the first scene (it's like a letter opener, for cutting the page edges of new books --since in France books were often sold with uncut pages so customers couldn't read the books in the store).

It's only a one-act play, but the coupe-papier does get used in the last scene.

goldybear t1_j663bnd wrote

Peter Hamiltons Nights Dawn trilogy. He introduces an alien religion in the first book around 450 pages in. It becomes very important (and not seen again) until about 3000 pages later in book three, and no that number is not hyperbole.

wildfire393 t1_j668d4c wrote

Butcher is a master of the long game.

In Dead Beat (book 7), Dresden is being attacked by a former Denarian, and is in dire straits, and is lamenting "Where's Michael, where's the Knights of the Cross?" Who should show up to save his ass? >!Butters!< We don't think much of this at the time, as that's a character who was already involved in this situation.

But then, in Skin Game (book 15), >!Butters takes up one of the Swords and becomes a Knight of the Cross!<.

It's not as long of a gap as yours, but it's considerable foreshadowing of a major event, and not just a throwaway line into associated gag.

BuckleUpBuckaroooo t1_j668je7 wrote

I know people don’t care for it, and I can’t blame them, but Ready Player One actually did this pretty well.

hausermaniac t1_j66qu9w wrote

Fairly early on in Eragon, he is given a fortune/riddle and the final part of the fortune only comes to fruition near the end of the final book

Slickfiddy t1_j674dhz wrote

I feel like A Gentleman in Moscow pulled this off pretty well.

OneTrickRaven t1_j674fe5 wrote

Both of mine are in webcomics, unsounded and order of the stick. Both have had several such reveals many, many years after they were seeded.

CrazyCatLady108 t1_j67ahbt wrote

No plain text spoilers allowed. Please use the format below and reply to this comment once you've made the edit, to have your comment reinstated.

Place >! !< around the text you wish to hide. You will need to do this for each new paragraph. Like this:

&gt;!The Wolf ate Grandma!&lt;

Click to reveal spoiler.

>!The Wolf ate Grandma!<

mysteryofthefieryeye t1_j67g7cv wrote

Isn't the Harry Potter series full of these things? Stuff from book 1 resolves or is explained in like Books 5 and 7, etc etc (things from each book play roles in subsequent books)... I no longer have the memory to recall examples, but I was always impressed with her attention to detail or impressed by the amount of patience she had to keep so many secrets for so many pages.

lucia-pacciola t1_j67h62o wrote

Probably gonna be Kvothe's box from Name of the Wind.

BreqsCousin t1_j67rqzh wrote

Not exactly Chekov's gun but in The Wheel of Time (book series) there's a minor (named) character in The Eye of the World (1990) who shows up in A Memory of Light (2013). They do not feature and AFAIK are not referred to at any point in between.

Theduckbytheoboe t1_j67tdcd wrote

There’s a character who first appears in book five of Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey/Maturin series whose arc memorably concludes in book thirteen.

hour_of_the_rat t1_j67uiri wrote

The Rifle, by Gary Paulsen. The book starts off describing a rifle hanging over a fireplace mantel. The book ends >!with a character being shot and killed by it.!<

[deleted] t1_j689vbl wrote

Oh, about ten years or so for many of the ones started in the Kingkiller Chronicles. Still waiting, to be clear.

A_Gringo666 t1_j68bg7p wrote

Yes sorry your right. I forgot that. It's been a while since I read them and the show had a habit of blending multiple characters into one e.g Sansa/Jeyne. It's quite possible that Coldhands isn't Benjen.

My mistake.

OneTrickRaven t1_j68ffw4 wrote

It's gotten so, so much better. Some of the reveals are just... brilliantly executed. Lmk when you've caught up I'd love to hear your reactions. Also I cannot possibly recommend unsounded enough, it's gorgeous and bleak yet beautiful.

vanZuider t1_j68ly51 wrote

In the books, there's also a (somewhat) long setup for a literally shitty joke; in book 1 >! Twin Lannister !< is introduced, and it is mentioned offhand that some people joke about how he's probably >! shitting gold. !< Towards the end of book 3, >! he's shot while taking a dump, and his killer dryly notes that he did not, in the end, shit gold. !<

vivahermione t1_j68xos1 wrote

Early on in The Moon, the Stars, and Madame Burova, Billie, a woman who's looking for her biological parents, makes friends with a piano player. In the last couple of chapters, she learns that >!he's her father!<.

Hotguyntown t1_j6da38k wrote

The Charterhouse in “The Charterhouse of Parma” by Stendhal is not mentioned till the last page of 500 page novel.