Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MicahSolomonVernon t1_j4q0b2d wrote

I think it's weird to read only in order to relate to a character. Why? What purpose is there in only ever reading that which reinforces the way you feel? Is it not vastly more interesting to read perspectives that differ from your own, that you distinctly cannot relate to? Is this not the best thing about fiction, about art, to connect us to the world outside our own?

hour_of_the_rat t1_j4q4gg1 wrote

I've never found that identifying or not identifying with a character because of their gender was why I did or did not enjoy a book.

Choice_Mistake759 t1_j4qzbsy wrote

>I've never found that identifying or not identifying with a character because of their gender was why I did or did not enjoy a book.

Good for you, good pics. But a few times, yeah, I have been totally pulled off enjoying a book by characters behaving in ways that made no sense to me considering their gender and social circunstances which out some stresses, constraints which did not fit actions...

Jodorokes t1_j4q1dmf wrote

You’re right that books are incredible machines for developing empathy, and for opening a reader’s eyes to new experiences. But it’s easy to say this as a white man when the vast majority of fiction is dominated by people like you, and has been for centuries. I’m sure you have no trouble finding characters you can relate to.

−37

MicahSolomonVernon t1_j4q1hvf wrote

Actually, the opposite. I've only ever read one book with a character I relate to. It was written by a Palestinian woman.

EDIT: the book was Minor Detail by Adania Shibli (translated by Elisabeth Jaquette)—highly recommended

qwertycantread t1_j4u6f4r wrote

Meh. As a white male I have only rarely read a book or seen a movie where I think that person is very much like me. Minorities seem to feel a lack when they consume media based on assumptions of how they think white people experience it. There are all kinds of anecdotes about people crying over a black superhero or whatever because they finally see themselves on the screen. The truth is (from my limited perspective) that white people rarely relate personally to the characters on screen or the page and that’s really not the goal for the reader or viewer. I would compare it to people who were adopted who feel they are missing out on something vital that every other child experiences and it’s just a false perception at its core.

turboshot49cents t1_j4swtsr wrote

Do you know for sure that this user is a white man?

Jodorokes t1_j4to7lh wrote

Yeah quick look at his post history, also look at his avatar lol

pghgal85 t1_j4rgu44 wrote

>the vast majority of fiction is dominated by people like you

"People like you"? Wow...misogynistic much? That one phrase is likely the reason you're being downvoted so much.

−2

y_onizuka t1_j4ruj57 wrote

Hahahaha, re read his comment slowly

Jodorokes t1_j4sh68k wrote

Yeah I feel like I’m being unfairly downvoted here haha. I’m just saying if you’re a white guy, you’ll have no trouble finding writers who have a similar background to you.

pedestrianpinniped t1_j4uxpwz wrote

Wtf is mysogynistic about that? It's an accurate statement up until the last 30-40 years. people these days are so fucking ridiculous I swear.