Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Smith-WessonPat t1_iu4vu33 wrote

What is the point of an unloaded, trigger-locked home-defense firearm? I have a small pistol safe in my bedroom so that I can keep it loaded and ready to rock.

−5

JoshSidekick t1_iu55cws wrote

I hope we don’t read about it later, then.

Smith-WessonPat t1_iu55qoz wrote

What is the point of a safe if you are going to leave it unloaded and and put a trigger lock on it. What good will that be if you ever actually need it in an emergency?

−2

DooDooBrownz t1_iuhxlsg wrote

same as a loaded one under your pillow. what are you fucking rambo to whip out a pistol and start blasting any time you hear a noise?

Smith-WessonPat t1_iuhzzyc wrote

What the hell do you think people get gun safes for? To keep them secure but accessible. A trigger lock on a gun that is in a safe is just stupid.

HeartFullONeutrality t1_iu5d0n8 wrote

The point is that no one gets killed accidentally.

Smith-WessonPat t1_iu5dh3u wrote

That is just silly. That is what the safe is for. An unloaded gun, in a safe, with a trigger lock on it is not going to be available for you to use in an emergency.

HeartFullONeutrality t1_iu5ec8i wrote

Is the USA such a shithole country that people routinely engage in shootouts with armed intruders in their own homes? Must be terrifying to live there.

Smith-WessonPat t1_iu5f24p wrote

Absolutely not, but it does happen from time to time even in the safest areas. People who are unfortunate enough to live in really unsafe areas have a much higher likelihood of needing a firearm to protect themselves at some point. Keeping a firearm in a safe, with a trigger lock, and unloaded makes it completely useless. Why would you even bother having a firearm that can't save your life if you needed it to? So dumb...

HeartFullONeutrality t1_iu5itv5 wrote

Well the question is... Can they truly save your life, or is it just placebo? Multiple countries (richer, poorer, safer, more violent) seem to do just fine without them...

Smith-WessonPat t1_iu5mlve wrote

Guns aren't going anywhere in the US so it is prudent to know how to actually use them. That train has already left the station; bad people will always be able to get guns so I want to have mine as well. I am very proficient with firearms as it is a hobby of mine and I spend a lot of time shooting. A hobby that has a side benefit of being able to protect my family if that unlikely event ever occurs.

frenetix t1_iu5kscf wrote

I'm generally pro-2A, and I don't care if you want to sleep with a loaded gun under your pillow with your arms around a warm AR-15 if that's what you're into, that's your right. But the right to be in control of a device that is intended to kill others ("save your life", as you say, since when you shoot someone you don't have any control if they live or die), implies that you should also have the responsibility to not let that firearm into the hands of someone who could use it to harm themselves or others. Like a 7 year old. Or a thief. And that having that responsibility means you should face consequences for letting that happen. So if you don't want to lock your shit up, it's on you if it goes missing and causes harm.

I enjoy shooting, but I don't own my own guns because I don't want to bear that responsibility. If you do, that's great, but you should pay the consequences if you fuck up.

Smith-WessonPat t1_iu5n49t wrote

Did you read a single thing I said? My two bedroom pistols are in a safe that my 7 and 9 year old kids can't get into. Since they are in the safe, why would I put a trigger lock on them? The safe is going to slow me down enough as it is in an emergency but it is a necessary thing. Having to then remove a trigger lock and load the gun after opening the safe makes absolutely zero sense.

frenetix t1_iu5p9ei wrote

You do you, my man. All I'm saying is that in exchange for being prepared for an emergency in this way, you should bear the responsibility if things get out of your control.

Smith-WessonPat t1_iu5ptpr wrote

What is getting out of my control with having my guns in a safe in my bedroom? This is insanity.